PDA

View Full Version : Jalen Rose Intentionally Injured Kobe

Darth_Pelican
09-20-2012, 09:24 AM
http://www.ibtimes.com/jalen-rose-admits-intentionally-injuring-kobe-bryant-2000-nba-finals-793546 (http://www.ibtimes.com/jalen-rose-admits-intentionally-injuring-kobe-bryant-2000-nba-finals-793546)

Jalen Rose Admits Intentionally Injuring Kobe Bryant In 2000 NBA Finals

BY Jeff Stone (http://www.ibtimes.com/reporters/jeff-stone) | September 19 2012 8:11 PM

During an interview with Bill Simmons’ Grantland.com (http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/player?id=8391485), Jalen Rose confirmed what many fans had suspected for years: He intentionally injured Kobe Bryant during the 2000 NBA Finals when Rose’s Indiana Pacers were up against the Los Angeles Lakers, featuring Shaquille O’Neal and a young Bryant.

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/rectangle_thumbnail/public/kobe.jpg

Right after Bryant expanded the Los Angeles Lakers lead by three points, he came down hard and writhed in pain on the floor. Rose came up with the ball and led the charge to the other end of the court, missing a three-pointer off the rim. You can watch a video of the incident play out below.

“Kobe Bean Bryant goes up for a jump shot out on the right wing,” Rose said during the Grantland podcast. “I contest the jump shot. Kobe lands on my foot. He hobbles off and actually misses the next game. If it was up to me, he should’ve just missed the whole series. I would’ve had a championship ring and it would’ve been no harm, no foul.

“I think I did it on purpose. I can’t say that it was an accident.”

Bryant would eventually go on to help the Lakers win the championship, his first of five titles. Rose would later be a member of the Toronto Raptors team that was at the receiving end of Bryant’s now-famous 81-point performance.

While Bryant still reigns as one of the NBA’s major superstars, Rose has made a name for himself as an outspoken basketball analyst on ESPN. Along with his Grantland podcast, Rose also contributes to College Game Day and as an announcer.

He’s also a contributor on the popular talking heads show “First Take,” where Rose made news recently for exposing the oft-maligned Skip Bayless’ exaggerations about his own playing career. During the argument, Rose attacks Bayless’s credibility (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLH0wOK92pg&feature=related) because he played on the junior varsity basketball team as a junior in high school.

Darth_Pelican
09-20-2012, 09:26 AM
http://cdn.cosbysweaters.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/j-rose-drinking.png
http://ll-media.tmz.com/2011/03/29/0329-jalen-rose-mugshot-ex.jpg

lefty
09-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Rose :worthy:

Findog's Ex Fiancee
09-20-2012, 10:25 AM
:lol I've always disliked Jalen Rose, but I now have a new found respect for him, tbh..

Venti Quattro
09-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Sup HarlemHeat?

Ryan Fitzpatrick
09-20-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm glad it only took him 12 years to grow a sac and cop to it:lol

Game 4:lol

lefty
09-20-2012, 12:43 PM
The 3 games played in Indiana in this series were fun to watch TBH

FkLA
09-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Good for him. More players should do that to Kobe imo.

BRHornet45
09-20-2012, 02:15 PM
sons I just gained mad respect for Jalen now. its just a damn shame that he didn't do the job well enough to end Kobe's career. (and yes I'm being dead serious when I say that)

I can't stand watching media created superstars receive 100% of the credit for doing maybe 20% of the work at most. Kobe is the absolute best example of this. with Shaq he was nothing more than a glorified role player and with Gasol and others he was one of the two or three standouts, but not the reason they won.

Chris
09-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Jalen Rose keeps it real always, he's also an analyst who doesn't spit the same rhetoric that the media pumps out on a daily basis.

Venti Quattro
09-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Ginobili deserves more to be injured because he's a flopper, Tony Parker for being a home-wrecker of a teammate's family and Duncan for being plain boring. Maybe injuring him will make him a little bit interesting.

