PDA

View Full Version : Looper

monosylab1k
09-29-2012, 12:34 PM
surprised there wasn't already a thread about this movie. Really cool idea and done almost perfectly. The first 2/3's of the movie are incredible, after that it gets a little lost and overly sentimental, and the ending won't blow you away. But this is a really cool little sci-fi flick.

GoodOdor
09-29-2012, 03:24 PM
How believable Levitt is as young Willis?

monosylab1k
09-29-2012, 06:08 PM
He gets enough of Bruce's voice and mannerisms to be believable, but not distracting. The makeup/prosthetics aren't great, but it doesn't look so bad that it distracts from the story.

GoodOdor
09-29-2012, 06:51 PM
He gets enough of Bruce's voice and mannerisms to be believable, but not distracting. The makeup/prosthetics aren't great, but it doesn't look so bad that it distracts from the story.

Excellent, that was my one possible problem with the movie.. Otherwise, it looks pretty good(91% on rotten tomatoes).

Proxy
09-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Does it focus on the time travel or is it mainly an action flick?

monosylab1k
09-29-2012, 08:55 PM
It's a good mix of both, but there really isn't a lot of time traveling in the movie.

Reck
09-29-2012, 09:27 PM
I cant take Levvit seriously. He's always been kind of a backseat actor.

Does he carries himself well on his own or does he depend on other characters as usual?

BRHornet45
09-30-2012, 12:50 AM
Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a good actor. nothing more, nothing less. however it is a bit annoying how many people (particularly the under 30 crowd) are hyping this guy up to be the greatest young actor out there. he did a great job in 50/50 and has been solid in some roles, but for every good role he takes he then shits the bed in other roles. his film selection is also very poor as well.

Levitt falls into the Shia LaBeouf category for me ... just less douchebag

CitizenDwayne
09-30-2012, 01:04 AM
Comparing Gordon-Levitt to Ladouche is a major insult.

Mysterious Skin, Brick, The Lookout, Inception, The Dark Knight Rises, 50/50, and now this...what does Shia have that can compare?

redzero
09-30-2012, 01:11 AM
Hesher was good, too.

howbouthemspurs
09-30-2012, 01:39 AM
Looper was a great movie! My wife and I loved it! It's definitely a movie that will keep you thinking! Willis was awesome as usual and Levitt was very believable as a young Willis! The acting was great, the script was great and that little kid stole the show! 9/10 for me.

IronMexican
10-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Movie was pretty cash. I didn't like the ending all that much, but it could have been worse.

DPG21920
10-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Just got done seeing this - really, really good movie. BR wrong as usual about actors. JGL has done a lot of really solid roles.

mavs>spurs
10-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Just got done seeing this - really, really good movie. BR wrong as usual about actors. JGL has done a lot of really solid roles.

Did you ever go watch V/H/S brah

DPG21920
10-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Not yet, want to though.

mavs>spurs
10-06-2012, 02:42 PM
it's pretty creepy, don't want you to have nightmares about a certain big bad injun in your closet i saidddd

not corny or lame like the other "found footage" genre movies..definitely bizarre and disturbing to say the least.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
10-06-2012, 02:58 PM
definitely bizarre and disturbing to say the least.

Describes you to a T, tbh.

mavs>spurs
10-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Yup that's probably why I enjoyed the movie so much

Proxy
10-06-2012, 05:55 PM
JGL hasn't proven himself to be anything more than a good supporting actor. Nolan cum guzzlers will say otherwise.

redzero
10-06-2012, 05:57 PM
JGL played supporting roles in Nolan movies, so why would anybody use them to show that he is a capable leading man?

leemajors
10-06-2012, 10:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkJu5VX972M&feature=player_embedded

redzero
10-14-2012, 10:10 PM
-SPOILERS-

Was suicide really the best option? When Young Joe realized that a cycle of revenge would be created, I thought Old Joe would, too, but nope, Blunderbuss to the chest.

monosylab1k
10-14-2012, 10:43 PM
-SPOILERS-

Was suicide really the best option? When Young Joe realized that a cycle of revenge would be created, I thought Old Joe would, too, but nope, Blunderbuss to the chest.

I was thinking the same thing, but that's probably not as dramatic for an audience to see.

My only problem was the cliche "precocious child with issues" storyline. I understand why it's in there but it made the 2nd half of the film less focused and a bit cheesy, especially the "it's okay, i love you" moment at the end.

Blake
10-14-2012, 11:02 PM
I was thinking the same thing, but that's probably not as dramatic for an audience to see.

I was wondering why blowing his shooting fingers/hand off was not an option.

redzero
10-14-2012, 11:03 PM
I was wondering why blowing his shooting fingers/hand off was not an option.

That's what I was thinking, too.

The movie is also one big causal loop, too. The Rainmaker was brought into existence because Old Joe was trying to eliminate him from existing.

BRHornet45
10-15-2012, 12:17 AM
JGL hasn't proven himself to be anything more than a good supporting actor. Nolan cum guzzlers will say otherwise.

exactly.

look I'm not a JGL hater. I think he is a damn good actor. I am a hater of the idiots who are trying to hype this guy up as the next De Niro. those same people will give him credit for roles like The Dark Knight Rises and Inception as if he was the leading man or was the reason those movies were good when in reality he had small supporting roles in them. they will do the same for the movie "Lincoln" coming up because once again he will have a small supporting role in a huge blockbuster film. Levitt knocked it out of the park with 50/50, but other than that he's yet to prove anything.

BRHornet45
10-15-2012, 12:26 AM
JGL played supporting roles in Nolan movies, so why would anybody use them to show that he is a capable leading man?

JGL's one of those actors who will take nearly any role thrown at him and its hard to respect actors like that. now keep in mind that I am arguing against those who claim this guy is the best young actor out there so that is why I say this. if he were a struggling actor or comedy actor, etc. then I wouldn't blame him for taking any paycheck that comes his way, but that's not the case. he will be in 4 movies this year, he was in 5 in 2010, 5 again in 2009, etc. .... now for those who are hugging this guys nuts .... when was the last time you saw any legit actor take on that many supporting roles? that's a big part of being a respectable actor in being selective of what roles you take and by how many films you do per year, etc.

to put that into perspective and to compare him to one of the LEGIT best actors out there in Leonardo DiCaprio ... since 2009 (in the last 4 years and counting the films to be released by the end of this year) ...

Joseph Gordon-Levitt has been in 15 movies

Leonardo DiCaprio has been in 4 movies

Latarian Milton
10-15-2012, 12:48 AM
the dark knight rises together with its prequel- the dark knight (08) featured the worst batman the world has ever seen and would probably make bruce wayne kill himself if he really existed. in the 08 movie for example, heath ledger looked more like the leading role and the batman's performance looked just as fake as the plastic muscles behind his batman suit, completely overshadowed by the joker imho. didn't see the 12' film but it ain't much better i suppose, and i wouldn't even know this movie but for the denver shootout