PDA

View Full Version : Mumford & Sons

Spurminator
10-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Are they the new Dave Matthews Band / Coldplay? The group that explodes into the mainstream with a sound that hasn't been mainstream for a long time, then quickly becomes tired, cliche, and finally a sort of punchline?

I'll admit to liking them to this point. I think the new album is an improvement over the last... Sigh No More is half good, but even that half is made up of songs that are at times difficult to tell apart. I find Babel one a lot more interesting, even if it's very similar for the most part. But because all of their material sounds like it could be part of the same song, I can also see myself getting tired of them very quickly.

I've noticed they're already garnered pretty intense animosity among the music navel-gazers on the web.

Thoughts?

Fpoonsie
10-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Funt likes 'em. I consider her rather picky.

IM shat on 'em pretty early, but he's a beanster, so his opinion is pretty much null, void.

monosylab1k
10-01-2012, 01:11 PM
I'm not a fan but all i've heard are their radio hits.

I do agree with the hardline that it's annoying how every new band these days requires a banjo player, & they all have to have giant beards and vests and look dirty, basically looking like an extra from Hell On Wheels.

CuckingFunt
10-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Are they the new Dave Matthews Band / Coldplay? The group that explodes into the mainstream with a sound that hasn't been mainstream for a long time, then quickly becomes tired, cliche, and finally a sort of punchline?

I'll admit to liking them to this point. I think the new album is an improvement over the last... Sigh No More is half good, and even that half is made up of songs that are at times difficult to tell apart. I find Babel one a lot more interesting, even if it's very similar for the most part. But because all of their material sounds like it could be part of the same song, I can also see myself getting tired of them very quickly.

I've noticed they're already garnered pretty intense animosity among the music navel-gazers on the web.

Thoughts?

I haven't polled the navel-gazers recently, so I don't know whether or not they're pitchfork approved, but I love them. And I hope they're not destined for Dave Matthews Band's/Coldplay's, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't also once love those two bands, and for reasons that are very similar to the reasons I like Mumford & Sons. I think Mumford & Sons are a better band than Coldplay ever actually was, because even the two albums of theirs I liked (Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head) are ones I would struggle to call particularly good or interesting.

One thing I could see happening, and I think this had a lot to do with the DMB/Coldplay fall to irrelevancy, as well, is they fail to live up to hype they probably shouldn't have gotten in the first place. Once you're rated as the bestest band ever or the hottest of hot new things, even for a short time, just being a good/solid band is suddenly a letdown.

Funt likes 'em. I consider her rather picky.

I'm not, particularly. I like what I like without overthinking it much beyond that.

CuckingFunt
10-01-2012, 01:29 PM
I do agree with the hardline that it's annoying how every new band these days requires a banjo player

But banjo is one of the most awesome instruments ever.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
10-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Not a fan of them.

Fpoonsie
10-01-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm not, particularly. I like what I like without overthinking it much beyond that.

Lulz. Well, I may've misused the word "picky" simply because I don't recognize most of your contributions to the "listening to" thread.

Spurminator
10-01-2012, 01:52 PM
I haven't polled the navel-gazers recently, so I don't know whether or not they're pitchfork approved, but I love them. And I hope they're not destined for Dave Matthews Band's/Coldplay's, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't also once love those two bands, and for reasons that are very similar to the reasons I like Mumford & Sons.

:lol I didn't want to single Pitchfork out specifically but part of what got me thinking about this was the fact that Babel hasn't even been reviewed on PF.

I also liked DMB and Coldplay for a while but that was back when I listened to the radio. I'm not even sure what Mumford's radio hits are. First time I heard them was on Spotify. I guess that's why I don't get tired of bands as easily these days... When I listened to the radio, I got tired of hearing overplayed songs. Now, except for when I hear the first part of the song on Pandora before skipping it, I just don't listen anymore if I don't want to hear someone.

And banjo does kick ass. As does mandolin.

redzero
10-01-2012, 07:11 PM
They're pretty meh. Listen to Grizzly Bear instead.

Joyrider
10-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Their latest sold 600,000 copies in the US. You're gonna see a whole lot of them come next year.

CuckingFunt
10-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Listen to Grizzly Bear instead.

Why "instead"? Why not "too"?

CuckingFunt
10-01-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm pretty sure fan and hater alike can unite behind the fact they outsold Bieber, though. That's just plain good for everyone.

The Gemini Method
10-02-2012, 11:45 AM
I enjoyed the first album--I haven't really listened to their latest one Babel, but they're cool. I liken them to a more folksy Arcade Fire and perhaps they'll follow the same path.

jeebus
10-02-2012, 11:56 AM
I don't care for them.

Clipper Nation
10-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Sons, this hipster music is shit.... it's just Nickelback in cardigans and girl pants, tbh...

Frank Dux
10-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Saw them at Red Rocks about a month or so ago. Hadn't really heard much of their music besides a song or two but I had a bunch of friends going so I bought a ticket. They were outstanding. I am a fan.

The Gemini Method
10-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Sons, this hipster music is shit.... it's just Nickelback in cardigans and girl pants, tbh...

Never heard Nickelback and hipster used in the same comparison...but I can see how people might construe Mumford & Sons as hipsterish...

redzero
10-02-2012, 02:12 PM

:lol at Mumford & Sons being hipster.

IronMexican
10-02-2012, 07:42 PM
>2.1

Honestly, I don't like them, but having to listen to the radio at work every day makes me hate them. It's fucking terrible.

vander
10-02-2012, 11:28 PM
they had that good song, but then all their other songs sounded like a shitty rough draft of that good song

Soul_Patch
10-03-2012, 08:06 AM
All I know, is they are no Radiohead! :lmao

Clipper Nation
10-03-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm pretty sure fan and hater alike can unite behind the fact they outsold Bieber, though. That's just plain good for everyone.
Not that big a deal tbh.... just the same old boring white people music, repackaged for different age groups of boring white people....