PDA

View Full Version : The Mental State of Spurs Fans

timvp
10-06-2012, 04:30 PM
It seems like all the Spurs fans I personally know haven't gotten over last season's disappointment. Tbh, I've never felt this sense of apathy heading into the Spurs preseason. It's like Spurs nation is still hungover from the heartbreak of the 2012 WCF.

Personally, that ending still hurts but I'm slowly but surely getting excited again. I'm looking forward to what promises to be a fun year of Spurs basketball.

Does that Thunder series still bother you? What are you feeling as a Spurs fan? I'm curious.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

I'll make the poll private so we can get the most honest of answers.

Spurs Brazil
10-06-2012, 04:38 PM
I started last season with no hope to win the championship and decided to enjoy the ride. The team played well, it was fun, too bad it ended like that.

I'm starting this season with the same feeling: enjoy the ride and hope for a miracle. For me the top players win championships, we had that player for 10-11 years, but we don't have it anymore.

I want to have fun with the big 3, Jax, Kawhi and the other young kids. Let's hope for a good finish

timtonymanu
10-06-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm for the most part over it, but there are still times when I shake my head and realize how close we got. We had a great chance of winning it all last year. I still can't watch the WCF from last season even the two games we won. I think it would have hurt more if the Thunder ended up winning the championship because it shows we could have beaten Miami. I had the Heat winning the title last year even with the 20 win streak.

What keeps me excited is that the team still knows they messed up and knows they were close. It's definitely going to be tougher this year to get out of the West with the Lakers back in the mix, the Clippers evolving, and of course the Thunder. Tbh, I'm not so sure we can make it too far this year, but this team surprised me last year. Either way, it's going to be a fun ride.

objective
10-06-2012, 04:40 PM
The loss to OKC doesn't bother me. The Lakers and Heat bother me. Unlike the NFL, the hardcore fans of the other teams have no reason to invest their emotions or their time into the NBA. The Lakers and Heat will be in the finals barring severe injury issues, period. There's zero suspense, it's kind of sad really.

The Spurs now are just competing to lose in the conference finals. But at least they're still a joy to watch, especially towards the end of last season. Getting to watch Manu suit up alongside Tim and Tony for this year should be entertaining. But I'm not foolish enough to think they have a legit chance to win. But watching a team that's fun to watch with De Colo added in and no more Jefferson, that's worth following. It'd be better without Bonner, but it is what it is.

I think I'd be bothered a lot more if I was a Thunder fan. As a franchise, they've done almost everything right to be a contender. Sure, some moves around the edges like Cole Aldrich or BJ Mullens didn't work out, but when they had good fortune, they capitalized on it. But even being as well managed as can be, they just didn't have enough time before the realities of the NBA landscape closed the window for them.

DesignatedT
10-06-2012, 04:41 PM
I think the lack of off-season moves/additions is contributing to it. Once the season starts I think everyone will get back into it but at this moment their really isn't much to talk about regarding this team. We all know what needs to be done and how this team is going to play.
'

Frenchie
10-06-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm still a bit disappointed beacause the team had a a good chance to win the fitfh ring. But I'm happy to see the preseason coming. This team is not done and can still improve its game on both ends of the floor. Thats why I'm really getting excited by this newcoming season.

I don't see why the Spurs would collapse this year. The roster could be a bit improved (what to do with Blair or Neal for example) but I think that we have a lot of room to improve our game. Kawhi, Danny and some other guys could really bring this team higher than it's already the case.

I don't like to remember the end of the series against OKC. Particulary the game 6, rigged IMO... But the team have played the best basketball of the entire league and has brought us a lot of fun. I'm also proud of the players and mind of this team. To see the Big 3 still on the track with Pop and a magnificent mind is just amazing.

timtonymanu
10-06-2012, 04:50 PM
IMO, I still think 2011 against Memphis hurt more, simply because our team didn't play hard and we had a better chance of beating them if we just played to our potential.

We still played great against the Thunder. They just played better. Can't do much about that.

