PDA

View Full Version : Well I don't know about you but Tony Parker.........

spurs4real
09-30-2012, 12:24 AM
Has evolved tremendously year after year. As much as I've hated him and wanted him traded for being selfish, he has 180'd that. I am excited about seeing how different or how much better he is going to be. Like I said I was a hater but now I see a superstar about to erupt and take over the Best point guard in the NBA spotlight! I feel he is going to be talked more about this year than years past, besides Lebron and those guys.

lefty
09-30-2012, 12:26 AM
Playoffs ?

spurs4real
09-30-2012, 12:34 AM
ummmm ok.

It was the first time (for me) to see that he made the team better.

TimDunkem
09-30-2012, 12:37 AM
He's absolute garbage if he can't get into the paint. He was a huge factor in why the Spurs lost the WCF.

This team won't win a championship with him being the best player.

Juggity
09-30-2012, 12:42 AM
Only recently has his jumper become a reliable part of his repertoire. That will be a necessary component of his (regular season) success, although we all know about the Point Guard Theory™, so I guess it doesn't really matter either way because the Spurs will never win with Tony at the helm.

Chris
09-30-2012, 12:46 AM
He's absolute garbage if he can't get into the paint. He was a huge factor in why the Spurs lost the WCF.

I agree on the 1st part, but I think we can absolutely win a championship with him being the best player. He's already got a Final's MVP to prove it :lol

K5AJb_XUIuM

therealtruth
09-30-2012, 12:51 AM
Only recently has his jumper become a reliable part of his repertoire. That will be a necessary component of his (regular season) success, although we all know about the Point Guard Theory™, so I guess it doesn't really matter either way because the Spurs will never win with Tony at the helm.

His jumper is only semi-reliable and he allowed Sefalosha to get in his head. That was the biggest tactical move OKC made and the Spurs never countered till they started Manu in game 5 and that caused other problems.

therealtruth
09-30-2012, 12:53 AM
I agree on the 1st part, but I think we can absolutely win a championship with him being the best player. He's already got a Final's MVP to prove it :lol

K5AJb_XUIuM

I'm not sure how effective he would have been if Larry Hughes wasn't injured.

lefty
09-30-2012, 12:56 AM
Boobie Gibson guarding TP :lmao

TimDunkem
09-30-2012, 01:11 AM
lol At the notion that he would be able to that against an actual team like OKC, or Miami.

Pack the paint, stick a longer defender on him, let him hog the ball only to shoot contested jumpers, and you have this team beat.

ElNono
09-30-2012, 01:25 AM
I'm still a hater, tbh

tim_duncan_fan
09-30-2012, 12:40 PM
I've hated him off and on for years. Hated to see us needing to move away from Tim to him, though of course it was inevitable. I've wanted him gone and praised him before.

But really though...a teammate's wife? Someone should have kicked his ass.

DMC
09-30-2012, 02:49 PM

No team will win the ring with their PG being the best player. Most PGs can't do shit if they cannot get into the paint. None of this makes TP garbage and he's not the reason the Spurs lost the WCF.

ChuckD
09-30-2012, 02:51 PM

They have already, three times.

Juggity
09-30-2012, 03:25 PM
They have already, three times.

With Tony as a point guard, sure, but are you really arguing that TP was "at the helm" during any of the championship years?

superbigtime
09-30-2012, 03:29 PM
I just don't get Tony hate. Why would anyone hate on an all star point guard with a Finals MVP playing for YOUR TEAM?? Because he's French? Because he's a score first point guard who sometimes dribbles too much? Because he cheated on a Texas girl? So fucking what. He's better than any other Spurs PG past or present by a MILE. We've seen what this team does without Tony ... struggle for the most part. Tony parties but he doesn't get in trouble, he gives good interviews, he's not a bad seed or a thug. He's a polite snob, I'm fine with that. He's a successful talented guy from Europe playing in South Texas...who wouldn't be a little snobby in his position. He's been a Spur his entire career. If you're gonna hate, hate our more ineffective players who have a solid reputation for being weak minded chokers. Tony's the man.

