PDA

View Full Version : iPhone question

ashbeeigh
09-17-2012, 09:01 PM
How much do you all pay, basic, like just a little data and all that with AT&T? I'm upgrade eligible this coming month and have been thinking about getting one. I spend like $80 with my Blackberry now and really don't want to spend too much more than that.

symple19
09-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Don't buy an iphone

hope that helps

Bill_Brasky
09-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Cell phone companies are one of the biggest jips in the world today. Go with Cricket and see how much money you save.

ashbeeigh
09-17-2012, 10:21 PM
I really wasn't asking advice about carriers, guys. I saw that Cricket's iphone thing is $55. Whatever. Yah for them. I have to stay with att for the family plan.

leemajors
09-17-2012, 10:25 PM
I pay $65 but i get a corporate discount. Family plan you can get decent deals, esp unlimited family plan messaging @30/mo. The shared data plans arent that great a deal IMO. iPhone won't make a monthly bill difference, smartphone data plans are priced the same whatever model. I still have a grandfathered "unlimited" plan from AT&T.

AussieFanKurt
09-18-2012, 01:47 AM
Ask in the Geek section mate

TE
09-18-2012, 02:02 AM
I pay $70 per month on a faculty discount

You gotta watch out with that data limit though. Don't let it F you up.

Wild Cobra
09-18-2012, 03:55 AM
well, I pay, in round numbers, $100 for my plan voice/text unlimited plan. Another $10/line for three more lines. Four of my 5 lines have data plans. Mine is $25 unlimited. Two are $30 5GB, and one is $20 2 GB. Add taxes and fees, and I pay a healthy monthly amount, but it works for me. I have T-Mobile.

J.T.
09-18-2012, 03:55 AM
How much do you all pay, basic, like just a little data and all that with AT&T? I'm upgrade eligible this coming month and have been thinking about getting one. I spend like $80 with my Blackberry now and really don't want to spend too much more than that.

I have an iPhone with AT&T and I don't think I've paid over $70 a month, I have the 4GB data plan and something like 2200 rollover minutes right now. I don't keep tabs on how much data I use, I know one month I was whoring YouTube a lot and got a notification text saying I was getting close to my limit but just don't stream every little video someone sends you and you should be alright. I previously had the BB Curve and don't miss it at all.

But one of my friends has a sick ass Droid, the screen's like twice as big as the iPhone and the OS is pretty easy, iPhone is like a noob smartphone by comparison, but then again I only used his phone for a few minutes to check it out it could suck dick for all I know.

mavs>spurs
09-18-2012, 04:11 AM
I still have a grandfathered "unlimited" plan from AT&T.

Same here but those thieves still screw you...if you start using very much data they just throttle your phone which I think should be illegal. They're the ones who offered the unlimited plan, deal with it.

monosylab1k
09-18-2012, 04:55 AM
Ask in the Geek section mate

rofl if she did that her thread would get derailed into an 8 page circlejerk by google fanboys.

Latarian Milton
09-18-2012, 05:06 AM
ain't it like at&t has monopolized the whole business in the greater SA-Austin area? its not like you have any alternative choice imho. you might feel stupid when thinking about the high prices you pay and the shitty services you get, but you still persuade yourself to pay anyway.

Wild Cobra Kai
09-18-2012, 07:24 AM
well, I pay, in round numbers, $100 for my plan voice/text unlimited plan. Another $10/line for three more lines. Four of my 5 lines have data plans. Mine is $25 unlimited. Two are $30 5GB, and one is $20 2 GB. Add taxes and fees, and I pay a healthy monthly amount, but it works for me. I have T-Mobile.

Since she's specifically asking about an iPhone, your t-mobile experience seems irrelevant.

Wild Cobra
09-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Since she's specifically asking about an iPhone, your t-mobile experience seems irrelevant.
True, except if you jailbreak one.

ashbeeigh
09-18-2012, 07:29 AM

They do take unlocked iphones, so, if he has unlocked iphones it could be a bit relevant. Although, for me, asking about the att network it wasn't too helpful.

Thanks sto those of you answering. That helps a bit.

