PDA

View Full Version : Gecko: $250K is "middle income" LOL

boutons_deux
09-14-2012, 12:43 PM
the top 20%, quintile in household income starts at $88K :lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States#Quintiles

'Middle-income' is $200K to $250K and less

Mitt Romney is promising to reduce taxes on middle-income Americans.

But how does he define "middle-income"? The Republican presidential nominee defined it Friday as income of $200,000 to $250,000 a year and less.

The definition of "middle income" or the "middle class" is politically charged as Romney and President Barack Obama fight to win over working-class voters. Romney would be among the wealthiest presidents, if elected, and Democrats have repeatedly painted him as out of touch with average people.

Obama also has set his definition for "middle class" as families with income of up to $250,000 a year.

Romney's comments came an interview broadcast Friday on ABC's "Good Morning America."

"No one can say my plan is going to raise taxes on middle-income people, because principle number one is (to) keep the burden down on middle-income taxpayers," Romney told host George Stephanopoulos.

"Is $100,000 middle income?" Stephanopoulos asked.

"No, middle income is $200,000 to $250,000 and less," Romney responded.

His campaign later clarified that Romney was referencing household income, not individual income.

The Census Bureau reported this week that the median household income -- the midpoint for the nation -- is just over $50,000.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-romney-middleincome-is-200k-to-250k-and-less-20120914,0,6073358.story

Gecko, out of touch 1%er, unprepared for Presidency (doesn't do his homework, he's got $100Ms) and dumb as shit. :lol

He also said this week that he'd close the inequality gap by raising the 99% wages! :lol

The stupidity of his remarks perhaps exposes how well he realizes the ignorance of his base. or maybe not! He really is that stupid. :lol

coyotes_geek
09-14-2012, 12:56 PM

But how does he define "middle-income"? The Republican presidential nominee defined it Friday as income of $200,000 to $250,000 a year and less.

The definition of "middle income" or the "middle class" is politically charged as Romney and President Barack Obama fight to win over working-class voters. Romney would be among the wealthiest presidents, if elected, and Democrats have repeatedly painted him as out of touch with average people.

Obama also has set his definition for "middle class" as families with income of up to $250,000 a year.

Romney's comments came an interview broadcast Friday on ABC's "Good Morning America."

"No one can say my plan is going to raise taxes on middle-income people, because principle number one is (to) keep the burden down on middle-income taxpayers," Romney told host George Stephanopoulos.

His campaign later clarified that Romney was referencing household income, not individual income.

The Census Bureau reported this week that the median household income -- the midpoint for the nation -- is just over $50,000.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-romney-middleincome-is-200k-to-250k-and-less-20120914,0,6073358.story

Gecko, out of touch 1%er, unprepared for Presidency (doesn't do his homework, he's got $100Ms) and dumb as shit. :lol

He also said this week that he'd close the inequality gap by raising the 99% wages! :lol

The stupidity of his remarks perhaps exposes how well he realizes the ignorance of his base. or maybe not! He really is that stupid. :lol

lol boutons, romney=obama, democrats=republicans, boutons=hypocrite

DisAsTerBot
09-14-2012, 01:01 PM
lololoololol

angrydude
09-14-2012, 01:10 PM
the rich's greatest trick was convincing the poor the middle class is rich

TeyshaBlue
09-14-2012, 01:14 PM
lol boutons, romney=obama, democrats=republicans, boutons=hypocrite

Context! http://homerecording.com/bbs/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

101A
09-14-2012, 01:43 PM
the rich's greatest trick was convincing the poor the middle class is rich

This

Das Texan
09-14-2012, 02:59 PM
damn.

i should be on food stamps then.

*extends hand looking for handout*

djohn2oo8
09-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Don't ever stop talking, Mitt. :lol

boutons_deux
09-14-2012, 04:19 PM
"Obama also has set his definition for "middle class" as families with income of up to $250,000 a year."

Obama said he wants to raise taxes to 39% on incomes over $250K, ie, above "middle class".

Wild Cobra
09-14-2012, 04:20 PM
It is upper middle income.

boutons_deux
09-14-2012, 04:23 PM
the median is about $50K per family. $250K is the top 5%.

Wild Cobra
09-14-2012, 04:25 PM
the median is about $50K per family. $250K is the top 5%.
So?

What is upper middle class then?

boutons_deux
09-14-2012, 04:28 PM

if the median is about $50K, then upper-middle would be about the 4th quintile $55K-88K

Wild Cobra
09-14-2012, 04:32 PM

if the median is about $50K, then upper-middle would be about the 4th quintile $55K-88K
The classical definition doesn't go by quintiles. The upper middle class is considered to be working professionals that make from the high five digit incomes to the low six digit incomes.

CosmicCowboy
09-14-2012, 04:36 PM

So, in Boutons world, anyone making over 88K is rich?

:lmao

Wild Cobra
09-14-2012, 04:37 PM

Glad to know I'm rich!

boutons_deux
09-14-2012, 05:00 PM
you guys don't realize how The Wealthiest Country In The History of the Universe actually has 10Ms of poor people pulling down the median.

Wild Cobra
09-14-2012, 05:03 PM
you guys don't realize how The Wealthiest Country In The History of the Universe actually has 10Ms of poor people pulling down the median.
Yes, we know people like you exist. You remind us on a daily basis.

SA210
09-14-2012, 05:06 PM
lShAGXOFuQc

Vici
09-14-2012, 05:11 PM

Do you think 88k is not a lot? In San Antonio that is quite a bit. The average income for a household is something like 35k and the average family brings in about about 53k.

88k is a lot of money. How people use it to seem poor or rich is on them.

Vici
09-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Glad to know I'm rich!

and yet not a single person here wishes they were you

TeyshaBlue
09-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Context! http://homerecording.com/bbs/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

DMX7
09-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Mitt Romney ran a marathon in 1 minute.

TeyshaBlue
09-14-2012, 05:56 PM
DMX7 sets up a retarded strawman.

CosmicCowboy
09-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Do you think 88k is not a lot? In San Antonio that is quite a bit. The average income for a household is something like 35k and the average family brings in about about 53k.

88k is a lot of money. How people use it to seem poor or rich is on them.

