PDA

View Full Version : NBA: NBA close to establishing policy on flopping

irishock
09-27-2012, 06:45 PM
The NBA is close to finalizing a flopping policy.

Flopping has long been a criticized aspect of the game, especially over the past decade.

Flops will not have an in-game penalty, but will be reviewed after the face with a possible fine.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/223704/NBA_Close_To_Establishing_Policy_On_Flopping#ixzz2 7iVY0jFh

No in-game penalty? Wtf. Just call technicals as the penalty, don't even care about the fines since flopping might have already decided the outcome of the match.

dylankerouac
09-27-2012, 07:20 PM
don't even care about the fines since flopping might have already decided the outcome of the match.

Agreed.

LkrFan
09-27-2012, 07:40 PM
When is Manu's retirement ceremony? :lol

monosylab1k
09-27-2012, 07:41 PM
You can't penalize flopping in game because many times you need a replay to notice true flops. What may look like a flop could be legit, and vice versa. To review all potential flops would take too much time. Player bitching would increase exponentially too.

But a fine is still way way way too weak a penalty. Potential flops should ve reviewed by the league and penalized with either a technical foul after the game, or some kind of point system where a certain number of flops accumulated gets you a suspension.

monosylab1k
09-27-2012, 07:43 PM

:lol

Kirilenko might as well stay in Europe too.

Bill_Brasky
09-27-2012, 07:44 PM

At least he got to have a full career....Harden is gonna be so mad.

LkrFan
09-27-2012, 07:45 PM

Kirilenko might as well stay in Europe too.

:rollin:lmao:rollin

LkrFan
09-27-2012, 07:45 PM

Best :rollin Thread :lmao Ever! :rollin

irishock
09-27-2012, 07:50 PM
You can't penalize flopping in game because many times you need a replay to notice true flops. What may look like a flop could be legit, and vice versa. To review all potential flops would take too much time. Player bitching would increase exponentially too.

But a fine is still way way way too weak a penalty. Potential flops should ve reviewed by the league and penalized with either a technical foul after the game, or some kind of point system where a certain number of flops accumulated gets you a suspension.

The bad flops should be called for technicals. Right now there is no call when a player badly flops.

monosylab1k
09-27-2012, 08:06 PM
The bad flops should be called for technicals. Right now there is no call when a player badly flops.

I agree but the problem is the refs. They do a shitty enough job as it is, do you really want this task put on them too?

What if a really bad flop happens and it's missed? Then that team loses by a point and suddenly everyone's bitching. What if they call a flop and replay shows he was pushed in the back? More bitching.

I'd love in-game punishment for flopping, but it would create more chaos than good. Plus it would give corrupt officials even more opportunities to influence the outcome of games.

monosylab1k
09-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Although the look on Chris Paul's face after getting called for a flop would be incredible to see :lol

Clipper Nation
09-27-2012, 08:18 PM
It's actually going to be a joint retirement ceremony with Pau Gasol, tbh... :hat

Clipper Nation
09-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Flop So Harden's career just got ethered, tbh...

Venti Quattro
09-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Flop So Harden's career just got ethered, tbh...

:lol says the guy who is rooting for Chris Paul and Blake Griffin

Clipper Nation
09-27-2012, 08:26 PM
:lol says the guy who is rooting for Chris Paul and Blake Griffin
:lol And you're rooting for Pau Gasol and Food Stamps Bryant

Venti Quattro
09-27-2012, 08:30 PM
:lol And you're rooting for Pau Gasol and Food Stamps Bryant

Hey, I'm rooting for a 5x and 2x champion respectively. You're rooting for guys whose careers are going to be forever altered by the new flopping rules. :lmao

Brazil
09-27-2012, 08:31 PM

Clipper Nation
09-27-2012, 08:39 PM
You're rooting for guys whose careers are going to be forever altered by the new flopping rules. :lmao
I'm not rooting for Flop So Harden and D-Whistle, tbh....

ElNono
09-27-2012, 08:43 PM
When are they establishing policy on ref fuckups? Fucking Nazi commish won't even allow comments...

