PDA

View Full Version : GOP delegate: Children with disabilities are God's punishment for past abortions

djohn2oo8
09-11-2012, 12:53 PM
GOP Delegate Says that Children with Disabilities are God’s Punishment for Past Abortions

Virginia GOP Delegate Bob Marshall is likely going to be abandoned by many of his Republican colleagues after making a statement that some might find to be quite objectionable. During a press conference to discuss cutting funding for Planned Parenthood, Marshall attacked the organization relentlessly. That part of his speech would get applause from most of the GOP.

The part of the speech that might cause him to lose a few friends is when he seemed to be saying that women who have children with disabilities are being punished by God for getting abortions in the past.

“The number of children who are born subsequent to a first abortion with handicaps has increased dramatically. Why? Because when you abort the first born of any, nature takes its vengeance on the subsequent children,” said Marshall.

“In the Old Testament, the first born of every being, animal and man, was dedicated to the Lord. There’s a special punishment Christians would suggest.”

Marshall goes on to say that Obama’s health care reform legislation seeks to “take your soul.”

http://www.kulturekritic.com/2012/09/news/gop-delegate-says-that-children-with-disabilities-are-gods-punishment-for-past-abortions/#

Homeland Security
09-11-2012, 12:57 PM
GOP Delegate Says that Children with Disabilities are God’s Punishment for Past Abortions

Virginia GOP Delegate Bob Marshall is likely going to be abandoned by many of his Republican colleagues after making a statement that some might find to be quite objectionable. During a press conference to discuss cutting funding for Planned Parenthood, Marshall attacked the organization relentlessly. That part of his speech would get applause from most of the GOP.

The part of the speech that might cause him to lose a few friends is when he seemed to be saying that women who have children with disabilities are being punished by God for getting abortions in the past.

“The number of children who are born subsequent to a first abortion with handicaps has increased dramatically. Why? Because when you abort the first born of any, nature takes its vengeance on the subsequent children,” said Marshall.

“In the Old Testament, the first born of every being, animal and man, was dedicated to the Lord. There’s a special punishment Christians would suggest.”

Marshall goes on to say that Obama’s health care reform legislation seeks to “take your soul.”

http://www.kulturekritic.com/2012/09/news/gop-delegate-says-that-children-with-disabilities-are-gods-punishment-for-past-abortions/#

Jeebotards are the gift that keeps on giving.

boutons_deux
09-11-2012, 01:02 PM
and the "balanced", equivalent (religious) insanity on the Dem side?

:lol

Homeland Security
09-11-2012, 01:07 PM
and the "balanced", equivalent (religious) insanity on the Dem side?

:lol

That would be you.

coyotes_geek
09-11-2012, 01:31 PM
If republicans knew what was good for them, and they clearly don't, they would never, ever, ever, ever, ever talk about abortion ever again. I think they should drop it from the platform all together, but at a bare minimum they should STFU about it at least until they can figure out a way to talk about it without embarassing themselves.

CosmicCowboy
09-11-2012, 01:34 PM
if republicans knew what was good for them, and they clearly don't, they would never, ever, ever, ever, ever talk about abortion ever again. I think they should drop it from the platform all together, but at a bare minimum they should stfu about it at least until they can figure out a way to talk about it without embarassing themselves.

x2

Homeland Security
09-11-2012, 01:40 PM
If republicans knew what was good for them, and they clearly don't, they would never, ever, ever, ever, ever talk about abortion ever again. I think they should drop it from the platform all together, but at a bare minimum they should STFU about it at least until they can figure out a way to talk about it without embarassing themselves.
Best I can figure is that some of these extreme Christian social conservatives did some soul-searching over the past four years trying to figure out where things went wrong and getting back to their roots.

Apparently they found their roots somewhere between the 1st and 4th centuries AD and their political speech now reflects that.

Ginobilly
09-11-2012, 01:43 PM

Is there any statistics of women who have had abortions giving birth to kids with disabilities? I once heard from a TV show that abortion could damage the reproductive system of a women, thus casing the birth defects. But who knows??

Wild Cobra
09-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Anyone have an actual video of the speech?

I don't doubt be said something to that effect, but what exactly did he say? I remember years ago learning that abortions do cause possible problems for future childbirth. There is medical documentation on this. I never heard it applied to having handicapped children though. What if his words are true?

baseline bum
09-11-2012, 01:51 PM

Why would they give up the fundamentalist christian voting bloc? It's an enormous gain for them with the biggest group of single-issue voters.

coyotes_geek
09-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Is there any statistics of women who have had abortions giving birth to kids with disabilities? I once heard from a TV show that abortion could damage the reproductive system of a women, thus casing the birth defects. But who knows??

Whether or not there's a correlation isn't my point. I honestly don't know if there is such a correlation or not. Let's assume there is. There's an intelligent way to use that information and a way to take that piece of information and make yourself sound like a loon.

Intelligent way: "Among the reasons why I'm opposed to abortion is the increased likelihood of disabilities an abortion creates for future pregnancies."

Way to make yourself sound like a loon: "Disabilities are punishment from God for previous abortions."

Wild Cobra
09-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Whether or not there's a correlation isn't my point. I honestly don't know if there is such a correlation or not. Let's assume there is. There's an intelligent way to use that information and a way to take that piece of information and make yourself sound like a loon.

Intelligent way: "Among the reasons why I'm opposed to abortion is the increased likelihood of disabilities an abortion creates for future pregnancies."

Way to make yourself sound like a loon: "Disabilities are punishment from God for previous abortions."
Yes, tact is very important in politics.

coyotes_geek
09-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Why would they give up the fundamentalist christian voting bloc? It's an enormous gain for them with the biggest group of single-issue voters.

I think if the GOP would just drop the entire social side of their agenda they'd gain far more independents and libertarians than they'd lose fundamentalists.

"But CG", you might ask, "of course you'd think that since you like to think of yourself as an independent/libertarian." To which I would have to respond..........................you got me, I've got nothing. :depressed

CosmicCowboy
09-11-2012, 02:48 PM

Why would they have to give that up? The fundamentalist aren't suddenly going to start voting for the heathen democrat antichrists.

Clipper Nation
09-11-2012, 02:52 PM

You're forgetting that the Jeebotards can still use gay marriage as a rallying cry for the fundie hillbillies, tbh.....

baseline bum
09-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Why would they have to give that up? The fundamentalist aren't suddenly going to start voting for the heathen democrat antichrists.

But a lot will stop voting without abortion an issue.

Drachen
09-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Tsk Tsk Sarah Palin

elbamba
09-11-2012, 03:48 PM
But a lot will stop voting without abortion an issue.

Single issue voters? They still have the homosexuals to hate. Duel-issue voters.

Homeland Security
09-11-2012, 03:49 PM
You can also mention Chick-fil-A.

boutons_deux
09-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Single issue voters? They still have the homosexuals to hate. Duel-issue voters.

and against gay marriage

and against contraception

and against their economic selves.

Wild Cobra Kai
09-11-2012, 10:48 PM

Fallacy. The GOP edge in SO many places is so razor thin, those people don't have to switch sides, they just have to stay home, and not too damn many of them. You're the ones the GOP knows will stick around for their Jeebotard party.

monosylab1k
09-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Those comments are two years old.

Uploaded by ppavvirginia on Feb 23, 2010
4bE9V_ioBH4

Jacob1983
09-12-2012, 01:37 AM
What about the economy?