PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Raja Bell

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2005, 03:43 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_raja_bell.jpghttp://www.nba.com/jazz/images/jazz_logo.gif

Raja Bell | 19
Position: G
Born: Sep 19, 1976
Height: 6-5 / 1,96
Weight: 210 lbs. / 95,3 kg.
College : Florida International '99

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/raja_bell/index.html)

He'd be great to bring in as a backup to Bruce and an eventual replacement. Strong defensive ability and he's got a solid outside shot. I think his price range would be in the range of what the Spurs would have left over of the MLE after they sign Scola.

texbumTHElife
06-25-2005, 03:45 PM
I wanted him a couple of years ago but I have heard/read he has some serious issues. He can tear a locker room apart etc.

Tobias
06-25-2005, 03:47 PM
Yeah, hes got some issues. I'd like him, but we have Bruce and he's not a viable rerplacement as hes just about as old. (And he's actually dirty)

coachtf
06-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Yes Sir MB on the same page once again my friend. I love the guy and think that he would make an excellent addition to the squad. Question is what about Devin? Pop would have to probably decide between the two IMO. I love Devin Brown and I think if he can get healthy the guy is going to be a big weapon on both ends off the bench for us next year.

Raja would do fine in the silver and black!

Gummi
06-25-2005, 03:53 PM
We have a player just like him in Devin Brown. He would demand much more then Devin will so I don't see that happening. Nice player though.

usckk
06-25-2005, 03:55 PM
Ya. I'll take Brown over him.

smeagol
06-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Wouldn't he command too much?

ChumpDumper
06-25-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm sure he wants more PT than he'd get here. Why would anyone in the prime of his career sign to rot on the bench waiting for Bruce to slow down?

Mark in Austin
06-25-2005, 05:22 PM
I really think the ideal replacement for Bruce would have more length that Raja has. Since this isn't an immediate need, the Spurs can afford to look around some more. And Chump makes a good point for not having the PT to give him. I'd like to see what The Third and Devin can do fully recovered too.

Raja brings it on D though. No doubt about it.

Horry For 3!
06-25-2005, 05:29 PM
Raja worked out for the Spurs before Sean said and he kinda wanted him but it didn't work out.

Sense
06-25-2005, 05:42 PM
Bell is nothing but a scorer, he does nothing else.. I used to have him on my fantasy team... gotta tell you he's a very bad choice.

clubalien
06-25-2005, 05:53 PM
bowens replacment should be artest

T Park
06-25-2005, 07:16 PM
bowens replacment should be artest

No thanks.

Guru of Nothing
06-25-2005, 09:22 PM
I agree with MIA.

I like Raja, but 6'5" gives me a little reason for pause. If he can approach Bowen's defensive tenacity, then length becomes less of an issue.

As the NBA game evolves, the SF position grows taller. If you are building a team for the near future, the Spur's 3 will have to matchup with the likes of Tmac, Tayshaun, Marion, Rashard (and dare I even say Dunleavy). Along these lines, I prefer the DeMarr Johnson.

Then again, I'd prefer Raja if D-ing up against Kobe, Carmelo, or Artest (and maybe Josh Howard).

And then there is Sandikize (spellcheck) .... and the first round pick this Tuesday.

Alternate wild-ass suggestion, given the "get out of luxury tax jail" card each team has: Tim Thomas. The Spurs and Knicks do have a working relationship between their front offices. Inexplicably, if it came down to it, I'd prefer Tim Thomas over the likes of Rahim.

E20
06-25-2005, 09:23 PM
I love it when MB posts profiles like this over the summer with all the off season dealings and shit.

CIA MB

spurster
06-25-2005, 10:34 PM
It's not clear that posters know that Bell already had a Spurs stint. I think he got noticed by the Spurs first, I', not sure. Since then, he has continued to improve. He would not be a bad addition, but I think Devin would be equivalent, if not better, as long as his back is ok.

xcoriate
06-25-2005, 11:52 PM
I think hes a great option but hes a 2 guard really his tenacious and a great defender but we really need another 3 as appose to a 2 guard that can fill in, as we alreadt have Brent, Brown, Manu and Bowen. G-Rob in the only legitimate 3 we have IMO.

DeMarr Johnson is certainly intruiging, former lottery pick had an accident trying to revitalise his career...

Not much muscle on him though. His certainly long, athletic and has a decent stroke form outside. If you can get him playing D that would be an awesome pickup.

wildbill2u
06-26-2005, 02:09 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_raja_bell.jpghttp://www.nba.com/jazz/images/jazz_logo.gif

Raja Bell | 19
Position: G
Born: Sep 19, 1976
Height: 6-5 / 1,96
Weight: 210 lbs. / 95,3 kg.
College : Florida International '99

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/raja_bell/index.html)

He'd be great to bring in as a backup to Bruce and an eventual replacement. Strong defensive ability and he's got a solid outside shot. I think his price range would be in the range of what the Spurs would have left over of the MLE after they sign Scola.

Too short to guard long SFs and head case possibly. What does he give us that Devin doesn't--and Devin's too short as well. I don't think he'd fit into the team.

SequSpur
06-26-2005, 02:11 PM
Raja Bell sucks.

