PDA

View Full Version : Call It Now: Will The Spurs Repeat in 2006?

bigbendbruisebrother
06-25-2005, 10:07 PM
Yes or no? Will this team repeat as NBA Champions in 2005-2006?

Joaquin
06-25-2005, 10:07 PM
yes

Manu20
06-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Yes

Sense
You are asking Spurs Fans...

OF COURSE.

Horry For 3!
Yes, I never doubt the Spurs. Go Spurs Go!

bigbendbruisebrother
Hell yes!

1Parker1
06-25-2005, 10:12 PM
It is ONE day after we just won the NBA Championship in a GAME 7......even the most pessimistic Spurs fan is not going to say NO right now. :)

spursupporter
06-25-2005, 10:12 PM
a dynasty has just begin...
go spurs go!

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Si.
Da.
Oui.
Yes.

rascal
06-25-2005, 10:14 PM
I voted no. The only one so far.

ObiwanGinobili
06-25-2005, 10:15 PM
I vote YES.
I think we can, and we should.
will.... well, we'll find out.

I can actually picture an every other year trend going on for us.
Like the Spurs are so nice they let other teams have the trophy every other year to keep good vibes around the NBA.

Spursdaone
06-25-2005, 10:15 PM
I would say they can win but have to avoid the injury bug which has taken many teams away from championships. It is too early to know because of other teams are capable of getting better.

Ginobili_20_gold_medalist
06-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Barring serious injury to some of the key guys on the team I think they'll repeat. The Spurs gained a lot of experience and character from this tough playoff run and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

rascal
06-25-2005, 10:25 PM
This year's finals was close. If the spurs stay the same and don't try to get better and one of the other top teams in the league does they won't and thats not even taking injuries into account. Its not easy to repeat. Few teams repeat.

There will be a lot of changes like every off season and some teams may make big improvements from one year to the next with the right moves, like Phoenix. Thats why I don't want the spurs to do nothing or next to nothing in the off season.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2005, 10:27 PM
Spurs need Vince Carter. Then they'd win their first championship.

ObiwanGinobili
06-25-2005, 10:29 PM

:lol thats fucked up

atlfan25
06-25-2005, 10:30 PM
Yes.

OmEgA
06-25-2005, 10:32 PM
We need to win not just to shut up some of those critics out there (*cough*fAkEr FaNs*cough), but also to show that this current Team can succeed B2B where the last 2 Championship ones did not. With Drob back in '99, it would have been incredible had they been able to win in '00... but, we all know what happened there :(

Would anyone trade the '03 Title for a '00 Championship, instead?

TD & MANU should finally get some deserving REST & be ReCharged for next season... whereas, TP needs to hit the gym & work hard on his game (Shooting: FT & Jumper). There's no more excuses for Him next season to still be inconsistant, young or not. With 2 RINGS under the belt, He's to improve more & help the Team get back to another Title next year (not just a couple of good games here & there).

So yeah, B2B would be 'fantastic'

Dre_7
06-25-2005, 10:32 PM

:lmao :lmao

Not this again!!!! ;)

Hillarious! :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Would anyone trade the '03 Title for a '00 Championship, instead?

Are you crazy? David Robinson going out on top was something that you couldn't have scripted.

It was one of those times where nice guys finished first.

Oh, and a big up yours to Stephen A. Smith.

Spursy
06-25-2005, 11:02 PM
I say YES , but the waters look chopy. The suns loss may have been because (not just because they have no defence) nash just rolled up in their mid season. Now he'll have a chance to practice and fit in better with his team. Im not saying spurs cant take em ,but itl be that much harder

beirmeistr
06-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Yes.
But they will have to do some sharp dealing during the summer to keep up with the competition that will do the same---the Suns, the Pistons, the heat.
I think they have a lot of depth, but could solidify their bench with Scola, Brown,---I like Big Dog but too high-priced unless he wants another ring and will settle for something reasonable. And I would like to see brent barry used more as backup point guard along with Beno. Barry did allright as backup pg against Detroit.

Vashner
06-25-2005, 11:14 PM
They have an excellent chance.

