PDA

View Full Version : Miguel Cabrera is your first triple crown winner in 45 years

irishock
10-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Trout overrated rookie baserunner who can't push a team with Pujols into the playoffs

Jacob1983
10-04-2012, 01:23 AM
Cabrera should be the MVP.

AussieFanKurt
10-04-2012, 04:14 AM
He should and will

Pelicans78
10-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Trout's team had a better record in a tougher division while the Tigers took advantage of playing in a crappy division. Just because the Angels didn't make the playoffs didn't mean they were the better team. The Angels were the better team and Trout is the better player and had a better season overall. Only voters born in the 1950s think Cabrera should be the MVP.

Amarelooms
10-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Trout is over-rated sons.....triple crown should mean MVP...God bless

:elephant

DarkReign
10-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Trout is a helluva player and the MVP should not be based on anything but this one season.

But how in the hell are you going to justify giving the MVP to:

a) a player whose only stat line that lead the league is stolen bases?
b) a player whose team did not make the playoffs?

I understand his overall game is great/awesome (besides his noodle arm in center), but there is this other guy who lead the league in all 3 major offensive categories. Who also, if you really think about it, plays in a very pitcher-friendly park that would have smoked the second place HR and RBI if he played anywhere else.

I mean, is this still an argument if Cabrera played in Yankee stadium where Curtis-fucking-Granderson apparently has become one of the league's premier power hitters in 3 short years? US Cellular? Coors Field? etc. Nevermind those parks, how about putting Cabrera in any park not named Comerica where the chances of hitting a ball out to left-center, center and right center are about slim and none. Shorten the prches in Comerica by about 20-30ft in those areas and its not even a question, Cabrera would contend for the Triple Crown damn near every year.

I dont think its an exaggeration to say Cabrera hits for average just the same in those parks, but his power numbers and RBIs go through the roof. 50 HRs + 150 RBIs and I think thats being conservative. Is it still an argument when Cabrera laps the field in HR and RBI then?

The Gemini Method
10-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Congrats to Cabrera for being the first person to win the Triple Crown in 45 years...

Playing 16 games against the Indians, Royals, Twins, and the White Sox gave him the best chance to do this. Welcome to the Astros...now we almost have enough fodder in the AL West for the top 3 teams in the division.

Ok, enough sour grapes he did something pretty amazing. He'll probably win the MVP and deservedly so.

lefty
10-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Steroids really work

LnGrrrR
10-05-2012, 02:17 AM
Pretty awesome.

Heath Ledger
10-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Anyone who thinks Trout deserves the MVP is not living in the real world. It's not even close. Fuck the RECENTLY made up WAR stat....

lefty
10-05-2012, 02:19 PM
http://images.askmen.com/money/keywords/steroids_965862.jpg

TheMACHINE
10-05-2012, 03:14 PM
"Thank you Mike Trout and the Angels for sweeping the White Sox 2 weeks ago." - Miguel Cabrera

TheMACHINE
10-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Trout is a helluva player and the MVP should not be based on anything but this one season.

But how in the hell are you going to justify giving the MVP to:

a) a player whose only stat line that lead the league is stolen bases?
b) a player whose team did not make the playoffs?

by all means, i think cabrera will win, but dont make it seem like you cant justify a Trout MVP.

a) Trout leads the leagues in stolen bases and runs....and is ONLY .04 behind in average. He's also the first player in HISTORY to get atleast .320/30 HR/45 SB
b) Trout came in when the Angels were i think 6-14 (correct me if i am wrong)....and the Angels still have a BETTER record then the Tigers and play in a much harder Division. So imo, the whole "playoff" arguement actually makes cabrera look worst.

once again, grats on cabrera, but dont make it seem like its a clear decision.

AussieFanKurt
10-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Christ... No one has a triple crown in 45 years and someone thinks he shouldn't win MVP. I don't know much about his defense but I've heard it's good enough. Cabrera should win it

Clipper Nation
10-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Cabrera sucks balls defensively and the Triple Crown is an arbitrary selection of three flawed stats, tbh.... cool accomplishment? Sure, but not an MVP-decider for me... I think Trout should be the MVP, tbh....

