PDA

View Full Version : Sold

ElNono
10-03-2012, 10:13 PM
So I liked all 3 prospective bigs...

Powell: Young, energetic, he's much more polished than your regular scrub. He looks ready for an NBA job.
Brown: Also young and energetic. Never looked out of place, even when playing with TD.
Curry: Intriguing... he looks really slim so you know he's been putting effort there. He's strong, has size and like Jack seems like a tough customer.

I would take any of those 3 as the 4th big right now, over even Bonner and Blair... unfortunately, ginger is staying and taking that 4th spot, so there's no room for most of them.

However, due to Splitter seemingly never ending injuries, I think we're going to keep one of them as insurance. We're way too stacked at the guard, and for wings, Khawi, Jack and Green should give us what we need.

Thoughts?

Libri
10-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Which of those three has the highest bb iq?

jjktkk
10-03-2012, 10:18 PM
I'd take Curry and Brown.

jeebus
10-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Whoever plays best defense. The Spurs are guaranteed to get buttfucked on national tv against the Lakers if Bonner/Blair duo is in the game at the same time

Manu-20
10-03-2012, 10:24 PM
I like Curry he played Duncan quit well at times and I think he could be a very good 4th big man option but of course there is bonner and for as bad as splitter is staying healthy he is still a very good role player for the spurs when healthy, so it's tough to say who can earn a roster spot and make an impact but so far all 3 of those guys look like they can be of an assist to the spurs.

ElNono
10-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Whoever plays best defense. The Spurs are guaranteed to get buttfucked on national tv against the Lakers if Bonner/Blair duo is in the game at the same time

That's why Curry is intriguing. The tools are there.

All 3 are hungry, but Curry might be the literal kind. The risk is that you hand him a contract and he moves permanently to Whataburger.

justinandimcool
10-03-2012, 10:26 PM
only one can help against Howard/Gasol. the big one.

ChuckD
10-03-2012, 10:54 PM
only one can help against Howard/Gasol. the big one.

Curry's not much of a defender.

spursince#99
10-04-2012, 12:21 AM
Curry's not much of a defender.

he did well on TD today

ChuckD
10-04-2012, 06:52 AM
he did well on TD today

1. It's a scrimmage
2. Tim is 35, and NOT representative of the breed of quick, off the dribble PFs the league has today.
3. If Eddy can only defend big and slow, he cannot play with Tim, since Tim can only defend that type. He'd be stealing Splitter's minutes as Tim's backup.

racm
10-04-2012, 06:58 AM
1. It's a scrimmage
2. Tim is 35, and NOT representative of the breed of quick, off the dribble PFs the league has today.
3. If Eddy can only defend big and slow, he cannot play with Tim, since Tim can only defend that type. He'd be stealing Splitter's minutes as Tim's backup.

Tim's a full-time center now. A center who takes more jumpers than back-to-the-basket types than the likes of Howard, but a center nonetheless.

benefactor
10-04-2012, 07:06 AM
As much as I have always liked Brown and still like him, I think Powell is the best fit from a need perspective. The Spurs really need a true power forward and he's closer to that then any of the other prospects.

jyra
10-04-2012, 07:08 AM
I wonder if Pop will play Tim and Tiago together a bit more against big lineups like the Lakers/Grizzlies. That would open up some minutes for Curry.

racm
10-04-2012, 07:14 AM
As much as I have always liked Brown and still like him, I think Powell is the best fit from a need perspective. The Spurs really need a true power forward and he's closer to that then any of the other prospects.

6'9" ain't something to shake a stick at. Dice was that size and contributed, shame he had little left in the tank.

ChuckD
10-04-2012, 07:20 AM
6'9" ain't something to shake a stick at. Dice was that size and contributed, shame he had little left in the tank.

Exactly. I'm not a concerned about size when you're talking like 1 inch from optimum. His standing reach and wingspan are larger than Blair's who is a freak in that department. Brown is about 5-10 pounds lighter than David West, and no one has a problem considering HIM a PF.

Brown is a plus defender, and that is what we need on this squad. Put Chip to work re-gaining the 3 pointer he had in college and you have an instant swing forward who can legitimately defend 2-4.

racm
10-04-2012, 08:26 AM
6'9" is typical for PFs - weight and wingspan matter more.

TDMVPDPOY
10-04-2012, 08:45 AM
hows currys heart condition?

Bruno
10-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Powell is 29 years old, I wouldn't call him young.

benefactor
10-04-2012, 10:47 AM
I see Powell as closer to being a right now contributor than Brown. His game doesn't really need any polishing and he's played exclusively at PF for over 300 regular season games and 40 playoff games. With only Bonner and Blair being the options I'd much rather see a player that has spent a lot of time at PF being the fall back over a player that is more of a tweener. I would see Brown as more of an eventual Jackson replacement.

