09-16-2012, 04:27 PM
What advice would you give?

TheRealCB
09-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Learn to cook.

Reck
09-16-2012, 04:37 PM
What sort of advice is there to give?

Basically all you need to pay more close attention is the flow of money and how much you are going to spend. Other than that I have nothing.

jeebus
09-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Manage money, learn to cook, pick up after yourself, cardboard furniture works just fine, go easy on everything.

CuckingFunt
09-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Manage money, learn to cook, pick up after yourself, cardboard furniture works just fine, go easy on everything.

These are the basics.

I would also add to treat your apartment/apartment complex/landlord/lease/rules/etc. like something deserving of respect. When I was in property management, we had a lot of units near the local university that were rented almost exclusively to students living on their own for the first time and they were always, ALWAYS completely blindsided when they found out they'd be entirely responsible for the dumb shit they let their friends do in the apartment.

BlackSwordsMan
09-16-2012, 07:18 PM
You'll be 37 next month learn how to cook and do your own taxes

Latarian Milton
09-16-2012, 09:32 PM
don't forget to lock the door when getting out if you live alone. cooking is rare prowess for men and it may help put you closer to being a good husband but don't think its very necessary to cook for yourself if you live alone, as it often ends up costing more money than if you only buy fast food to eat imho

Cane
09-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Be a decent neighbor, and godspeed finding decent roommates but it would save $$$

Stay out of debt

Save up for a house, but be Careful with house pictures, anywhere on the web (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117205)

No pets

Fuck some bitches every now and then

SourCandy
09-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Trying to keep up with friends with cars,clothes,furniture etc will get you in debt fast. Worry about one person....."you"

cantthinkofanything
09-17-2012, 10:44 AM
also, don't forget to fart at your neighbors when you see them. something friendly and heartfelt...no sarcastic toots

monosylab1k
09-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Being responsible with your money is definitely huge, i put myself in a medium sized hole of debt until i realized what a dumbass i was being. Thankfully i smartened up in time and didn't screw myself up too bad.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
09-17-2012, 12:44 PM
cooking is rare prowess for men and it may help put you closer to being a good husband but don't think its very necessary to cook for yourself if you live alone, as it often ends up costing more money than if you only buy fast food to eat imho
lolwut?

Moocher
09-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Having understanding roommates and neighbors is a must.

jeebus
09-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Being responsible with your money is definitely huge, i put myself in a medium sized hole of debt until i realized what a dumbass i was being. Thankfully i smartened up in time and didn't screw myself up too bad.

that reminds me of the first couple years on my own, except I knew how to manage my money. the friends of mine that didn't would borrow money from me, so I would lend it to them just as long as they paid me back with interest. If they couldn't pay, I would take stuff from them. one time I got a nice slightly used system for my shitty Honda from someone who didn't pay :lol

another piece of advice, be mindful of your neighbors. I had one asshole live above me who would bounce a basketball non stop or listen to his gay ass emo songs really loud late at night.

TDMVPDPOY
09-17-2012, 03:40 PM
his australian, hopefully he learns how to suck a dick to get out of rental payments

Reck
09-17-2012, 03:55 PM
or listen to his gay ass emo songs really loud late at night.

I've had to put up with that bullshit for years.

Dominicans and their merengues and Puerto Ricans with their pitbull oye loca shit.

That drives me insane. Same fucking beats over and over. lol

cantthinkofanything
09-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Find an all you can eat place and smuggle in some zip-lock bags. Fill them up and take them home. Take a girl with a big purse. You can probably get a week's worth of food at a Chinese buffet for about $8 or so. Or maybe go to Golden Corral and load up on fried chicken. It should last a good week.

You can also go to a place like Rosas and after you're done, ask for a togo box. Then go to the salsa bar and load up on salsa, pico, and peppers. Start canning it yourself and sell it at the farmer's market for profit.

And don't forget to take as many straws, napkins, and packaged plastic-ware as you can. It all adds up.