Venti Quattro
09-20-2012, 02:45 PM
sons I just gained mad respect for Jalen now. its just a damn shame that he didn't do the job well enough to end Kobe's career. (and yes I'm being dead serious when I say that)

I can't stand watching media created superstars receive 100% of the credit for doing maybe 20% of the work at most. Kobe is the absolute best example of this. with Shaq he was nothing more than a glorified role player and with Gasol and others he was one of the two or three standouts, but not the reason they won.
You blow hot and cold and Kobe, borderlining hypocrite, so you are not to be taken seriously.

lefty
09-20-2012, 03:15 PM
:lol

Ryan Fitzpatrick
09-20-2012, 03:19 PM
:lolso much visceral hatred for the Mamba in this thread.
:lolthink of the pain he must've inflicted over the years to garner this much hatred
:lolstill wishing injury on Kobe after the damage has been done: 5 rings, MVP, 2FMVP, best single performance of our lifetimes (81 pts), and one white bitch raped (that we know of)
:lolwish away, bitta niggas

lefty
09-20-2012, 03:33 PM
:lolthink of the pain he must've inflicted over the years to garner this much hatred
:lolstill wishing injury on Kobe after the damage has been done: 5 rings, MVP, 2FMVP, best single performance of our lifetimes (81 pts), and one white bitch raped (that we know of)
5 rings as a wingman :lmao
81 pts vs a shitty Raptors team, taking all the shots :lmao

Medvedenko
09-20-2012, 03:46 PM
It ceases to amaze me. Kobe's created so much throughout his career that dudes like Rose are still being talked about...due to Kobe and his greatness. Props to him for trying to win at all costs. Nothing wrong with that as you should take any competitive edge to win, even if it means possibly injuring a player to do so. Par for the course on a dude that failed when it mattered.

BR, you're the best bro. Keep trollin' son.

mavs>spurs
09-20-2012, 03:46 PM
:cry you're all just mad :cry doesn't really hold up because i'm a mav fan, and we've never even lost to kobe in the playoffs, yet I agree with the so called "haters." i just recognize bad basketball when I see it, kobe had talent but his game would have never translated to wins without awesome supporting casts. his usage rate has always been off the charts..I always laugh when people try to put him even in the same breath as mj. MJ shot 50% for his career..kobe is at like 44 or 45%.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
09-20-2012, 03:48 PM
:lollefty attempting comebacks

Medvedenko
09-20-2012, 03:54 PM
:cry you're all just mad :cry doesn't really hold up because i'm a mav fan, and we've never even lost to kobe in the playoffs, yet I agree with the so called "haters." i just recognize bad basketball when I see it, kobe had talent but his game would have never translated to wins without awesome supporting casts. his usage rate has always been off the charts..I always laugh when people try to put him even in the same breath as mj. MJ shot 50% for his career..kobe is at like 44 or 45%.

Career shooting %'s are so abritrary and subjective when they are close as a .5% variance. For every 20 shots taking it equates to one more made basked for MJ. You use personal shot % and then equate it to a supporting cast discussion.....makes no sense bro.

O.J. Simpson
09-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Career shooting %'s are so abritrary and subjective when they are close as a .5% variance. For every 20 shots taking it equates to one more made basked for MJ. You use personal shot % and then equate it to a supporting cast discussion.....makes no sense bro.

Keep swinging off Kobe's nuts like he know you exist, you Canadian faggot.

BRHornet45
09-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Kobe Bryant was pushed to the top and down our throats by the NBA and media for financial reasons and financial reasons only. They needed another MJ in a large market city and they chose Kobe. He sells tickets and boat loads of jerseys and shoes in America and China and that is all that matters. The NBA and media accomplished their mission with "The Kobe Agenda", but REAL basketball fans know the truth....

Kobe hasn't needed a supporting cast for the Lakers to be successful, he has needed an All Star stacked supporting cast for the Lakers to be successful. Those first three titles were completely due to Shaq while Kobe played more of a Tony K./Steve Kerr/borderline Scottie Pippen role, but all you hear in the media in recent years is Kobe Kobe Kobe. I guess they figured "well most fans were dumb enough to buy into our Kobe agenda and its been many years since Shaq so I'm sure most of them will forget about it and we can give all the credit to Kobe. It will help sell more product". With the other two championships Kobe again needed superstars around him and was one of the 3 main standout players on the team, but far from being the reason the Lakers won.

Look the proof is in the pudding. Kobe had his chance to prove that he was the man for nearly three and a half years in between Shaq and Gasol/stacked teams and he failed misreably leading the Lakers to a 121-125 record, two first round knockouts, and not even making the playoffs once. Yet no one in the media wants to talk about that because again it goes back to financial reasons. It hurts their product when their chosen poster boy gets exposed as the glorified role player that he truly is.

