PDA

View Full Version : Stephon Marbury????

CyberSnake
06-26-2005, 10:04 AM
If the Knicks go with a point guard, that might lead to a trade of Marbury, who is 29 and not expected to contend for a title anytime soon.

Several teams out West, including Minnesota, Memphis, Houston and even San Antonio would be interested in a talented veteran who is better suited to be the second or third best player on a team. The Knicks won just 33 games last season, which means no one is untouchable, not even Thomas' pet player.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/322636p-275843c.html

Talk about rumors, the Spurs can't be interested in this fool.
The man has been on 3 different teams and hasn't won jack, theres obviously something wrong with this dude.

Maybe Tony can show him a thing or 2, trophys that is. :lol

TMSKILZ
06-26-2005, 10:08 AM
U kidding me? Sure Marbury is more physical than TP & a better scorer, but he's selfish & a thug. No Thanks.

TP needs to work on his jump shot this offseason & not just his CD!

ObiwanGinobili
06-26-2005, 10:11 AM
another reporter talking out his ass. NO WAY Spurs are looking at Marbury, we don't have left over funds for the babysitters we'd need to hire to keep him in check.

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Marbs has a bloated contract no way spurs wanan touch that

exstatic
06-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Word. He makes a ton of jack. I'd rather see if NVE would be interested in a cheap contract for a backup role.

CyberSnake
06-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Word. He makes a ton of jack. I'd rather see if NVE would be interested in a cheap contract for a backup role.

I have no complaints about that one.
Didn't he say last year was his last or something like that?

foodie2
06-26-2005, 10:38 AM

NVE would be a dream pick-up. I hadn't even thought of him.

conversekid
06-26-2005, 10:47 AM
NVE as a backup would be awesome. He's a couple years older than 03 WCF where he was killing us with the 3 ball. I think he would excel in a back up role with the spurs. we would have that cool vet who's been in pressure situations before. His strengths would compliment tony's weaknesses coming off the bench.

Make it so.

NCaliSpurs
06-26-2005, 11:32 AM
Can't trade Tony this year because he will be a Base-Year player.

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Ive read alot of articles and rumors, and spurs are always mention in the mix, why are they even mentioning us, we are not lookin at adding players to the team besides scola and a rookie. Probaly using the spurs to raise the stakes n value of a player.

NCaliSpurs
06-26-2005, 12:11 PM
It is a stupid rumor. The only guy we could possibly trade is Tony Parker, and his contract is nearly untradeable this year because he is a BYC player.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2005, 01:06 PM
Let's not kid ourselves, if the Spurs had a chance at getting Starbury he would be here in a secDoubtful. I don't think Pop would be inclined to try to tame such a huge playbreaker this late in his career for that money.

T Park
06-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Yeah trade for a selfish gangsta, that would bitch about not enough shots.

Anyone ever noticed the trend wherever Marbury goes, he loses?!?!?!

Coincidence maybe?

mookie2001
06-26-2005, 01:09 PM
van exels done
hes got no knees
i really wouldnt care about marbury

but we do need a 3/2

Samr
06-26-2005, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't mind a Barron Davis/Tony Parker trade. But that will never happen.

Stephon is a poor man's TMac. He's a scorer, and he will get you some wins. But he won't get you a championship, and he will not adapt his game enough to fit in with a new team, new players, let alone a new philosophy. And I think that's why Parker will stay in San Antonio.

Parker buys into Pop's system. He accepts that the team isn't all about him, and that it will never be. But if you bring in Marbury, his expectation is that he will be the focus, and all the other players will revolve around him. And when you have Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili carrying your team, everyone else needs to play second fiddle.

T Park
06-26-2005, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't mind a Barron Davis/Tony Parker trade

I would.

Baron Davis while a great player, plays what, 48 games a year?

Has the worst back problems outside of Devin brown and T Mac.

wildbill2u
06-26-2005, 01:34 PM
Pop said he would first look for a PG in the draft (and maybe might trade up if possible to get one) on his radio show. This Indicates they may not be quite as happy with Beno as they thought. And they may have their eye on someone.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Marbury is past his prime and I don't foresee any situation where that clown would be willing to take a backup to Parker. There are plenty of teams in the league who could use him, but the Spurs are not one. The only team that I see on that list that would make good use of him might be the Griz. The rest of those teams, while they are in need of a point guard, really need a pass first guard.

Samr
06-26-2005, 01:43 PM
If you want to make the playoffs, get a scoring point guard. If you want to win the championship, get a pass-first point guard.

Some teams need to decide which one they want.

mavsfan1000
06-26-2005, 01:46 PM
Billups is a scoring point guard

T Park
06-26-2005, 01:47 PM
If you want to win the championship, get a pass-first point guard.

unless your the Spurs.