HI-FI
10-06-2012, 04:54 PM
it's funny you wrote this timvp. last night i was re-reading an article on Kawhi when the Spurs were up 2-0 against OKC. The overall tone was overflowing with this sense that the Spurs would win, how they were going to accomplish something glorious and beautiful, how Kawhi was a big part of that etc...Reading that article brought back some really bad feelings, since I remember how upbeat everyone was during that time. It was the reason i joined this site after lurking for a couple years, just wanted to be part of the party. So a massive hangover is to be expected, we got too high only to have it crash down.

I think part of that hangover went away seeing the Thunder get a taste of their own medicine, and I was happy for Lebron to finally get a ring. Plus I still have some faith in the Spurs, in their grit, their chemistry, Kawhi's growth (who I think could be a special player) that I have a reason to enjoy it.

The truth is its hard to get your hopes too high in the NBA. Objective nailed the situation better than I could.

The_Worlds_finest
10-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Last year was an unexpected treat. This year will be no different, Go Spurs Go!!!!

xellos88330
10-06-2012, 05:06 PM
I expected the Spurs to do well in the playoffs last season and the ceiling was the champs. I was actually pretty pissed off at the way the season ended though. From winning 20 in a row to losing 4 in a row and game 6 ending the way it did with all the controversial calls it was tough. People can say all they want that offensive teams don't win championships, but then again, I haven't seen one that had won 20 in a row (including playoffs) either. This season I expect a dogfight in the playoffs and it should be one hell of a ride.

I am over last season because I believe the Spurs are still contenders despite what happened in the off season and the playoffs last year. GO SPURS GO!!!

angelbelow
10-06-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm definitely excited to see that the new season just around the corner. I found our off-season moves to be somewhere between adequate to above average. Jackson and Diaw getting full seasons under their belt is definitely a good thing. Anyone following Dejuan Blair on twitter will know that he's been tweeting philosophical and motivation quotes all summer long. We'll if he can actually make good on his opportunities.

Ofcourse, consistent with any other Spurs fan, I'm most excited to the evolution of Kawhi Leonard.

The Thunder series is definitely still fresh on my mind. It was a very bitter way to go out, especially with the way they missed their shots against the Heat.

jeebus
10-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Feels like the start of any other season. Though, I am excited to have something to watch in the evening again.

ElNono
10-06-2012, 05:34 PM
I thought getting Jack and Diaw were great moves, and I think watching this team will be much more enjoyable than when RJ was here and the turd towers were given a good chunk of time.

I don't like this team's chances to win it all simply because they haven't played good defense in years now, and while Pop keeps saying they'll focus on it every year, it just lip service.

Despite that, I'm eager for the season to start and enjoy the ride.

Juggity
10-06-2012, 05:42 PM
IMO, I still think 2011 against Memphis hurt more, simply because our team didn't play hard and we had a better chance of beating them if we just played to our potential.

We still played great against the Thunder. They just played better. Can't do much about that.

This is right on the money. The loss to Memphis was just terrible. It was evident that the Spurs could do nothing to get around the inside scoring and defensive pressure that memphis had. Not to mention the underdog momentum. Watching Bonner and Jefferson fold up as predicted was bad. It seemed to confirm the idea that the Spurs were too old to make a run of it.

2011-2012 was really a renaissance. Despite the bad ending (mostly the fault of the players, with a little bit of help from the refs), it was a great season, and an exciting time to be a fan of the Spurs. May never see another 20 game win streak from this team (then again, they brought almost all the same players back, so it's possible).

quentin_compson
10-06-2012, 05:51 PM
I started last season with no hope to win the championship and decided to enjoy the ride.

Pretty much this, and for me it will be the same this season. I mean I kind of expect the Spurs to make the playoffs, but after that, I'm not expecting much.

JRHernandez88
10-06-2012, 05:52 PM
I started last season with no hope to win the championship and decided to enjoy the ride. The team played well, it was fun, too bad it ended like that.

I'm starting this season with the same feeling: enjoy the ride and hope for a miracle. For me the top players win championships, we had that player for 10-11 years, but we don't have it anymore.

