PDA

View Full Version : Faded Piece of Papyrus Refers To Jesus' Wife

symple19
09-18-2012, 08:18 PM
lol christianity http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/us/historian-says-piece-of-papyrus-refers-to-jesus-wife.html?_r=1&hp

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — A historian of early Christianity at Harvard Divinity School has identified a scrap of papyrus that she says was written in Coptic in the fourth century and contains a phrase never seen in any piece of Scripture: “Jesus said to them, ‘My wife ...’ ”

The faded papyrus fragment is smaller than a business card, with eight lines on one side, in black ink legible under a magnifying glass. Just below the line about Jesus having a wife, the papyrus includes a second provocative clause that purportedly says, “she will be able to be my disciple.” MORE (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/us/historian-says-piece-of-papyrus-refers-to-jesus-wife.html?_r=1&hp)

Clipper Nation
09-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Breaking News: Fictional Protagonist in Fairy Tale Found to Have Fictional Wife

baseline bum
09-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Funny; I always thought Jesus was gay, hanging out with groups of 12 men at a time and all.

AussieFanKurt
09-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Funny; I always thought Jesus was gay, hanging out with groups of 12 men at a time and all.

:lmao

well played

tlongII
09-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Mary Magdalena?

Blake
09-18-2012, 09:36 PM
"....why don't you ever turn water into wine at home how come you never make furniture for my side of the family how long is your crazy cousin John going to live with us how long are you going to hang up there"

http://dwellingintheword.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/happy-guy.jpg?w=406&h=334

DMC
09-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Jesus' reference to his bride was about returning, not about his physical wife. It was an analogy.

I believe the man Jesus of Nazareth existed. I don't believe he was that smart. I believe he stole bits and pieces from the Chinese writings. I believe he was one of many messiahs to have been wandering about, aimless and too fucking lazy to work. I believe Paul was the reason his story was so successful, because Paul saw something he could pervert and control and so Paul set out to make rigid what Jesus had made pliable since pliable concepts don't last but rules do.

Relevancy
09-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Jesus' reference to his bride was about returning, not about his physical wife. It was an analogy.

I believe the man Jesus of Nazareth existed. I don't believe he was that smart. I believe he stole bits and pieces from the Chinese writings. I believe he was one of many messiahs to have been wandering about, aimless and too fucking lazy to work. I believe Paul was the reason his story was so successful, because Paul saw something he could pervert and control and so Paul set out to make rigid what Jesus had made pliable since pliable concepts don't last but rules do.Nice my church taught me that Jesus was a saint, we also believe he was the father of all us :lol

Latarian Milton
09-19-2012, 12:02 AM
jesus, like many other great figures in humans history (issac newton another example), was a lifelong celibate. phaggots make up these bullshits such as "mohammed having sex, jesus having a wife" just to sanctify sexual behaviors, which are in fact the ugliest stuffs in nature and highly tabooed & repudiated in all religions imho

TDMVPDPOY
09-19-2012, 01:10 AM
looks like there be another bible edition with new material to sell to the bible thumpers

Avante
09-19-2012, 01:26 AM
Who out there doesn't know far more people who believe in "a" God than don't? How many churches are out there compared to places for atheists to hang out? At what point do all you ....bah humbuggers....figure it out? "MOST"...human beings prefer a life with "a" God in it than living a life with .....nothing.

Comical to watch all these non believers trying to talk as if they really know anything, sheesh~~~~~~~

Juggity
09-19-2012, 01:29 AM
jesus, like many other great figures in humans history (issac newton another example), was a lifelong celibate. phaggots make up these bullshits such as "mohammed having sex, jesus having a wife" just to sanctify sexual behaviors, which are in fact the ugliest stuffs in nature and highly tabooed & repudiated in all religions imho

Pretty sure Hinduism has genital-wielding gods and goddesses who spread their seed all over the place.

Zeus did his fair share of fucking as well.

Wild Cobra
09-19-2012, 03:37 AM
Mary Magdalena?
Why do people have a problem with that idea being possible?