T Park
06-26-2005, 01:50 PM
Billups is a scoring point guard

true, but for them to win, he has to get the ball distributed.

The Spurs can win with parker scoring in the offense.

If Billups gets too many shots, the Pistons struggle to win.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2005, 01:54 PM
The Spurs will have to move up if they want a point guard who will contribute more than Beno. We're talking lottery here -- would have to be some kind of trade to make this happen.

CyberSnake
06-26-2005, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't mind a Barron Davis/Tony Parker trade. But that will never happen.

Baron is done he's always injured, no thanks.

SequSpur
06-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Stephon Marbury sucks.

mavsfan1000
06-26-2005, 02:17 PM
He would've done a better job against Billups than Parker did.

SequSpur
06-26-2005, 02:17 PM
Parker just started for the 2005 NBA Champions. You're bright.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-26-2005, 02:20 PM
He would've done a better job against Billups than Parker did.

Nash would have run circles, squares and triangles around him though.

mavsfan1000
06-26-2005, 02:21 PM
It wouldn't have gone 7 if Parker held his own on Billups but since he didn't Duncan and Ginobili had to save the day. Even Barry did a better job at point guard for the short period there.

SequSpur
06-26-2005, 02:23 PM
Did you take the short bus to this forum from mavtalk.com?

You make absolutely no sense. Parker controlled this series, he fucking shut down Rip on a game winner.

He can rap, he has Eva, he is top fifty and two fucking rings.

u are the poster child for Idiots.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2005, 02:25 PM
He would've done a better job against Billups than Parker did.Oh really?

Better than Tony's 13.9 pts, 3.4 ast and .458 FG and .143 from the arc?

Let's check Marbury's numbers against the Pistons in three games this season.

13.3 pts, 5.3 ast, .436 FG and .167 3pt

Yeah, pull the trigger now.

Or get over yourself and recognize the Pistons are a badass defensive team.

Kori Ellis
06-26-2005, 02:25 PM
Pop said he would first look for a PG in the draft (and maybe might trade up if possible to get one) on his radio show.

If Pop said that, then they are probably drafting a big man. :lol

The Spurs don't usually tip their hand in the draft.

mavsfan1000
06-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Saying the spurs would sweep would be the poster child for idiots. Parker might have got by but not without help from Bowen who showed Parker how to guard Billups. Hamilton had good shots against Parker but did not go down. Nash still dominated San Antonio on offense so it was not like Parker shut him down.

Eva
06-26-2005, 02:27 PM
LMAO Marbury? You guys know what he does in the offseason?

Streetball :rolleyes

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 02:27 PM
Parker is more suited to this team than Marbury would be. Again, as much as Spurs fans don't seem to understand, Parker is a top 5 point guard in the NBA today.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2005, 02:29 PM
So the reigning league and Finals MVPs had good series against our 23 year-old point guard?

Wow, you really got us there -- next stop: waiver wire!

mavsfan1000
06-26-2005, 02:35 PM
Everyone can agree that San Antonio needs a backup point guard who is more physical and bigger. Maybe Marbury has too much ego to be that type of player but Kidd had alot of success against Billups and that is the type of player that would give a big edge to San Antonio over Detroit next year. Parker can't guard Billups.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2005, 02:36 PM
So Kidd backs up Parker?

Genius.

mavsfan1000
06-26-2005, 02:39 PM
No. A player with similar built to Kidd who doesn't have the skills but won't get killed by Billups.

mavsfan1000
06-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Mike James would be perfect

ChumpDumper
06-26-2005, 02:43 PM
All you've done is mention 3 guys who are better than Parker and, not coincidentally are MVPs or perennial MVP candidates. I realize that you are Mavfan and prone to thinking having an All-Star at every position and dominating every matchup in every game is possible.

But it isn't.

Sure a backup with size is fine -- but so is a timely switch. It wasn't like Bowen guarded Chauncy the entire game 7, and even Rip complimented Parker on his D.

I'll take the occasional mismatch and the ring.

MVPs are going to get theirs. It's how you deal with the others that is important.

T Park
06-26-2005, 02:48 PM
Top 5 point guard. 23 years old, all star.

Get rid of him. Genius......

Sounds like the Mavericks fans after last year with Steve Nash.

timvp
06-26-2005, 03:29 PM
I swear some Spurs fans have taken the short bus to their Spurs fandom. Yeah, Tony Parker sucks for allowing a total of three points scored on him in Game 7 ... and still shot a good percentage for the series despite being defended by the two best defensive point guards in the league in Billups and Hunter. Because Parker was having success against the two best defensive point guards in the league, the Pistons had to switch Rip Hamilton on him.

