PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Ludden: Majority of the Spurs' core players should be back

Manu20
06-26-2005, 12:12 PM
Majority of the Spurs' core players should be back
Web Posted: 06/26/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062605.1C.BKNspurs.main.aa8723f.html

Introduced one by one, sun-baked from a River Walk parade, the Spurs soaked up the roar of their fans. Together, they celebrated the franchise's third NBA championship long into Saturday night.

For the second time in three years, the Spurs' season led them to the center of the Alamodome. If they are to return another 12 months from now — an event that could confirm their status as a dynasty — they will, for the most part, do so together.

Of the seven players who played significant minutes in the seventh game of the NBA Finals, only Robert Horry will become a free agent this week.

"In years past, we've lost six, seven, eight, nine guys and rebuilt," Tim Duncan said. "I think we've really got a core here that we're in love with.

"We have a team that will be able, in years to come, to try to continue to get back to this point."

Duncan, the core of the Spurs' core, is under contract for at least three and, up to, five more seasons. Manu Ginobili just completed the first season of a six-year, $52 million deal. Tony Parker is about to begin a six-year, $66 million extension.

Bruce Bowen and Brent Barry have three more seasons left on their contracts. Nazr Mohammed, who became the team's starting center during the playoffs after being acquired midseason from New York, has one year remaining.

"Now we know who we want to establish the future," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "It's a matter of continuing to fit pieces around them."

The Spurs hope to keep Horry as one of those pieces. Though Horry will turn 35 in August, he had enough spring in his legs to average 9.3 points and 5.4 rebounds in the playoffs. He made 44.7 percent of his 3-pointers, none more important than the winning one with 5.8 seconds left in overtime of Game 5.

Having earned a raise, either from the Spurs or someone else, Horry is expected to decline the $1.1 million option in his contract.

Devin Brown, one of the team's most productive reserves until he injured his back in late March, will be a restricted free agent, allowing the Spurs to match any offer he receives up to the midlevel exception. Brown would like to return, though his health will determine his value.

The Spurs will try to make Argentina's Luis Scola, a second-round pick from 2002 who is playing for Spain's Tau Ceramica, one of their significant additions this summer. A physical, 6-foot-9 forward, the 24-year-old Scola would like to join the Spurs. Money will determine whether their partnership becomes a reality.

Unlike previous summers, the Spurs don't have salary-cap room. To re-sign Horry and add Scola or any free agents, they will be limited to using the $4.9 million mid-level exception and $1.6 million exception. The exact value of the two exceptions won't be determined until the league finalizes its new collective bargaining agreement on July 22.

The Spurs have until Thursday to decide whether to pick up Linton Johnson III's $700,000 option. Johnson spent almost the entire season on the injured list while recovering from a stress fracture in his left foot. If the Spurs don't keep him, they hope to find another young, athletic small forward for Bowen to mentor.

Whether through Tuesday's draft (the team has the No. 28 pick), free agency or via a trade, the Spurs also may try to improve their depth at point guard. Beno Udrih, last year's first-round pick, did little to win the faith of his coaches with his play during the Finals. Mike Wilks, who lacks Udrih's shooting touch and size, but is tougher, will be a free agent. If the Spurs choose not to re-sign him, he likely won't have to look long for a job.

Rasho Nesterovic, who has four years and almost $30 million remaining on his contract, lost his starting position to Mohammed after he sprained his left ankle near the end of the season. If team officials decide Mohammed is skilled enough to keep the position — and Scola is signed — they might try to assess Nesterovic's trade value.

Sean Marks, popular among his teammates and coaches, might be asked back. Well-traveled veteran Tony Massenburg, like Marks, is a free agent.

Popovich and Spurs general manager R.C. Buford also may have a couple of holes to fill on their staffs. Danny Ferry, the team's director of basketball operations, has spent the past two days negotiating whether to become one of Cleveland's top executives. Avery Johnson phoned Popovich on Saturday to discuss adding Spurs scout Joe Prunty to his coaching staff.