Stringer_Bell
09-19-2012, 05:55 AM
Odd. I never understood why Christianity, as a philosophy and way of life, was so dependent on a virgin birth and un-wed Jesus to give it some weight. What difference does it make if Jesus was actually just a dude that bummed hash off goat herders and talked about how corrupt shit was and how we should just mellow the fuck out and care for one another...that, to me, is more important. Buying into all the other stuff that was used to attract the attention/respect of people in the early centuries is pretty lame, mostly because all that stuff has no bearing on one's ability to follow a Christ-like journey. Same with any other religion or religious figure, there's wisdom to be found while chopping through bullshit jungle...but don't go decorating yourself in the bullshit and pretend it makes you any better than anyone else.

leemajors
09-19-2012, 05:58 AM
Sounds like one of many Gnostic texts out there.

AussieFanKurt
09-19-2012, 06:09 AM
Why do people have a problem with that idea being possible?

Wouldn't Christians. Since she was a prostitute? I'm asking not trying to be condescending

leemajors
09-19-2012, 06:13 AM
Wouldn't Christians. Since she was a prostitute? I'm asking not trying to be condescending

Only Pope Gregory the Great's homily on the Gospel of Luke in 591 indicates she was a prostitute. It's basically Christian propaganda.

AussieFanKurt
09-19-2012, 06:26 AM
Only Pope Gregory the Great's homily on the Gospel of Luke in 591 indicates she was a prostitute. It's basically Christian propaganda.

Ah ok true, not religious myself but I had just heard it before

Wild Cobra
09-19-2012, 06:29 AM
There are contradictory ides to that also. I forget the specifics. I believe the word translated to prostitute in English does not necessarily mean that. I forget what else it could be, but that's one of the possible problems with modern translations. I believe another though is there was yet another woman named Mary. I would look it up if I had more concern over it, but I remember there are competing ideas.

AussieFanKurt
09-19-2012, 06:34 AM
There are contradictory ides to that also. I forget the specifics. I believe the word translated to prostitute in English does not necessarily mean that. I forget what else it could be, but that's one of the possible problems with modern translations. I believe another though is there was yet another woman named Mary. I would look it up if I had more concern over it, but I remember there are competing ideas.

Actually now that I think of it I think someone has told me the mistranslation before. Makes sense.

Jesus
09-19-2012, 07:27 AM
All you doubters sure do believe your own BS. :lol

SpursNextRomanEmpire
09-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Sounds like Scorceses flick, did it say anything about a kid as well?

Drachen
09-19-2012, 08:35 AM
All you doubters sure do believe your own BS. :lol

Dude, you totally didn't get any. I have proof right here.
pPdFrW076R0

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-19-2012, 09:49 AM
"No way in hell am I sitting through another Passover dinner with my in-laws. Seriously Judas, if you can help me get out of that I'll give you like 60 bucks."

Blake
09-19-2012, 10:16 AM
How many churches are out there compared to places for atheists to hang out?

no shit! Who doesn't love to pay a cover charge to sing stupid songs, shake dirty hands and then listen to a preacher warn about burning for eternity?

Fun time, imo.

it's me
09-19-2012, 12:29 PM
We have to wait and see what the investigations conclude..... According to christian writings Jesus was a Rabbi.... in order to be one and teach in Jewish synagogues, he had to be married............... religion is messed up.

BacktoBasics
09-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Did any of you bible thumpers even bother to read the link.

Right off the bat the OP mentions that its from the 4th century.

The article cites many discrepancies which is common place for 99% of what is documented in writing.

The provenance of the papyrus fragment is a mystery

She repeatedly cautioned that this fragment should not be taken as proof that Jesus, the historical person, was actually married. The text was probably written centuries after Jesus lived, and all other early, historically reliable Christian literature is silent on the question, she said.

The back side is so faint that only five words are visible, one only partly: “my moth[er],” “three,” “forth which.”

Much of the context, therefore, is missing.

Basically this has almost no significant religious value pertaining to Christianity unless you're willing to engage almost every presumptuous jump to conclusion possible.

rascal
09-19-2012, 04:04 PM
I believe Jesus did not have a wife.

Jesus was part god, part man, came to Earth as a man to show you clown non believers the way if you accept his teachings.