Juggity
09-30-2012, 04:05 PM
I just don't get Tony hate. Why would anyone hate on an all star point guard with a Finals MVP playing for YOUR TEAM?? Because he's French? Because he's a score first point guard who sometimes dribbles too much? Because he cheated on a Texas girl? So fucking what. He's better than any other Spurs PG past or present by a MILE. We've seen what this team does without Tony ... struggle for the most part. Tony parties but he doesn't get in trouble, he gives good interviews, he's not a bad seed or a thug. He's a polite snob, I'm fine with that. He's a successful talented guy from Europe playing in South Texas...who wouldn't be a little snobby in his position. He's been a Spur his entire career. If you're gonna hate, hate our more ineffective players who have a solid reputation for being weak minded chokers. Tony's the man.

Tony's personality has never been a problem for me, but his playing style is not built for leading a team in the playoffs. The fact that he has a Finals MVP is as much dependent on Tim, Bruce etc. playing stellar defense as it is on Tony finishing at the rim. Don't get me wrong, he's an excellent finisher; one of the best in the league. But at his core, he's a score-first PG, and when was the last time a score-first PG led a team to a championship?

SequSpur
10-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Best Player in the NBA! :flag:

TDMVPDPOY
10-01-2012, 12:26 AM
this clown was exposed in the playoffs when he called out westbrick

he was lucky and not batte tested where his ego got ahead of him after outplaying harris and injured cp3....

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-01-2012, 12:58 AM
Tony is not the reason we lost the WCFs, ridiculous outside shooting by OKC is the main reason, and a bench that fell in a heap. No doubt Sefo bothered TP, especially in game 3, but I don't think that cost us the series.

I think TP's evolved into a superb player, and if he can get the confidence he had in his jumper back to the level he showed a few years ago when he hit trusted in it and hit it consistently, he can lead this team to a ring.

tlongII
10-01-2012, 02:29 AM
I'd rather have Damian Lillard tbh.

swaggerjackson
10-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Tony is a damn good player, and I don't hate him but he is the weakest of the big three. He is a regular season player. He dominates during the regular season, but when a team has the chance to focus on stopping him, he is noticeably slowed down. Duncan and Ginobili can/could overcome virtually any situation that was thrown at them. They had so much to their game they could make adjustment after adjustment and continue to destroy teams. Parker doesn't have that much to choose from. He certainly should not be given away but I don't think he is as good as his stats might suggest. I like Rondo more tbh. That being said I don't think the Spurs would look to trade him unless the team was in danger of missing the playoffs bad.

Pauleta14
10-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Yeah, right, Tony is the reason we lost, not our interior D, not OKC's bigs insane shooting, not Green or Neal disapearing, not our lack of back up PG, not Manu not being Manu anymore, not Duncan's O going AWOL...

Let's trade this french ass!!!!

ps/ Damn, I missed Spurstalk!!!

TDMVPDPOY
10-01-2012, 02:50 PM
lol french wankers still denying their player choked while blaming others...it wouldve helped had he not open his mouth calling out a challenge to westbrick

once again when a team adjust to parker let alone the spurs, he chokes...

spurraider21
10-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Parker was far and away our best player an was a serious MVp candidate. One thing I will say is that for bursts at a time, maybe a game at a time, Manu is the most dominant player, but Tony is farmore cconsistent, plays more minutes, and misses less games.

ElNono
10-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Hopefully, the whole "team leader Tony" experiment ended with last season, tbh

spurraider21
10-01-2012, 03:41 PM
You mean when we made it further than we have been since 2008?

ElNono
10-01-2012, 04:19 PM
You mean when we made it further than we have been since 2008?