O.J. Simpson
09-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Kobe Bryant was pushed to the top and down our throats by the NBA and media for financial reasons and financial reasons only. They needed another MJ in a large market city and they chose Kobe. He sells tickets and boat loads of jerseys and shoes in America and China and that is all that matters. The NBA and media accomplished their mission with "The Kobe Agenda", but REAL basketball fans know the truth....

Kobe hasn't needed a supporting cast for the Lakers to be successful, he has needed an All Star stacked supporting cast for the Lakers to be successful. Those first three titles were completely due to Shaq while Kobe played more of a Tony K./Steve Kerr/borderline Scottie Pippen role, but all you hear in the media in recent years is Kobe Kobe Kobe. I guess they figured "well most fans were dumb enough to buy into our Kobe agenda and its been many years since Shaq so I'm sure most of them will forget about it and we can give all the credit to Kobe. It will help sell more product". With the other two championships Kobe again needed superstars around him and was one of the 3 main standout players on the team, but far from being the reason the Lakers won.

Look the proof is in the pudding. Kobe had his chance to prove that he was the man for nearly three and a half years in between Shaq and Gasol/stacked teams and he failed misreably leading the Lakers to a 121-125 record, two first round knockouts, and not even making the playoffs once. Yet no one in the media wants to talk about that because again it goes back to financial reasons. It hurts their product when their chosen poster boy gets exposed as the glorified role player that he truly is.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/065/2/f/umk3_sub_zero_fatality_gif_by_f3ryx-d4rw5tf.gif

Ryan Fitzpatrick
09-20-2012, 04:10 PM
:lolKobe cuckolded your franchise and has been winning ever since

FkLA
09-20-2012, 04:13 PM

^Truth bomb.

The media really does baby the guy. I cant recall the last time any journalist or analyst called the first three titles out for what they were. They always just lump the five titles together. Not to mention hes been gifted a bunch all-defense+a couple all-nba nods.

LkrFan
09-20-2012, 04:51 PM

:lol

ohmwrecker
09-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Greatest moment of his career, imho.

LkrFan
09-20-2012, 05:11 PM

121-125? Look at the shit roster he had to play with. Of all the people on that roster, right now at least 80% is either out of the league, or victory cigars for their teams. The three names of any significance on that roster look like this today:

- LO is a head case and won't do shit for the Clips
- Bynum was upgraded for the best center in the game. He's an all star, but didn't even play back then (Zen Master)
- Fish is looking for work

That's it. No one else is worth mentioning. But carry on with your (funny) agenda. :lol

How many rings did Shaq win without Kobe? Be careful with your answer because we all know the 2006 Finals were fixed. We know how Kobe ended up after the split. But that's not the point. Your hypocrisy knows no limits. I'd be willing to bet my paycheck that if your inept Hornets FO hadn't traded his drafting rights for Vlade MF'n Divac, BS posts like this is just the opposite. From you. If Kobe were still a Hornet it's no guarantee your FO would have surrounded him with the pieces necessary to compete for a ring. You need evidence? Exhibit A: CP3 is the best PG since Magic, yet not only did your FO fail to surround him with competent talent, they traded him for two cents on the dollar.

So I think your vitriole for Kobe is sorely misplaced. Be mad at your FO for trading him away. You are acting like you're scorn. Wanna talk about it? PM me dawg. :lol

whitemamba
09-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Everyone needing him to get injured proves how good he is , and how bad you don't wanna ply hm tbh...

lefty
09-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Everyone needing him to get injured proves how good he is , and how bad you don't wanna ply hm tbh...

He was really good that season TBH

Played within the system and made good decisions with the ball

A great wingman

Venti Quattro
09-20-2012, 11:30 PM
:lol Goods delivered

lefty
09-20-2012, 11:59 PM
How can we hate Kobe when he single handedly lost 2 games to OKC in the last playoffs ?

Oh wait, it was my fault, I shouldnt have started those 2 jinx threads when the Gasols had 10 pt leads in the 4th quarters

I pwned the Mamba from my computer :lmao

Legend my ass :lol

Venti Quattro
09-21-2012, 12:09 AM
:lol That just proves you're a terrorist even while you're sitting in a computer.

lefty
09-21-2012, 12:18 AM
:lol That just proves you're a terrorist even while you're sitting in a computer.

