PDA

View Full Version : "Illicit" Drugs - Good or Bad

GeraldWallace
09-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Opinions on illicit drugs. Personally I am not one for almost all illicit drugs but I don't really have a problem with them. It's a personal choice really. And let's be honest marijuana is significantly less evil than alcohol.

Discuss :wakeup

Wild Cobra
09-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Opinions on illicit drugs. Personally I am not one for almost all illicit drugs but I don't really have a problem with them. It's a personal choice really. And let's be honest marijuana is significantly less evil than alcohol.

I think this has been discussed a few times already.

A summary of my take is that drugs should be personal choice, and only regulated to the point of keeping others from having to pay for other peoples actions.

I agree that marijuana is less of a problem than alcohol, and should be sold and taxed like cigarettes and alcohol.

Now the problem comes with other drugs that are addictive or make a person incapable of supporting him/herself. If society becomes burdened with the actions from an individual, that is when society has a right to regulate those actions.

This basically means I believe in keeping most drugs illegal. Now if someone is independently wealthy, and can pay for someone to take care of them, instead of using tax payers money, then fine. Let them do as they please.

DMC
09-14-2012, 06:36 PM
We do not live in remote villages in a jungle. We live in a society where one person's actions directly affect another person's life. Allowing people to put themselves in a dangerous state of mind through legal purchases of mind altering chemicals is disregarding the fact that we exist as a society. However, society will not stand for total removal of substances that exist as social lubricants since most of us use them with forethought and tact, so alcohol will not be banned (again). There has to be a point, though, where the FDA puts it's foot down and prohibits the sale of substances over the counter that are solely for the purpose of addressing an addiction that leads to a breakdown of the family and cost the taxpayers billions. There will never be a time in this country when the rest of us aren't required to support the weak, and becoming intentionally weak so that you check out from responsibility and fall back on the rest of us should not be a legal move. If you want that ability, there are ways to get there but they should not be within our borders.

AussieFanKurt
09-14-2012, 06:39 PM
I'm not quite sure I see your point, so illicit drugs are bad and the country shouldn't have to support the weak but doesn't that already happen with alcoholics?

mavs>spurs
09-14-2012, 07:01 PM
I say you're entitled to kill yourself if you wish, make it illegal. But it's an automatic disqualification from your insurance if you are found to have been using drugs, so you'd basically be on your own if something happened.

AussieFanKurt
09-14-2012, 07:16 PM
I say you're entitled to kill yourself if you wish, make it illegal. But it's an automatic disqualification from your insurance if you are found to have been using drugs, so you'd basically be on your own if something happened.

Including alcohol? As it is a drug and does significant damage?

Wild Cobra
09-14-2012, 07:19 PM

Nobody is saying that alcohol doesn't do harm, but its legal. Alcohol is as old as history as well. There is no doing away with it.

Why add to the harmful drugs that then becomes a burden on society?

AussieFanKurt
09-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Nobody is saying that alcohol doesn't do harm, but its legal. Alcohol is as old as history as well. There is no doing away with it.

Why add to the harmful drugs that then becomes a burden on society?

Yeah but I'm always confused why in the drug conversation alcohol is always removed from the equation because its legal. As far as I'm concerned that is irrelevant and doesn't make it any less dangerous. The research is there. It is certainly has proven short term and long term impacts whereas say marijuana doesn't. Some hallucinogens like LSD have been used successfully in the past to treat some mental disorders for example and it's now illegal because a group who opposed the govt used it and boom its illegal.

CosmicCowboy
09-14-2012, 07:58 PM
Legalize home grow and US commercially grown and tax everything that is not physically addictive.

It's a no brainer. I want to be your pot grower.

leemajors
09-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Or at least just industrial hemp at first. So many benefits.

slick'81
09-14-2012, 08:13 PM
heard marijuana causes testicular cancer

Clipper Nation
09-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Just legalize all of it and be done with it.... the threat of jailtime never stops anyone from using drugs, and if someone wants to fuck up their own life, then they'll have to deal with the mess they made.... furthermore, rehab is a hell of a lot better than jail for getting people to quit, tbh.....

mavs>spurs
09-14-2012, 08:55 PM

alcohol is far less dangerous and addictive than every illegal hard drug not named marijuana. you're comparing alcohol to cocaine, crack, heroin, etc. Drinking is actually healthy if done in moderation.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-14-2012, 09:08 PM
alcohol is far less dangerous and addictive than every illegal hard drug not named marijuana. you're comparing alcohol to cocaine, crack, heroin, etc. Drinking is actually healthy if done in moderation.

Less than LSD and psilocybin? You sure about that?

I for one get tired of the nanny state. NY just passed a law banning the selling of 'sugary drinks' over 16 oz.

leemajors
09-14-2012, 09:33 PM
LSD and psilocybin are fantastic.

AussieFanKurt
09-14-2012, 10:24 PM

As I mentioned LSD has been used successfully to treat mental disorders.. There are drugs outside of coke, heroin and crack

leemajors
09-14-2012, 10:26 PM
As I mentioned LSD has been used successfully to treat mental disorders.. There are drugs outside of coke, heroin and crack

Old news, but Frances Crick realized the DNA double helix on an LSD trip. Hitting the reset button the ol ego is a good thing

DMC
09-14-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm not quite sure I see your point, so illicit drugs are bad and the country shouldn't have to support the weak but doesn't that already happen with alcoholics?
You didn't read my post correctly.

Latarian Milton
09-15-2012, 12:30 AM

agree, alcohol may do just as much harm to our health and to the stability of our society as marijuana does, if not more, and alcohol is legal and sold everywhere around the country. the law itself is just made to legalize and justify some stuffs that should never be legal, immigration as another example.

baseline bum
09-15-2012, 01:03 AM
LSD and psilocybin are fantastic.

:tu

Jacob1983
09-15-2012, 03:13 AM
As long as you aren't killing anyone, hurting anyone, or raping a person or being a pervert to a person, why the fuck not? You're only hurting yourself but it's just you so who cares? You wanna smoke a doobie in your house? Why not?

boutons_deux
09-15-2012, 07:50 AM
"only hurting yourself but it's just you so who cares?"

same could be said of people take caring for the bodies by being overweight or obese, but nearly all of those greasebags end up sucking down $Ts in medical care other people pay for.