But yeah, Parker sucks. Trade him :rolleyes

ChumpDumper
06-26-2005, 03:39 PM
Because Parker was having success against the two best defensive point guards in the league, the Pistons had to switch Rip Hamilton on him.Same thing with the last Finals -- everyone says he got shut down and Speedy bailed him out. Fine, but his success against Kidd forced Scott to put Kittles on him. Kittles never guarded Claxton, so he could blow by Kidd as much as Tony did.

Know this: coaches get wet at the thought of their opponents' having to make these kind of switches in the middle of a game and are loathe to do it themselves. That the Spurs often do it preemptively makes it no less significant.

T Park
06-26-2005, 03:39 PM
^^^

(applaudes)

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2005, 03:56 PM
This is the same newspaper who said that NY got the better end of the Nazr-Rose trade :lol 'Nuff said.

Pop said he would first look for a PG in the draft (and maybe might trade up if possible to get one) on his radio show.

Which pretty much guarantees that Pop WON'T be drafting a point guard. :lol

BTW, as frustrated as I was with Tony at times during the playoffs, kid played lights out D in game 7.

Go away mavsboy, it's not like you know what defense looks like anyway.

T Park
06-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Tony Parker was an integral reason the Spurs won game 7.

But the media like Buck harvey, and other asswhipes wont recognize his defense, nor his basket that made it 48 41 to start the rally.

T Park
06-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Which pretty much guarantees that Pop WON'T be drafting a point guard

exactly.

Kinda like the day before they got Mohammed, he uttered

"We will be quiet trade day, we more than likely wont make a move"

ducks
06-26-2005, 04:27 PM
if pop said on his show they want a point guard I EXPECT THEM NOT TO DRAFT ONE

1Parker1
06-26-2005, 05:06 PM
:lol Tony Parker creates more drama and debate amongst Spurs fans than Eva Longaria gets laid on Desperate Housewives.

mavsfan1000
06-26-2005, 05:34 PM
I did not say anything about trading Parker. All I said is that Parker does not matchup well against the tougher point guards like Billups. He needs a reliable backup that can play physical like Mike James or someone like him. Y'all are assuming that I want him traded and that is not true.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-26-2005, 05:39 PM
With the exception of Marbury and Billups, who else has Parker really struggled against? I will gladly take a guy who can hold his own against 90% of the point guards in the league. As far as the back-up situation goes, that position is pretty deep and versatile. Beno, Barry, and Ginobili can and have played the point at some time during the last year. I wouldn't mind picking up Mike James, but I really don't think it's the Achilles heel that some seem to think around here.

mavsfan1000
06-26-2005, 05:42 PM
Detroit is your only serious threat for now because of Billups. Mike James is a good defender and he is strong. He won't be cheap but he would be able to hold his own against Billups. His weakness is being selfish and not penetrating enough but he would counterattack Billups while leaving Ginobili at the 2 guard.

mavsfan1000
06-26-2005, 06:06 PM
Top 5 point guard. 23 years old, all star.

Get rid of him. Genius......

Sounds like the Mavericks fans after last year with Steve Nash.
I never said get rid of him. :stfu :idiot

Spursdaone
06-26-2005, 07:02 PM
Detroit is your only serious threat for now because of Billups. Mike James is a good defender and he is strong. He won't be cheap but he would be able to hold his own against Billups. His weakness is being selfish and not penetrating enough but he would counterattack Billups while leaving Ginobili at the 2 guard.
You idiot. Parker doesn't need help at point guard. He did just as well as anyone on Billups who was the finals MVP last year year so stfu.

mavsfan1000
06-27-2005, 12:48 AM
Parker might have split time with Mike James in this series because Mike would do alot better against Billups.

GoSpurs21
06-27-2005, 01:12 AM
lets see Tony Parker has 4 years of Spurs corporate knowledge
Marbury has none
does anything more need to be said except dumbest trade idea ever?

CalsonicKansei
06-27-2005, 01:18 AM
Stephon already stated that he wants to stay with the NYK's and no one else.

What a retard.

Jdspur20
06-27-2005, 01:20 AM
Pop said he would first look for a PG in the draft (and maybe might trade up if possible to get one) on his radio show. This Indicates they may not be quite as happy with Beno as they thought. And they may have their eye on someone.

nate robinson maybe?

Nbadan
06-27-2005, 01:25 AM
If the Spurs traded for Marbury they would likely package Rasho and/or Beno along with him. Let's not forget that Wallace was thought of as a thug in Portland, but he really came through for the Pistons this post-season. So one teams thug can be another teams treasure. Dare I say it, the only reason the Pistons held the Spurs to 7 games was because of the Parker-Billups matchup.

ManuTastic
06-27-2005, 04:49 AM
Marbury=Million dollar talent, 50-cent head. Pass.