"Each summer brings its own challenges and opportunities," Buford said, "so we still have plenty of work left."

After playing for Team USA the previous two summers, Duncan will spend the next three months resting, or as much as someone can rest with a newborn in his house. Duncan and his wife, Amy, are expecting their first child soon. The wives of Bowen, Mohammed and Marks also have children due.

Parker will play for France in the European Championships. Nesterovic will represent Slovenia. Udrih could end up on one of the Spurs' summer-league teams if he decides not to join Nesterovic.

Ginobili will return to Argentina this week. Like Duncan, he hopes to get some rest. Though Ginobili established himself as an All-Star this season, the Spurs believe he will only get better.

"I don't think we've even scratched the surface with him," Duncan said. "He's got so much to him. He just plays with reckless abandon. He doesn't care the time or the situation. He doesn't care if it's a preseason game or it's a Finals game. He plays the same way.

"He's going to continue to grow and we're going to continue to grow around him."

In the past 12 months, Ginobili has gotten married, signed a lucrative contract and won an Olympic gold medal. On Saturday night, he celebrated his second NBA championship.

"It's been an unbelievable year," Ginobili said. "But, you know, this continues, and we're going to try to repeat it."

T Park
06-26-2005, 12:35 PM
Great.

What was all that about Horry "Not being about the money"

classic..........

T Park
06-26-2005, 12:36 PM
Avery Johnson phoned Popovich on Saturday to discuss adding Spurs scout Joe Prunty to his coaching staff

Tell Avery to get fucked Pop.

NCaliSpurs
06-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Horry deserves to get paid.

Don't be a hater.

sickdsm
06-26-2005, 12:39 PM
Great.

classic..........

So in other words, His word is no good?

Mr. Body
06-26-2005, 12:39 PM
Great.

The guy has the rest of his life to worry about, too. Ingrate.

T Park
06-26-2005, 12:50 PM
The guy has the rest of his life to worry about, too

he was makin 5 mill a year for about 4 or 5 years before he came to the Spurs....

Whatever.

The Spurs dont have much to give him.

So if hes looking for more than 2 or 3 a year, hes more than likely gone.

MannyIsGod
06-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Horry will be back. You can be such a judgemental son of a bitch sometimes, Tpark. The man just gave you another ring, cut him some slack. He's not going to demand a huge amount, but I think he deserves to get paid.

I'm wondering why the article had absolutely no input on Glen Robinson, he's a pretty big free agent we have.

T Park
06-26-2005, 01:21 PM
You can be such a judgemental son of a bitch sometimes, Tpark.

First off,

someone last night said what I said

"He wont want bigger money"

I agree, give him a 2 or 3 million dollar deal, wich is what the Spurs may offer.

So slow the fuck down.

Samr
06-26-2005, 01:21 PM
I wonder what the status is on Alex Garcia. He's an extremely athletic pointguard, if only he has healed up yet.

I expect to see Beno and Rasho in trade talks, and I will not be disappointed to see either of them leave. Mike Wilks is a strong, defensively-minded pointguard. Hopefully they'll tag him before someone else does.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2005, 01:23 PM
To re-sign Horry and add Scola or any free agents, they will be limited to using the $4.9 million mid-level exception and $1.6 million exception.Untrue. The Spurs have Early-Bird rights for Horry, which could get him a contract equal to the MLE without using it.

The Spurs signed Danny Ferry to a full early Bird deal guaranteed for one season; they'll do the same for Horry -- maybe with a team option on year two..

FromWayDowntown
06-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Tell Avery to get fucked Pop.

Yeah, I mean screw giving Joe Prunty a chance to advance his career or anything. That would be pure class from Popovich and the Spurs.

Lighten up, man. The Spurs have routinely allowed coaches and scouts to seek better opportunities in other cities (Paul Pressey, Mario Elie, Mike Brown, Kevin Pritchard, etc. . .) and somehow, have stayed right at the top of the league for 7 seasons.

T Park
06-26-2005, 01:24 PM
I wonder what the status is on Alex Garcia.

hes got a bad knee, and wasn't that great to begin with.