BacktoBasics
09-19-2012, 04:07 PM
came to Earth as a man to show you clown non believers the way if you accept his teachings.When will this happen? Or has he already failed?

cantthinkofanything
09-19-2012, 04:09 PM
When will this happen? Are has he already failed?

are has you learn some fucking English?

Drachen
09-19-2012, 04:10 PM

The article cites many discrepancies which is common place for 99% of what is documented in writing.

Basically this has almost no significant religious value pertaining to Christianity unless you're willing to engage almost every presumptuous jump to conclusion possible.

If we had all of the context, then we would see that it says "Jesus said 'My wife... she made me join her bridge club. I jump next Tuesday'"

BacktoBasics
09-19-2012, 04:17 PM
are has you learn some fucking English?I fixed it. So what next or was that all you had?

Ginobilly
09-19-2012, 04:18 PM
:lmao You people don't know what an analogy means?? I'm agnostic/atheist and know when the bible talks about Jesus "wife" he's referring to his church.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bride_of_Christ

clambake
09-19-2012, 04:23 PM
:lmao You people don't know what an analogy means?? I'm agnostic/atheist and know when the bible talks about Jesus "wife" he's referring to his church.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bride_of_Christ

thats creepy

cantthinkofanything
09-19-2012, 04:36 PM
I fixed it. So what next or was that all you had?

That's all. Thanks.

DarkReign
09-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Odd. I never understood why Christianity, as a philosophy and way of life, was so dependent on a virgin birth and un-wed Jesus to give it some weight. What difference does it make if Jesus was actually just a dude that bummed hash off goat herders and talked about how corrupt shit was and how we should just mellow the fuck out and care for one another...that, to me, is more important. Buying into all the other stuff that was used to attract the attention/respect of people in the early centuries is pretty lame, mostly because all that stuff has no bearing on one's ability to follow a Christ-like journey. Same with any other religion or religious figure, there's wisdom to be found while chopping through bullshit jungle...but don't go decorating yourself in the bullshit and pretend it makes you any better than anyone else.

You are usually so sarcastic, its hard to tell sometimes. I'll bite.

Jesus is the son of GOD. God is, by Christian definition, the Alpha and Omega of all things, except evil and sin. Sin is the first creation of God's children, Man.

Moreover, to all Christians, when you refer to God, you refer to the Trinity. Father (god), Son (jesus) and the Holy Spirit (no fucking idea, I think it means the spirit of virtue and morality, that small part of God we all have a and share, the salvation we are guaranteed by right of birth and worship).

Sooooo....

To say Jesus, a permanent, veto-holding member of the Holy Trinity, was married, had sex, bummed hash off of goat-herders is to suggest that God, in his immaculate, omnipotent wisdom and vision, couldnt even conjure a a son by virgin birth who could resist the temptations of everyday man.

If Jesus was with sin, as defined by the Church, then it strikes against the teachings of every Christian institutional message about the unquestioned divinity of Jesus and the power of God himself.

This is where Islam has a one-up on Christianity. The Prophet was never portrayed as anything but a normal human being who had a lengthy visit from Gabriel in a cave. Whether Mohammed was a philanderer, raider, murderer and rapist, he was never characterized as Divine, only Enlightened.

Christianity, otoh, totally fucked if even one shred of true, verified evidence surfaces that shows even the slightest weakness of sin in Jesus.

DarkReign
09-20-2012, 12:50 PM

So, the Church is "...able to be my disciple"? And he refers to the Church as "she"?

Shit man, Jesus was waaaay ahead of the curve, he gave personhood to the Church before we gave it to corporations and believed in the equality of women!

He is the son of God to have that kind of foresight!

Ginobilly
09-20-2012, 01:55 PM
You are usually so sarcastic, its hard to tell sometimes. I'll bite.

Jesus is the son of GOD. God is, by Christian definition, the Alpha and Omega of all things, except evil and sin. Sin is the first creation of God's children, Man.

Moreover, to all Christians, when you refer to God, you refer to the Trinity. Father (god), Son (jesus) and the Holy Spirit (no fucking idea, I think it means the spirit of virtue and morality, that small part of God we all have a and share, the salvation we are guaranteed by right of birth and worship).

