PDA

View Full Version : Spurs to extend Ginobili this season?

TD 21
10-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Julian Mozo: #NBA A little bird from San Antonio tells me the Spurs are seriously considering extending Manu Ginobili's contract this season (http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media_spanish.html). Twitter (http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media_spanish.html)Julian (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=9286)Mozo

If true, not surprising. I always thought he'd re-sign for 2 years (2nd year player option) at $16-18M and ride off into the sunset alongside Duncan. The timing is interesting though, considering he sounded on media day as if he'd play out the season before making a decision on whether to continue playing.

Leetonidas
10-05-2012, 05:16 PM
If they resign him I doubt he's going to be making more than Tim, I'm sure he understands the flexibility issue as well. However based on his history and the fact that he is injury prone makes me think they will probably wait til the end of the season, unless he really plays out of his mind and is durable. He wasn't great in the playoffs except for 1 game against the Clips that I can remember

Leetonidas
10-05-2012, 05:17 PM
but two more guaranteed years of the big three makes me happy :)

yavozerb
10-05-2012, 05:19 PM
2 yrs at 16 mil for Manu sounds about right if he indeed returns.

lurker23
10-05-2012, 05:20 PM
I thought Manu might play out the season, see how his mind and body were feeling, then decide if he wanted to retire or not. However, if he feels there a 90%+ chance he'll be back next season, extending him makes a lot of sense. This would give the Spurs more solid numbers to work with in regards to next year's salary cap space, and could impact how they handle trades throughout the season.

cd98
10-05-2012, 05:32 PM
How will it affect Jackson if Manu gets an extension?

elemento
10-05-2012, 05:45 PM
That's great news

He will probably get a 2y/contract with a PO in the 2nd year.

Libri
10-05-2012, 05:48 PM
This was made possible by Tim's pay cut. The Spurs are now in position to offer Manu a contract and match any deals for Splitter in the future, when he becomes a restricted free agent.

Bruno
10-05-2012, 06:06 PM
I have some serious doubts the credibility of this given it comes out the same day as an pure speculation article from hoopsworld saying that Spurs might gave Ginobili an extension at some point of the season.

Don't get too excited by this no-news.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-05-2012, 06:18 PM
In fairness, Mozo is a published journalist and not a fan blogger. The man does have contacts.

timvp
10-05-2012, 06:52 PM
The only reason the Spurs haven't extended Ginobili already is that they can't extend him prior to April 9th (as stipulated in the CBA -- they have to wait three years from the prior extension to extend him again). Once April 9th comes and Ginobili is reasonably healthy and there's no reason for him to want to hang it up, I fully expect he signs a two-year extension between $14M and $16M.

baseline bum
10-05-2012, 07:00 PM
The only reason the Spurs haven't extended Ginobili already is that they can't extend him prior to April 9th (as stipulated in the CBA -- they have to wait three years from the prior extension to extend him again). Once April 9th comes and Ginobili is reasonably healthy and there's no reason for him to want to hang it up, I fully expect he signs a two-year extension between $14M and $16M.

That cheap? I mean Kris Kardashian signed a 2 year, $24 million deal.

yavozerb
10-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Kris is 8 yrs younger, plays for a russian billionaire, and is coming off a double double season...

baseline bum
10-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Kris is 8 yrs younger, plays for a russian billionaire, and is coming off a double double season...

Emptiest stats ever.

timvp
10-05-2012, 07:14 PM
^ If Manu has a good year and then wants to test free agency, I'm sure he could get more than that $14-16M. But I think that's the amount he'll agree to if/when he extends. The Spurs will point to Duncan having ~$20M left and will want Ginobili to come in less than that. With Ginobili saying he's not really concerned about cashing in again, I think both sides will gladly settle in that $14-16M range.

I really don't see a scenario in which Ginobili doesn't sign an extension (health permitting). He's always been pretty fair with his contract dealings and the absolute most I can imagine him demanding is $20M over two years. If you're the Spurs front office, even that price tag is reasonable and better than the alternative of him hitting the open market. If Steve Nash, who is 3+ years older than Ginobili, can get $27M over three seasons, you don't let Ginobili hit free agency and risk someone throwing a huge contract at him.

ElNono
10-05-2012, 07:26 PM
If they resign him I doubt he's going to be making more than Tim, I'm sure he understands the flexibility issue as well. However based on his history and the fact that he is injury prone makes me think they will probably wait til the end of the season, unless he really plays out of his mind and is durable. He wasn't great in the playoffs except for 1 game against the Clips that I can remember

Game 1 against OKC was probably his best game of the playoffs, IIRC.

ElNono
10-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Manu will retire a Spur. The only thing that could prevent him signing an extension is either the Spurs not wanting to extend him (unlikely) or him wanting to hang them up and spend time with his kids.

Bruno
10-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Nice catch for the April 9th restriction, timvp. It quite shuts down this "rumor".

Spurs best interest might be to let Ginobili hitting free agency instead of giving him an extension because it will give them more flexibility. For example, they could gave him a 3 years contract with a lower yearly salary to have more cap-space next summer.