I want to have fun with the big 3, Jax, Kawhi and the other young kids. Let's hope for a good finish:toast

AussieFanKurt
10-06-2012, 05:53 PM
We've had success so losing wasn't so hard tbh

Budkin
10-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Still haven't gotten over it. I was sure we'd win it all for probably the last time and I was looking forward to seeing the Big 3 get one more ring. Now with the Lakers getting Dwight, the Thunder, and the Heat being champs it's going to be tough to get that close. Not really looking forward to the season but I'm sure I'll get into it after the new year.

roycrikside
10-06-2012, 05:57 PM
I'll watch every game still, but I can't get too emotionally involved until football season ends anyway, because of work.

Also, last season's playoffs kind of took the wind out of my sails. I'm convinced they were boned by the league/refs and the whole thing was rigged for an OKC/Miami final. The officiating in game 6 especially was a joke. I just feel, even if by some miracle all the main guys on the team stay healthy for the playoffs, that it'll be fixed to have a Lakers-Heat finals or at least a rematch of last year's and that the Spurs won't get a fair shake because they're ratings poison and Stern just wants that TV money.

Finally, and this needs to be mentioned, I think Pop will kill them again once the playoffs come around. He might be the best regular season coach in NBA history, but he gets his lunch handed to him in May, panics, doesn't trust his bench enough and simply refuses to work the refs through the media to get calls the way other successful coaches do. He's just too full of himself and they'll never win another one with him in charge.

spurs10
10-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Still not doing well with last year's loss. Man, that was #&*$%in' horrible. But I am very excited for the new season and think we'll grow from our failure. I also want to see as many games as possible while the Big 3 are still around. Thanks!

Amuseddaysleeper
10-06-2012, 07:16 PM
I just don't think the Spurs would have beaten the Heat in a 7 game series.

So that makes the pill a little easier to swallow.

racm
10-06-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm very optimistic, tbh... Maybe it's because I have a feeling that the Spurs are under the radar again, tbh... better that way than being overhyped then folding...

100%duncan
10-06-2012, 09:00 PM
It's like any other season for me tbh. I'm over with the heartbreak.

therealtruth
10-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Finally, and this needs to be mentioned, I think Pop will kill them again once the playoffs come around. He might be the best regular season coach in NBA history, but he gets his lunch handed to him in May, panics, doesn't trust his bench enough and simply refuses to work the refs through the media to get calls the way other successful coaches do. He's just too full of himself and they'll never win another one with him in charge.

Guys don't forget the team was like 24-0 and had that 24-0 and had that ridiculous run on the Clippers. I really believe the Spurs are competing against themselves this season. Can they get much better defensively? That determines how far they will go. Pop needs to approach the regular season thinking defense first. No matter how much you practice offense like he says shots will fall or not fall. The officiating might be bad or good. But you have to be able to rely on your defense.

Sa_Spursfan20
10-06-2012, 10:13 PM
While the ending of last year was incredibly disappointing, that won't stop me from being excited about the approaching season. No matter what happens this year, I'll be supporting our boys in silver and black. I'm looking forward to another fun season! GO SPURS GO!

MarCowMar
10-06-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm very excited to see how Leonard plays. Also a full season with Diaw. We have pieces to make a trade if we need to.

TE
10-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Not entirely over it. Still pretty pissed off on how the Spurs lost their identity after being up 2-0. That just shouldn't happen in four straight fucking games.

Mark in Austin
10-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Hell, I'm still not over 2006, much less last year.

But I'm still excited about this season.

Arcadian
10-07-2012, 12:16 AM
[Pop] simply refuses to work the refs through the media to get calls the way other successful coaches do. He's just too full of himself and they'll never win another one with him in charge.

...so they're not winning championships because Pop doesn't complain enough to the media? Stupid.

They're never going to win one with him in charge, or they're never going to win one with the current players on the team? Even if he never won another championship, one could easily argue that his players weren't good enough; give him another superstar in his prime, and it's a different story. Unless you can find a way to dissociate Pop's issues from other relevant factors for success, your argument is a pile of shit.