The Spurs are trying to win now and need players that can play now. Powell seems like he would be closer to that as a PF.

10-04-2012, 06:28 PM
curry could barely play defense in his prime. he's not going to start now. it's like when spurstalk expected drew gooden to play defense. at least blair tries.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-04-2012, 06:57 PM
curry could barely play defense in his prime. he's not going to start now. it's like when spurstalk expected drew gooden to play defense. at least blair tries.

Blair tries? i guess you are watching a different pnr defender than I recall. He doesn't even give as much effort as he once did on the defensive glass anymore.

TD 21
10-04-2012, 07:07 PM

He is a true PF, but from strictly a positional perspective, that's what they need least out of the three front court positions. And he brings nothing the other PF's don't.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to Brown or Powell. I still think Brown is the odds on favorite, but if Powell makes it, it'll be as Splitter insurance (he's no C, but they haven't had a problem in recent years playing 6-9 or under guys, who can't protect the rim, at C). It won't be to compete with Blair and Bonner.

benefactor
10-04-2012, 07:44 PM
:lol

The Spurs need a true PF less than the other positions? And who are the other PF's on the roster besides Diaw?

TimDunkem
10-04-2012, 08:09 PM
He is a true PF, but from strictly a positional perspective, that's what they need least out of the three front court positions. And he brings nothing the other PF's don't.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to Brown or Powell. I still think Brown is the odds on favorite, but if Powell makes it, it'll be as Splitter insurance (he's no C, but they haven't had a problem in recent years playing 6-9 or under guys, who can't protect the rim, at C). It won't be to compete with Blair and Bonner.

Just a bad take all around.

TD 21
10-04-2012, 08:23 PM
:lol

The Spurs need a true PF less than the other positions? And who are the other PF's on the roster besides Diaw?

You can't seriously be this dumb, can you?

We're talking depth wise, not legit starters. Obviously, they could use an upgrade at starting PF, but do they just need another body at the position? No, because they already have three rotation caliber ones. Whereas at C and SF, they have two.

ElNono
10-04-2012, 08:32 PM
You could say Blair is a severely undersized PF, but there's no way I'm buying Bonner is a PF... he's a perimeter guy on offense and a ghost on defense (especially for what a PF is supposed to bring, like good rebounding or holding their own against opposing PFs or Cs).

HarlemHeat37
10-04-2012, 08:41 PM
The Spurs frontcourt has reached the point of requiring a miraculous contribution from a fringe player, tbh..

Even if Josh Powell or Brown impress in training camp, they don't possess game-changing potential..

The odds of Eddy Curry rejuvenating his career through an epiphany and sudden motivation are very slim..however, he was once a contributor and a top 5 post offensive player in the NBA..he's 7-feet tall and one of the stronger players in the NBA..he has never played for a coach of Pop's caliber and it appears that he's in great shape..

The odds are slim, but the Spurs need to take risks, in addition to hoping for unlikely breakthroughs..Curry has potential that doesn't exist within the other training camp invites, nor within Bonner/Blair/any other available FA big..

If he displays dedication, decent conditioning and any flashes of potential in training camp, sign his fat ass..

benefactor
10-04-2012, 08:46 PM
You can't seriously be this dumb, can you?

We're talking depth wise, not legit starters. Obviously, they could use an upgrade at starting PF, but do they just need another body at the position? No, because they already have three rotation caliber ones. Whereas at C and SF, they have two.
No but you obviously are.

ElNono summed it up nicely. Your bads are bad per your usual. The Spurs have only one real PF. The other two players are not real PF's at all and never have been.

benefactor
10-04-2012, 08:51 PM
So enlighten us...oh great and wise TD21. How do the Spurs reach their goal of again becoming a defensively focused team with two slow-footed, defensively deficient "PF's" backing up Diaw?

benefactor
10-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Just a bad take all around.
I don't know why I bother. He just says a bunch of shit and tries to pass it off as legit. Thankfully it wasn't three full paragraphs of tripe this time.

ElNono
10-04-2012, 08:55 PM
So enlighten us...oh great and wise TD21. How do the Spurs reach their goal of again becoming a defensively focused team with two slow-footed, defensively deficient "PF's" backing up Diaw?

tbh, Diaw might look like an upgrade over Blair and Bonner, but I don't expect him to be an above average defender either... Tim will have to carry the load on that end, and I don't expect him to be enough, per the usual. Tiago will probably have his nights, but at this point you wonder if he's going to break a rib taking a shit.

That's why a guy like Curry is intriguing. Legit 7 footer and strong. The real question with him is: will he care?

TD 21
10-04-2012, 08:57 PM
No but you obviously are.

ElNono summed it up nicely. Your bads are bad per your usual. The Spurs have only one real PF. The other two players are not real PF's at all and never have been.