Second place is first loser, tbh... nobody remembers also-rans...

therealtruth
10-01-2012, 06:29 PM
He's the leader. He had to step up and lead by example. It would be a different thing if we were saying Parker was playing his best ball and everybody else was playing terrible. He didn't play like an MVP and he deserves the blame just as much as he deserved the credit during the season.

therealtruth
10-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Pop sidelined TP getting back on track in game 5 by starting Manu which forced him to defer. It would helped the team more if Manu did what he did in game 5 off the bench.

spurraider21
10-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Second place is first loser, tbh... nobody remembers also-rans...

i disagree. though nothing compares to winning it i'll, i look back at this season pretty fondly overall, much more than last season's first round KO against the grizzlies. also, regarding this thread, the last time we won it all, tony parker was the finals mvp. i'm perfectly fine with him running the show. we are an elite team, and he's been the engine of our offense. its a good formula, no need to start over when we are this close

ElNono
10-02-2012, 04:48 PM
I loved dumping RJ for Jack(!)... for me, that was the highlight of last season. Tony is the youngest of the better players, so it's expected he carries the team during the regular season. When playoffs come around though, and the competition gets tougher, and teams lock in to stop your best guys, it's not surprising to see him fold. His ceiling is second-banana, so this shouldn't be any revelation, tbh.

Brazil
10-02-2012, 06:35 PM
I loved dumping RJ for Jack(!)... for me, that was the highlight of last season. Tony is the youngest of the better players, so it's expected he carries the team during the regular season. When playoffs come around though, and the competition gets tougher, and teams lock in to stop your best guys, it's not surprising to see him fold. His ceiling is second-banana, so this shouldn't be any revelation, tbh.

ElNono already ready for the season start :lol

ElNono
10-02-2012, 07:16 PM
ElNono already ready for the season start :lol

:lol

racm
10-02-2012, 07:27 PM
It's easy to lock down a 6'2" midget without a 3 point shot after all.

Look at the Bulls. Miami clamped down on gangbanger and bang, backdoor swept.

therealtruth
10-02-2012, 09:51 PM
It's easy to lock down a 6'2" midget without a 3 point shot after all.

Look at the Bulls. Miami clamped down on gangbanger and bang, backdoor swept.

When TP won Finals MVP in '07 he was hitting his 3 point shot. It could really have expanded his game if he could have hit that shot.

ElNono
10-02-2012, 10:58 PM
When TP won Finals MVP in '07 he was hitting his 3 point shot. It could really have expanded his game if he could have hit that shot.

When TP won Finals MVP he was being guarded by Booby Gibson, tbh...

z0sa
10-03-2012, 12:00 AM
For the second time the French dude was the biggest reason Spurs epically choked away a 2-0 lead despite owning said lead and a shitload of momentum. I now know the Spurs are incapable of winning another title with this core, unfortunately. I'll always root for my Silver and Black though

spurs10
10-03-2012, 02:24 AM
So what?

therealtruth
10-03-2012, 08:13 AM

It's the same story line. Clamp down on Parker to cut of the head of the snake.

elemento
10-03-2012, 08:56 AM
What's funny is the fact that Parker is bashed for not delivering SA the title as the 1st option, but there's only ONE player in SA good enough to carry this team to a title and we all know who he is and we all know he too old now.

If Parker can't get a pass for last season (even though he was our best player in the RS and the PS), Manu can't get a pass either. Played like shit against the Jazz and his efficiency in the playoffs decreased a lot .

FG%52.6 / 41.3% 3P in the RS and 44.8%FG / 33.8% in the PS

Yeah I don't think it's a surprise that Parker can't lead SA to a title as the 1st option, but neither can Manu or any other player not named TD, so I believe that the hate that Parker gets in ST is pathetic.

Cane
10-03-2012, 10:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkYxNdYcWR8

ElNono
10-03-2012, 10:39 AM
So what?

Shouldn't need to explain, tbh...

If Parker can't get a pass for last season (even though he was our best player in the RS and the PS), Manu can't get a pass either.

Much like Tim, Manu is old. What's Tony excuse?

elemento
10-03-2012, 11:17 AM
There isn't such thing "much like Timmy" for Manu. Timmy is one of the best players of all-time and without Timmy SA wouldn't have won shit in the last decade.