Avoid injuries. Win more road games. Keep the home fort secured.

Get 1st instead of 2nd for better position.

Lock Eva out of Tony's room b4 games so he's not tired.

Keys' to victory 06!

beirmeistr
06-25-2005, 11:31 PM
They have an excellent chance.

Avoid injuries. Win more road games. Keep the home fort secured.

Get 1st instead of 2nd for better position.

Lock Eva out of Tony's room b4 games so he's not tired.

Keys' to victory 06!
You forgot one more thing---plenty of pine tar for Mohammed's hands, lol.

baseline bum
06-25-2005, 11:38 PM
We don't even know what the league is going to look like next year. I'd rather look back at this season, enjoy this year's title, and wait until mid-July to worry about what moves, contracts, etc. need to be done to defend this title. As a fan I'm a little worn out. I'm guessing the players are loving it just getting away after such a pressure packed and difficult run.

pooh
06-25-2005, 11:44 PM
No they wont.

MiNuS
06-26-2005, 12:02 AM
yes I hope they win the next 5 in a row! Barring any injuries and after tonight some stupid music company signing Tony Parker to a record deal.

I totally loved how Barry brought out the fun tonight.

Rummpd
06-26-2005, 05:29 AM
Spurs to be tested all year by a tougher Dallas team but once again under pressure Dallas will find a way to screw it up. Sonics will not be as good, Denver will be tough but not quite ready and Suns who the heck knows?

Spurs move into finals vs. Indiana (who will beat off Miami in a classic) and take it in 6 next year after losing one game on a Jackson dagger vs. them.

No worries though Spurs come back and take it.

jochhejaam
06-26-2005, 06:44 AM
Here's a column from Mark Stein titled: FUTURE GLOWING FOR FINALISTS:

"It took seven games to separate the two best teams in the league. It'll take a lot longer to settle the debate about which team has the better future.

That's because the answer might actually be: Both.

It's true. Extended glory is in the forecast in San Antonio and Detroit. These franchises share more than a team-first, defense-next mindset. They've also managed their rosters so adroitly that it'll be years before either one has to worry about a star player defecting in free agency.

So we hope you had no issues with seven games of Spurs vs. Pistons. Chances are it wasn't the last such Finals, as the following breakdowns suggest:

San Antonio
Tim Duncan is 29. Manu Ginobili turns 28 next month. They're not exactly Shaq and Kobe, but they're in their primes and quite happily married. They also share room to improve. Yikes"....(Below is the url for the whole story).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2094534&num=0

JustSpurs
06-26-2005, 07:01 AM
Every team out there is going to make adjustments and trades with one major goal "Beating the Spurs". We are the Champs until somebody takes it away...and they will try like hell to do that all 82 games next year.

Maribor Slovenia
06-26-2005, 07:39 AM
Yes, they will be champions in season 2005/06.

NZHayden
06-26-2005, 07:45 AM
this is one of those silly threads

Slo spurs fan
06-26-2005, 08:35 AM
50 & 21, Aggie Hoopsfan, ALVAREZ6, atlfan25, BadlyDrawnBoy, beirmeistr, bigbendbruisebrother, brom66an6, cmc$purs, conversekid, CrimsonSpur, Duncan21, duncan_21, emveepee, foodie2, Ginobili_20_gold_medalist, ginobili_is_god, Goddess Spur, GopherSA, Horry For 3!, Joaquin, JustSpurs, KewlKat00, manu got game, Manu'sMagicalLeftHand, Manu20, MaNuMaNiA, Maribor Slovenia, Mr. Body, NeoConIV, NZHayden, ObiwanGinobili, OmEgA, polandprzem, Rummpd, rwb, Sense, shelshor, ShiFtY, slayermin, Slo spurs fan, Slomo, spursfan20, spursupporter, Spursy, SuperSpur, TDfan2007, TexasBalla1001, texbumTHElife, TNT21, Vashner, wolves009, yaicu2

FUCK wolves009 voted YES!!! :lol

ALVAREZ6
06-26-2005, 08:46 AM
FUCK wolves009 voted YES!!! :lol
That's a good little bitch!

