PDA

View Full Version : Starting lineup...

ElNono
09-29-2012, 08:35 PM
So, I was just starting a new season in 2K13 and the starting lineup is:

Tony, Manu, Jack, Blair, Tim

So that got me thinking... Diaw would be probably better to start, but then I'm thinking if you want to keep Blair motivated, starting him is probably the way to go. What do you guys see as the starting lineup?

ginobilized
09-29-2012, 08:49 PM
The starters for game 6 of the Western Conference Finals sound like a safe bet given Pop's tendencies. Maybe Green cracks the starting lineup for Manu?

Tim Duncan, C
Kawhi Leonard, SF
Boris Diaw, PF
Tony Parker, PG
Manu Ginobili, SG

Proxy
09-29-2012, 08:50 PM
same starters as last year's playoffs is what I'd expect Pop to go with opening night. It would be cool to start Blair and have him motivated like you said so he looks as good as possible on the trading block.

baseline bum
09-29-2012, 09:39 PM
I would put Manu on the bench, as Tony kills in 2k and should have the ball in his hand every possession. Then play Manu when Parker is on the bench. Blair vs Diaw is meaningless in the game, since you usually want to isolate Tony at the top of the key or run a screen for him with Duncan. Then when Parker is resting you can run the play where Manu runs under the basket and then curls to the weakside elbow for the easy open jumper or drive into the lane with a left-hand finish. No reason to run that in the starting lineup though when a quick Parker crossover can always shake the CPU defender enough to open up a lane to the basket.

timtonymanu
09-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Keep the same starting lineup we had for most of the playoffs. Parker, Green, Leonard, Diaw, Duncan.

I don't think Blair should start again. No need to get his hopes up for the 3rd straight season and then bench him midseason again. I do think, in order to keep his stock up, that he should be the back-up PF (in Bonner's spot) to give him some playing time. Then again, I'm just hoping someone replaces Bonner.

baseline bum
09-29-2012, 09:43 PM
BTW, should I submit a bug report to 2k Sports that I can win the title with a PG as my best player?

racm
09-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Derrick Brown should take Bonner's spot, tbh.

IIRC Manu started at the beginning of the 2006-07 season but returned to sixth man status by midseason. I think he should start at the beginning of the season or in tougher stretches but reduce his minutes as the season progresses.

It's also worth noting that in both years he was a full-time starter, the Spurs got off to amazing season starts.

racm
09-29-2012, 09:47 PM
BTW, should I submit a bug report to 2k Sports that I can win the title with a PG as my best player?

Nah, you should send that to Stern... :toast

ElNono
09-29-2012, 10:21 PM

Don't do anything. Played two games and Bonner hasn't played a minute... :tu

lefty
09-29-2012, 11:00 PM
PG - Mike Conley
SG - Manu
SF - Leonard
PF - Tim
C - whatever

ElNono
09-29-2012, 11:07 PM
De Colo seems to be glued to the bench... probably until the annual Manu injury.... there was a Joseph sighting though

DesignatedT
09-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Tony
Danny
Kawhi
Boris
Tim

Gary/Patty
Manu
Stak5
Kenyon
Tiago

Trade Blair
Kill Bonner
Pick up Martin

ElNono
09-30-2012, 12:00 AM
nvm

therealtruth
09-30-2012, 12:45 AM
I think Green should start over Manu for defensive purposes.

baseline bum
09-30-2012, 01:46 AM
Don't do anything. Played two games and Bonner hasn't played a minute... :tu

Trade det niga son.

ElNono
09-30-2012, 02:05 AM
Turns out Bonner was injured. Fucked up hammy... in other news, Tony keeps on getting player of the game even though Manu is scoring and rebounding more :td

Tell you what though, every time there's a buzzer-beater, I have Jack ready to take them, and damn he delivers... gonna love watching Jack this season.

racm
09-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Jack has balls of steel.

And injured Bonner = blessing in disguise.

