PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Free Agency

lcroock
10-05-2012, 11:57 AM
If Manu re-ups for something like 2 year $16M that should leave us enough to go after an all star caliber player. I think Josh Smith might be the target since he is the best unrestricted FA available. Who do you guys want to sign? Monta Elis is another top URFA.

Signing Manu to $8M annually put us at roughly $46M and with a cap of $57-$58 (hopefully) a salary starting at $10M/$11M should be attractive enough. Maybe the Spurs can structure it so that he gets less the first year, further opening up another 1M or 2M??

Drom John
10-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Josh Smith is staying with the Hawks for the max.
Manu savings will be offered to Splitter.

TD 21
10-05-2012, 05:45 PM
If Manu re-ups for something like 2 year $16M that should leave us enough to go after an all star caliber player. I think Josh Smith might be the target since he is the best unrestricted FA available. Who do you guys want to sign? Monta Elis is another top URFA.

Signing Manu to $8M annually put us at roughly $46M and with a cap of $57-$58 (hopefully) a salary starting at $10M/$11M should be attractive enough. Maybe the Spurs can structure it so that he gets less the first year, further opening up another 1M or 2M??

Based on my projections, barring a trade, they'll be at $52-53M. This presumes the following: Ginobili re-signs for $8-9M, Splitters for $6M, Jackson for $3M, Joseph's 3rd year option is picked up, the 1st round pick is retained and Blair and Neal are not re-signed. It's unclear whether they'll keep Bonner or not, but if they buy him out before his contract becomes fully guaranteed, that number would drop to $48-49M.

Smith and Millsap are the best realistic candidates in free agency (I'd add Gibson, but it would take an insane offer for the Bulls to not match). Smith is obviously the ideal candidate. The problem is, he's going to get a massive contract. Would the Spurs pay that for someone who, as good as he is, might be their fifth option offensively?

CGD
10-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Spurs would have to severely overpay to lure an urfa next summer. Best bet is to trade cap relief this year for a player who already has multiple years on his contract. The extra cap space can be used to absorb some of the extra salary.

CGD
10-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Spurs would have to severely overpay to lure an urfa next summer. Best bet is to trade cap relief this year for a player who already has multiple years on his contract. The extra cap space can be used to absorb some of the extra salary.

For example if the Grizz, who are over the cap, are concerned with their cap situation, they could trade Marc Gasol's 3 year contract for Jax, Splitter, and Neal/Blair to get about 15m in relief this summer.

racm
10-06-2012, 09:07 PM
For example if the Grizz, who are over the cap, are concerned with their cap situation, they could trade Marc Gasol's 3 year contract for Jax, Splitter, and Neal/Blair to get about 15m in relief this summer.

Unless they park Fat Gasol on the bench as TD's replacement the trade doesn't make sense.

CGD
10-06-2012, 09:29 PM
I think Tim And Marc could work well especially since Marc has some range. But Marc aside, my point is that his is the type of contract that the spurs could take back in a trade and be able to use their cap flexibility in years to come. I just don't see us landing a player in free agency without grossly over paying.

Hoops Czar
10-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Based on my projections, barring a trade, they'll be at $52-53M. This presumes the following: Ginobili re-signs for $8-9M, Splitters for $6M, Jackson for $3M, Joseph's 3rd year option is picked up, the 1st round pick is retained and Blair and Neal are not re-signed. It's unclear whether they'll keep Bonner or not, but if they buy him out before his contract becomes fully guaranteed, that number would drop to $48-49M.

Smith and Millsap are the best realistic candidates in free agency (I'd add Gibson, but it would take an insane offer for the Bulls to not match). Smith is obviously the ideal candidate. The problem is, he's going to get a massive contract. Would the Spurs pay that for someone who, as good as he is, might be their fifth option offensively?

You know that they won't and he wouldn't sign with the Spurs anyway. He'll be a Mav or Laker. It's all dependent on where Howard ends up.