Sii
06-26-2005, 09:33 AM
I voted no. The only one so far.

was there any fucking doubt you would vote no? I bet your miserable ass didnt even enjoy this 3rd title

bigbendbruisebrother
06-26-2005, 11:13 AM
San Antonio
Tim Duncan is 29. Manu Ginobili turns 28 next month. They're not exactly Shaq and Kobe, but they're in their primes and quite happily married. They also share room to improve. Yikes"....(Below is the url for the whole story).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2094534&num=0

Nice article. Thanks for posting it jochhejaam.

BillsCarnage
06-26-2005, 11:29 AM
I always hate silly threads like this. It's too early to predict what a team will do in the off season. Heck, the Spurs could trade Parker for Kidd, then they'd be screwed! Wait til next season and start the tread again.

But i voted no.

:fro

bigbendbruisebrother
06-26-2005, 11:32 AM
I always hate silly threads like this. It's too early to predict what a team will do in the off season. Heck, the Spurs could trade Parker for Kidd, then they'd be screwed! Wait til next season and start the tread again.

But i voted no.

Dang, Bill, I thought we'd turned you. You were one of the few faithful after game four.

No matter, you're still a better Spurs fan than TPark, for what that's worth.

silverandblackattack
06-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Why not? They've got the core group locked down for at least 4 more years. With the addition of Scola they will only improve, and Manu Ginobili will only continue to improve his game as he has every year since his arrival; he's on the brink of becoming a super-star and an NBA Legend........

N.Y. Johnny
06-26-2005, 12:05 PM
We don't even know what the league is going to look like next year. I'd rather look back at this season, enjoy this year's title, and wait until mid-July to worry about what moves, contracts, etc. need to be done to defend this title. As a fan I'm a little worn out. I'm guessing the players are loving it just getting away after such a pressure packed and difficult run.

thats true...there's too much that might change in between then and now.
But I do like their odds for next year.

silverandblackattack
06-26-2005, 12:14 PM
Spurs to be tested all year by a tougher Dallas team but once again under pressure Dallas will find a way to screw it up. Sonics will not be as good, Denver will be tough but not quite ready and Suns who the heck knows?

Spurs move into finals vs. Indiana (who will beat off Miami in a classic) and take it in 6 next year after losing one game on a Jackson dagger vs. them.

No worries though Spurs come back and take it.

I agree, Indiana will be the team to beat in the Eastern Conference next season. They were kicking everyone's a$$ before that brawl with Detroit and still managed to keep it together enough to make the playoffs after losing their best players for many games and Ron Artest (an offensive and defensive juggernaut) for the season. 2005-2006 Finals - San Antonio Spurs vs. Indiana Pacers. Spurs win in 7......

bigbendbruisebrother
06-26-2005, 12:47 PM
I agree, Indiana will be the team to beat in the Eastern Conference next season. They were kicking everyone's a$$ before that brawl with Detroit and still managed to keep it together enough to make the playoffs after losing their best players for many games and Ron Artest (an offensive and defensive juggernaut) for the season. 2005-2006 Finals - San Antonio Spurs vs. Indiana Pacers. Spurs win in 7......

Wouldn't it suck ass if Indiana finally got it's shit together now that Reggie Miller has retired?

Duncan21
06-26-2005, 01:36 PM
i would be stupid if i said no

Dex
06-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Book it.

CosmicCowboy
06-26-2005, 02:10 PM
Spurs are definitely the team to beat and will be wearing that bullseye every game next year...Adding Scola should be huge along with Nazr getting a full training camp and season. Barry is finaly starting to fit in. I am confident that barring critical injuries that the 2005-2006 Spurs will be even better than the 2004-2005 Spurs.

Will we win it all in 2006? Hell...I was convinced that we would repeat in 2000 and 2004 so I am not gonna let the hubris of the recent championship cloud my judgement again this time...Spurs are the defending champions and it's their championship to lose.