To the main topic:

I'm pretty optimistic. The Spurs can still win another championship, and their window has about three years left in my estimation. I can't believe there is so much Laker-fear in this thread. Come on, really? Grow some balls, people. Howard is a mediocre offensive center, and Gasol, Nash, and Bryant are all past their primes. We can take 'em.

lefty
10-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Stern will have the last word

Just give up

MR-Clutch
10-07-2012, 12:27 AM
I mostly look foward to seek Leonard Joseph and our other young prospects develop.

timvp
10-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Tonight's game was the empiest game I've ever seen in the AT&T Center. I know it's a really early preseason game against a team no one has heard of ... but wow. If I had to guess, I'd say there were between 4,000 and 5,000 fans.

This poll paints a pretty rosy picture. Hopefully the Spurs and their fans are over the hangover. Then again, this poll is a classic selection bias. If you're logging into SpursTalk, the last three options probably don't apply to you . . .

spurs10
10-07-2012, 01:34 AM
Tonight's game was the empiest game I've ever seen in the AT&T Center. I know it's a really early preseason game against a team no one has heard of ... but wow. If I had to guess, I'd say there were between 4,000 and 5,000 fans.

This poll paints a pretty rosy picture. Hopefully the Spurs and their fans are over the hangover. Then again, this poll is a classic selection bias. If you're logging into SpursTalk, the last three options probably don't apply to you . . .

I was thinking this about the poll. Still find it hard to believe they had that weak of a turnout. Perhaps it is a hangover from the playoffs.....or just an unknown team, in the NBA. I really wish I could have made it!!

Samr.
10-07-2012, 01:45 AM
I'm apathetic. But not just for the Spurs; rather, toward the NBA in general.

My wife (then girlfriend) was a big NASCAR fan when we first met and since I'm not completely stupid I decided to follow it as well for that very reason. The "sport" was exciting for a while, until one guy started winning every year and you realize that when it's all said and done they basically just drive in circles. And there's two main factors that separate a perennial winner from a consistent loser: 1) luck -- crashes taking out your main competitors and not you, deciding on a whim to change out two tires instead of four on a pit stop, deciding to take the high line instead of going low in turn four on the last lap. 2) sponsors -- the more money you have behind you, the more you can spend on if not helping your "luck," then at at least mitigating your "bad luck." Neither of these two factors has anything to do with a driver's skill behind the wheel -- if they did, then Kyle Busch would be winning every year.

Like NASCAR, the NBA has lost it's purity. It used to be the Every Man's sport, and now it's not. And that's why I just can't bring myself to fanatically support a single team -- because I know the game is rigged.

It's self-perpetuating. Blogs (which, let's be honest, is where we read the vast majority of our "news") get paid per click. The more people read what they have to say, intelligent or not, factual or not, added-value or not, is irrelevant. In fact, the readers don't even have to read the article, they just have to click on it. And since NBA fans are generally geographically-loyal, naturally they blogs are going to target the biggest population areas -- LA, Miami, New York. And the more "press" those teams receive (it's not actually 'press' now, but rather 'clicks'), the more fans fill the seats and buy their merchandise and thus the more their revenue increases. And the more their revenue increases, the more the other owners will benefit. Hell, even being associated with one of those big-market teams gets the smaller markets in the news. The Magic must have gotten more press during the "Dwightmare" than they did the last few years combined; no wonder they were so reluctant to let him leave!

I'll start following the NBA religiously again when the game stops being rigged. When it returns to being a pure matter of putting a ball through a hoop while preventing the other team from doing so. When winning championships is not a direct result of winning the most media coverage. When winning championships is no longer a product of luck, sponsors, or owners, but rather a product of skill.

Like NASCAR, the NBA is going in circles. Miami on turn one, Brooklyn and New York turns two and three, Lakers on turn four. Home stretch still goes through Texas... but fans today don't watch for the finish. Just for the crashes.

And until that changes, I'm not sure my level of apathy will change either.

