PDA

View Full Version : Pop vs. Jackson Article

swaggerjackson
09-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Didn't see it posted and thought you might wanna check it out.

http://dimemag.com/2012/09/phil-jackson-vs-gregg-popovich-the-only-real-way-to-decide-whos-better/

superbigtime
09-28-2012, 04:49 PM
When it comes to talent for mind-fucking your own team, Pop is the greatest of all time. I dislike Phil Jackson as much as the next Spurs fan, but I don't think PJ would have pissed away a 2-0 lead in the western conference finals. Spurs should have gotten past the Mavs in '06 too. It's obvious who is the better coach and has been for years. Pop has done great things with a small market team.

therealtruth
09-28-2012, 05:50 PM
When it comes to talent for mind-fucking your own team, Pop is the greatest of all time. I dislike Phil Jackson as much as the next Spurs fan, but I don't think PJ would have pissed away a 2-0 lead in the western conference finals. Spurs should have gotten past the Mavs in '06 too. It's obvious who is the better coach and has been for years. Pop has done great things with a small market team.

Exactly. Jackson I think was a ridiculous 49-0 when winning the first game of a playoff series. I think that says it all. Every time he had the better team and won the first game he made sure to finish it off.

Wild Cobra Kai
09-28-2012, 06:58 PM

You're right. Phil always was one for the bigger stage. He never coughed a WCFs lead of 2-0 , but he did in the Finals in 2004. lol.

Exactly. Jackson I think was a ridiculous 49-0 when winning the first game of a playoff series. I think that says it all. Every time he had the better team and won the first game he made sure to finish it off.

Wrong.

racm
09-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Phil Jackson always had a guy the league loved to shower with superstar calls. Give Pop MJ and/or Kobe and he still takes those games. :downspin:

JRHernandez88
09-29-2012, 01:23 AM
Phil Jackson always had a guy the league loved to shower with superstar calls. Give Pop MJ and/or Kobe and he still takes those games. :downspin:

:toast

superbigtime
09-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Well that is true, and who didn't enjoy seeing that Lakers squad beat by a Pistons team with chemistry and fortitude, but that Lakers team was all sorts of dysfunctional, while the 2011-12 Spurs team was clicking and fell apart. I doubt Pop could have won with that Lakers team either.

ambchang
09-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Jackson is better with managing divas, better at working the refs, and making sure the lead dog gets its share.

Pop is better at X&Os, developing talent, and making the guys fall in line.

It really depends on what type of team you have, I don't believe Pop would have been successful with those Bulls and Lakers team (maybe the late 00s Lakers could have been successful to a degree), and I doubt Jackson would have been successful with the Spurs.

callo1
09-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Jackson is better with managing divas, better at working the refs, and making sure the lead dog gets its share.

Working the refs is easy when you coach a big market team.

Pop manages divas well...he doesn't let them on the team, or if they slip by, he moves them.

lefty
09-29-2012, 07:26 PM
FUcking homers, PJ is better than Pop

Deal with it

spurraider21
09-29-2012, 08:14 PM
PJ won 6 rings with the best player in NBA history and the Shaq-Kobe talent wise was the best 1-2 punch by far. It's like having Lebron and wade... But Shaq was more unguardable. Look at the spurs 03 roster. Prime Timmy was an absolute monster, but soon to retire admiral, rookie manu, sophomore tony, jax, Claxton, Malik rose, bowen, Kevin Willis... Hardly an overwhelming group

racm
09-29-2012, 09:50 PM
PJ won 6 rings with the best player in NBA history and the Shaq-Kobe talent wise was the best 1-2 punch by far. It's like having Lebron and wade... But Shaq was more unguardable. Look at the spurs 03 roster. Prime Timmy was an absolute monster, but soon to retire admiral, rookie manu, sophomore tony, jax, Claxton, Malik rose, bowen, Kevin Willis... Hardly an overwhelming group

Phil always had two above-average players in his title years (MJ/Pippen for the Bulls, then Shaq/Kobe then Kobe/Pau).

lefty
09-29-2012, 11:02 PM
Yeah I mean winning 4 titles without having Kobe/Shaq and Pip/MJ is pretty impressive

But you have to pretty braindead to stick with Bonner in the playoffs, and KFC is not

And those lineups vs OKC in game 5 of the WCF ........ :lmao

racm
09-29-2012, 11:27 PM
I'm sure Pop only brings out Bonner because he loves stretch 4s and Horry has been retired for so long. :depressed

lefty
09-29-2012, 11:30 PM
I miss Horry :cry

therealtruth
09-30-2012, 12:07 AM
Yeah I mean winning 4 titles without having Kobe/Shaq and Pip/MJ is pretty impressive

But you have to pretty braindead to stick with Bonner in the playoffs, and KFC is not

And those lineups vs OKC in game 5 of the WCF ........ :lmao

This basically sums it up. I don't think I have watched Phil Jackson coach and questioned what he was doing as much as I have with Pop. Game 5 is a prime example. You always saw a tactical and rational reasoning behind PJ's actions. Not the same with Pop. It's about putting your team in the best position to win and playing Bonner in crucial playoff games doesn't do that.