PDA

View Full Version : Do the Baltimore Ravens have a high-powered offense?

Ryan Fitzpatrick
09-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Since I live back in Ravens/Redskins country now, I get their local games and 24/7 B-more coverage. For the longest time I hated getting stuck with the Ravens games at 1:00, b/c it meant a 17-13 kind of game every week--filled with great defense and offensive ineptitude.

Lately however, Ozzie Newsome--who is near-flawless in his defensive selections--has been hitting the jackpot on the offensive side of the ball, both through draft and FA. I know I'm jumping the gun on a couple of these moves, but I feel it's warranted when you ultimately see the finished product.

In 2008 they drafted Joe Flacco and Ray Rice--their franchise backfield. RR is easily a Top-3 RB in this league, while Flacco has improved immensely. Ever since the playoff game @Pitt in 2010, he's been damn impressive, playing within himself while still leading his team to big wins against good teams.

There was a flashback-Flacco moment in Week 2 @Philly when he overthrew the checkdown on 3rd and short, but he should get a break for that one...especially since 3 minutes earlier he threw a perfectly thrown 30-something yd TD to Jacoby Jones to make the score 27-17--only to see an egregiously horrible OPI call negate the play. If the regular refs are in the game, that play effectively seals the win for Baltimore.

In 2009 they got Anquan Boldin, which is a great #2-3 option, but was forced into a #1 role b/c the best they had to offer was Derrick Mason.

In 2010 (or '11?) they got the best fullback in the game in Vonta Leach from Houston. The position has largely become phased out in today's NFL, but Baltimore uses him with great effectiveness in their run packages. It was this year (2010) where they drafted Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson as well. Dickson has promise, but his stone hands stall the offense from time-to-time. Pitta is quietly but quickly becoming one of the better TE's in the game.

In 2011 they got the player who changed the face of their offense for good, when they drafted world-class burner Torrey Smith at WR. He's the home-run hitter they've been needing for years.

In 2012 they added Texans cast-off Jacoby Jones, who was unbelievably awful in Houston but has inexplicably done a 180 and caught everything thrown his way in Baltimore.

It's a shame a complete idiot like Cam Cameron is in charge of this offense, b/c they have amazing potential, imo.

Is B-more's offense legit? Y or N?

Trainwreck2100
09-26-2012, 11:24 PM
don't forget dennis pitta, woulda been the bane of you existence if the stupid Pack oline didn't shit the fucking bed.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
09-26-2012, 11:25 PM
I mentioned Pitta under the 2010 part. However, I think Leach may have been added in 2011 though, now that I think of it.

J.T.
09-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Leach was definitely added in 2011 because he played a major role in the 290ish yards Foster accrued in 2010's Go To The Dagobah System game vs Indy.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
09-26-2012, 11:37 PM
You're right...twas a mix-up. Either way, Baltimore's record is ridiculous when RR gets 20 touches. It's that retard Cam Cameron who tries to get too cute with the offense before establishig the run. When they establish RR early in the game--regardless of how many yards he gains--the offense then becomes infinitely more dangerous, imo.

A poorer version of this is the Buffalo Bills and Chan Gailey, who feel the need to go with 4 and 5 WR sets and chuck the ball around to scrubs, before establishing Spiller and/or Freddie.

benefactor
09-27-2012, 06:53 AM
Give it time. The real Jacoby will show up soon enough.

JoeTait75
09-27-2012, 08:45 AM
They're going to have a high-powered offense tonight, that's for sure.

IronMexican
09-27-2012, 08:53 AM
I can imagine a 7-3 final score with both QB's combining for 7 picks. Ravens win, though