The NBA used to be a pure sport. But now they're just turning left.

DieMrBond
10-07-2012, 02:17 AM
I know that I myself definitely bought into the hype of the win streak far too much. I was talking way too much smack at work towards my *vomit* Miami Heat bandwagon friend... I was almost positive that the Spurs were going to win it all.

We went on holiday with the series 2-0, and I came back to see we lost. That hurt bad. I kind of wish there was like another couple of weeks before the season begins, or they invented time travel. But either way, its the Spurs - so I can't wait to see what happens.

z0sa
10-07-2012, 02:48 AM
Unfortunately I'm quite discouraged. I have never been a fan of "blowing it up" but I feel like the time has come to do just that. In today's NBA the current spurs are not more than a regular season money-grab type of team. Though they're getting my $$ so maybe thats a success story in and of itself...anyway the point is that I don't see them winning vs OKC or LAL. Guys like Danny Green and Matt Bonner are just gonna fail epically again and let me down.

baseline bum
10-07-2012, 03:06 AM
I honestly thought this team was finished and couldn't believe it when they proved to be legit title contenders last year. I think a title is completely out of the question (EVERYTHING went right last year with health, season rest, seeding, and tons of rest heading into the OKC series, and it wasn't enough). However, I can't be anything but excited for this season after such an awesome playoff run last year. I don't see any way they get through LA or OKC to make the WCF again, but I do think they have another solid playoff run in them this year as long as Tim and Manu don't fall off a cliff due to age this season. Plus I love watching Jack on this team, and hope to hell they don't trade him unless it's for a complete steal. Not having Jefferson on the team makes them infinitely more enjoyable to watch.

baseline bum
10-07-2012, 03:15 AM
Unfortunately I'm quite discouraged. I have never been a fan of "blowing it up" but I feel like the time has come to do just that. In today's NBA the current spurs are not more than a regular season money-grab type of team. Though they're getting my $$ so maybe thats a success story in and of itself...anyway the point is that I don't see them winning vs OKC or LAL. Guys like Danny Green and Matt Bonner are just gonna fail epically again and let me down.

If they were going to blow it up, they should have done it last year to tank for Unibrow or Kidd-Gilchrist. This is a lousy year to tank without all the talented bigs the 2012 draft had. There's just no one in this coming draft I'm at all excited about. Shabbaz Muhammed is a nice player, but he's not exactly what Derrick Rose was in the athleticism department. Nerlens Noel will be an elite defender in the league for sure, but dude has a non-existent offensive game from when I have watched him. McAdoo will probably be a nice player, as will Zeller, but I don't see franchise big there the way I do with Unibrow. Maybe 2013 will be a good year to blow it up for Parker or Randle, but 2012 definitely is not. And blowing the team up for capspace would be an awful idea, since the deck is extremely stacked against anyone but LA, Miami, and NYC getting any decent free agents with the restricted free agency and sign and trade rules what they are. I definitely wouldn't be ok with trading Parker for lottery picks in such a weak draft this year like I was early in the 2011-12 year for the 2012 draft.

baseline bum
10-07-2012, 03:23 AM
I mostly look foward to seek Leonard Joseph and our other young prospects develop.

Yeah, Leonard excites me as much as Parker did in 02. I can't wait to see what kind of player he develops into.

baseline bum
10-07-2012, 03:28 AM

Are season ticket holders still forced to buy preseason games?

jesterbobman
10-07-2012, 04:05 AM
The Spurs have a somewhat realistic chance of having the best regular season in the league, but are very unlikely to win the title, We just lack the horses to play at an elite level for 40 minutes a night. I think it's entirely possible that we finish with a point differential that suggests elite play, but the deep roster that means we have so few weak minutes in the regular season means we can't get better in the playoffs, there's so little fat to trim.

That said, I'll have a good time watching them play. The offense is such a joy to watch, and I'm alright with having 80 games of joy and then rooting for the underdog.