Yeah, typical family, husband, wife, two kids, a dog. Daycare through college 88K is squeaking by. Stupid Breeders spitting out kids when they make 20K is a big part of what the fuck is wrong with this country.

boutons_deux
09-14-2012, 08:31 PM
The classical definition doesn't go by quintiles. The upper middle class is considered to be working professionals that make from the high five digit incomes to the low six digit incomes.

what fuzzy wuzzy bullshit. I'll take the hard stats over your bullshit.

median household income is $50K

"The median U.S. wage in 2010 was just $26,363"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/the-median-us-wage-in-2010-was-just-26363-government-reports/2011/10/20/gIQAdabX0L_blog.html

the top quintile starts at about $90K.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Yeah, typical family, husband, wife, two kids, a dog. Daycare through college 88K is squeaking by. Stupid Breeders spitting out kids when they make 20K is a big part of what the fuck is wrong with this country.

And for an accounting firm employing a dozen people it's squeaking by too. Good thing that's not what the figures are referring to.

Wild Cobra
09-14-2012, 10:04 PM
what fuzzy wuzzy bullshit. I'll take the hard stats over your bullshit.

median household income is $50K

"The median U.S. wage in 2010 was just $26,363"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/the-median-us-wage-in-2010-was-just-26363-government-reports/2011/10/20/gIQAdabX0L_blog.html

the top quintile starts at about $90K.
For the second time, class isn't determined by quintile.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Stupid Breeders spitting out kids when they make 20K is a big part of what the fuck is wrong with this country.
:tu

It's also a lot harder to advance in your career when you have 4 kids who need to be taken care of. 88k is a very healthy living if it's someone who's responsible.

SnakeBoy
09-14-2012, 10:59 PM
lol poor people thinking 250k is more than middle class.

lol poor people thinking they are middle class.

leemajors
09-14-2012, 11:19 PM
lol poor people thinking 250k is more than middle class.

Where do you put the lower ceiling on the middle class?

Spurminator
09-14-2012, 11:22 PM
This conversation is really pretty irrelevant unless you factor in geography.

SnakeBoy
09-14-2012, 11:50 PM
Where do you put the lower ceiling on the middle class?

I'd put it at $100k give or take. Below that is working class.

Wild Cobra
09-14-2012, 11:50 PM
This conversation is really pretty irrelevant unless you factor in geography.
Agreed.

The actual annual salary varies partially by location.

It seems too many people don't understand the "class" part of "middle class." It's not the amount of money someone makes that determines their class, but their job and social network. Those in the upper middle class can easily make six figures, and still be middle class. Boutons seems to think "quintiles" matter.

SnakeBoy
09-14-2012, 11:56 PM

boutons_deux
09-15-2012, 07:57 AM
"Obama also has set his definition for "middle class" as families with income of up to $250,000 a year."

where's Obama quote that $250K is middle class, when it's actual top 5%?

DMX7
09-15-2012, 07:59 AM
Regardless, what's "middle class" is subjective while what's "middle income" is not.

boutons_deux
09-15-2012, 08:03 AM
For the second time, class isn't determined by quintile.

class isn't determined by your opinion or ideology. Any household above the median $50K is upper something.

in your typical right-wing ideological self-imposed blindness and ignorance, you refuse to see how HUGE "wealth America's" sub-$50K, 2nd class population is, how the avg hourly wage is about $17/hour.

http://www.data360.org/dsg.aspx?Data_Set_Group_Id=773

Drachen
09-15-2012, 09:51 AM

88k for one person? Squeaking by?

Dude, I have three kids, one with special needs (15), one in private school (5), and one under 1 year old in day care. My wife and I *together* make 76k(pre tax). I own a 2300 sq ft house off of the northern part of bandera rd, a 2004 car with <85k miles (paid off), a 2007 van with <40k miles (13k left to pay), and a paid off 2006 motorcycle. I also have a dog.

I will admit, after a few bones to the investment account and 6% to my retirement (I know not enough), we squeeze by. We are comfortable, but we are squeezing. I also should say that I was making a little more money when we decided to have the last kid (lest you think I am too much of a moron).

Either way, if ONE of us was making 88k, that is most certainly rich. Shit, if I was making that much, I would let my wife stay home and do some bullshit home based business (she has done pampered chef in the past) until our son was in school. Then we would be back to upper middle class (an ENTIRE HOUSELHOLD making say 95k).

If a certain income level is in the top 5% it is most certainly NOT middle it is TOP. If you try to say that it is upper middle class then you are considering someone who makes 15k middle class too, just lower middle class. In this case the term means nothing.

Edit: Yes I realize that I made the classic Spurstalk mistake of revealing something about myself and now the vultures come. Oh well.

SnakeBoy
09-15-2012, 12:57 PM
88k for one person? Squeaking by?

Dude, I have three kids, one with special needs (15), one in private school (5), and one under 1 year old in day care. My wife and I *together* make 76k(pre tax). I own a 2300 sq ft house off of the northern part of bandera rd, a 2004 car with <85k miles (paid off), a 2007 van with <40k miles (13k left to pay), and a paid off 2006 motorcycle. I also have a dog.

I will admit, after a few bones to the investment account and 6% to my retirement (I know not enough), we squeeze by. We are comfortable, but we are squeezing. I also should say that I was making a little more money when we decided to have the last kid (lest you think I am too much of a moron).

Either way, if ONE of us was making 88k, that is most certainly rich. Shit, if I was making that much, I would let my wife stay home and do some bullshit home based business (she has done pampered chef in the past) until our son was in school. Then we would be back to upper middle class (an ENTIRE HOUSELHOLD making say 95k).

If a certain income level is in the top 5% it is most certainly NOT middle it is TOP. If you try to say that it is upper middle class then you are considering someone who makes 15k middle class too, just lower middle class. In this case the term means nothing.

Edit: Yes I realize that I made the classic Spurstalk mistake of revealing something about myself and now the vultures come. Oh well.

As I said before...

SnakeBoy
09-15-2012, 01:01 PM

where's Obama quote that $250K is middle class, when it's actual top 5%?

So is the middle class doing just fine or is the middle class vanishing as you have argued many times before?

Th'Pusher
09-15-2012, 01:36 PM
As I said before...

You don't know the meaning of the word poor you arrogant prick.

SnakeBoy
09-15-2012, 01:42 PM
You don't know the meaning of the word poor you arrogant prick.

Grew up that way so yeah I do. You don't know the meaning of rich.

boutons_deux
09-15-2012, 03:57 PM
So is the middle class doing just fine or is the middle class vanishing as you have argued many times before?

with the median household at $50K (say $30 for the man, and $20k for mom), the middle class is pretty poor.

Real household income has been essentially flat for 35 years. 48K in 1980, and
$50K today.

Big question is how long this downward slope will continue downward

http://www.davemanuel.com/charts/median_household_income.gif

Note how Repug tax cutting did nothing for household income in the 2000s.

