PDA

View Full Version : Al Jazeera - Friend or Foe?

Slomo
09-10-2012, 06:19 AM
Al Jazeera articles regularly pop up in my Flipboard news feed, and if the subject interests me I read them without hesitation. As a general rule if in my opinion an article is very good or very bad I usually make a note of the source - and this has not put Al Jazeera on my radar, which would suggest to me a middle of the road type of reporting.

I started paying attention because a few weeks back people in this forum where refusing to click on an Al Jazeera news link because they were afraid they will end up on some watch list.

Today a person I know has been called out by another person I know just because she posted (not on ST) an internet meme that used a photo coming from Al Jazeera (the photo, not the meme).

So this is what I would like to know:

- Is Al Jazeera in your opinion a dangerous, pro-terrorist organization? Why?

- Do you avoid Al Jazeera's news? Why? Is it because you think you will end up on some sort of a list or because you are afraid of their influence/effect?

- Do you have access to Al Jazeera TV on your cable/satelite/IPTV package? Do you ever watch it?

AussieFanKurt
09-10-2012, 06:38 AM
They play the news here sometimes and it seems fine to me. Never thought they were pro-terrorist or anything but I could be wrong

boutons_deux
09-10-2012, 06:39 AM
I don't follow Al Jazeera, but the very few articles RSS'd to me seemed serious.

A couple of days ago they had an informed article on Apple's "kill switch" patent for mobile devices, the perfect tool for authoratarian regimes, like USA and Muslim countries.

Also, I've seen stories on world affairs, NOT about Muslims, that aren't covered in the myopic, we-gotta-sell-ads-and-sell-out corporate press.

But, they're Muslims, we're "Christian haters", so we gotta demonize and kill ALL of them before they force USA to replace the Constitution with the Koran and to follow sharia law. :lol

I wonder if the AJ in Arabic is as serious, non-inflammatory against The Great Satan.

Slomo
09-10-2012, 07:31 AM

I wonder if the AJ in Arabic is as serious, non-inflammatory against The Great Satan.

That's a good question.

I quickly googled it and it seems the two version are independent from each other and produce two channels that are not identical. Couldn't find any info if the Arabic version was less objective and more militant.

Drachen
09-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Al Jazeera articles regularly pop up in my Flipboard news feed, and if the subject interests me I read them without hesitation. As a general rule if in my opinion an article is very good or very bad I usually make a note of the source - and this has not put Al Jazeera on my radar, which would suggest to me a middle of the road type of reporting.

I started paying attention because a few weeks back people in this forum where refusing to click on an Al Jazeera news link because they were afraid they will end up on some watch list.

Today a person I know has been called out by another person I know just because she posted (not on ST) an internet meme that used a photo coming from Al Jazeera (the photo, not the meme).

- Do you avoid Al Jazeera's news? Why? Is it because you think you will end up on some sort of a list or because you are afraid of their influence/effect?

- Do you have access to Al Jazeera TV on your cable/satelite/IPTV package? Do you ever watch it?

No, they seem to be a pretty level-headed news organization.

No. If you are afraid of being on some watch list, you probably shouldn't be on the internet.

I have never specifically searched them out so I don't know

RandomGuy
09-10-2012, 09:35 AM

Very uneven.

From what I have seen, they have some really really good reporters that put large media conglomerates to shame.

At the same time, they have some rank amatuers contributing some really really poor bits that I had to simply shake my head about.

The good thing about it is that it is a view into Arabic and muslim points of view that is missing in most western media, for good or ill.

Because they cater to that demographic, you do get some decidedly "Death to Israel" sentiments and coverage, but at the same time, there is no self-censorship of reporting on the shitty things Israel does, and continues to do.

The answer to your questions are:

No.
No, because it is worth seeing what other people think, even if you don't always agree with it. Just apply a modicum of critical thinking, and you are fine.
Don't have Al Jazeera, but do read and watch it occasionally online.

TeyshaBlue
09-10-2012, 09:39 AM
I work for a major media conglomerate. The prevailing view of Al Jazeera is very much inline with RG's take. Their legit stuff is pretty good. Their amateur stuff seems to be entirely un-vetted.
I don't hit that at work tho. Mainly at home.

TDMVPDPOY
09-10-2012, 10:16 AM
they are just reporting news the west coglomites refuse to release on their networks cause it doesnt benefit whatever agenda they have....

i only watch it cause the only free to air channel in my country thats worth watchin, while the rest has wankers and no talent hacks shoved down our throats on reality tvs and bullshit competition/cooking shows...

TeyshaBlue
09-10-2012, 10:18 AM
they are just reporting news the west coglomites refuse to release on their networks cause it doesnt benefit whatever agenda they have....

Ummmm....no.

DMC
09-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Anything outside of US reality TV News is more honest. I miss Baghdad Bob.