Obstructed_View
10-07-2012, 04:13 AM
Being excited about the upcoming season -as I am with all seasons- should not be mistaken for a belief that the team can win a title. They, and the rest of the league, had a small window last year while Miami tried to figure out how to play together. That window is now closed. I'm not terribly concerned about the Lakers collecting trading card talent. Their starting five could be called "the beast with two backs". Nobody's beating Miami. I'll still be rooting for the Spurs and hoping to be proven wrong.

crc21209
10-07-2012, 04:23 AM
I think I'm over it, but I still think about it. When this team won 20 games in a row, I was on top of the world as a Spurs fan. Up 2-0 in the Conference Finals, I was privately (in my head) making my plans to go to my first ever NBA Finals game. And poof, just like that...it was gone. I've seen many Spurs games live as I was growing up, from the Alamodome to the AT&T Center. I've seen heartbreaks in person (Marbury's 3-point buzzer beater in the 1st round of 03') to some very exciting regular season wins, and finally saw my first live Playoff win during last years Clippers series in Game 2. It sucks knowing that they were so so close to getting back to the Finals. I went into last year with no expectations at all and we were 2 wins from the Finals. This time, I have SOME expectations. But then I think about OKC being better, the Lakers adding Dwight, and the Heat in the East. I still think the Spurs are a Top 5 NBA team in my heart and in my mind. I think a full year of Jack and Diaw will help, along with Kawhi's 2nd year and Danny Green coming off an incredible year as well. If the Mavericks could win a title with an aging core of Dirk, Kidd, Terry, and Marion, I think the Spurs can squeeze one last title out of Tim, Tony, and Manu....Here's to an awesome season guys! :toast

crc21209
10-07-2012, 04:26 AM

I'm not TOO surprised it wasnt so packed tonight. Saturday night, 1st pre-season game, and against a non NBA team.

racm
10-07-2012, 04:44 AM
The Spurs went 31-6 with Jax on the roster. Teams that typically get far into the playoffs but don't win it all tend to go on a roll the following season.

sananspursfan21
10-07-2012, 10:15 AM
i'm not quite as into it yet as most seasons but mainly because my st. louis rams are actually doing well in the nfl right now. usually, i'm chomping at the bit waiting for the nba season to kick off cuz st. louis is generally 0-4, 1-3 at this point and all hope is lost for them. i'm still in nfl mode right now i spose, but once the first regular season tip-off occurs, i will get there :)

bklynspursfan
10-07-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm excited. I know this is a different year but every time SA has been extra sour about a playoff defeat they've come back strong like .04, or Manu's foul in OT. If they can be hurt and bring in another guy or 2 who might better fit what we want to do, It should be an exciting season.

DMC
10-07-2012, 11:10 AM
None of the choices accurately reflect my mental state regarding the Spurs this season. I'm one of those people who prefers to think he's a realist, and the realist view is that though the Spurs are still a force to be reckoned with, they are not the legit threat they were in years past. Last year they went through the league like a windmill in a hurricane (RIP Andy Griffith) and in the post season they did some things that really made them look poised to strike, but that's from the column readers' perspective, those "fans" who catch the box scores and the highlights and don't follow the season or really know that the Spurs were a V8 firing on 9 cylinders. Coach Pop said they overachieved last year and that's right about where I believe they were.

We hear talk about running into a "buzzsaw" when a team gets destroyed in the post season, well last season the Spurs were that buzzsaw for the first two rounds, but their opponents were jigsaw puzzles that were not completely put together (The Jazz were just severely out matched and had no business in the playoffs with no real chance to progress). The Spurs made some impressive comebacks against the Clippers, and looked good in the first couple of games against the Thunder. They had an outside shot at a ring if the Thunder broke and if injuries could sideline some key players on the teams they were going to face.

In the end, I just want to see good basketball and that's what the Spurs provide, the clean, crisp passes, savvy cuts and ball movement is a thing of beauty that even the haters admire. I am just as excited about the season as ever, and winning it all isn't impossible, but I am not expecting even the WCF this season.

DMC
10-07-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm not TOO surprised it wasnt so packed tonight. Saturday night, 1st pre-season game, and against a non NBA team.