Sooooo....

To say Jesus, a permanent, veto-holding member of the Holy Trinity, was married, had sex, bummed hash off of goat-herders is to suggest that God, in his immaculate, omnipotent wisdom and vision, couldnt even conjure a a son by virgin birth who could resist the temptations of everyday man.

If Jesus was with sin, as defined by the Church, then it strikes against the teachings of every Christian institutional message about the unquestioned divinity of Jesus and the power of God himself.

This is where Islam has a one-up on Christianity. The Prophet was never portrayed as anything but a normal human being who had a lengthy visit from Gabriel in a cave. Whether Mohammed was a philanderer, raider, murderer and rapist, he was never characterized as Divine, only Enlightened.

Christianity, otoh, totally fucked if even one shred of true, verified evidence surfaces that shows even the slightest weakness of sin in Jesus.

yeah exactly :lmao
But you gotta admit the bible as a book is a masterpiece compared to the Quran. We are grown-ups here and we Americans don't take religion as serious as the Muslims. That in itself that freaks us out because the majority of us westerners use Christian churches as nothing more than relics of cultural history. When you say Islam has a one up on Christianity, it makes me laugh.:lmao Islam is even more bogus in that it claims Mohammed was visited by the Angel Gabriel in a cave.:lmao There was no angel Gabriel or anything.:lmao Both the Bible and Quran are stories. It's just that the Quran feels like a cheap sequel made by Joel Schumacher compared to the Bible which feels like it was written by JR Tolkien. The Quran feels like it changed scripture of the torah and bible to further the political cause of desert bums. It's like trying to change the story of a great novel which was written hundreds of years before the quran. (which is what the bible is)

It's like trying to change the Lord of the Rings story. It's going to anger a lot of nerds and fans. Look at star wars ratings after George Lucas did all those changes. :lmao

It's not called the greatest story ever told for no reason. Think about it.

Blake
09-20-2012, 02:03 PM
It's not called the greatest story ever told for no reason. Think about it.

Its not called the greatest story ever told because it's some type of literary masterpiece.

It's poorly written in many parts, starting with Genesis.

Think harder about it.

Ginobilly
09-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Its not called the greatest story ever told because it's some type of literary masterpiece.

It's poorly written in many parts, starting with Genesis.

Think harder about it.

Look it at in the whole big scheme of things.

How many great stories, nations, wars, social-political changes has it inspired??? thousands of ideas have come from the bible(both good and bad). We are already moving past literal religion it into the age of pure science in many countries which are considered "Christian" and Christianity is evolving side by side in harmony with it.

This is what the Quran has inspired: Poverty stricken nations, No religious freedom or tolerance, women and children oppression, etc.

Islamist are just mad cause Christians are evolving into Jedi's:hat and they have no choice but to be the sith as this journey of human life continues into the future.:lmao

Blake
09-20-2012, 02:40 PM
you didn't think any harder about it

Clipper Nation
09-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Who out there doesn't know far more people who believe in "a" God than don't? How many churches are out there compared to places for atheists to hang out? At what point do all you ....bah humbuggers....figure it out? "MOST"...human beings prefer a life with "a" God in it than living a life with .....nothing.

:lol Thinking that the majority opinion is always right

Avante
09-20-2012, 03:01 PM

Who gives a fuck if they are right or wrong? Who can prove jack shit eiher way? So you do what makes..."YOU"..feel the best. MOST...people prefer a God in their life. That cannot be argued. If you don't want a God in your life who really gives a fuck?

redzero
09-20-2012, 03:04 PM
If you don't want a God in your life who really gives a fuck?

You do, obviously, since you called atheists cowards (the whole foxhole thing), and idiots for "gambling with the afterlife."

Avante
09-20-2012, 03:10 PM
You do, obviously, since you called atheists cowards (the whole foxhole thing), and idiots for "gambling with the afterlife."

Still struggling with those comprehension skills, wow!

I wasn't talking about atheists I was talking about him. If he dried up and blew away right now....yippee!!!!!!!!!

redzero
09-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Oh, are you saying that it's okay to dispute the existence of God?