The Repugs/conservatives are simply lying about high taxes as a problem and tax cutting as a solution.

Th'Pusher
09-15-2012, 05:12 PM

Sure I do. You have the nouveau riche like you and Then you have the truly wealthy who have accumulated their wealth over multiple generations.

:lol Romney/Ryan
:lol doing the bidding for the wealthy

SnakeBoy
09-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Sure I do. You have the nouveau riche like you

I'm not rich.

Agloco
09-15-2012, 10:20 PM
88k is a very healthy living if it's someone who's responsible.

At least we know who doesn't have any children. :lol

For a single person, or even a couple without children (or even one depending on locale), I'd agree though.

Th'Pusher
09-15-2012, 10:38 PM
I'm not rich.

Well then you really have no reason to vote for Romney/Ryan.

Wild Cobra
09-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Well then you really have no reason to vote for Romney/Ryan.
That is a 110%+ complete fail.

Th'Pusher
09-15-2012, 11:03 PM
That is a 110%+ complete fail.

Why? The Romney/Ryan plan is wildly skewed toward the rich. If you're not rich and vote for Romeny/Ryan you're voting against your own financial interest. So unless you're a single issue voter voting for something that won't change, you really have no reason to vote for Romney/Ryan.

Wild Cobra
09-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Why? The Romney/Ryan plan is wildly skewed toward the rich. If you're not rich and vote for Romeny/Ryan you're voting against your own financial interest. So unless you're a single issue voter voting for something that won't change, you really have no reason to vote for Romney/Ryan.
So you believe in voting like a child? Someone who will provide for you?

Th'Pusher
09-15-2012, 11:09 PM
So you believe in voting like a child? Someone who will provide for you?

Not really. I think voting for someone who is pledging to cut taxes across the Board by 20% when we have medium and long term debt issues while claiming it to be revenue neutral without specifying how it will be revenue neutral is voting like a child.

Wild Cobra
09-15-2012, 11:21 PM
Not really. I think voting for someone who is pledging to cut taxes across the Board by 20% when we have medium and long term debt issues while claiming it to be revenue neutral without specifying how it will be revenue neutral is voting like a child.
Do you understand the theory behind the "Laffer Curve?"

Th'Pusher
09-15-2012, 11:25 PM

:lol "proven" pro-growth policy. Shut the fuck up and go cast your vote against you're own financial interest.

Wild Cobra
09-15-2012, 11:27 PM
:lol "proven" pro-growth policy. Shut the fuck up and go cast your vote against you're own financial interest.
It's not against my financial interest to vote against Obama.

Besides. That's the problem with our economy and debt.

People are voting for their selfish interest rather than what is best for us all collectively.

Th'Pusher
09-15-2012, 11:31 PM
It's not against my financial interest to vote against Obama.

Besides. That's the problem with our economy and debt.

People are voting for their selfish interest rather than what is best for us all collectively.

:lmao communist

Wild Cobra
09-15-2012, 11:39 PM
:lmao communist
Do you think such word association wins you anything in this type of debate?

OK, let's go with your self interest view.

What happens as we make more deductions for the poor, or the economy changes so that about 55% of tax filers pay no taxes? Isn't it in their self interest to vote for the politician who promises to give them everything they want?

Just where is that money going to come from?

Th'Pusher
09-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Do you think such word association wins you anything in this type of debate?

OK, let's go with your self interest view.

What happens as we make more deductions for the poor, or the economy changes so that about 55% of tax filers pay no taxes? Isn't it in their self interest to vote for the politician who promises to give them everything they want?

Just where is that money going to come from?

Look WC, Romney/Ryan are proposing $5T in tax cuts over 10 years when we're $16T in debt. to deal with medium and long term debt, taxes are going to have to be raised across the board. That is reality.

Your team is calling it pro-growth, you reference the laffer curve. Anyone paying any sort of attention understands taxes need to be raised, entitlements need to be reformed. The difference is that one side is having a grown up conversation while the other side is actually talking about cutting taxes, which, as a percentage of GDP are at 1950's levels. IOW one side is bullshit crazy. That's your side.

Wild Cobra
09-16-2012, 12:05 AM
I see you do not understand the concept behind the "Laffer Curve."

Th'Pusher
09-16-2012, 12:11 AM
I see you do not understand the concept behind the "Laffer Curve."

I understand it. Taxes can be raised in the medium and long term without a negative effect on the economy in order to reduce debt. Your side is unwilling to accept that reality.

Now go cast your vote against your own financial interest.

Wild Cobra
09-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Wrong.

Th'Pusher
09-16-2012, 12:13 AM
Wrong.

Ok. Now go cast your vote again your own financial interest. Moron.

:lol laffer curve.

Wild Cobra
09-16-2012, 12:18 AM
Ok. Now go cast your vote again your own financial interest. Moron.

:lol laffer curve.
I will cast my vote for mine and others financial interest by voting against Obama.

TDMVPDPOY
09-16-2012, 03:37 AM
u know u cant have a real measure of income, when u have ppl who earn millions part of the equation with low income earners pushin up the avg, what in fact not everyone earns the avg, hence the outlier of those clowns earning millions...

boutons_deux
09-16-2012, 05:25 AM
Several analyses of Ryan's budget show it increasing national debt by about $5T over 10 years. He's a typical hardass Repug LIAR. "deficit hawk" really means destroy the social safety net, arts, science, regulatory agencies, while cutting taxes on the corps and wealthy.

Wild Cobra
09-16-2012, 05:45 AM
Several analyses of Ryan's budget show it increasing national debt by about $5T over 10 years. He's a typical hardass Repug LIAR. "deficit hawk" really means destroy the social safety net, arts, science, regulatory agencies, while cutting taxes on the corps and wealthy.
There is no way to project better numbers without getting full employment back and more better paying jobs.

Again, we need more tax payers.

What does Obama's look like? His current $1.1T deficit and interest would easily be at least $12 trillion over 10 years.

boutons_deux
09-16-2012, 06:17 AM
There is no way to project better numbers without getting full employment back and more better paying jobs.

Again, we need more tax payers.

What does Obama's look like? His current $1.1T deficit and interest would easily be at least $12 trillion over 10 years.

You Lie. There is no "Obama deficit".

It's the REPUG deficit from tax cuts, 2 Repug unnecessary, botched wars, Medicare Advantage, Medicare Part D, the conservative financial deregulation producing, as is always inevitable, a financial crisis of the Banksters Great Depression, corporate push for globalization that has destroyed Ms of good American jobs(taxpayers), 1%/UCA avoidance/evasion of taxes.

