PDA

View Full Version : "Big Game James" with the goods

racm
09-13-2012, 08:27 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-sn-james-worthy-dwight-howard-20120913,0,1372826.story

By Melissa Rohlin
September 13, 2012, 10:41 a.m.
Dwight Howard lost a lot of fans as he oscillated between NBA teams during the off-season.

Among them, count Laker great James Worthy.

"I wasn't a fan of Dwight Howard," Worthy said during a conference call Thursday morning to announce his new role as main studio analyst for Lakers games on Time Warner Cable SportsNet.

Worthy said that he likes players who put their head down and do their job. He lamented that with Howard, "there was too much conversation."

"Who said this, I don't like this coach. To me, that's nonsense," Worthy said. "Your job is to come in and play and deal with the situation that's there."

Worthy also greatly disapproved of Howard's reticence to play for the Lakers.

"I was a little bit taken back. I think I heard him say ... if the Lakers drafted him, he wouldn't take it," Worthy said. "I knew that was gibberish."

Worthy, however, made it clear that now that Howard is on the Lakers, he welcomes him to the team. He just thinks that the superstar with a larger-than-life personality needs a minor attitude adjustment.

"This is not Orlando," he said.

After all, as Worthy pointed out, the Lakers have had a long history of great centers, including George Mikan, Wilt Chamberlain and Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

"It's not like he's bringing this onetime thing to the Lakers," Worthy said.

Worthy thinks that Howard will adjust. He even suggested that the center could thrive alongside superstar Kobe Bryant -- provided that he understands one small thing.

"We already have one superman in this town," he said.

As Worthy cautioned Howard, he praised Steve Nash, the Lakers other slam dunk acquisition this off-season.

"I think my favorite move of the summer was professor Steve Nash," he said. "We haven't had a point guard like that since Magic Johnson."

Worthy said that the team's success this season will hinge on whether Bryant will allow Nash to do what the Lakers brought him aboard to do.

"The key is gonna be if Kobe can defer to Steve Nash and let him run the show," Worthy said.

Worthy called Nash a second coach on the court.

"He's going to make Mike Brown's job so much easier," he said.

As for the Lakers chances of winning a championship this season?

Worthy said the team might not be there just yet.

"They look better on paper," he said. "They look really good on paper. So does a counterfeit $100 bill until you try to spend it. They have work to do."

Worthy, however, was quick to acknowledge that Bryant is hungry for his sixth championship and with both Howard and Nash, his chances greatly increase.

"They should be expected to make the Western Conference Finals, at least," he said.

Really good points, tbh. No room for drama when aiming for :lobt2:

whitemamba
09-13-2012, 09:08 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-sn-james-worthy-dwight-howard-20120913,0,1372826.story

talking sense tbh, cant disagree with what he said

lefty
09-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Worthy was a total team player

When he joined the Lakers, he had too much respect for Captain and Magic and took a backseat

It wasnt until 88 that he realized he could take the team on his shoulders

Latarian Milton
09-13-2012, 09:57 PM
lakers new comer jizzed by own team's legend :lol

Clipper Nation
09-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Big Game James with the goods...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5y8hphTlK1r98qz6o1_500.gif

DAF86
09-13-2012, 10:24 PM
I guess he isn't a fan of Kobe either then.

-21-
09-13-2012, 11:16 PM
Truth bombs.

scanry
09-14-2012, 12:07 AM
"They look better on paper," he said. "They look really good on paper. So does a counterfeit $100 bill until you try to spend it. They have work to do."

Great quote by big game James.

Venti Quattro
09-14-2012, 12:15 AM
Spurfans congregating and jizzing themselves over Worthy's words. What a sight to behold. :rollin :lmao

Everything is par for the course. Family can talk shit about family.

Fabbs
09-14-2012, 12:15 AM
"We already have one supervulva in this town," he said.

BGJ with the goods.....

whitemamba
09-14-2012, 01:37 AM
dwight willl adjust, no question with vets like nash and kobe on the roster, it should be no problem, its all about rings in LA

TDMVPDPOY
09-14-2012, 03:39 AM
if kobe alllows nash to be alpha...does that mean kobe once again robyn?

scanry
09-14-2012, 05:34 AM
Spurfans congregating and jizzing themselves over Worthy's words. What a sight to behold. :rollin :lmao

Everything is par for the course. Family can talk shit about family.

We're not jizzing over Worthy. He's saying what every non-Kobe fan thinks of the Lakers. Hand over the reigns to Nash and feed the bigs as everyone has been saying for years. The Lakers are lucky that he had a shitty Olympics otherwise he would've continued bricking them into the reg season.

Venti, you think our fan base is bad? Try staying objective (heck stay online for a day) at LG or Club Lakers and see how moronic some of your own fan base is? I can't even image what Lebron ringing this season might have done to some of them this past season. :toast

scanry
09-14-2012, 05:36 AM

How'll he become Robin again? He's now the third or fourth option for the Lakers.

scanry
09-14-2012, 05:39 AM
dwight willl adjust, no question with vets like nash and kobe on the roster, it should be no problem, its all about rings in LA

What's there to adjust. You'all never had a big guarding the paint since Shaq in 2002. Nash will pick n roll teams to death with Howard. Crazy Ron will actually get open shots for once since joining the Lakers. :lol

Koolaid_Man
09-14-2012, 05:11 PM

Sounds like Big game mad he's being pushed further down that greatest Laker list. :lol

Big game my boy but he couldn't even fit Howards jock strap in his mouth :lol

lefty
09-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Sounds like Big game mad he's being pushed further down that greatest Laker list. :lol

Big game my boy but he couldn't even fit Howards jock strap in his mouth :lol

James had a Triple Double in game 7 of the Finals vs Detroit

Kobie 6/24 in game 7 of the Finals

:lol

tlongII
09-14-2012, 06:34 PM
The Lakers are too old. They might make the WCF this year. After that it's obscurity.

lefty
09-14-2012, 07:22 PM
The Lakers are too old. They might make the WCF this year. After that it's obscurity.
Yes portland will beat them in 4

BRHornet45
09-15-2012, 12:34 AM
sons I pray Dwight blows his knee out and can never play the game of basketball at a professional level ever again. no other player in all of professional sports is more deserving of a career ending injury than that piece of shit.

LkrFan
09-15-2012, 01:19 AM
sons I pray Dwight blows his knee out and can never play the game of basketball at a professional level ever again. no other player in all of professional sports is more deserving of a career ending injury than that piece of shit.

Why BR? Inquiring minds wanna know. :downspin:

rayjayjohnson
09-15-2012, 01:30 AM
Big Game James with the goods...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5y8hphTlK1r98qz6o1_500.gif

this

rayjayjohnson
09-15-2012, 01:30 AM

robbin' white girls of their dignity.

whitemamba
09-15-2012, 03:31 AM
Yes portland will beat them in 4
:lol