PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney Pays Extra Taxes For Fun Because He's So Patriotic

mavs>spurs
09-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Great fucking american :cry

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/8fc4288e-03f9-11e2-b91b-00144feabdc0.html#axzz27983PzmL

Romney releases tax return details
By Anna Fifield in Washington and Richard McGregor in Woodbridge, Virginia
©AFP
Mitt Romney has released details of 20 years’ worth of tax payments in an effort to rebut claims of secrecy over his personal income and steady his stuttering presidential bid after weeks of campaign mishaps.
The Republican presidential candidate also released his full tax return for 2011, which showed that he voluntarily paid more tax than required by reducing allowable deductions for charitable contributions.
The document drop came at the end of a week that also started with drama for the Republican challenger, who is slipping behind Barack Obama in the race for the White House.

Mr Romney was thrown off course on Monday by a leaked video showing him criticising poorer Americans as “victims”, while on Friday his wife’s campaign aeroplane was forced to make an emergency landing in Colorado after its cabin filled with smoke.
Mr Romney had previously refused to go beyond his promise to release two years of full tax returns, a limit which Mr Obama had used to portray him as rich and out of touch.
The Republican’s 2011 tax return showed that the candidate – and his wife, Ann – paid $1.9m in taxes on $13.7m in income, derived mostly from investments. That put their effective tax rate at 14.1 per cent, according to a blog post by Brad Malt, the trustee who manages Mr Romney’s wealth.
The Romneys donated $4m to charity last year, nearly 30 per cent of their income but claimed a tax deduction for only $2.25m of this, pushing the candidate’s effective tax rate higher.
“The Romneys’ generous charitable donations in 2011 would have significantly reduced their tax obligation for the year,” Mr Malt wrote.
Under questioning about his taxes this year, Mr Romney had said he would not be qualified to be president if he paid more taxes than were required.
“I don’t pay more than are legally due and frankly if I had paid more than are legally due, I don’t think I’d be qualified to become president,” he told ABC News in July.
Mr Romney pays a relatively low rate because most of his income comes in the form of dividends and capital gains, which are taxed at a lower rate then ordinary income.
After intense pressure from Democrats, the campaign also released a letter from PwC, the professional services firm, covering the Romneys’ tax filings from 1990 to 2009 and backing up the candidate’s claim on the campaign trail that he had never paid less than 13 per cent in tax. It said the Romneys’ average annual effective federal tax rate was 20.2 per cent over the 20-year period, with the lowest rate being 13.66 per cent.

Hey Boutons, when was the last time you sent in extra tax money to help out the big government you love so much?

CosmicCowboy
09-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Smart move actually. He was at 13.9% last year and everyone in the media rounded down to 13%. This year he doesn't claim all his charitable donations and hits 14.1%

Naturally the media will round down to 14% but it still sounds better.

If he wins, it's just a million or so lost. If he loses he can amend his tax return and get his money back.

I wish we had someone that smart as President.

CosmicCowboy
09-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Mr Romney pays a relatively low rate because most of his income comes in the form of dividends and capital gains, which are taxed at a lower rate then ordinary income.

This dumbass calls himself a reporter? Dividends are taxed as ordinary income.

baseline bum
09-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Smart move actually. He was at 13.9% last year and everyone in the media rounded down to 13%. This year he doesn't claim all his charitable donations and hits 14.1%

If he wins, it's just a million or so lost. If he loses he can amend his tax return and get his money back.

I don't know; Obama copying Romney's health plan so Romney couldn't come after him with it in the general election was pretty good thinking ahead, politically.

Latarian Milton
09-21-2012, 09:03 PM
guess he also gave up his salary as governor of massachusetts (like arnold). dude is such a rich ass with a net worth of 200m, he doesn't really care about salary or tax deduction which don't mean shit to him compared with his income & the donations he makes.

ploto
09-21-2012, 10:51 PM

I heard he would have paid 9% had he taken the full deduction for charity and no way was he going to do that.

mavs>spurs
09-21-2012, 10:52 PM
If i was rich I'd rather give to charities than the government too

Wild Cobra
09-21-2012, 10:52 PM
I don't know; Obama copying Romney's health plan so Romney couldn't come after him with it in the general election was pretty good thinking ahead, politically.
Only some of it is a copy, and just because it might work for one state doesn't mean it will work for all states.

Do you know what the 10th amendment is?

Clipper Nation
09-21-2012, 10:56 PM
So he just dodges taxes at Bain with various shell companies and shit.... he's still a tax cheat, tbh....

mavs>spurs
09-21-2012, 10:57 PM

liberals don't really like that pesky document

CosmicCowboy
09-21-2012, 11:04 PM
So he just dodges taxes at Bain with various shell companies and shit.... he's still a tax cheat, tbh....

:lmao

dumb motherfucker

You can be damn sure the IRS went through his return with a microscope.

He ain't cheating on his taxes.

baseline bum
09-21-2012, 11:49 PM
Only some of it is a copy, and just because it might work for one state doesn't mean it will work for all states.

LOL found constitutional even by a wingnut supreme court.

Wild Cobra
09-21-2012, 11:53 PM
LOL found constitutional even by a wingnut supreme court.
Sure, they found a constitutional loophole. Still, the intent of the 10th is violated. No American should be OK with that.

ElNono
09-22-2012, 12:20 AM
lol counselor Cobra

TDMVPDPOY
09-22-2012, 01:36 AM
fail

why dont u list the charitable organizatios he donated too? donating to political groups is also tax deductible, lets see the organizations he donated to that will stream back to him making them untaxable income....

Slomo
09-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Didn't he say in an interview some time ago that he paid exactly the taxes he was required to pay legally and that if he'd pay more he wouldn't be fit to be president?

boutons_deux
09-22-2012, 03:53 PM
"if he'd pay more he wouldn't be fit to be president"

yep. but somebody pointed out he will probably file an adjusted declaration and get that "over paid" tax money back, making the LIAR and felony tax evader fit to be president. :lol

Agloco
09-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Sure, they found a constitutional loophole. Still, the intent of the 10th is violated. No American should be OK with that.

It's too bad they didn't have you around to counsel them.

Edward
09-22-2012, 05:07 PM
This dumbass calls himself a reporter? Dividends are taxed as ordinary income.
Qualified dividends (which all of Romney's dividends would be) are taxed at the cap gains rate. Been the case for years now...

If you've been paying taxes on dividends at the ordinary rate all this time since Bush's tax cuts, you should feel really stupid.

Edward
09-22-2012, 05:11 PM
:lol people who call the mormon church "charity". He gave 10% of his income to clergymen who could use it to buy themselves a new car because he thinks it's what he needs to do in order to get into heaven.

ChumpDumper
09-22-2012, 07:37 PM
I don't know; Obama copying Romney's health plan so Romney couldn't come after him with it in the general election was pretty good thinking ahead, politically.Also, already being brown for Univision was a stroke of genius.

Borat Sagyidev
09-22-2012, 08:48 PM
If he loses he can amend his tax return and get his money back.

You consider that smart? Most with common sense, would call that corrupt/sneaky.

The man is involved with many multi-million dollar bankruptcies. I bet you consider him a successful businessman too.

Wild Cobra
09-23-2012, 02:27 AM
It's too bad they didn't have you around to counsel them.
What's bad is the way our elected official circumvent the constitutional intent for their rise in power.

boutons_deux
09-23-2012, 06:21 AM
"our elected official"

... only do as they are paid to by the corporate big donors. If they want to be (re-)elected, they have no other choice.

Wild Cobra Kai
09-23-2012, 10:07 AM

You think he won't do that, win or lose?