ElNono
10-05-2012, 07:34 PM
I have some serious doubts the credibility of this given it comes out the same day as an pure speculation article from hoopsworld saying that Spurs might gave Ginobili an extension at some point of the season.

Julian Mozo is the sport journalist in charge of NBA coverage for Diario Ole, one of the most important sports publications in Argentina. He's also written articles for the spanish section of NBA.com (http://www.nba.com/enebea/blog/manu_debe_cambiar.html).

He himself mentions it as a rumor, but I doubt there's any connection with hoopsworld.

ElNono
10-05-2012, 07:39 PM
nv, found it.

Bruno
10-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Julian Mozo is the sport journalist in charge of NBA coverage for Diario Ole, one of the most important sports publications in Argentina. He's also written articles for the spanish section of NBA.com (http://www.nba.com/enebea/blog/manu_debe_cambiar.html).

He himself mentions it as a rumor, but I doubt there's any connection with hoopsworld.

This story pops up the same day as a hoopsworld pure speculation article about it. Odds are extremely low that are no links between both.

On top of that, Ginobili can't sign an extension before about 6 months. It makes no sense for Spurs to "seriously consider" extending Manu now while tons of things will happen between now and the first day they could extend him.

ElNono
10-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Notice he says "this season"... not necessarily right away...

ElNono
10-05-2012, 07:47 PM
This story pops up the same day as a hoopsworld pure speculation article about it. Odds are extremely low that are no links between both.

All I'm saying is Julian Mozo has a direct line to Ginobili and his agent. I would find it pretty unlikely he needs to rely on hoopsworld for something like that. That's all.

ducks
10-05-2012, 11:31 PM
2 more years he will be lucky to play half the game
him getting more then 14 million will be so stupid
spurs are not the lakers and have a huge payroll

TMTTRIO
10-06-2012, 12:44 AM
Manu will retire a Spur. The only thing that could prevent him signing an extension is either the Spurs not wanting to extend him (unlikely) or him wanting to hang them up and spend time with his kids.
I actually think Manu will want to wait to see how he feels after the season is over. I think it'll depend on both his health and how the Spurs do this season too. I know he wants to start spending a lot of time with his kids while they're still young. Like he said earlier he hasn't really seen them much.

spurs1990
10-06-2012, 12:47 AM
I'm torn. Don't want to see these guys play for other teams but still would like to prepare for the future and bring in some young guys to develop and then take the reigns.

baseline bum
10-06-2012, 01:03 AM
I'm torn. Don't want to see these guys play for other teams but still would like to prepare for the future and bring in some young guys to develop and then take the reigns.

I don't like signing free agents to be cornerstones in our situation. Only teams in highly desirable markets like LA and Miami can build winners through free agency. The rest of the league gets hosed by it like Detroit with Villenueva and Gordon, since any really good player is either locked up by his team beforehand or matched as a restricted free agent. The Spurs will only be able to successfully rebuild through the draft, thanks to the league's rules on restricted free agency. I'd offer Manu $30 million for two years before I'd go hugely overpay for young guys whose respective teams don't really want them anymore. Every once in a while you could luck out and get a Joe Johnson like Atlanta did from Phoenix, but for the most part building a team other than the Lakers, Knicks, or Heat through free agency is for suckers. I mean, look at Houston's summer and the crap they got for the price they paid, and they're a far more desirable market than San Antonio for almost any free agent in the league. Not even Dallas could do shit with their capspace a year off a title and with a filthy rich owner.

Man In Black
10-06-2012, 01:50 AM
I don't like signing free agents to be cornerstones in our situation. Only teams in highly desirable markets like LA and Miami can build winners through free agency. The rest of the league gets hosed by it like Detroit with Villenueva and Gordon, since any really good player is either locked up by his team beforehand or matched as a restricted free agent. The Spurs will only be able to successfully rebuild through the draft, thanks to the league's rules on restricted free agency. I'd offer Manu $30 million for two years before I'd go hugely overpay for young guys whose respective teams don't really want them anymore. Every once in a while you could luck out and get a Joe Johnson like Atlanta did from Phoenix, but for the most part building a team other than the Lakers, Knicks, or Heat through free agency is for suckers. I mean, look at Houston's summer and the crap they got for the price they paid, and they're a far more desirable market than San Antonio for almost any free agent in the league. Not even Dallas could do shit with their capspace a year off a title and with a filthy rich owner.

Exactly!!!

Fuck Big Market or Big TV...The Spurs don't play it like those guys.

TDMVPDPOY
10-06-2012, 03:34 AM
2 more years of the big3, means 2 more years of KL playin behind these 3 clowns...fck that shit, KL should bolt when his a FA

racm
10-06-2012, 05:39 AM
2 more years of the big3, means 2 more years of KL playin behind these 3 clowns...fck that shit, KL should bolt when his a FA

Solid takes as always.

rascal
10-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Manu's game is going to get uglier with each passing year. The Spurs are not winning in the near future with 2 of their so called big 3 core getting close to 40. Just bring back the same team every year and watch the team fall down the standings. That is the road the Spurs are choosing.

ploto
10-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Nice catch for the April 9th restriction, timvp. It quite shuts down this "rumor".