Venti Quattro
09-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Fucking Nazi commish won't even allow comments...
that's such a sweet comment for a Jewish commissioner :lol

Bynumite
09-27-2012, 08:46 PM
The CP3 Rules :lol

whitemamba
09-27-2012, 09:09 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1106098/paulf.gif

irishock
09-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Flopping (at least the bad ones) treatment should be

1.Immediate technical
2.Ref swallowing their whistles the next time you actually get fouled
3.Fine after the game

We also need the play challenge system bad. Maybe 2 a game per team. Can challenge the split-second decision fouls (charge/block, goaltending, flops)

LkrFan
09-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Hey, I'm rooting for a 5x and 2x champion respectively. You're rooting for guys whose careers are going to be forever altered by the new flopping rules. :lmao

:rollin:lmao:rollin

Venti Quattro
09-27-2012, 09:27 PM
We also need the play challenge system bad. Maybe 2 a game per team. Can challenge the split-second decision fouls (charge/block, goaltending, flops)

You have challenges in the last two minutes of the game. I think that's enough for now. It took years for flopping rules to develop, I'm sure it will be the same for your proposal.

whitemamba
09-27-2012, 09:31 PM
refs should study clipper highlights to learn what a flop looks like if they want to master the call

LkrFan
09-27-2012, 09:32 PM

Latarian Milton
09-27-2012, 09:44 PM

agree its not even feasible to check the replay every time a foul is called. it'd prolong the game to the length of a baseball and im not sure if most attendees can sit in an enclosed gym that long tbh.

they should remove all the refs and let them niggas play the way streetball is played, no more flops or freebies which have been the sickest parts of the game, just have a group of security guards standing by to make an intervention in the event a brawl should break out

Venti Quattro
09-27-2012, 09:49 PM

ev1M1AYQR3s

lmao

whitemamba
09-27-2012, 09:52 PM
ev1M1AYQR3s

lmao

:rollin

irishock
09-27-2012, 09:53 PM
You have challenges in the last two minutes of the game. I think that's enough for now. It took years for flopping rules to develop, I'm sure it will be the same for your proposal.

No. There's no challenge for Charge/Block/Goaltending calls. Only 3pt shots and buzzer beaters are reviewable.

LkrFan
09-27-2012, 10:33 PM
ev1M1AYQR3s

lmao

Damn you VQ! You trying to get me fired? This some funny shit ret dere!! :rollin :lmao :rollin

Kai
09-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Now I know why we amnestied Scola.

venky
09-27-2012, 11:15 PM
The Clippers are fucked.

Clipper Nation
09-28-2012, 07:38 AM
RjRizobEQig

NKuKCst6wms

irishock
09-28-2012, 08:07 AM
RjRizobEQig

NKuKCst6wms

If we embed clipper flops into one post, it'd take longer to scroll down than the championship drought from the 2nd team in LA.

LkrFan
09-28-2012, 08:20 AM
RjRizobEQig

NKuKCst6wms

Pau: 2
CP: :lol

Venti Quattro
09-28-2012, 09:25 AM
I hope they have rules for when a flop swings a game into the flopping team's favor. This flopping crackdown will be useless if they don't account for that.

Venti Quattro
09-28-2012, 09:37 AM
The Clippers are a bunch of disgusting flopping cheats.

fvQM5VYJokw

tFj_aDUbscA

2EVPzbkpgQs

whitemamba
09-28-2012, 09:40 AM
The Clippers are a bunch of disgusting flopping cheats.

fvQM5VYJokw

tFj_aDUbscA

2EVPzbkpgQs

:lolclippernation

jeebus
09-28-2012, 09:48 AM
The NBA is close to finalizing a flopping policy.

There are players crying in the locker room right now.

whitemamba
09-28-2012, 09:52 AM
ur avatar, and quote under it are very insulting... all jokes aside, dont spew hate directed to any religion or race.. no positive outcome

Venti Quattro
09-28-2012, 09:53 AM
ur avatar, and quote under it are very insulting... all jokes aside, dont spew hate directed to any religion or race.. no positive outcome

http://i47.tinypic.com/9b9l43.png

whitemamba
09-28-2012, 09:54 AM

omg, im at a public place and im sure everyone saw that :lmao

racm
09-28-2012, 10:00 AM

:lol:lmao:rollin:lmao:lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ247wtv8hU

tp2021
09-28-2012, 12:23 PM

You're using the word "respectively" wrong. It's the exact opposite of how you used it.

leemajors
09-28-2012, 12:32 PM

this. impossible to police while game in progress.

jeebus
09-28-2012, 01:52 PM
venti with the goods. :lol

and whitemamba, I really don't care. that's one of the great things about being me.

Killakobe81
09-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Clips, Spurs and OkC will be impacted heavily plus whomever signs Dfish

And though I hate flopping can't flame Manu, Paul, Blake, Boozer, and The beard for taking. Advantage that is on Stern and the refs.

DPG21920
09-28-2012, 03:31 PM
venti with the goods. :lol

and whitemamba, I really don't care. that's one of the great things about being me.

:lmao you don't care when you are anonymous behind a computer screen. What a bad ass.

I'm sure you walk around in real life spouting off about religion in public and carrying around swastikas. :lol you

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-28-2012, 03:45 PM
They've been paying lip service for years about how they were going to crack down on it through in game measures, and if they ever bothered to follow through with it that would be fine. The problem was by the time they started even thinking to act on it flopping had gone from something done by crafty TOSB vets and Euro players to something that the league's star players were doing left and right (and getting rewarded for).

