PDA

View Full Version : 2012-13 Coaching prospect: Bob Horry

Fabbs
09-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Altho he could coach circles around their current 5 years straight loser, not sure if Robert Horry is up to coaching an entire season.

Could the Spurs do as Marty Shottenheimer once suggested for himself, that being have Gregor Popovich coach the regular season then have Popped step aside when the games that really mattered came up.

Bob Horry for all year coach?
Bob Horry for playoff head coach?

ChumpDumper
09-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Multiple false premises.

Fabbs
09-15-2012, 11:29 AM
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/103713692-actress-christine-baranski-arrives-at-the-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=R4V%2FQay2ANwpmCZhkZDSEg3N6dKRBD6luKGblL6W4v0DQK 2sgwKzTG9TMg84yLgwtvYN5yY7u%2FVUkQiZzY0j7A%3D%3D

ChumpDumper
09-15-2012, 11:38 AM
:cry

FromWayDowntown
09-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Has Fabbs sent a resume and a fancy cover letter to the Spurs yet, applying for the head basketball coach job?

If Robert Horry is more qualified to coach the Spurs than Gregg Popovich is, I'm sure Fabbs -- with the basketball intellect displayed here on a daily basis and the clear ability to persuade about these things -- would be able to quickly show the Spurs the errors in their ways and persuade them to give him the job.

On the other hand, Fabbs might not want the paycut, tbh.

ambchang
09-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Horry can only coach the final quarter of an important playoff game, preferably a road game at that.

The Spurs will on 10-72 with him as head coach in the RS and miss the playoffs.

Fabbs
09-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Horry can only coach the final quarter of an important playoff game, preferably a road game at that.
You mean like, the difference between a Championship year and an exit?

And b.s. on Big Shot Rob only showing up in the 4th.

Ice009
09-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Robert Horry played defense through out the game, this only showing up in the 4th quarter is total BS. He may not have scored a lot throughout the game, but he played defense and did all the other little things throughout games that made a difference towards winning that game.

therealtruth
09-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Robert Horry played defense through out the game, this only showing up in the 4th quarter is total BS. He may not have scored a lot throughout the game, but he played defense and did all the other little things throughout games that made a difference towards winning that game.

Exactly. He did small things like causing the offensive player to throw the ball away on an inbounds.

spurs10
09-16-2012, 05:56 PM
:toast Word

ambchang
09-16-2012, 09:13 PM
You mean like, the difference between a Championship year and an exit?

And b.s. on Big Shot Rob only showing up in the 4th.

Only able to read one out of two sentences reflects the way you use your brain.

ambchang
09-16-2012, 09:15 PM

Exactly. He did small things like causing the offensive player to throw the ball away on an inbounds.

:toast Word

Woosh!

Kidd K
09-16-2012, 09:42 PM
2 straight #1 seeds with barely over salary cap budget, 2 WCF appearances, 4 seasons ended due to injuries to key guys (usually Manum, aka Mr. Glass), 1 last year due to refs with Thunder jerseys underneath.

What a shitty coach. Insert random ex-player who no coaching experience, that'll net better results!

:lmao

Fabbs
09-17-2012, 02:15 AM
2 straight #1 seeds with barely over salary cap budget, 2 WCF appearances, 4 seasons ended due to injuries to key guys (usually Manum, aka Mr. Glass),
That's the spirit. Cheer Pop on for #6!
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188574&highlight=Phoenix

PollyAnna Popper continued:
What a shitty coach. Insert random ex-player who no coaching experience, that'll net better results!
Horry has no experience forcing Timmy Duncs to play with a rugged frontline that includes Mike FinleyPopper, Dick Jeff for $40+ million and ongoing Matty Bonner.
:lmao

Fabbs
09-17-2012, 02:17 AM
I evolved from a snail.