Spurs played the Hornets?

DPG21920
10-07-2012, 11:17 AM
I am a combo of really excited, but still really upset at the loss last year. To have guys melting down, not fully compete & to lose 4 in a row for the first time all season (with home court) still really stings because that team was damn good and I know they were better than what they showed that last 4 games.

I don't have expectations this year with regards to a title realistically, but internally that is still the bar for me. When we have a big 3 that can still play at the level ours do, that can't change for me although realistically I know it's a long shot. I think the Spurs will be a damn good team again and depth will obviously play a critical role. However, I am interested to see if the Spurs truly put an emphasis on defense (bench players that are not cutting it there, make a trade to sure things up...)and I am interested to see if the double-edged sword of depth hurts the Spurs (use depth all year, win a lot of games, then shorten the rotation in the playoffs and have guys out of the rotation that were helping and also make guys play a lot more minutes than their body has been trained to do over the course of the season).

I am very excited about the team, the season and how good they can be, but I am still very much stung over last year. I think once regular season gets here - I'll drop that feeling and just get so into this season that it matter any more.

****Thanks for sharing, DPG. That was very brave of you and we are your family and support system*****

****group hug and claps*****

xtremesteven33
10-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Last year if anything showed that the Spurs are still a force to be reckoned with and how they are close to finally breaking that rock again

z0sa
10-07-2012, 01:53 PM
If they were going to blow it up, they should have done it last year to tank for Unibrow or Kidd-Gilchrist. This is a lousy year to tank without all the talented bigs the 2012 draft had. There's just no one in this coming draft I'm at all excited about. Shabbaz Muhammed is a nice player, but he's not exactly what Derrick Rose was in the athleticism department. Nerlens Noel will be an elite defender in the league for sure, but dude has a non-existent offensive game from when I have watched him. McAdoo will probably be a nice player, as will Zeller, but I don't see franchise big there the way I do with Unibrow. Maybe 2013 will be a good year to blow it up for Parker or Randle, but 2012 definitely is not. And blowing the team up for capspace would be an awful idea, since the deck is extremely stacked against anyone but LA, Miami, and NYC getting any decent free agents with the restricted free agency and sign and trade rules what they are. I definitely wouldn't be ok with trading Parker for lottery picks in such a weak draft this year like I was early in the 2011-12 year for the 2012 draft.

Nice reply. I don't have much to say besides it's just a feeling, not something that upon which the Spurs should act. There's not any choice but to go all in for the rest of Tim's career and I'm fine with that. I have some faith the Spurs can win it all (the blind homer kind) but my brain is telling me everything went perfect for us last season in regards to injuries and rest and it still wasn't close to enough.

The Big 3, particularly Timmy are older and our physical presence down low is negligible. Also, even if we get past or avoid OKC and LAL, Miami has the East on lock. However I'm sure the Spurs will have another big regular season and so it's gonna be another helluvaride.

Kori Ellis
10-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Tonight's game was the empiest game I've ever seen in the AT&T Center. . .

But it was perfect for us... When else could we buy 10 lower level tickets for $20? :lol

jjktkk
10-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Consdiering that Most people had written off this team as a legit contender, I was excited about last year, and look forward to another Spur's run. Given what this team has done in the Duncan era, anything else is icing on the cake for me.

Kamnik
10-07-2012, 02:25 PM
It still hurts...

Brazil
10-07-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm not mad about last year tbh. Overall OKC is the better team and it was the Heat season anyway.

I have no hope for a title this year but I'm exited to see Leonard develop and have the big 3 and Jax for 82 RS games.

wut
10-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Last season's loss ranks up there in top 3 most heart-breaking playoff endings:

1) .4
2) Dallas in 2006.
3) OKC in 2012.

Last season's loss kinda reminds me of that quote from the latest Batman movie:

"I learned here there can be no true despair without hope."