TMTTRIO
09-30-2012, 12:20 PM
I see Manu coming off the bench as always and this year I see him not playing a lot until closer to the end of the season giving some of the younger players time to get out there and play. With this being possibly Manu's last season they need to groom some of our new young Manu replacements.

SenorSpur
09-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Agree. Pop should stick with the same lineup he had for most of last season. As such, Manu, at this age, needs to come off the bench, with Green starting.

Bruno
09-30-2012, 02:03 PM
It's a strange idea to think that starting will keep Blair motivated when it hasn't been the case in the past.

What will keep Blair motivated is that he is in a contract year. The downside of the contract year motivation is that Blair will ask even more to be traded if he is in the doghouse. If Pop decides to have him as 3rd string PF behind Diaw and Bonner, he should trade him because it will likely create chemistry issues.

Blair is more suited to be a backup PF because he will be less outmatched than as a starter. I can see Blair having a good season as a 20mpg backup PF.

lurker23
09-30-2012, 02:10 PM
I still like the idea of:

Parker
Green
Leonard
Diaw
Duncan

That unit showed quite a bit of cohesion, and a nice balance of offense and defense. It also leaves a killer bench unit of:

Mills
Ginobili
Jackson
?
Splitter

Obviously that PF slot on the bench is the biggest question mark, as we've been saying all offseason. It would be nice if Blair could fill it, and it's his for the taking if he stays motivated. Barring that (or a trade), part of training camp might be auditioning small ball PFs to fill that role.

ace3g
09-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Plus how could Blair be comfortable as a starter when the past couple of seasons he has lost that spot as the playoffs approached. Let him get comfortable as a bench player, where he is more suited for.

Juggity
09-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Mills
Ginobili
Jackson
?
Splitter

The question mark is Bonner.

Duncan2177
09-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Diaw
Leonard
Duncan
Manu
Parker

lurker23
09-30-2012, 02:20 PM
The question mark is Bonner.

Yeah, until proven otherwise, those minutes will probably be split between Blair and Bonner, with Bonner probably getting his normal 15-20 mpg.

TD 21
09-30-2012, 04:52 PM
I see no reason to think it wouldn't be Parker, Green, Leonard, Diaw and Duncan. That was the starting five down the stretch and for the vast majority of the playoffs last season and it's also the most balanced lineup they can put together.

If for some reason(s) the team is struggling mightily (and the culprit isn't injuries), I could see them shaking it up by starting Ginobili and/or Blair, though.

DesignatedT
09-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Plus how could Blair be comfortable as a starter when the past couple of seasons he has lost that spot as the playoffs approached. Let him get comfortable as a bench player, where he is more suited for.

Yeah, I agree with this. I don't see how starting him would get anymore out of the guy considering past history.

DesignatedT
09-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Manu with the second team works the best. He plays well with Splitter (and Blair) and kind of hides the fact that we don't really have a true backup PG.

CGD
09-30-2012, 06:10 PM
[moved]

racm
09-30-2012, 07:15 PM
You know why Manu should be in the second unit? He's a point guard in a shooting guard's body. Pairing him with a shoot-first PG in Mills makes the most sense.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-01-2012, 02:08 AM
I still like the idea of:

Parker
Green
Leonard
Diaw
Duncan

That unit showed quite a bit of cohesion, and a nice balance of offense and defense. It also leaves a killer bench unit of:

Mills
Ginobili
Jackson
?
Splitter

Obviously that PF slot on the bench is the biggest question mark, as we've been saying all offseason. It would be nice if Blair could fill it, and it's his for the taking if he stays motivated. Barring that (or a trade), part of training camp might be auditioning small ball PFs to fill that role.

This. And I'd be happy to see Pop using that 9-man rotation most of the time, with extra players only used in special circumstances eg Neal for a scoring spark or 3pt shooting lineup, Blair to get some energy going, Bonner as little as possible...