Blake
09-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Who gives a fuck if they are right or wrong? Who can prove jack shit eiher way? So you do what makes..."YOU"..feel the best. MOST...people prefer a God in their life. That cannot be argued. If you don't want a God in your life who really gives a fuck?

If they are wrong, they need to keep their beliefs out of public policy making.

Avante
09-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Oh, are you saying that it's okay to dispute the existence of God?

I'm saying it's ok to do whatever makes you feel the best about life when opinions concerning religion. As long as they don't interfer with others that is.

Avante
09-20-2012, 03:18 PM
If they are wrong, they need to keep their beliefs out of public policy making.

So tell me how does anyone know they are wrong, dying to see this.

Drachen
09-20-2012, 03:21 PM

and athiests have no where to hang out? They can hang out anywhere, even church!

redzero
09-20-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm saying it's ok to do whatever makes you feel the best about life when opinions concerning religion. As long as they don't interfer with others that is.

Then why are you knocking my reading comprehension if that is basically what you were saying in the other post I quoted?

You claim that everybody should just mind their own business, them turn around and call atheists idiots and cowards.

Blake
09-20-2012, 04:20 PM
So tell me how does anyone know they are wrong, dying to see this.

Not really dying to hear your response, but what the hell:

Do you think that gays shouldn't get married?

Should we keeping spending time and money aiding Israel?

baseline bum
09-20-2012, 04:48 PM
LOL historically reliable Christian literature.

baseline bum
09-20-2012, 04:51 PM

To be fair, Jesus had a shitty father with a crazy temper and a penchant for genocide. It was probably in his genes.

leemajors
09-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Borges had a great story called The Three Versions of Judas. The last version ends with this:

"God became a man completely, a man to the point of infamy, a man to the point of being reprehensible - all the way to the abyss. In order to save us, He could have chosen any of the destinies which together weave the uncertain web of history; He could have been Alexander, or Pythagoras, or Rurik, or Jesus; He chose an infamous destiny: He was Judas."

Ginobilly
09-21-2012, 12:52 PM
you didn't think any harder about it

:lmao Who cares really if God and the bible turns out to be real or false??? You worry about it too much Blake, considering you're always bashing religion every chance you get. It is what it is Dawg. That's how history turned out to be and this is how the present is and the future will be. Christianity and Judaism is here to stay on earth. You sound like those Mexican-American/Native Americans that are still mad that the Spanish and English conquered the Americas and introduced Christianity.:lmao

Blake
09-21-2012, 02:02 PM
:lmao Who cares really if God and the bible turns out to be real or false???

Because many politicians like to fall back on biblical morals when making pubic policy.

if anyone could ever prove that the Bible is 100% accurate from front to back, then I'd have no issue.

Until then, politicians that rely on bible standards do our society no favors. If anything, those idiots hold us back.

<You worry about it too much Blake, considering you're always bashing religion every chance you get. It is what it is Dawg.

watching the forum Christians get angry and seeing the devil come through their viscious nasty posts is a true blessing from above.

It is what it is

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Jesus was part god, part man, came to Earth as a man to show you clown non believers the way if you accept his teachings.
Why hasn't he done that in the last 2000+ years?

Jesus
09-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Why hasn't he done that in the last 2000+ years?

When I do you won't believe it anyhow. Oh, but you will learn......the hard way.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-21-2012, 03:31 PM

I believe the man Jesus of Nazareth existed. I don't believe he was that smart. I believe he stole bits and pieces from the Chinese writings. I believe he was one of many messiahs to have been wandering about, aimless and too fucking lazy to work. I believe Paul was the reason his story was so successful, because Paul saw something he could pervert and control and so Paul set out to make rigid what Jesus had made pliable since pliable concepts don't last but rules do.

No that is the bullshit that you want to believe from Revelations and one of the other NT books that you interepret conveniently. They do not explicitly say that and typically it is interpreted that it is the Church that is his bride.

Get your doctrine right for fucks sake.

the problem is that if you pay attention to the first few centuries and the formation of the church it is pretty obvious that one faction of belief won and literally killed off the competition. Nestor for example was a particular dickhead.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-21-2012, 03:35 PM

Umm the Gospels were put together in 185 AD.