Gecko/Ryan have NO plans, specific or vague for increasing jobs, poor or good paying. Did you forget that Repug "hate/destroy govt" ideology says that govt can't create jobs or wealth or anything good at all (other than being owned and operated by and for the 1%'s enrichment).

cheguevara
09-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Mitt says something stupid once again, what's new?

250K is a whole lot of dough even living in LA or NYC

I'd say Middle Class is probably 60K - 200K.

BOth ROmney and Obama are out of touch with reality. But what's new?

MannyIsGod
09-16-2012, 11:16 PM

Sorry, but I'd have to think that your definitions are the ones that are off here. Rich doesn't mean private jet. Drachen's description of a lifestyle certainly isn't poor either. Not even close. If you grew up that way and you think thats poor then you certainly have not experienced being poor.

MannyIsGod
09-16-2012, 11:19 PM
I will say the upper end of the middle class gets really fuzzy but I certainly don't think making over 100k is nessecary to be middle class and certainly not by the way it has been defined in this country.

scott
09-16-2012, 11:40 PM

Do you? Because you've never demonstrated any understanding of it.

scott
09-16-2012, 11:46 PM
Where does the Laffer curve bend?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2010/08/where_does_the_laffer_curve_be.html

Emmanuel Saez, E. Morris Cox professor of economics, University of California at Berkeley:

"The tax rate t maximizing revenue is: t=1/(1+a*e) where a is the Pareto parameter of the income distribution (= 1.5 in the U.S. and easy to measure), and e the elasticity of reported income with respect to 1-t which captures supply side effects. The most reasonable estimates for e vary from 0.12 to 0.40 (see conclusion page 47) so e=.25 seems like a reasonable estimate. Then t=1/(1+1.5*0.25)=73% which means a top federal income tax rate of 69% (when taking into account the extra tax rates created by Medicare payroll taxes, state income tax rates, and sales taxes) much higher than the current 35% or 39.6% currently discussed."

Joel Slemrod, Paul W. McCracken Collegiate Professor of Business Economics and Public Policy, University of Michigan:

"I would venture that the answer is 60% or higher.... The idea that we're on the wrong side has almost no support among academics who have looked at this. Evidence doesn't suggest we're anywhere near the other end of the Laffer curve.... The elasticity of response, which is the key parameter here, isn't some absolute parameter that we just have to deal with. It depends on policies. Let me be specific. There's an article about how the IRS has reorganized itself to crack down on tax evasion of high-income people and corporations moving their operations or assets offshore. That's the kind of policy initiative that can affect the elasticity of response by closing up a loophole. You want to raise tax rates at the same time you look at these kind of initiatives.... If we're talking about just deficit variations, we're not talking about what the government spending, the answer is no. It doesn't matter what this response is. If you're not changing government spending, any change in revenue now will have to offset by some change in revenue in the future. If that's the case, then if the responsiveness is high now, it's going to be high later, too."

A very well reasoned point that is often overlooked and/or misunderstood:

Stephen Moore, senior economic writer and editorial board member, Wall Street Journal:

"The revenue maximizing rate is probably around 40 or 50 percent. But the growth maximizing rate, even given the current deficits, is probaby about 20 percent. So the goal is to get the rate down to 20 to 25 percent. For cap gains the revenue maximizing rate is between 15 and 20 percent."

The numbers Mr. Moore quotes are not relevant, but what is relevant (and dead on) is that revenue maximization rate is not the same as the growth maximization rate.

scott
09-16-2012, 11:52 PM
http://www.igmchicago.org/igm-economic-experts-panel/poll-results?SurveyID=SV_2irlrss5UC27YXi

scott
09-16-2012, 11:55 PM
http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/07/tilting-the-budget-process-to-the-g-o-p/

The Laffer curve, named for the economist Arthur Laffer, posits that tax rates may be so high that a tax-rate reduction will raise revenue to the government and a tax-rate increase will lower revenue.

While no economist denies the theoretical possibility of a revenue-raising tax cut or revenue-losing tax increase, Republicans talk as if the United States is always on the high side of the Laffer curve – no matter what the tax rates are – so every tax cut will pay for itself and no tax increase could possibly ever raise net revenue and thus reduce the deficit.

My concern is that the Republican effort is just a smokescreen to incorporate phony-baloney factors into revenue estimates to justify unlimited tax cutting. How soon before the C.B.O. is required to incorporate estimates from the right-wing Heritage Foundation in its calculations?

scott
09-17-2012, 12:00 AM
But it's all just academic mumbo jumbo. Go back to your Religious adherence to the idea that merely saying the words "Laffer Curve" justifies flawed fiscal policy.

Wild Cobra
09-17-2012, 02:10 AM
But it's all just academic mumbo jumbo. Go back to your Religious adherence to the idea that merely saying the words "Laffer Curve" justifies flawed fiscal policy.
Took you a few posting to realize that.

The problem is, that there is the effect, but no real way to account for all the variable. You seem to be one that thinks reducing taxes will reduce revenues, when it may not be true. You seem to think tax rates have to be increased which may backfire.

The truth is, we don't really know.

boutons_deux
09-17-2012, 03:47 AM
"Stephen Moore, senior economic writer and editorial board member, Wall Street Journal"

wants 20 - 25% for "maximum growth"

Murdoch toilet paper WSJ? :lol

Who actually "study shit"? :lol

USA had maximized growth FOR EVERYBODY in 1945 -1965 with 70% top bracket, Glass-Steagall, and strong unions.

Now max bracket is 35%, no glass-steagall, busted unions, right-to-work states with lower salaries than other states, and 8% unemployment understating Ms who have quit looking, and worse-than-3rd world tin-pot-dictator inequality.

and the VRWC, like WSJ and Repugs, aren't satisfied, aren't finished yet with fucking America to hell.

Wild Cobra
09-17-2012, 03:50 AM
"Stephen Moore, senior economic writer and editorial board member, Wall Street Journal"

USA had maximized growth FOR EVERYBODY in 1945 -1965 with 70% top bracket, Glass-Steagall, and strong unions.

Now max bracket is 35%, no glass-steagall, busted unions, right-to-work states with lower salaries that other states, and 8% unemployment undestating Ms who have quit looking, and worse-than-3rd world tin-pot-dictator inequality.

and the VRWC, like WSJ and Repugs, aren't satisfied, aren't finished yet with fucking America to hell.
And before the WTO.

boutons_deux
09-17-2012, 04:42 AM
ah yes, those nefarious "world government" orgs that are going to take over America the Beautiful. Blame it all on UN, WTO, ILO, UNESCO, etc, etc.