In the west we are gonna have some serious competition...Seattle and Memphis will probably slide a little but Dallas, Houston, Denver, Phoenix, Lakers, Minnesota, and yes...the Jazz should improve in the off season...Lakers can't help but improve with PJackson back...hell...even Golden State should be better...Portlands still rebuilding and the Clippers are the Clippers...but overall the West is still hellaciously tough to fight through...

all that being said I think that this Spurs team will have everything it needs to make it to the finals again and slug it out with the Pistons again next June...

CosmicCowboy
06-26-2005, 02:17 PM
I notice that everyone is picking Indiana in the East assuming that Artest will be the difference. Lets just agree to disagree on that one. Artest is a hugely talented player but he has an awful attitude and always finds a way to let the pressure get to him and screw things up. It wouldn't even surprise me if Indiana shops him this summer.

SpursChampsIII
06-26-2005, 02:36 PM

"It took seven games to separate the two best teams in the league. It'll take a lot longer to settle the debate about which team has the better future.

That's because the answer might actually be: Both.

It's true. Extended glory is in the forecast in San Antonio and Detroit. These franchises share more than a team-first, defense-next mindset. They've also managed their rosters so adroitly that it'll be years before either one has to worry about a star player defecting in free agency.

So we hope you had no issues with seven games of Spurs vs. Pistons. Chances are it wasn't the last such Finals, as the following breakdowns suggest:

San Antonio

Actually, that is a pretty accurate article. Lots of if's for both teams. Pistons will definitely have to have LB back...you can't replace a guy like that. I will say that Detroit threw away a chance to dominate for years when they picked Darko.

SpursChampsIII
06-26-2005, 02:38 PM

Detroit and Miami are still better than Indiana.

CosmicCowboy
06-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Actually, that is a pretty accurate article. Lots of if's for both teams. Pistons will definitely have to have LB back...you can't replace a guy like that. I will say that Detroit threw away a chance to dominate for years when they picked Darko.

I think Darko has gotten a bad rap. Detriot intentionally picked him because they knew he needed a few years to develop and they didn't have to throw him on the floor immediately. The guy was an 18 year old bigman prospect when they drafted him and big guys just don't transition as easily as backcourt guys...It took Jermaine O'Neal 4 years to become an impact player. We may not get to see him in games but don't forget he is playing every day in practice against the two Wallaces and can't help but get better...

constantstate
06-26-2005, 03:03 PM
i voted yes. theres no reason to believe otherwise.

shelshor
06-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Of course!!!!!!

Mixability
06-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Yes, even though the Western Conference will only get harder... what sucks though is that we were basically 0.4 away from a three-peat!

bigzak25
06-26-2005, 03:20 PM
foshizzle. :smokin

we'll get another defender/3pt shooter and scola which will make the Spurs better than anyone else...again.

the only challengers would be miami if they get some defensive help.

silverandblackattack
06-26-2005, 10:04 PM
Detroit and Miami are still better than Indiana.
Yes, currently they are better (duh)!!! Were you watching ballgames earlier in the season before the Pacers and the Pistons brawled it out? Did you see the score (as well as their record) before Ben Wallace became angry at Artest? Pistons were getting blown out at home by a really good Pacers team who, by the way, had the best record in the league at that time (even better than Phoenixs')......Mark my word, Indiana will be brawling it out with the Pistons for the Eastern conference championship next season, not MIAMI.....

E20
06-26-2005, 10:07 PM
Helllllllllllllllllllllllllll Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

BillsCarnage
06-26-2005, 11:28 PM
What usually happens to championship teams?? They get picked apart by the league. As you see by the first person, Danny Ferry, getting plucked up by the Cavs. Don't be surprised when PJ goes too. Who else is on the horizon?? These may just be front office/coaching people now, but they're still part of the group that built this team. Who knows the next dir. of Bball ops may be a huge JKidd fan...

Sometimes it seems the Spurs are the most apathetic team in Bball. A lot will change in the off season, but if they can repeat i'd be very impressed. Don't think they will though. Hopefully they'll be suffering from a purple haze :drunk

SpursChampsIII
06-26-2005, 11:44 PM
Yes, currently they are better (duh)!!! Were you watching ballgames earlier in the season before the Pacers and the Pistons brawled it out? Did you see the score (as well as their record) before Ben Wallace became angry at Artest? Pistons were getting blown out at home by a really good Pacers team who, by the way, had the best record in the league at that time (even better than Phoenixs')......Mark my word, Indiana will be brawling it out with the Pistons for the Eastern conference championship next season, not MIAMI.....