Young Manu was an amazing player (he still is), but like Parker, was amazing as Duncan's sidekick. Manu, young or old verson, can't carry SA to a NBA title as well, so I don't see why Parker gets so much hate for the WCF loss against OKC.

You guys act like it's a surprise that Parker can't carry SA to a title. Of course he can't and the only guy that could carry this team to a title is too old now, unfortunately.

superbigtime
10-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Tony's personality has never been a problem for me, but his playing style is not built for leading a team in the playoffs. The fact that he has a Finals MVP is as much dependent on Tim, Bruce etc. playing stellar defense as it is on Tony finishing at the rim. Don't get me wrong, he's an excellent finisher; one of the best in the league. But at his core, he's a score-first PG, and when was the last time a score-first PG led a team to a championship?

He's score first, but he does a better job of getting teammates involved than he gets credit for. You can see Tony say 'screw the teammates, I'm scoring' when he gives a good dish to shooters who don't get the job done. That's gotta be frustrating for him because he KNOWS he can score. I think he has a great all around offensive game. Answer to your question .. choose from Dwyane Wade, Rajon Rondo, Magic, and I. Thomas.

Juggity
10-03-2012, 12:35 PM
He's score first, but he does a better job of getting teammates involved than he gets credit for. You can see Tony say 'screw the teammates, I'm scoring' when he gives a good dish to shooters who don't get the job done. That's gotta be frustrating for him because he KNOWS he can score. I think he has a great all around offensive game. Answer to your question .. choose from Dwyane Wade, Rajon Rondo, Magic, and I. Thomas.

I mean, I agree to some extent that his passing and assist game has improved over the last few years. He's much better than he's ever been in that regard. But he's hardly the league's most elite passer. He's not in the same conversation as Rondo, Chris Paul, etc.

Also, Dwyane wade's a shooting guard, Rajon Rondo is the definition of pass-first (and hasn't led his team to a championship; 2008 was Garnett, Pierce, Ray Allen), Magic broke the mold because he was virtually a big man PG (and, honestly, he was pass-first as well). So that leaves, potentially, Isiah Thomas, who did a lot of both scoring & assisting; a true hybrid, unlike Tony.

And even if we do count Isiah Thomas as a score-first PG, that's one extraordinary example of a score-first PG leading a team to the championship, 25 years ago. And that Pistons team was also notable for its defense more than its offense — something the TP-led Spurs do not have.

ElNono
10-03-2012, 01:43 PM
You guys act like it's a surprise that Parker can't carry SA to a title.

Not here...

spurs10
10-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Winning the MVP in the NBA Finals is an incredible accomplishment in and of itself. No excuses can diminish the fact that you were the last man standing. The sweep of the Cavs in 2007 was not the most challenging and compelling Finals any of us have ever watched, but I felt it was more of an indictment on the Eastern Conference than on Tony Parker.

Brazil
10-03-2012, 04:37 PM
For the second time the French dude was the biggest reason Spurs epically choked away a 2-0 lead despite owning said lead and a shitload of momentum. I now know the Spurs are incapable of winning another title with this core, unfortunately. I'll always root for my Silver and Black though

the French dude was also the primary reason to be in the WCF tbh

ElNono
10-03-2012, 05:42 PM
I think I'm ready for the season :lol

Brazil
10-03-2012, 06:11 PM
I think I'm ready for the season :lol

now that you have a new Buddy FLKer or whatever his bold name is you're ready to go

ElNono
10-03-2012, 06:40 PM
now that you have a new Buddy FLKer or whatever his bold name is you're ready to go

Not bold anymore, apparently...

therealtruth
10-03-2012, 10:24 PM

It's one thing to make a pass to a guy and get an assist because he hits a jumpshot. It's much harder to create an easy basket for a guy who's struggling to get him going. That's the part that TP lacks. His assists rise an fall with how well the team is shooting. A good point guard would recognized Danny Green is struggling and think how I can I get DG an easy basket to get him going. It might be creating something for him on a fastbreak or getting him on the move. A good PG on a team with shooters like the Spurs should be averaging 12+ APG.