The pitiful, puny, martyred Corporations are innocent! :lol

Corporations are above the law, supra-national, is one of the many reasons they've been pushing for, and have achieved, globalization over the past 35 years.

Wild Cobra
09-17-2012, 05:09 AM
You miss my point.

In the past, our tax collectors had a captive audience. Today, not only is trade global, but people are more mobile and can move outside of taxation. You end up only collecting more from the likes of Hollywood actors, Basketball players, etc. the big fish simple rearrange their money.

boutons_deux
09-17-2012, 05:23 AM
Explain your "point" that WTO contributes to tax evasion/avoidance?

Wild Cobra
09-17-2012, 05:57 AM
Not directly, but the same mechanisms that allow free trade of goods allow free movement of wealth. If you increase the taxation here, more will move their wealth to areas of lower taxation.

scott
09-17-2012, 07:37 AM

It's taken you nearly 31,000 posts to still not grasp the concept of sarcasm. Even toddlers get it better than you.

The problem is, that there is the effect, but no real way to account for all the variable. You seem to be one that thinks reducing taxes will reduce revenues, when it may not be true. You seem to think tax rates have to be increased which may backfire.

Actually there are real ways to account for "the variable" that and "know" with a high degree of probability. It's called science, fucktard.

There are a lot of idiots running our fiscal policy, but I'm thankful none of them are as stupid as you.

scott
09-17-2012, 07:39 AM
You miss my point.

In the past, our tax collectors had a captive audience. Today, not only is trade global, but people are more mobile and can move outside of taxation. You end up only collecting more from the likes of Hollywood actors, Basketball players, etc. the big fish simple rearrange their money.

There are fixes for that as well that go beyond "fuck it, guess we can't tax anyone!"

Clipper Nation
09-17-2012, 08:03 AM
ah yes, those nefarious "world government" orgs that are going to take over America the Beautiful. Blame it all on UN, WTO, ILO, UNESCO, etc, etc.

The pitiful, puny, martyred Corporations are innocent! :lol

Corporations are above the law, supra-national, is one of the many reasons they've been pushing for, and have achieved, globalization over the past 35 years.
You're implying that both schools of thought can't be equally right, B... both mega corporations AND organizations like the UN and WTO are doing some bad shit, tbh.... in fact, the WTO (and NAFTA) are closely tied in with the same corporation/special interest crooks that you're putting on blast...

Clipper Nation
09-17-2012, 08:05 AM
This attitude is exactly what's led to the total devolution of our political system into crook status-quo candidates with no original ideas, tbh.... what's actually best for us all collectively is for people to vote their conscience and stop making putting a fucking checkmark in a box into some huge guilt-trip/strategy game, tbh....

scott
09-17-2012, 08:36 AM

Now max bracket is 35%, no glass-steagall, busted unions, right-to-work states with lower salaries than other states, and 8% unemployment understating Ms who have quit looking, and worse-than-3rd world tin-pot-dictator inequality.

The moronic Yin to Wild Cobra's idiotic Yang. Try to pay attention, bot.

The numbers Mr. Moore quotes are not relevant, but what is relevant (and dead on) is that revenue maximization rate is not the same as the growth maximization rate.

Drachen
09-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Sorry, but I'd have to think that your definitions are the ones that are off here. Rich doesn't mean private jet. Drachen's description of a lifestyle certainly isn't poor either. Not even close. If you grew up that way and you think thats poor then you certainly have not experienced being poor.

I have been busy all weekend, what with having to stand in line at the foodstamp place. I just need to be able to get it free with my EBT, so I haven't had a real chance to respond.

With all that being said, if what I described is "poor" to snakeboy, then he has lived an extremely privileged life. I expected a lot of responses, but that was not one of them. However, his response really shines a major light on his worldview. He makes a little more sense now. If that is what he thinks is poor, then of course it makes sense that he thinks that the "poor" shouldn't complain.

FWIW, because of my step-daughter (the 15 year old) we would actually qualify for SSI, but we have never taken it. Why? Because we can get by without it. Would it help? Sure, but there are actual poor people who that money should go to help.

Lastly,

Jesus fucking Christ.

boutons_deux
09-17-2012, 09:03 AM
"You seem to be one that thinks reducing taxes will reduce revenues, when it may not be true"

There is no evidence that cutting tax rates pays for itself with increased revenue. That's one of the lies the 1%/VRWC and their stink tanks spew.

boutons_deux
09-17-2012, 09:07 AM
The moronic Yin to Wild Cobra's idiotic Yang. Try to pay attention, bot.

"revenue maximization rate is not the same as the growth maximization rate"

where's ANY historical evidence for either rate?

USA grew extremele well, and the wealth increase was widely, maybe even fairly, shared, 1945-70, when tax rates were MUCH HIGHER than the growth maximization rate above.

Drachen
09-17-2012, 09:26 AM

USA grew extremele well, and the wealth increase was widely, maybe even fairly, shared, 1945-70, when tax rates were MUCH HIGHER than the growth maximization rate above.

boutons_deux
09-17-2012, 09:28 AM
"where's ANY historical evidence for either rate?"

Drachen
09-17-2012, 11:08 AM
"where's ANY historical evidence for either rate?"

So what you are trying to say here is that the best rate for growth and the best rate for revenue is the same?

Or are you arguing with yourself, since no one is arguing those rates?

boutons_deux
09-17-2012, 11:31 AM
"no one is arguing those rates"

really? for the rates to have ANY credibility, show us the evidence, not argumentation.

Drachen
09-17-2012, 12:33 PM

really? for the rates to have ANY credibility, show us the evidence, not argumentation.

I think you should take your argument to the author of that study (Moore). No one here argued for those rates so, in effect, you are yelling at yourself.

SnakeBoy
09-17-2012, 03:26 PM

My dad made around $24k. With 2 kids, I'd say it was poor. Although growing up it really didn't feel poor since we always had food, clothing, shelter.

Drachen's lifestyle doesn't sound poor but if he considers me rich then he must be poor.

With all that being said, if what I described is "poor" to snakeboy, then he has lived an extremely privileged life.

Tbh, what you described is what I would consider the modern american working class...just getting by while making payments on a lifestyle you really can't afford.

CosmicCowboy
09-17-2012, 03:43 PM

Winning World Wars will do that for you. And although the stated rate was high, nobody paid that rate because of deductions.

Wild Cobra
09-17-2012, 03:48 PM
My dad made around $24k. With 2 kids, I'd say it was poor. Although growing up it really didn't feel poor since we always had food, clothing, shelter.