Well, DUH, what are they going to do to make themselves better, DUH? I will mark your word because it won't mean shit when the time comes. As far as what the Pacers were doing to the Pistons when Wallace blew up...if you go by one game, then how did the Spurs win the championship if the Pistons beat them by 31 in Game 4? Bring some stronger stuff to the table next time, son.

HB22inSA
06-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Keep the big 4 and stay healthy, and I don't see a problem repeating.

Duncanoypi
06-27-2005, 03:43 AM
absolutely...YES! of course...

AI-square
06-27-2005, 04:02 AM
Wouldn't it suck ass if Indiana finally got it's shit together now that Reggie Miller has retired?

It definitely would. In fact, If Ron Artest hadn't gone bonkers in Detroit, goodness knows whether Indiana would have been the Spurs' opponent in the NBA Finals.

In the East, I like Indiana and Detroit. Miami will be there or thereabouts, but God please don't let them win the Eastern Conference.

In the West, Dallas and Phoenix will improve but unless both teams improve their D greatly, The Spurs look the best bet in the West.

I like the idea of Detroit v. San Antonio again. Not sure which team would come out on top, but it would be a heck of a series. What do you guys think?

Anyway, I voted yes.

jochhejaam
06-27-2005, 06:43 AM
Nice article. Thanks for posting it jochhejaam.

Always glad to assist classy fans of classy champs! :)

bigbendbruisebrother
06-27-2005, 04:27 PM
I think it's safe to say that everyone who was going to vote on this poll has voted.

So, here are the results.

88% voted yes (big surprise!):
50 & 21, Aggie Hoopsfan, AI-square, ALVAREZ6, ambchang, angievas, atlfan25, BadlyDrawnBoy, beirmeistr, bigbendbruisebrother, bigzak25, boutons, brom66an6, Calsonic, cherylsteele, cmc$purs, constantstate, conversekid, CrimsonSpur, dafonearth, Danyo, davi78239, DDS4, Dex, DoornicK, Drew2354, Duncan21, duncan_21, elpimpo4cc, emveepee, foodie2, Ginobili_20_gold_medalist, ginobili_is_god, Goddess Spur, GopherSA, HB22inSA, Horry For 3!, Ishta, Joaquin, JustSpurs, JUUOT, KewlKat00, manu got game, Manu'sMagicalLeftHand, Manu20, manubili, ManuLoco, MaNuMaNiA, Maribor Slovenia, mcornelio, MongoFan, Mr Dio, Mr. Body, NeoConIV, nkdlunch, NZHayden, ObiwanGinobili, OmEgA, Phil, PimpScourge, polandprzem, Rummpd, rwb, Sense, Shawn Michaels, shelshor, ShiFtY, shyne, silverandblackattack, SilverPlayer, slayermin, Slo spurs fan, Slomo, SpursChamps0399, spursfan20, spursfaninla, spursupporter, Spursy, spurs_fan_in_exile, superfedja, SuperSpur, td4mvp21, TDfan2007, TexasBalla1001, texbumTHElife, TimDuncanManu, timvp, TNT21, tsb2000, TwoHandJam, Vashner, Warlord23, wolves009 (wow), yaicu2

12% voted No:
BillsCarnage, desflood, jochhejaam, Kori Ellis, minusplus, Mr.Vas Deferns, NallhOnesTy, nzkickass, Pistons > Spurs, pooh, rascal, Spursdaone, tx3rdcoastborn

I take all of this with a grain of salt. I realize that the poll was bound to be lopsided given the audience and the timing.

As for the NO voters, I know why the members who are fans of other teams voted that way. I am curious as to why those of you who are Spurs fans voted No. What flaws or weaknesses do you see that you think might keep the Spurs from repeating as champs?