ChumpDumper
09-17-2012, 02:21 AM
http://whollygastromony.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/leona-helmsley-7-2-08.jpg

ambchang
09-17-2012, 09:01 AM
My knowledge of the theory of evolution is as strong as my basketball take.

baseline bum
09-17-2012, 10:47 AM
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa136/Msalgado80/Utah/jump.jpg

Here I am wondering if I should just jump and never have to read another Fabbs post in my life.

Fabbs
09-17-2012, 11:46 AM
baselineManny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlq0lYB3iSM

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-17-2012, 12:07 PM
If you can't coach height then I'm pretty sure you can't coach making-power-forwards-with-a-history-of-mental-lapses-fail-to-cover-you-in-the-playoffs.

Fabbs
09-17-2012, 12:23 PM
If you can't coach height then I'm pretty sure you can't coach making-power-forwards-with-a-history-of-mental-lapses-fail-to-cover-you-in-the-playoffs.
Bob Horry doesn't bring down the rest of the team by having these softies in the game.
Nor on the roster.

Nor would any competent NBA playoff coach.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Like Larry Brown?

Fabbs
09-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Like Larry Brown?
What?
Did Larry Brown overplay Mike FinleyPopper, Dick Jefferson and Matty Bonner?
Extend all three and pay Dick to the tune of 10-15 million a year?

No.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-17-2012, 12:30 PM
What?
Did Larry Brown overplay Mike FinleyPopper, Dick Jefferson and Matty Bonner?
Extend all three and pay Dick to the tune of 10-15 million a year?

No.

He put Rasheed Wallace on the floor and assigned to Robert Horry in the the waning moments of Game 5 in the Finals.

Fabbs
09-17-2012, 02:06 PM
He put Rasheed Wallace on the floor and assigned to Robert Horry in the the waning moments of Game 5 in the Finals.
'Sheed being out of position* on one key play = 6 years of No Scola Mrs. FinleyPopper Soft Dick BonBon NoSplitter No Talls?

*while i agree Sheed should not have double teamed, with 8 seconds on the clock was Sheed expecting another Piston to rotate over to BigShot?
Either way, 6 years of fertilizer = 1 play? :lol

jjktkk
09-17-2012, 02:27 PM
I know my shitty takes on all sports makes me look like a dumb ass, but one of these days I'll get something right.

FromWayDowntown
09-17-2012, 02:39 PM
I'm serious: Fabbs for head coach!

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-17-2012, 02:45 PM
'Sheed being out of position* on one key play = 6 years of No Scola Mrs. FinleyPopper Soft Dick BonBon NoSplitter No Talls?

*while i agree Sheed should not have double teamed, with 8 seconds on the clock was Sheed expecting another Piston to rotate over to BigShot?

I'm not equating any of these things. You declared that no competent playoff coach would have put any of the softies that left Robert Horry open on the floor. I'm merely trying to gauge your assessment of Larry Brown, since that's more interesting than reading your opinion of Pop for the 80th time.

You could also offer opinions on the playoff competence of Bob Hill (:lmao) and Rick Adelman (which would almost make for a decent basketball discussion topic if the NBA forum actually discussed basketball anymore).

Fabbs
09-17-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm not equating any of these things. You declared that no competent playoff coach would have put any of the softies that left Robert Horry open on the floor.
No i stated no competent coach would have 6 years of softies.
But yes, nor for one play for that matter.
Sheed was badass in 2004 and aside from his screwup on the one play you mention he was no where near the level of suck of Mrs FinleyPop sans 2007, Dick or Boner. Not even close. Get that schtick out.

I'm merely trying to gauge your assessment of Larry Brown,
Great coach, moves around too much.
That *CIA Popped* beat him with Pop having 4 HOFers in their prime and a great cast to boot (Bruce Bowen etc) well congratulations Pop and Poppers!

since that's more interesting than reading your opinion of Pop for the 80th time.Your reading my takes on Pop for at least the 80th time is appreciated. I value my readership.