Mike Wilks is a strong, defensively-minded pointguard. Hopefully they'll tag him before someone else does.

Mike Wilks is what he is, a mediocre to below mediocre point guard, who is undersized, and is a bad shooter.

Those are a dime a dozen, no need to worry about "bringing him back"

T Park
06-26-2005, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I mean screw giving Joe Prunty a chance to advance his career or anything.

Yeah, i mean, lose one of your best guys to a interdivision rival.

SHit, promote him to assistant coach if thats all it takes, add a guy to the bench then.

FromWayDowntown
06-26-2005, 01:33 PM
Yeah, i mean, lose one of your best guys to a interdivision rival.

SHit, promote him to assistant coach if thats all it takes, add a guy to the bench then.

What difference does it make that the Mavericks are a division rival (what the hell is an "interdivision" rival)? By that logic, the Spurs should deny access to any team in the West, too. This isn't some run-of-the-mill business where opportunities will open up all of the time; there are a limited number of jobs and fewer openings. If you want to maintain your status as an organization that does things the right way, you allow guys to explore their options to seek better positions.

Besides, if Pop denied permission, Prunty could just resign his position and go talk to Dallas anyway.

baseline bum
06-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Just don't ever let Budenholzer walk.

BTW, when someone scores 18 points after the beginning of the fourth in game 5 of the NBA Finals while hitting the game-winner I'd say he's worth a lot more than $1.1 million.

T Park
06-26-2005, 01:58 PM
BTW, when someone scores 18 points after the beginning of the fourth in game 5 of the NBA Finals while hitting the game-winner I'd say he's worth a lot more than $1.1 million.

I agree 100%, it depends on what the Spurs give him though.

What difference does it make that the Mavericks are a division rival (what the hell is an "interdivision" rival)? By that logic, the Spurs should deny access to any team in the West, too. This isn't some run-of-the-mill business where opportunities will open up all of the time; there are a limited number of jobs and fewer openings. If you want to maintain your status as an organization that does things the right way, you allow guys to explore their options to seek better positions.

no question but this is a slippery slope to keep losing your good guys.

Promote prunty and give him a raise, keep your guys and keep the vultures away.

I betcha the Patriots loved losing their defensive head guy and their offensive head guy in one shot...

Kori Ellis
06-26-2005, 02:14 PM
Why do you think that Prunty is one of their best guys? It's not like he's Sam Presti. Prunty was a video tape guy for the Spurs just like two years ago. I say let him go if he wants to go.

The two guys that the Spurs should never let go are Presti and Mike Bud.

T Park
06-26-2005, 02:16 PM
How come you never hear anyone asking for Budenholzer????

Seriously,

you hear about Newman and Denver

PJ and head coaching.

Now prunty.

You also never hear about Presti.

Presti I agree, was he not the one that suggested Beno?

timvp
06-26-2005, 02:19 PM
I hate Joe Prunty. I used to play basketball with him and he was a little biotch. He always called fouls and whined all the time. One time I blocked his three-pointer and he said I tried to undercut him :flipoff

Cuban can have him.

timvp
06-26-2005, 02:21 PM
How come you never hear anyone asking for Budenholzer????

Mike Bud is Pop's right hand man. I don't think he'd ever leave unless he got a head coaching gig, which is unlikely because I think he's kept under the radar on purpose.

On the other hand, it seems like Pop does all he can to get PJ a head job.

Kori Ellis
06-26-2005, 02:21 PM
You also never hear about Presti.

Presti I agree, was he not the one that suggested Beno?

Teams would die to get Presti. Presti is the genius behind all the Spurs moves. Presti is the one that brought the tape of Tony Parker to Pop/RC and forced them to give him a look. He also had a lot to do with many of the Spurs latest drafts and free agent pickups. Presti will probably end up replacing RC as GM eventually. He's a prodigy.