Income vs. year matters. $24k isn't much today, but was an awesome income 30 years ago.

boutons_deux
09-17-2012, 03:52 PM
"What cost $24000 in 1975 would cost $96150.65 in 2010.

Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2010 and 1975,
they would cost you $24000 and $5578.78 respectively."

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

MannyIsGod
09-17-2012, 04:23 PM

Drachen's lifestyle doesn't sound poor but if he considers me rich then he must be poor.

Tbh, what you described is what I would consider the modern american working class...just getting by while making payments on a lifestyle you really can't afford.

How long ago was that 24k? 24k when I was born was certainly not poor. Not exactly killing it, but yeah.

MannyIsGod
09-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Not sure how accurate this calculator this is but in 1980 that 24k would basically be the same as what Drachen was describing today.

Drachen
09-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Snakeboy is winning this thread like I am poor.

MannyIsGod
09-17-2012, 04:43 PM
I remember we had some tough times when I was a kid and I don't think my mom could possibly have been making more than 12-15k on her shitty jobs. But I never lacked for food and clothes. She has described times back in Mexico where her and my aunts uncles and grandparents had a few tortillas and a few tomatoes between them for meals. THAT is fucking poor.

Its all relative, though. To people starving in eastern Africa I'm sure that sounds like the high life.

SnakeBoy
09-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Not sure how accurate this calculator this is but in 1980 that 24k would basically be the same as what Drachen was describing today.

It isn't accurate. Median income was over $40k in the 80's which according to the calculator virtually everyone was rich according Drachen's view of what rich is.

SnakeBoy
09-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Snakeboy is winning this thread like I am poor.

Well you just keep defining middle class as where someone is at. I'll keep defining it as where someone is going. We can see who was right when we both reach retirement age.

Drachen
09-17-2012, 05:59 PM
It isn't accurate. Median income was over $40k in the 80's which according to the calculator virtually everyone was rich according Drachen's view of what rich is.

Oops:
https://www.census.gov/hhes/www/income/data/historical/state/state1.html

Drachen
09-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Well you just keep defining middle class as where someone is at. I'll keep defining it as where someone is going. We can see who was right when we both reach retirement age.

also, this makes no sense.

SnakeBoy
09-17-2012, 06:06 PM

That's ok. You just keep financing those cars & motorcyles and tucking away that 6% and believing you're doing great. I'm sure everything will be just fine for you.

SnakeBoy
09-17-2012, 06:43 PM
Hey Drachen since I apparently have no perspective of the middle class can you tell me what you pay in federal income tax.

scott
09-17-2012, 08:05 PM

Just when I think no one can miss a point as badly as WC, in walks boutons.

Fuck man, buy a clue.

Wild Cobra
09-18-2012, 02:47 AM
Median income converted to today's dollars was probable between $45k and $50k. However, that's adjusted to 2012 dollars. The real dollars back in the 80's for median income ranged from $16,523 in 1980 to $27,388 in 1989. That's if you trust this source (http://www.davemanuel.com/median-household-income.php). I didn't take the time to look past finding one source, and it looks accurate to me.

Wild Cobra
09-18-2012, 02:48 AM
Just when I think no one can miss a point as badly as WC, in walks boutons.

Fuck man, buy a clue.
Why is it you have it in for me anyway? Are you making bad beer these days that's screwing with your mind?

boutons_deux
09-18-2012, 04:42 AM
Median income converted to today's dollars was probable between $45k and $50k.

TODAY's household median is $50K, so 30 years ago is was under $25K.

SnakeBoy
09-18-2012, 05:16 AM
Median income converted to today's dollars was probable between $45k and $50k. However, that's adjusted to 2012 dollars. The real dollars back in the 80's for median income ranged from $16,523 in 1980 to $27,388 in 1989. That's if you trust this source (http://www.davemanuel.com/median-household-income.php). I didn't take the time to look past finding one source, and it looks accurate to me.

Well I'll see my dad tomorrow and I'll ask him if he remembers what he made back then, maybe I'm mistaken on what he made back then. We lived in a small 3 bedroom rental, single vehicle, and they struggled to make ends meet. Things got alot better for them in the late 80's as they did for everyone, so maybe that the salary I'm remembering.

boutons_deux
09-18-2012, 05:18 AM
Well I'll see my dad tomorrow and I'll ask him if he remembers what he made back then, maybe I'm mistaken on what he made back then. We lived in a small 3 bedroom rental, single vehicle, and they struggled to make ends meet. Things got alot better for them in the late 80's as they did for everyone, so maybe that the salary I'm remembering.

personal anecdotes are meaningless in the big picture. It's the broad, population-wide numbers that tell the true tale.

Wild Cobra
09-18-2012, 05:43 AM
Between 1978 and 1981, I made ~$8.50/hr and paid $200/month rent for a 2 bedroom house. I could have raised a family on that without struggling. Cable was something like $12, and I forget what the utilities were, but they were cheap too. Car insurance cost me something like $30/month.

DarrinS
09-18-2012, 07:12 AM
Huffpo

During a campaign event in Burlington, Iowa, Biden mocked Romney for saying Obama is out of touch with average Americans when Romney is the one with Swiss bank accounts and millions of dollars tucked away in the Cayman Islands.
"He thinks the middle class is $200,000 to $250,000. Whoa! Whoa!" Biden said to cheers. "Don't you all wish you were in that middle class? Whoa!"
In an interview last week on ABC's "Good Morning America," Romney said he would define "middle-income" as between $200,000 to $250,000 a year and less.
"He's totally out of touch with the reality of what ordinary Americans deal with every day," Biden said about Romney. "He does not get it. He does not understand."
But for months, Obama has been urging Congress to extend the "middle-class" Bush-era tax cuts on the first $250,000 of people's income.
"Pass a bill extending the tax cuts for the middle class, I will sign it tomorrow," Obama said in July. "I just believe that anybody making over $250,000 should go back to the income tax rates we were paying under Bill Clinton."

boutons_deux
09-18-2012, 08:12 AM
"But for months, Obama has been urging Congress to extend the "middle-class" Bush-era tax cuts on the first $250,000 of people's income.

"Pass a bill extending the tax cuts for the middle class, I will sign it tomorrow," Obama said in July. "I just believe that anybody making over $250,000 should go back to the income tax rates we were paying under Bill Clinton." "

Just more Repug/Fox "You Didn't Build That" lying. "Up to" 250 includes the bottom and middle, while over 250 is obviously upper class, like the top 5%.

Drachen
09-18-2012, 01:34 PM
That's ok. You just keep financing those cars & motorcyles and tucking away that 6% and believing you're doing great. I'm sure everything will be just fine for you.