You could also offer opinions on the playoff competence of Bob Hill (:lmao) and Rick Adelman
Not sure if you are T_Park in drag? I have. The notion that the only coach available in the 17 years of Popped is Bob Hill is silly. As is the notion that is was Popped alone who turned around the ship. :lmao

Rick Adleman is a very good coach and his one NBA Championship speaks to this. I don't think he cracks elite tho. Is perfect for the job in MN. Hope Rubio recovers to at least 90%.

(which would almost make for a decent basketball discussion topic if the NBA forum actually discussed basketball anymore).
The Exekutive Kommittee is on top of it. :rollin

Fabbs
09-17-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm serious: Fabbs for head coach!
Thank you.
With myself and Aggie Hoops Fan we would have gone on a 7 for 10 run or similar*.

*Neither i nor Aggie can overcome WWE-Stern tho. We may have been unable to overcome several rigged Laker years.

baseline bum
09-17-2012, 03:55 PM

LOL, you want the guy who blew a series to the 7-seed Warriors with an absolute stacked starting lineup of David Robinson, Terry Cummings, Sean Elliott, Willie Anderson (back when he was good), and Rod Strickland?

FromWayDowntown
09-17-2012, 04:00 PM
LOL, you want the guy who blew a series to the 7-seed Warriors with an absolute stacked starting lineup of David Robinson, Terry Cummings, Sean Elliott, Willie Anderson (back when he was good), and Rod Strickland?

Come on -- Popovich, as an assistant coach on that team, was obviously responsible for that loss. His incompetence doesn't require that he sit in the first chair for it to render his team impotent.

Also, I'm pretty sure Popovich told Rod Strickland to throw that pass in Portland in 1990.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-17-2012, 04:44 PM
No i stated no competent coach would have 6 years of softies.

Actually you stated this:

Bob Horry doesn't bring down the rest of the team by having these softies in the game.
Nor on the roster.

Nor would any competent NBA playoff coach.

That was your declaration in response to my assertion that Robert Horry might not be able to teach his ability to be left wide open by the questionable decision making of power forwards with history of mental lapses. I see no mention of six years of anything. I do see a pretty bold statement as to the coaching abilities of a guy who may or may not even own a clipboard.

But yes, nor for one play for that matter.
Sheed was badass in 2004 and aside from his screwup on the one play you mention he was no where near the level of suck of Mrs FinleyPop sans 2007, Dick or Boner. Not even close. Get that schtick out.

I never compared Sheed to Bonner or Finley. I just stated that he fucked up pretty bad in 2005 leaving Horry open (right after LB specifically stated in the previous time out to not double off the inbounder, lol Rasheed), had a well documented past of mental lapses (highly inconsistent, set records for technical fouls), and that Larry Brown put him on the floor. Your above quote cites this as the move of a non-competent playoff coach.

Great coach, moves around too much.
Holy crap, something that a sane person would write...

That *CIA Popped* beat him with Pop having 4 HOFers in their prime and a great cast to boot (Bruce Bowen etc) well congratulations Pop and Poppers!

...oh good, I thought I had accidentally multiquoted someone else in all the excitement. 4 HOFers? If you don't mean Bowen I assume you mean Horry and that means somewhere someone is digging up that meme picture of Allan Keyes.

Your reading my takes on Pop for at least the 80th time is appreciated. I value my readership.

If you valued us you would think up something worthwhile to read. It's getting tougher and tougher to defend my fandom to my non-Fabbs fan friends. I'm sure FWD is having the same trouble. I cite your post count and all the threads your start and people just write me off as a Fabbs-fellator. Apparently just doing something multiple times just isn't enough to secure your elite status in the eyes of your critics. Some people are just never satisfied I guess. Sorry.