Wild Cobra
09-18-2012, 07:34 AM
Both T-Mobile and AT&T use sim cards. Unlock a phone from either provider, and it can be used by the other network by just placing that networks sim card in it.

leemajors
09-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Both T-Mobile and AT&T use sim cards. Unlock a phone from either provider, and it can be used by the other network by just placing that networks sim card in it.

For calls yes, but the iPhone does not support some T-Mobile data bands.

Wild Cobra
09-18-2012, 08:24 AM
For calls yes, but the iPhone does not support some T-Mobile data bands.
Are you saying the GSM data bands are different?

I think not. Where did you get that info from?

leemajors
09-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Are you saying the GSM data bands are different?

I think not. Where did you get that info from?

sorry, it is some wireless spectrum incompatability. only edge works atm

ashbeeigh
09-18-2012, 09:18 AM
This article explains pretty well what t mobile can and can't do with iphones. With all that said, if I get one this doesn't make me want to switch to t mobile anytime soon.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57509501-37/t-mobile-bring-your-unlocked-iphone-over-to-us/

Wild Cobra Kai
09-18-2012, 11:24 PM

I think that info is dated, or about to be. Recent articles had t-mobile acquiring bandwidth spectrum from ATT as part of their "divorce" and changing their GSM frequencies to carry 3G AND 4G, and be able to use unlocked iPhones. It's sort of a soft rollout, with bandwidth becoming available in markets with little or no notice. My contract is up next month, and regardless, I'm going to get my phone unlocked by ATT. I'll either switch over or sell the permanently unlocked phone and upgrade to the newer iPhone 5. I heard t-mobile is even buying used ones.

Wild Cobra
09-19-2012, 03:07 AM
Bullshit. I know better from experience.

leemajors
09-19-2012, 05:37 AM
I think that info is dated, or about to be. Recent articles had t-mobile acquiring bandwidth spectrum from ATT as part of their "divorce" and changing their GSM frequencies to carry 3G AND 4G, and be able to use unlocked iPhones. It's sort of a soft rollout, with bandwidth becoming available in markets with little or no notice. My contract is up next month, and regardless, I'm going to get my phone unlocked by ATT. I'll either switch over or sell the permanently unlocked phone and upgrade to the newer iPhone 5. I heard t-mobile is even buying used ones.

Yeah they are still upgrading their network to be compatible. They were not previously in the PCS band and thus largely incompatible.

Wild Cobra Kai
09-19-2012, 07:13 AM

phone, yes. txt, yes. Data, 2G only until now. That's dead slow.

Until recently, their entire PCS band was taken by EDGE 2G bandwidth. Their entire 3G bandwidth used a different radio that NO ATT phone supported.

leemajors
09-19-2012, 09:02 AM
phone, yes. txt, yes. Data, 2G only until now. That's dead slow.

Until recently, their entire PCS band was taken by EDGE 2G bandwidth. Their entire 3G bandwidth used a different radio that NO ATT phone supported.

He's not gonna listen. :lol

Drachen
09-19-2012, 09:27 AM

Dude, T-mobile (until VERY recently, like last month) has only broadcast their data on the 1700 Mhz spectrum, incompatible with an AT&T phone since those produced for AT&T get their data on the 1900 Mhz spectrum. T-Mobile recently began broadcasting Data on the 1900 Mhz spectrum SPECIFICALLY to be able to get people with unlocked iPhones to their network (and generally so that anyone with any att unlocked phone could bring it to t-mobile.

Wild Cobra Kai
09-19-2012, 07:29 PM
He's not gonna listen. :lol

Dude, T-mobile (until VERY recently, like last month) has only broadcast their data on the 1700 Mhz spectrum, incompatible with an AT&T phone since those produced for AT&T get their data on the 1900 Mhz spectrum. T-Mobile recently began broadcasting Data on the 1900 Mhz spectrum SPECIFICALLY to be able to get people with unlocked iPhones to their network (and generally so that anyone with any att unlocked phone could bring it to t-mobile.

He's probably only thinking voice. Doesn't particularly strike me as a smart phone kind of guy. Also, not much for details, since everyone who mentioned the incompatibility mentioned the word 'data'.