Now if they were to give the refs some instructions or points of emphasis or whatever to guide how they call the game that's well enough. I don't like the idea of the league having the power to go back and assess these penalties after the fact, particularly since this won't solve much of anything. It's not going to magically put a player back on the floor in the game when his 3rd foul comes on a charge call. And is there going to be an oversight committee to fine the refs when they review equally terrible no-calls on obvious fouls? Because that's half the reason that guys flop in the first place.

Chris Fall
09-28-2012, 03:56 PM
good there's no place in the game for cheaters and floppers

LkrFan
09-28-2012, 03:58 PM
good there's no place in the game for cheaters and floppers

:lmao

ohmwrecker
09-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Uh . . . Manu doesn't flop.

LkrFan
09-28-2012, 05:05 PM

:rollin

LkrFan
10-01-2012, 05:07 AM
If they stop the flopping we'll see Kobe locking it down. Just ask AI:

ZyLg15UIRLY&sns=em

:downspin:

racm
10-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Tbh, I don't see the need for superstars to flop given the officials' preferential treatment.

Sportstudi
10-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Although the look on Chris Paul's face after getting called for a flop would be incredible to see :lol

This one? :lol

http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/chris-paul.jpg

LkrFan
10-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Just in case Bin Harden doesn't get the memo, a painful reminder:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2xrxvWP5x1rtxen9o1_400.gif

jeebus
10-01-2012, 06:19 PM
What's :lol is that most of the nation cheered when RonRon did that

Venti Quattro
10-04-2012, 04:08 AM
Clippers react to NBA's anti-flopping rule (http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/clippers/post/_/id/2612/clippers-react-to-nbas-anti-flopping-rule)

LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin simply smiled Wednesday when asked about the new anti-flopping penalties in the NBA this season.

"It's a good way for the NBA to get more money," Griffin said.

The new rules, announced Wednesday by the league, state players will get a warning the first offense, and will then be fined $5,000 for a second violation. The fines increase to $10,000 for a third offense, $15,000 for a fourth and $30,000 for the fifth time. Six or more could lead to a suspension.

"I guess it's good in the sense that it stops any of that from happening but at the same time you're telling me if it's Game 7 of the NBA Finals and a guy has a chance to make a play, he's going to be like, 'Well, do I want this $10,000 or do I want a championship?' Do you know what I mean?" Griffin said. "It's one of those things that's after the fact and not going to win or lose games for anybody."

Griffin has been one of the more high-profile players in the league accused of flopping by opponents but didn't think the rule necessarily applied to him or the Clippers. He was still unsure how it would affect games next season with the punishments coming after the games are over.

"It's good in a sense that it'll cut down on [flopping] but the whole idea of that is to not have it affect the way the game is going," Griffin said. "And as of now it has no affect on it."

Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro said he and other NBA coaches talked about a possible flopping rule during meetings a couple of weeks ago in Chicago but was still unsure how it would change the game.

"It's going to be interesting to see how they view that from a league perspective," Del Negro said. "It's a rule and we're going to have to abide by that. If that's what the commissioner wants to do and the competition committee wants to do, we'll adhere to it. We're going to discuss that a little bit more later [with the team]. The rule came out today and we just played in a scrimmage so we'll talk about it. I don't really see any of our guys having issues with it, per se. It's going to be a feeling-out process for everybody, in terms of how you're going to handle certain things."

Del Negro felt today's players are perhaps more scrutinized when it comes to flopping than in the past because of enhanced technology.

"I just think there's more cameras, more HD, there's social media networks and everything," Del Negro said. "There's just so much more coverage on things that it gets exposed a little bit more."

When Clippers forward Caron Butler was told about the rule, he said he hadn't heard about it before but thought it would be a good thing for the league.

"I don't think we have a flopping problem on this team," Butler said. "I don't watch a lot of other teams and I didn't have the luxury of watching other teams last year with the condensed schedule but over the years you see some calls and some plays that you say, 'He sold it.' If they got (a new rule) in place, it's probably better for the game."

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

AussieFanKurt
10-04-2012, 04:18 AM

trollin'

AussieFanKurt
10-04-2012, 04:19 AM
"I don't think we have a flopping problem on this team," Butler said. "I don't watch a lot of other teams and I didn't have the luxury of watching other teams last year with the condensed schedule but over the years you see some calls and some plays that you say, 'He sold it.' If they got (a new rule) in place, it's probably better for the game."

Tap Dat Ass!
10-04-2012, 09:49 AM
flop on this...

ohmwrecker
10-04-2012, 03:58 PM
trollin'

Legit fouls and charges, tbh.