That was a rhetorical (look it up) question.

"One real PF"? Who cares about semantics? They have three who play the position and they've all proven they're of rotation caliber (even if none should be starters and two shouldn't play more than 10-15 mpg), so depth wise they're fine at the position. But even if they weren't, like I said, Powell won't be in competition with any of them for minutes.

You're delusional if you think Powell making this team would be anything more than Splitter insurance. And by that I don't mean, Splitter goes down, they turn to Powell. I mean, Splitter goes down, they turn to Blair, Powell replaces Blair and is stapled to the bench.

benefactor
10-04-2012, 09:00 PM
tbh, Diaw might look like an upgrade over Blair and Bonner, but I don't expect him to be an above average defender either... Tim will have to carry the load on that end, and I don't expect him to be enough, per the usual. Tiago will probably have his nights, but at this point you wonder if he's going to break a rib taking a shit.

That's why a guy like Curry is intriguing. Legit 7 footer and strong. The real question with him is: will he care?
Diaw looked decent enough from a positional defensive standpoint in his short stint last year. Will he maintain it for a season? We shall see.

The Spurs have needs at both PF and C. They need a big for the inevitable Tiago injury and they need a mobile backup PF that can move his feet and disrupt the pick and roll. If Curry shows enough interest in camp then I'm all for it. Right now from an experience/ability/physical profile standpoint I like Powell to provide some depth at the PF position.

benefactor
10-04-2012, 09:01 PM
"One real PF"? Who cares about semantics? They have three who play the position and they've all proven they're of rotation caliber (even if none should be starters and two shouldn't play more than 10-15 mpg), so depth wise they're fine at the position. But even if they weren't, like I said, Powell won't be in competition with any of them for minutes.

Did you really fucking post this? You are officially the dumbest motherfucker on the planet.

ElNono
10-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Diaw looked decent enough from a positional defensive standpoint in his short stint last year. Will he maintain it for a season? We shall see.

The Spurs have needs at both PF and C. They need a big for the inevitable Tiago injury and they need a mobile backup PF that can move his feet and disrupt the pick and roll. If Curry shows enough interest in camp then I'm all for it. Right now from an experience/ability/physical profile standpoint I like Powell to provide some depth at the PF position.

As I said in the op, I'll gladly take a flyer on Curry/Powell over what Blair or Bonner bring.

TD 21
10-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Did you really fucking post this? You are officially the dumbest motherfucker on the planet.

:lol Pretending to be some laid back, funny guy, then losing it on a message board over nothing
:lol Thinking the Spurs need depth at PF
:lol Not being able to count to three
:lol Thinking Powell is the second coming of Malone
:lol Being well into your 30's and still acting like an immature brat

benefactor
10-04-2012, 09:31 PM
I stand affirmed.

spurs10
10-05-2012, 12:21 AM

The "break a rib" line is one of the funniest lines I've read on here in sometime....:lmao

Gagnrath
10-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Diaw is an average defender, he's surprisingly quick and hard to back-down, he's a positional defender though not an intimidation player or a shot blocker. Bonner is honestly an above average defender in the regular season. Bonner isn't like 2008 where he made anyone with a post game look like an allstar. Allstars still make him look bad but your average starter doesn't anymore. While he's no Rodman or Mutombo he actually gets on fairly well on defense, he just looks horrid doing it in part because we all have the past embarrassments in mind.

Tiago and Blair are the defenders I have questions about. Splitter because the more physical guys shove him around and punish him, and Blair because some people just shoot over him and others are just to fast. He doesn't have the ability to match up with many starting players physically on defense.

TDMVPDPOY
10-06-2012, 12:11 PM
did u guys think we jump the gun to fast in renewing contracts?? now we only have 1-2 spots left on the roster with a guys in camp looking very interesting.....

unless we can ship blair, bonner, splitter, neal....to open up spots

spursince#99
10-06-2012, 12:18 PM
did u guys think we jump the gun to fast in renewing contracts?? now we only have 1-2 spots left on the roster with a guys in camp looking very interesting.....

unless we can ship blair, bonner, splitter, neal....to open up spots

why would you want to ship Neal? He's the purest shooter on a team who lives and dies by the 3 ball.

spursince#99
10-06-2012, 12:23 PM
And we really need a shot blocker who's good at switching the p&r and has fast enough feet to possibly trap the guard. A big presence that can clog up the lane. That's all we need and if we can trade for that I'm willing to give up Neal.

TDMVPDPOY
10-06-2012, 02:41 PM
i dunno how blair, bonner, de colo fits into this roster...

im startin to like curry and powell if they are added to the roster...just for shear size from curry, and the versality of powell who can play the 4+3, with small ball we are able to field guys +6'5 on the court...

splitter/curry
duncan/diaw/powell
kl/jax
gino/green/de colo
parker/neal/mills