Ryan Fitzpatrick
10-05-2012, 04:12 PM
3 flawed stats? Holy hell I've heard it all now:lmao

yes, the TC criteria should be # of BB, HBP, and infield singles.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
10-05-2012, 04:15 PM
btw, that's what makes Cabrera's TC that much more impressive. Leading the league in batting when he doesn't register cheapies like infield singles and bunt singles. He beasted his way to .330

TheMACHINE
10-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Christ... No one has a triple crown in 45 years and someone thinks he shouldn't win MVP. I don't know much about his defense but I've heard it's good enough. Cabrera should win it

so your saying if he didnt get that ONE extra homerun comapred to hamilton, then he wouldnt get the TC thus making him less likely to be MVP?

irishock
10-05-2012, 05:18 PM
1) Lol at Trout's SB stat- why steal when Cabrera's already there with a 2 run RBI double?
2) Angels have Albert fucking Pujols. Fielder is nowhere near Fatty's level and we don't have VMart

Clipper Nation
10-05-2012, 05:19 PM
3 flawed stats? Holy hell I've heard it all now:lmao

yes, the TC criteria should be # of BB, HBP, and infield singles.
HR: not really meaningful in judging a player especially in the post-roid era.... ISO is better at quantifying power anyway

RBI: dependent on who's around you in the lineup

Batting average: not adjusted for park factors, defense, leverage, or just plain luck

TheMACHINE
10-05-2012, 05:48 PM
1) Lol at Trout's SB stat- why steal when Cabrera's already there with a 2 run RBI double?
2) Angels have Albert fucking Pujols. Fielder is nowhere near Fatty's level and we don't have VMart

lol .04 avg more then Trout
Lead off position - Trout leads in runs; #3 in Line up - Miggy leads in RBI
lol Trout missing 20 games only has 14 less HR's then Miggy.

Offensively, Trout is closer to Miguel....defensively, Miggy cant even sniff Trout's jock.

LnGrrrR
10-05-2012, 08:48 PM
so your saying if he didnt get that ONE extra homerun comapred to hamilton, then he wouldnt get the TC thus making him less likely to be MVP?

Yes, honestly.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
10-05-2012, 08:49 PM
HR: not really meaningful in judging a player especially in the post-roid era.... ISO is better at quantifying power anyway

RBI: dependent on who's around you in the lineup

Batting average: not adjusted for park factors, defense, leverage, or just plain luck

If hitting, RBIs and HRs are flawed TC stats, please provide 3 others:lmao

irishock
10-05-2012, 09:30 PM
lol .04 avg more then Trout
Lead off position - Trout leads in runs; #3 in Line up - Miggy leads in RBI
lol Trout missing 20 games only has 14 less HR's then Miggy.

Offensively, Trout is closer to Miguel....defensively, Miggy cant even sniff Trout's jock.

Only one player is close to the ring right now:lol

Pelicans78
10-05-2012, 11:20 PM
RBI is a flawed stat. Depends on teammates heavily. CN is right about that.

Also, Trout's team had a better record. The Angels had one of the best records in the league since Trout arrived.

Batting average and RBIs aren't that important anymore compared. While Trout had a higher OBP, Miggy had a higher SLG and OPS. Trout was 2nd in OPS and 3rd in SLG.

Basically, Miggy was the superior hitter while Trout was the superior defender and base-runner which isn't that important. Both guys have a great case either way.

ducks
10-05-2012, 11:37 PM
both have more protection in the lineup then any other player

Clipper Nation
10-06-2012, 11:37 AM
wOBA, wRC, and total bases, tbh.... this would reward hitters who are dominant at getting on base and creating runs, instead of rewarding those who just make the most out of what their teammates give them....

gaKNOW!blee
10-06-2012, 03:13 PM
RBI's are overrated...you can ground out to second and get an RBI.

scampers
10-08-2012, 03:01 PM
A ground out to second that generates a run is still a run.. Runs win ballgames. But yeah. There are too many stats in baseball, tbh. Trout and Miggy are both great players. I'd vote for Miggy because a.) I'm a Tigers fan and there's no way around that, and b.) he had a monster run in the end of the season to push the Tigers into the postseason. Trout's a great player and has done some amazing things, but in the end Miggy was more valuable to his team than Trout was to his this season.

DarkReign
10-08-2012, 03:29 PM
HRs, RBIs and AVG are now overrated stats. RIP Triple Crown 1869-2012.

Folks, I leave you to your own thoughts on that one.

TheMACHINE
10-08-2012, 05:55 PM
tbh, Prince Fielder is MVP for two years now.

dbreiden83080
10-15-2012, 11:35 PM

He deserves the MVP but the Triple Crown is a bit flawed in terms of putting it into historical perspective. Babe Ruth never won a triple crown in spite of numerous seasons where he hit over 340 with 40 plus HR and over 140 RBI's... .356/60/164 his best year...

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-16-2012, 08:52 AM
^I'm not sure how that means the triple crown is flawed, it just means the triple crown is extremely hard to win seeing that Ruth was a monster for years and never won it.

ChuckD
10-17-2012, 10:13 PM
He deserves the MVP but the Triple Crown is a bit flawed in terms of putting it into historical perspective. Babe Ruth never won a triple crown in spite of numerous seasons where he hit over 340 with 40 plus HR and over 140 RBI's... .356/60/164 his best year...

I think you just made Cabrera's MVP case. Everyone plays in their own era, and if a GREAT hitter like Ruth never won one in his, then winning one is a MASSIVE accomplishment.