Rumor just says this season.

ChuckD
10-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Manu's game is going to get uglier with each passing year. The Spurs are not winning in the near future with 2 of their so called big 3 core getting close to 40. Just bring back the same team every year and watch the team fall down the standings. That is the road the Spurs are choosing.

You have NO IDEA how bad this team will have to get just to get the building blocks to get back to even being a borderline contender like they are now. It'll take 2-3 SOLID drafts of top 3-5 picks with NO misses due to character or health, and then 3-4 years of development and bonding.

Don't be in a fucking rush for that to happen. It's going to make the period between Ice and DRob seem like the blink of an eye. We'll find out who the REAL Spurs fans are then.

Mark in Austin
10-06-2012, 09:01 AM
I don't like signing free agents to be cornerstones in our situation. Only teams in highly desirable markets like LA and Miami can build winners through free agency. ...I mean, look at Houston's summer and the crap they got for the price they paid, and they're a far more desirable market than San Antonio for almost any free agent in the league. Not even Dallas could do shit with their capspace a year off a title and with a filthy rich owner.

TBH, Look at Houston for the last couple years. Morey has been trying to bring in a max player for a while now with no luck. The odds of a max quality FA looking to sign in a market like SA are so small it's not a stratergy worth pursuing.

bthewigwam
10-06-2012, 12:11 PM
I had the feeling already but good to hear timvp say it. Manu is staying in SA for less than Duncan cuz he knows the deal and he wants to win. I'd be ecstatic if he signed in the 14-16 range for two more years. I don't live in SA but I'd commit to making it down there for two more years to watch those two clean up. Where do I sign?

FuzzyLumpkins
10-07-2012, 10:36 PM
The Spurs' last regular season game is April 17.

KL2
10-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Manu addressed his contract in a recent interview on BR, from what I can remember he said he really doesn't care how much money he will earn should he decide not to retire. He said he's satisfied with the money he's earned in his career, and that if he were to play fir an NBA team it'd be the Spurs. I really think the Spurs could get him for VERY cheap should he not retire next year.

TDMVPDPOY
10-08-2012, 12:23 AM
dunno how much he get, but that will decide how much jax would want to get also...

ChuckD
10-08-2012, 07:38 AM
dunno how much he get, but that will decide how much jax would want to get also...

No. Manu is a former all NBA player and All Star. Jack is a journeyman who has burned his bridges pretty much everywhere he's been. If Manu signs for $7-8M per season, Jack can only hope to get Diaw money.

Axegrinder
10-08-2012, 12:27 PM
ya, jax is no manu

therealtruth
10-08-2012, 07:46 PM
No. Manu is a former all NBA player and All Star. Jack is a journeyman who has burned his bridges pretty much everywhere he's been. If Manu signs for $7-8M per season, Jack can only hope to get Diaw money.

It's funny how just before last season Jax was saying that an extension was mandatory.

Gagnrath
10-09-2012, 07:59 AM
Jackson's real issues seem to be as much his agent being a brash moron, and himself not quite knowing that he is the one who is his agents boss, as himself being a bad teammate and problem.

SpurNation
10-09-2012, 09:15 AM
, as himself being a bad teammate and problem.

I don't think that has bearing as far as being on the Spurs. Jackson's time whether his first stint or this has proven to not be the case. And regarding salary, if he (and/or his agent) was "smart" enough in his career to get a huge salary, I'm sure he's smart enough to know he won't be getting a Ginobili type of salary in the twilight of his career. And if he does...it won't be with the Spurs.

Drom John
10-09-2012, 12:42 PM
In my mind, this summer Duncan was in the room while the front office made the offers to De Colo, Diaw, and Mills, and in the discussion about Lorbek. Then Duncan signed for the leftovers.

I see Ginobili in the room next year as the front office discusses Splitter, Jackson, Spurs draft and stashes (Hanga, Sankidze, et al.) and other free agents. Then Ginobili signs for the leftovers.

therealtruth
10-09-2012, 07:00 PM
I don't think that has bearing as far as being on the Spurs. Jackson's time whether his first stint or this has proven to not be the case. And regarding salary, if he (and/or his agent) was "smart" enough in his career to get a huge salary, I'm sure he's smart enough to know he won't be getting a Ginobili type of salary in the twilight of his career. And if he does...it won't be with the Spurs.

Not necessarily. It's just that if he wants to get a bigger salary he will have to go to a bad team.

patricknapier
10-09-2012, 08:36 PM
2 yrs at 16 mil for Manu sounds about right if he indeed returns.

He is getting paid 16mil just to bounce a ball and throw it into a hoop?

These athletes are getting overpaid to play one of the safest sports on the planet. It's absurd in my opinion.