PDA

View Full Version : Leonard's Sophomore Season

xellos88330
09-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Is anyone else expecting him to have a fantastic season?

After watching the summer league games, the man was a beast. He showed the ability to create his shot in one on one situations and should he miss, he was right there for the rebound. I can't wait to watch the kid play.

DesignatedT
09-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Is anyone else expecting him to have a fantastic season?

Yes, everybody.

BoricuaCJA
09-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Yes, everybody.

dunkman
09-27-2012, 08:20 PM
His progressing will be key for the Spurs to have chances at the 'ship. But the Spurs also need Splitter to be a factor, Pop has dropped the ball there tbh.

Andthentherewas21
09-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Not to be a downer, but I'm not sure he'll get the opportunity to do much more than he did last season. Don't get me wrong, Leonard deserves more touches to show what he can do, especially given how he performed last season and during the summer league.

But this is still the Big 3's team, so there go lets say 60% of the touches. Then you've got Splitter, Sjax, Blair, all in contract years (so chances are they will be more inclined to demand the ball or try to do more than they should once they have it). Bonner is going to get his opportunities whether Spurs fans like it or not. Then you've got Patty Mills who is more effective when he looks to score, and is shoot-first anyways.

Not sure that opens up many opportunities beyond what he got (or made for himself) last season. Again, he deserves the chance but I don't know if he actually gets it.

ALVAREZ6
09-27-2012, 08:53 PM
He will have a strong year, probably similar to last years. Leonard was very good as a rookie and players typically improve a lot in their 2nd year, but Leonard's main strengths are on defense and he isn't really an offensively explosive player, so statistics shouldn't be too different. He's not a natural scorer. I don't see how this season can go that much better for him compared to last year.

freetiago
09-27-2012, 09:05 PM
if popovich decides to take the players of his teets and let them play leonard can be a double double guy
almost every playoff game he played huge minutes (34+) he had double digit rebounds
if he gets any plays called for him he should be able to score a little more and just getting more opportunities from playing longer

Russo21
09-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Mvp mvp

justinandimcool
09-27-2012, 10:20 PM
all depends on overprotective daddy Pop

DesignatedT
09-27-2012, 10:24 PM
I don't think Pop could have handled Leonard any better than he did last season tbqh.

MR.SILVER&BLack
09-27-2012, 10:31 PM
well Leonard has 7 pre season games to show pop that hes ready to take on a bigger scoring role & leadership role. crossing my fingers that hes able to take that next step & put up Batum or Gerald Wallace type production on offense.

DesignatedT
09-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Judging by the way Pop was talking about him in his last mailbag, he sure seems just as high on Kawhi as all of us.

Hooks
09-27-2012, 11:04 PM
I expect him to average around 14+ PPG this year, I have a feeling Pop will use him on offense much much more drawing up plays for him. He should average at least 30-35MPG.

Having the whole summer to improve as well as having his 1st full training camp will really help his development.

On a bad team I really think he could've averaged 18 PPG his rookie season, especially after seeing his performance against the Trail Blazers when Pop sat everybody, Leonard really stepped up his game putting up 24pts on 9-14 shooting, 10 Rebounds and 5 steals.

Spur|n|Austin
09-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Having the whole summer to improve as well as having his 1st full training camp will really help his development.

This will have a huge impact; hopes are high.

TE
09-28-2012, 12:18 AM
You fucks are jinxing him.

therealtruth
09-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Not to be a downer, but I'm not sure he'll get the opportunity to do much more than he did last season. Don't get me wrong, Leonard deserves more touches to show what he can do, especially given how he performed last season and during the summer league.

But this is still the Big 3's team, so there go lets say 60% of the touches. Then you've got Splitter, Sjax, Blair, all in contract years (so chances are they will be more inclined to demand the ball or try to do more than they should once they have it). Bonner is going to get his opportunities whether Spurs fans like it or not. Then you've got Patty Mills who is more effective when he looks to score, and is shoot-first anyways.

Not sure that opens up many opportunities beyond what he got (or made for himself) last season. Again, he deserves the chance but I don't know if he actually gets it.

The team needs a new big 3. Ginobili and Duncan should be more support players. I think Kawhi can step into that big 3 role. Maybe the other guy is Diaw.

dbestpro
09-28-2012, 08:32 AM

He will be MVP.

- double blind reverse jinx.

The_Worlds_finest
09-28-2012, 08:32 AM
His progressing will be key for the Spurs to have chances at the 'ship. But the Spurs also need Splitter to be a factor, Pop has dropped the ball there tbh.

For being a Canadian you summed it up pretty well. However, I feel the requirements would be to make it to the wcf.

Mhak
09-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Hopefully he does not have a second year slump. No JINX here. I wish the kid well. Giving time and opportunity, he will shine!

elemento
09-28-2012, 05:18 PM
He won't have a break-out year as long as the BIG 3 is still there.

I expect a very similar year to his rookie season.

therealtruth
09-28-2012, 05:46 PM
No jinx needed. He works hard enough to get rewarded.

hooperflash
09-28-2012, 07:15 PM

You shoot bricks, my friend.

cd98
09-28-2012, 07:18 PM
He'll be better than average because he is on a team of veterans that love to pass. But he won't be all star caliber, just solid.

racm
09-28-2012, 07:24 PM
He'll be better than average because he is on a team of veterans that love to pass. But he won't be all star caliber, just solid.

Agreed... he'll break out the season after.

Pop should still play him more than 24 mpg, tbh.

SpurNation
09-29-2012, 07:08 AM
Looking forward to what he will do. Surprising was his offense fared better than his defense his rookie season when it was his expected defense that was the focus. If he improves on defense and remains par on his offense from last season...I'll consider that a great improvement. But wouldn't be surprised if his offense improves as well.

racm
09-29-2012, 07:36 AM
Looking forward to what he will do. Surprising was his offense fared better than his defense his rookie season when it was his expected defense that was the focus. If he improves on defense and remains par on his offense from last season...I'll consider that a great improvement. But wouldn't be surprised if his offense improves as well.

Pretty much this. Team defense might be his best area of improvement left.

spurraider21
09-29-2012, 10:39 AM
For our team to stand a chance this year, as much as Duncan/Manu decline, we need the young guns to improve and make up for that drop off. Tiago, Kawhi, Green, Mills, etc

polandprzem
09-29-2012, 11:43 AM
3rd all-nba :)

JRHernandez88
09-29-2012, 04:36 PM
Cant wait to see his improvements... hes definately my favorite right now after Ginooo... just because he keeps that spot until retirement lol