Hey, you have been factually put down in this thread so why not start making things up.

I have only financed one of those three vehicles (it is the one which has financing on it). Also, I never said I was doing great. I stated that I was comfortable, but squeezing. In fact, I specifically stated that 6% was not enough, but I made a decision that my daughter's education comes first. I am not saying this to try to sound noble only to state that, for me, that is the priority. I could also take that money from SSI and boost my retirement account, but I choose not to for the reasons noted. I never said that I was done either. Middle class is not a destination, it is a stop (hopefully). I didn't respond last night because I was in class...

Hey Drachen since I apparently have no perspective of the middle class can you tell me what you pay in federal income tax.

I will tell you exactly the answer you want to hear. I was a net reciever when I filed my income taxes. I am not sure exactly what this proves, however.

Drachen
09-18-2012, 01:36 PM
TODAY's household median is $50K, so 30 years ago is was under $25K.

are you trying to argue just for arguments sake? He specifically said that med income in 1980 was 16k. Just like it says in the link I posted above.

TeyshaBlue
09-18-2012, 01:48 PM
are you trying to argue just for arguments sake? He specifically said that med income in 1980 was 16k. Just like it says in the link I posted above.

http://homerecording.com/bbs/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

SnakeBoy
09-18-2012, 05:25 PM
Hey, you have been factually put down in this thread so why not start making things up.

Both Obama and Romney agree that the upper end of middle class is $250k and is not rich, I haven't been "factually" put down on that. My view is middle class starts around $100k and you are working class. It's subjective but your description of your own financial situation furthers my position imo.

CosmicCowboy
09-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Both Obama and Romney agree that the upper end of middle class is $250k and is not rich, I haven't been "factually" put down on that. My view is middle class starts around $100k and you are working class. It's subjective but your description of your own financial situation furthers my position imo.

I think that middle class starts really about where Obamacare defined it...4X poverty level or around $80,000 and goes to $250,000. Under 4X poverty level insurance will be subsidized...over 4X poverty level (middle class) it wont.

SnakeBoy
09-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Well you just keep defining middle class as where someone is at. I'll keep defining it as where someone is going.

Middle class is not a destination, it is a stop (hopefully).

Figure it out yet?

SnakeBoy
09-18-2012, 05:37 PM
I will tell you exactly the answer you want to hear. I was a net reciever when I filed my income taxes. I am not sure exactly what this proves, however.

It proves a number of things but you're getting pretty offended by someone questioning you're percieved status in life so I'll let it go. Good luck to you.

FWIW, our household income has been over $200k for 12 years, I own a comparable sized home (paid $227k), I drive a yr 2000 pickup with 343K miles, my wife a 2003 pathfinder with over 200K miles on it, I also have 3 rescue dogs...I'm living high on the hog.

Drachen
09-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Figure it out yet?

nope because I hope to move beyond middle class. I am currently in middle class, but it is not where I plan on staying.

Middle class is absolutely where someone is at, doesn't make it a final destination (but it can be).

Ergo your statement said nothing (or at least made no point).

Lastly, here (http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2012/08/22/the-lost-decade-of-the-middle-class/)is a pretty good study on "middle class" by pew research. It gives an objective (if not arbitrary) definition, and then gives a subjective definition (based on those surveyed).

Also, I don't care what obama or romney say. They aren't my font of knowledge. The factual rebuff that I was talking about was your "40k median income in 1980", so then you started making stuff up about me financing all of my vehicles, etc.

Sorry bud you are wrong.

SnakeBoy
09-18-2012, 06:35 PM
nope because I hope to move beyond middle class. I am currently in middle class, but it is not where I plan on staying.

Hope is nice, I hope you get there. More importantly how much savings do you think you need to maintain a middle class lifestyle thru retirement instead of going backwards into poverty without working until you're old and feeble. And is your current income getting you there?

Middle class is absolutely where someone is at, doesn't make it a final destination (but it can be).

Ergo your statement said nothing (or at least made no point).

Lastly, here (http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2012/08/22/the-lost-decade-of-the-middle-class/)is a pretty good study on "middle class" by pew research. It gives an objective (if not arbitrary) definition, and then gives a subjective definition (based on those surveyed).

I don't have time to read your article now but at quick glance it talks about the dissappearing middle class, I agree. It doesn't matter to me how anyone else defines middle class though. I believe an income that provides enough for someone to live a middle class lifestyle but then drift back into poverty after retirement isn't a middle class income.

Also, I don't care what obama or romney say. They aren't my font of knowledge. The factual rebuff that I was talking about was your "40k median income in 1980", so then you started making stuff up about me financing all of my vehicles, etc.

Sorry bud you are wrong.

I looked at a chart with adjusted incomes without realizing it. God will forgive me even if you won't.

Drachen
09-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Hope is nice, I hope you get there. More importantly how much savings do you think you need to maintain a middle class lifestyle thru retirement instead of going backwards into poverty without working until you're old and feeble. And is your current income getting you there?

The answer to your final question is no it won't, and I "hope" because it is a little out of my hands at the moment. 10 years ago I was busted for a possession charge for which I received deferred adjudication. It has blocked me from any advancement. I own that I f-ed up, unfortunately, it seems that there is no way for me to get out from under it (I thought maybe time would do it, but it was 10 years ago next month. I thought education might make it less of a concern, but I am now 2 months away from having two degrees later. Because it was deferred adjudication it cannot be expunged...). It is this uncertainty that leads me to only hope, rather than know.

I don't have time to read your article now but at quick glance it talks about the dissappearing middle class, I agree. It doesn't matter to me how anyone else defines middle class though. I believe an income that provides enough for someone to live a middle class lifestyle but then drift back into poverty after retirement isn't a middle class income.

So because someone's income class can vary, they can never be in any income class?

I looked at a chart with adjusted incomes without realizing it. God will forgive me even if you won't.

I forgive you, that is no problem. I was only explaining the context of the quote that you responded to because it seems like you took it another way. Lastly, I am in no way upset as you suggested. I am a little taken aback by your lack of awareness, but if you have no experience with something, then it is forgiveable. I am comfortable, not satisfied, with where I am at.

Th'Pusher
09-18-2012, 08:04 PM
10 years ago I was busted for a possession charge for which I received deferred adjudication.

Was it a felony?

Drachen
09-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Was it a felony?

yep

Th'Pusher
09-18-2012, 08:19 PM
yep

Ah. That sucks. I just went through a job search and had a class a misdemeanor charge, for which they only look back seven years.