Ouch :lol

Fabbs
09-21-2012, 12:59 AM
You can watch a video of the incident play out below.
where?

namlook
09-21-2012, 02:18 AM
I always laugh when people try to put him even in the same breath as mj. MJ shot 50% for his career..kobe is at like 44 or 45%.

Typical ignorance. Kobe shot a lot more threes than Jordan so of course his percentage will be lower. Much more significant than FG% is points per shot.

Jordan: 1.316 points per shot attempt
Kobe: 1.299 points per shot attempt

That's a .017 difference.

Jodelo
09-21-2012, 06:00 AM
Does not help if you take 287 threes a season (in 58 games :lol)and only hit 30% of them...

:depressedBut he shoots threes, so his FG% is lower:depressed

scanry
09-21-2012, 06:15 AM
I have no idea why Jalen would even bring this up?

I sure hope he didn't kiss his ESPN gig goodbye. He made headlines alright, but let's see how people treat him this coming season.

He's lucky Kobe is not relevant anymore.:wow If that was KD or Lebron, Stern wouldn't have taken it lightly.

lefty
09-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Typical ignorance. Kobe shot a lot more threes than Jordan so of course his percentage will be lower. Much more significant than FG% is points per shot.

Jordan: 1.316 points per shot attempt
Kobe: 1.299 points per shot attempt

That's a .017 difference.
He also missed more 2 pt FG's than Jordan

Sorry but you cant have Jordan and Kobie in the same sentence

ElNono
09-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Katrina-baby with the truth bombs in here... If Kirby would've played for Philly or Houston we would be talking an Iverson/T-Mac caliber player here... very talented egomaniac...

Medvedenko
09-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Katrina-baby with the truth bombs in here... If Kirby would've played for Philly or Houston we would be talking an Iverson/T-Mac caliber player here... very talented egomaniac...

Conjecture at best...or maybe he'd be heralded even more prominently as he wouldn't be compared to the all time great Lakers before him. I'll take the plethora of statements from GM's, coaches, former players and existing players about Kobe's legacy and transcendent play over remarks posted on this board. Sorry, that's the real truth bomb.

It's hilarious to read these comments. Great troll jobs by everyone.

BR reminds of the Westboro Baptist church with his diatribes.

ElNono
09-21-2012, 11:56 AM
^ Or maybe LA is one of the biggest spin, news-hungry machines in the country...

Ryan Fitzpatrick
09-21-2012, 12:00 PM
LA is where everyone who matters wants to play. LJ alluded to the fact that Duncan wanted to be a Laker too. Deep down you know part of MJ wishes he could've donned the P&G. It's the same for aspiring baseball players. When you're growing up, you wanna play ball for either your home team or the Yankees. In basketball, the home team or the Lakers. They're God's gift to basketball, what can I say...

HeatChamps
09-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Someone needs to run Rose over with a car. Just fucking die already. Kobe is da man.

lefty
09-21-2012, 12:57 PM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm290/moob2008/GIFZ/jalenrose.gif

namlook
09-21-2012, 03:12 PM
He also missed more 2 pt FG's than Jordan

Sorry but you cant have Jordan and Kobie in the same sentence

You should tell that to Jordan.

"Kobe’s the only one to have done the work, to deserve comparison"
Michael Jordan
January 2012

lefty
09-21-2012, 03:30 PM
You should tell that to Jordan.

"Kobe’s the only one to have done the work, to deserve comparison"
Michael Jordan
January 2012

To deserve comparison

Doesnt mean he is in the same league

Kobie nuthuggers :lol

http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/denver/drew/litt0710.gif

Medvedenko
09-21-2012, 04:19 PM
I love how Kobe's a media avatar and propped up without any substance...then Kobe haters use the media regarding his demise and detriment to the game when comparing to MJ. Which is it.....
Like I said, F the media, it's all about the players, coaches, gm's and to some extent fans (students of the game) to really scrutinize and analyze accolades objectively. ESPN et al get ratings. One day they praise the other they vilify. Rarely it discusses actual conversation on content.

mavs>spurs
09-21-2012, 04:24 PM
So the real question is..does Jalen Rose make it into the hall of fame after this?

whitemamba
09-21-2012, 06:43 PM

:lmao

scanry
09-22-2012, 07:02 AM

Is that Mad Dog, Robinson? I see Rasho sitting next to him.

ElNono
09-22-2012, 10:24 AM
That's Van Exel...