ALVAREZ6
06-26-2005, 02:15 PM
Raja Bell is a chump ass bitch that got like 2 flagrant fouls in one game, both on Manu, or something like that this season. Stupid little complaining bitch. We don't need him.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 02:25 PM
1. Bell is big enough. It's not like Bruce is that big himself.

2. Perhaps Brown would get the backup 3 minutes. You have the uncertainty surrounding his back injury.

3. Bruce is 34 now. I don't care who he is, that's fairly old for a perimeter player. Why pass on an opportunity to add an ideal replacement today?

Kori Ellis
06-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Pop loves Raja Bell. timvp and I were talking about this when we were driving home right now. Raja might be a good option, but by the time Bowen retires, then Raja Bell will be almost 32. So I wouldn't do it. I would rather they find a young long 3 right now and have him on the bench as Bruce-in-Training for the next 2 seasons.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2005, 02:31 PM
Raja Bell is good, but I don't know what he gives us that a healthy Devin does not. I just don't think it's in the cards.

bigzak25
06-26-2005, 02:48 PM
i'm aboard the bring raja bell to the spurs bandwagon...good call MB.

i love devin, but i think raja is definitely a better defender...and i'd really like to see what LJ3 can bring as well.

timvp
06-26-2005, 03:39 PM
In a perfect world, Bell would be an awesome Bowen replacement. He's only one of a handful of players who could eventually do what Bowen does. The only problem is he might already be too old and Bowen might stick around longer than we think. In NBA years, Bowen is still pretty young. Remember he didn't start getting minutes until around he was around 29. If he lasts three more years, that makes Bell too old to be Bowen's replacement at that time.

But either way, he's a Pop favorite and someone who I wouldn't mind seeing on this team. My favorite thing about him is he's he's probably the dirtiest player in the leauge ... so it's better that he's on your team.

T Park
06-26-2005, 03:42 PM
agreed.

Bell has some big game shootin in him as well

ala 01 NBA Finals.

Mark in Austin
06-26-2005, 03:48 PM
My favorite thing about him is he's he's probably the dirtiest player in the leauge ... so it's better that he's on your team.

:lol There's some serious irony in somebody so against bringing Malone in last year making this statement.

Don't get me wrong... I was against Malone too. Just a surprising rationalization from you, timvp.

timvp
06-26-2005, 04:22 PM
:lol There's some serious irony in somebody so against bringing Malone in last year making this statement.

Don't get me wrong... I was against Malone too. Just a surprising rationalization from you, timvp.

I didn't care that Malone was dirty. I just hated him for being a Drama Queen.

[insert slomo's pic]

:smokin

foodie2
06-26-2005, 04:26 PM
Did Bell not play for the Spurs one summer, and not make the team? If Pop liked him so much, why didn't he?

timvp
06-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Here's the Raja Bell story:

After the 2000 season, the Spurs ran an open camp to look for a guard. Players included Raja Bell, Damon Jones and about ten other guards. The camp lasted a couple days and after it was over, Pop said the player that stuck out the most was Bell.

The Spurs invited him to training camp and the final cut was between Bell and Derrick Dial. Buford wanted Dial, Pop wanted Bell. The Spurs decided to go with Dial.

Then later that year, the 76ers had some injury problems and needed a guard. Pop called Larry Brown and suggested Bell. Bell played well and even came up big in the Finals that year.

After the Championship in '03, the Spurs almost signed Bell but decided to go with Devin Brown instead.

T Park
06-26-2005, 04:46 PM
interesting.

Wonder if they can get Bell now.

or will he command too much money.

whottt
06-26-2005, 08:01 PM
:tu to Bell.

Raja Bell is right there with Manu as being one of the fiercest competitors in the NBA...If the Spurs signed him? He'd beat out Devin and Barry...Not a doubt in my mind.

This guy is tough as nails and he is a great defensive player...he d'ed up on Parker a couple of years ago...he did a great job on him. So he can defend all sizes of guards.

He also has "the man" syndrom though and doesn't always realize he is a role player...he'll take stupid shots. But I'd take this guy in a heartbeat.

SenorSpur
06-30-2005, 02:14 PM
I'm on board too. I think Raja would be a good fit, but if the Spurs can come up with comparable options for the 2/3 position,, I'll go with it.

picnroll
06-30-2005, 02:37 PM
I remember after that flagrant on Bell against Manu Pop was all over the refs. Bell came over to Pop to say it wasn't intentional, you could see he didn't want Pop to think he was a cheap shot artist. Pop signaled to Bell that he knew and it was okay. You could see the respect the two had for each other in that exchange. All things being equal I'm sure Pop would be more than happy to have Raja on the Spurs.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2005, 02:44 PM
In re 'height/length' at the 3...

Height is somewhat overrated in the NBA. Charles Barkley was one of the game's best bigman ever at 6'4" tall. Earl Boykins routinely smokes guys with a 5'3" 130 lbs frame.

The key when it comes to defense is having the lateral quickness and anticipation to stay with an offensive player, harass them and challenge every shot of theirs.

This season the Spurs were able to win a championship with using Bruce and guys normally thought of as guards holding down the 3 spot. I think that the Spurs could use more defensive intensity in the perimeter rotation, not less. Bell would be a nice guy to have on this team, a guy who will ensure that the defense on the wings doesn't suffer a letdown when Bruce goes to the bench.