PDA

View Full Version : Hacker Group Claims to have Mitt's Taxes, Demands Ransom

scott
09-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Sorry if already posted (shocked I didn't see it already, tbh)

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/06/politics/romney-tax-threat/index.html

Group claiming to have Romney tax records threatens to leak them

(CNN) -- An anonymous group says it stole copies of GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney's tax records and will release them unless the company it stole them from pays $1 million.

The Secret Service said it is investigating, and the company said there is no immediate sign that any such theft took place.

"Using your office" in Franklin, Tennessee, the group tells PricewaterhouseCoopers in an online posting, "we were able to gain access to your network file servers and copy over the tax documents for one Willard M Romney and Ann D Romney."

Group needs to be prosecuted, but I still find this story hilarious.

baseline bum
09-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Only demanding $1 million is the funniest part. :lol

clambake
09-07-2012, 04:09 PM
he didn't pay taxes.....so how could there be any documents? har har

Wild Cobra
09-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Another liberal whack job in the news...

Spurminator
09-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Sounds far-fetched. If they really had them, they'd gain credibility by releasing one piece of it that is not already public knowledge.

Given that they're also asking for donations from people who DO want them released, sounds like that's where they're really hoping/expecting to get their "ransom."

I'm not buying it.

Spurminator
09-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Interesting that the Secret Service needs to be involved in this, though.

Wild Cobra
09-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Interesting that the Secret Service needs to be involved in this, though.
They are required to respond to such things. That has no merit on the credibility.

Wild Cobra
09-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Sounds far-fetched. If they really had them, they'd gain credibility by releasing one piece of it that is not already public knowledge.

Given that they're also asking for donations from people who DO want them released, sounds like that's where they're really hoping/expecting to get their "ransom."

I'm not buying it.
I agree. This is just some lame jerk getting his jollies and 15 minutes of fame.

Spurminator
09-07-2012, 06:20 PM
They are required to respond to such things. That has no merit on the credibility.

I know it doesn't mean they're credible, I just question whether a threat to release tax records should warrant secret service involvement.

Wild Cobra
09-07-2012, 06:21 PM
I know it doesn't mean they're credible, I just question whether a threat to release tax records should warrant secret service involvement.
It isn't about the tax returns, but the method of how they possibly could have received them.

scott
09-08-2012, 07:16 AM
It isn't about the tax returns, but the method of how they possibly could have received them.

I think Spurm's point is that the method about they would have obtained them seems like it would be under the jurisdiction of local law enforcement.

DMX7
09-08-2012, 07:44 AM
he didn't pay taxes.....so how could there be any documents? har har

He probably got a refund.

boutons_deux
09-08-2012, 08:09 AM
"he didn't pay taxes.....so how could there be any documents"

Gecko has to file, so There Will Be Documents, and with all the evasion and avoidance documents prepared by wealthy professionals, there's probably 10s of pages, every year.