Not sure if you are T_Park in drag? I have. The notion that the only coach available in the 17 years of Popped is Bob Hill is silly. As is the notion that is was Popped alone who turned around the ship. :lmao
Actually I brought up Bob as another of those coaches who put mentally weak guys out there that failed to cover Horry, specifically Dennis Rodman during his headcase years in SA. He actually conforms to your criteria, as he is not a competent playoff coach either. Like you, I would support replacing him with Robert Horry.

Rick Adleman is a very good coach and his one NBA Championship speaks to this. I don't think he cracks elite tho. Is perfect for the job in MN. Hope Rubio recovers to at least 90%.

Hey, we agree on something! Well not that he has one championship; the record books say what the record books say. I would put him just below the elite status as well though. He couldn't get over the hump with potentially championship caliber teams but also guided some less than stellar teams to overachievement. Putting him on the list with Larry and Bob is a little unfair, both to he and C-Webb. Webber was a choker but in the case of Horry's famed game winner if you were to ask just about any coach they'd say they want their bigs crashing the boards in that situation and not camping on the 3 point line.

temujin
09-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Anyone winning a championship by hipchecking automatically qualifies as assistant coach in my team.

Fabbs
09-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Actually you stated this:
That was your declaration in response to my assertion that Robert Horry might not be able to teach his ability to be left wide open by the questionable decision making of power forwards with history of mental lapses. I see no mention of six years of anything. I do see a pretty bold statement as to the coaching abilities of a guy who may or may not even own a clipboard.

I never compared Sheed to Bonner or Finley. I just stated that he fucked up pretty bad in 2005 leaving Horry open (right after LB specifically stated in the previous time out to not double off the inbounder, lol Rasheed), had a well documented past of mental lapses (highly inconsistent, set records for technical fouls), and that Larry Brown put him on the floor. Your above quote cites this as the move of a non-competent playoff coach.
Actually i agree that was pretty iffy of Brown to have historically headcasey Sheed guarding the inbounds. Brown told him not to double?

Hmmmn. Popped reminded the Spurs to not foul the shooter when Manu pulled his brain fart for the ages in fouling Dirk and sinking an almost assured Championship.

Either way I'm talking about 6 years of screw ups vs one play, however vital the one play was.

...oh good, I thought I had accidentally multiquoted someone else in all the excitement. 4 HOFers? If you don't mean Bowen I assume you mean Horry and that means somewhere someone is digging up that meme picture of Allan Keyes.
Tim GNob and Horry are locks. Don't care how the lame media votes.
Parker, yeah i along with a lot of other SpurTalkers had him with HOF potential after 2007. His subsequent puss outs culminating with hanging out with wrapper posuers in glass bottle throwing clubs......he ain't gonna get in. Hope he turns it around and proves me wrong.

If you valued us you would think up something worthwhile to read. It's getting tougher and tougher to defend my fandom to my non-Fabbs fan friends. I'm sure FWD is having the same trouble. I cite your post count and all the threads your start and people just write me off as a Fabbs-fellator. Apparently just doing something multiple times just isn't enough to secure your elite status in the eyes of your critics. Some people are just never satisfied I guess. Sorry.
I think i'll be okay without their approval. Thanks for being sensitive tho.
Have i read their captivating stimulating threads?

ambchang
09-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Wondered how a talent like Fabbs hasn't been nabbed by an NBA, college, or even HS team.
The entire concept of simply not playing a player, and having a much better replacement magically come in to do a much better job has never been thought of my most coaches. Most of these idiotic coaches just see what they have, and work with it, but that's not a true leader does, a true leader innovates. If Finley sucked, just not play him, some other guy will surely do a better job!

GMs around the world, here's to your guaranteed 7 championships in 10 years. Anything less than a championship is a screw-up.

Fabbs
09-20-2012, 07:52 AM
Wondered how a talent like Fabbs hasn't been nabbed by an NBA, college, or even HS team.
Maybe he turned down their offers.

ambchang

I'd continually play Finley Jefferson and BonBon. And extend their contracts. Go Pop!
Yes, yes you would.