Drachen
09-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Ah. That sucks. I just went through a job search and had a class a misdemeanor charge, for which they only look back seven years.

I am in the middle of a last ditch effort to suppress the records at the moment, but it is possible (because I wasn't convicted) that there is no legal way to suppress it (kinda bass ackwards huh?) and I am just stuck. I will find out soon.

I will do, this, then graduate in Dec and if I am still in the same place after a few months into next year, then I will start to consider the option of moving my family to a state which doesn't allow employers to ask that question for more than 7 years back.

SnakeBoy
09-18-2012, 11:51 PM
So because someone's income class can vary, they can never be in any income class?

Uh..that is a bizarre interpretation of what I said but whatever. We aren't ever going to agree.

Good luck on the adjudication battle, that's bullshit and I hpe you get it worked out and it doesn't affect your future employment. I also hope you eventually make the $88k that will "most certainly" make you rich, although I promise you that if/when that happens you will change your definition of what rich is.

Drachen
09-19-2012, 12:00 AM
Uh..that is a bizarre interpretation of what I said but whatever. We aren't ever going to agree.

Good luck on the adjudication battle, that's bullshit and I hpe you get it worked out and it doesn't affect your future employment. I also hope you eventually make the $88k that will "most certainly" make you rich, although I promise you that if/when that happens you will change your definition of what rich is.

Let's just hope that it isn't 20 years from now when 88k really isn't a lot of money and I will certainly have to change my definition. :lol

Wild Cobra
09-19-2012, 02:37 AM
My personal viewpoint is that middle class starts lower than your number. Maybe about $40k. The upper end is in my opinion somewhere between $200k and $300k.

boutons_deux
09-19-2012, 06:38 AM
So middle class is meaningless since it has so many meanings, all subjective.

the only objective measure is population per segment of income. dividing into 5ths, quintiles, seems pretty good, and show just how many households are below $50K/year in a supposedly wealthy country.

Wild Cobra
09-19-2012, 06:44 AM
So middle class is meaningless since it has so many meanings, all subjective.

the only objective measure is population per segment of income. dividing into 5ths, quintiles, seems pretty good, and show just how many households are below $50K/year in a supposedly wealthy country.
Well, just another of the seemingly hundreds of things we disagree with. I will suggest that you consider that working class is similar to social class. It has more to do with the type of work one does. Income is a product of work type, and isn't on a consistent scale.

Drachen
09-19-2012, 08:16 AM
The pew research article that I linked went from 2/3 median to twice median for their objective (yet I would argue arbitrary) measurement. Then for their survey part, they found 40-120k. I personally would probably add 10-15 to the bottom and about 30 to the top of that.

Once again, this is subjective.

boutons_deux
09-19-2012, 08:22 AM
"40-120k"

There's simply no comparison between household on $40K and one on $120K, iow, stupid and meaningless.

CosmicCowboy
09-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Slightly off topic:

Fully 68%, or more than two thirds of Americans live 'paycheck to paycheck,' according to the annual 'Getting Paid in America' survey by the San Antonio based American Payroll Association, being released today,

Association spokesman Mark Coindreau says researchers asked respondents 'how difficult it would be to meet their current financial obligations if their paychecks were delayed for a week.'

68% of the 30,600 people surveyed say it would be 'somewhat or very difficult,' Coindreau says.

"That is quite a startling number," he said.

But he says it is actually lower than figures for 2010, at the height of the recession.

"In 2010 we saw that 72% were living paycheck to paycheck, and last year, 2011, we actually saw 70%," he said.

He said while the study shows that the situation is getting better, but he says the results are 'not surprising.'

"I think it's pretty safe to say that Americans are still struggling during the current economy," he said. "68% is a very disturbing figure, and it speaks to the current state of the economy."

Read more: http://radio.woai.com/pages/localnews.html?feed=119078&article=10428285#ixzz26vDNavE7

Drachen
09-19-2012, 08:26 AM
"40-120k"

There's simply no comparison between household on $40K and one on $120K, iow, stupid and meaningless.

The article breaks it down further (urban/rural, etc).

ploto
09-19-2012, 08:45 AM
I think for the living paycheck to paycheck you do have to look at lifestyle. I know people who make $250,000 a year who live paycheck to paycheck.

Class distinction to me has alot to do with where you live and how many kids you have. Someone here said they live high on the hog on their salary, but they have no children. For the many opportunities you may want to give your kids, the costs are significant. 14 years of Catholic school and piano lessons means I drive a very old car, rarely go out to eat, and only go on one small vacation for a couple of days per year. By the time they hit high school, these 2 things alone run $10,000 per year per child. It means my kid has no car but to me the education was more important. I could surely live a "higher" standard of living if I spent that money on an iPhone, a new car ... but I am fine without them.

Drachen
09-19-2012, 08:51 AM
I think for the living paycheck to paycheck you do have to look at lifestyle. I know people who make $250,000 a year who live paycheck to paycheck.

Class distinction to me has alot to do with where you live and how many kids you have. Someone here said they live high on the hog on their salary, but they have no children. For the many opportunities you may want to give your kids, the costs are significant. 14 years of Catholic school and piano lessons means I drive a very old car, rarely go out to eat, and only go on one small vacation for a couple of days per year. By the time they hit high school, these 2 things alone run $10,000 per year per child. It means my kid has no car but to me the education was more important. I could surely live a "higher" standard of living if I spent that money on an iPhone, a new car ... but I am fine without them.

Dang you, why did you have to put a number on it. I was thinking about getting my daughter into piano classes (and she is currently in catholic school). You are makin me depressed. :lol

boutons_deux
09-19-2012, 08:51 AM
The article breaks it down further (urban/rural, etc).

the COL difference rural/urban ISN'T 3x.

Many families up here in the Hill Country on $40K are living in manufactured/mobile homes or quasi-shacks.

CosmicCowboy
09-19-2012, 08:53 AM

Many families up here in the Hill Country on $40K are living in manufactured/mobile homes or quasi-shacks.

Is yours a single or a double?

Drachen
09-19-2012, 08:54 AM

I wonder if this is also true in arkansas or missery.

Edit: I am not arguing with you, I already said that I personally would put it a little higher, but I am trying to give you an explanation as to why they may have different numbers.

Drachen
10-02-2012, 12:14 PM
SnakeBoy you win. I may indeed be poor. After a contraceptive slip up (breakage) 6 weeks ago and 6 negative tests, we have 2 positive tests... Going to see the doctor to confirm on thursday.

So. Since I am poor and white, does that mean I should vote republican now? My wife is poor and Mexican, I guess we are a split household. :lol