T Park
06-26-2005, 02:27 PM
Mike Bud is Pop's right hand man. I don't think he'd ever leave unless he got a head coaching gig, which is unlikely because I think he's kept under the radar on purpose.

thats suprising.

But he does run the summer league teams.

If he is pop's right hand guy, he is kept WAYYYYY under the radar.

T Park
06-26-2005, 02:30 PM
Teams would die to get Presti. Presti is the genius behind all the Spurs moves. Presti is the one that brought the tape of Tony Parker to Pop/RC and forced them to give him a look. He also had a lot to do with many of the Spurs latest drafts and free agent pickups. Presti will probably end up replacing RC as GM eventually. He's a prodigy.

Spurs oughtta offer him a good size contract.

Spurs keep winning, other teams are gonna want to go after guys like Bud, and Presti, thats what has me worried.

T Park
06-26-2005, 02:32 PM
I hate Joe Prunty. I used to play basketball with him and he was a little biotch. He always called fouls and whined all the time. One time I blocked his three-pointer and he said I tried to undercut him

Cuban can have him.

lol

notice TIMVP judges guys by how he plays ball with em.

TJ Parker stinks

Prunty is a stooge

no offense TIMVP i just found that funny...

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 02:32 PM
The Spurs will be able to bring Horry back. Even Holt Cat will find it hard to come up with a reason why they can't afford him at the rate of 2 years and $8 to 10 mil total.

Rasho will be probably be on the trade block. As much as I think the Spurs should have some serious frontcourt depth, the decision will be Nazr or Rasho long term, not both.

I didn't realize that the Spurs will have the $1 million (actually $1.6 million) exception this summer. That could come in handy.

T Park
06-26-2005, 02:36 PM
Rasho will be probably be on the trade block. As much as I think the Spurs should have some serious frontcourt depth, the decision will be Nazr or Rasho long term, not both

True, and if its the case, Nazr is the no brainer.

Same age, twice the player.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 02:41 PM
I just wish the Spurs would pay to have some real frontcourt depth. We've seen that come in handy this season. As much as Rasho is lacking in certain areas he's one of the best backup centers in the NBA. And it's not like his contract is terrible for a serviceable big.

Spurs need to pay to ensure that they maximize the rest of Duncan's career...

T Park
06-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Agreed.

Front court depth is nothing to sneeze at.

Detroit for one prob has the best front court depth in the league.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-26-2005, 03:11 PM
I'd love to get Shark boy over her e this summer. But he decided to play overseas again, didn't he.

Fuck!

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Whether through Tuesday's draft (the team has the No. 28 pick), free agency or via a trade, the Spurs also may try to improve their depth at point guard. Beno Udrih, last year's first-round pick, did little to win the faith of his coaches with his play during the Finals. Mike Wilks, who lacks Udrih's shooting touch and size, but is tougher, will be a free agent. If the Spurs choose not to re-sign him, he likely won't have to look long for a job.

I think we've got all the depth at the point we need with Barry under contract for the next three years.

Chump beat me to it - we've got Early Bird Rights on Horry, that's a non-issue from where I sit.

Floating Rasho out there is interesting - looks like the Spurs are already assessing his trade value :lol

But I think that's dangerous unless you know you've got Nazr extended and Scola signed, sealed, and delivered.

And as long as Detroit and Miami are out there, I don't like the idea of throwing away front court depth, unless you can get a really good deal out of sending out Rasho.

timvp
06-26-2005, 03:43 PM
Untrue. The Spurs have Early-Bird rights for Horry

Are you sure? Didn't the Spurs renounce him last year? Wouldn't that effect his EB rights?

Questions.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2005, 03:49 PM
By renouncing a player, a team gives up its right until the following June 30 to use the Larry Bird, Early Bird, or Non-Bird exceptions (see question number 17 ) to re-sign that player. http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#31

I can look it up in the current CBA, but it's not terribly well-indexed.

timvp
06-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Ah yes, the "following June 30" rule.

Ludden is usually a good writer but he's pretty clueless concerning the salary cap.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Just scanning the news links on hoopshype I can tell you he's not alone.