The Spurs gave me hope that they could win; and it made it all the more painful when they failed.

mingus
10-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Being excited about the upcoming season -as I am with all seasons- should not be mistaken for a belief that the team can win a title. They, and the rest of the league, had a small window last year while Miami tried to figure out how to play together. That window is now closed. I'm not terribly concerned about the Lakers collecting trading card talent. Their starting five could be called "the beast with two backs". Nobody's beating Miami. I'll still be rooting for the Spurs and hoping to be proven wrong.

The bold part is true. I think Miami and OKC are the favorites, and I think the reason is that they both play great defense and they have a top 1-2 player. I think LA is the darkhorse. I give them about a 10% chance of winning it all.

At this point, the Spurs just don't have the defense or the franchise player to reasonably expect them to contend. Parker proved last year that he could hang with most players, but in the WCF he proved to be what he actually is: a top 10 player, but not a franchise player. Durant stole the show, expecially when his team needed buckets. And everybody knows that Duncan is far past being a franchise player.

Ideally, you want both a franchise player and great defense. The Spurs had that from '99-'07, but they don't have either of those two now. To expect them to beat any team in the league that has both of those is just ridiculous.

So I expect the Spurs to get to the second round, maybe the third. Anything beyond that is gravy.

therealtruth
10-07-2012, 09:04 PM
The bold part is true. I think Miami and OKC are the favorites, and I think the reason is that they both play great defense and they have a top 1-2 player. I think LA is the darkhorse. I give them about a 10% chance of winning it all.

At this point, the Spurs just don't have the defense or the franchise player to reasonably expect them to contend. Parker proved last year that he could hang with most players, but in the WCF he proved to be what he actually is: a top 10 player, but not a franchise player. Durant stole the show, expecially when his team needed buckets. And everybody knows that Duncan is far past being a franchise player.

Ideally, you want both a franchise player and great defense. The Spurs had that from '99-'07, but they don't have either of those two now. To expect them to beat any team in the league that has both of those is just ridiculous.

So I expect the Spurs to get to the second round, maybe the third. Anything beyond that is gravy.

The defensive game plan to beat the Heat remains the same. Just because the Thunder didn't follow it means it doesn't work. You force Lebron and Wade to beat you from the perimeter. The Thunder allowed Lebron to beat them from the paint and get the shooters involved. That's a recipe for disaster.

Sean Cagney
10-07-2012, 10:32 PM

I want to have fun with the big 3, Jax, Kawhi and the other young kids. Let's hope for a good finish

I could not agree more.

Sean Cagney
10-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Last season's loss ranks up there in top 3 most heart-breaking playoff endings:

1) .4
2) Dallas in 2006.
3) OKC in 2012.

Last season's loss kinda reminds me of that quote from the latest Batman movie:

"I learned here there can be no true despair without hope."

The Spurs gave me hope that they could win; and it made it all the more painful when they failed.

I disagree because in 04 we were a team with guys in their prime and were expected to do very good! .4 hurt yes but that team was in it's prime in alot of areas so that stung. 06 is first on my list! Nothing will top that one. Last year the Spurs were older and I expected nothing, that run came outta nowhere and it shocked us all. I did not expect them to make it far last year as nobody did, it was a bonus IMO they did that well and made it alot further than most would imagine. I did not like the ending one bit but it did not sting as bad as say 95 when we had D ROB and were near our first finals appearance and Hakeem goes insane on our team :( That sucked.

Beanzamillion21
10-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Fuck, the way last season ended sucked so much. I love the Spurs but that one was the worst. Not even saying the Spurs would have beaten the Heat, Its just the way we lost in the WCF.

Fireball
10-08-2012, 09:15 AM
The end of the last playoffs were hard to swallow. I did not watch one Finals Game because of it ... first time for over a decade. But as always I am excited about the new season. Timmy still plays very good basketball and he is still my favorite player. Already now the Spurs are looking to play as good as at the end of last season - everybody is healthy and in shape to start the season - we will be able to beat many teams with our offense. Lets see what happens on the defensive end though.

And of course ... hopefully Kawhi is developing like most people here (including myself) think he will ... excited about that as well.

superbigtime
10-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Last year built everyone's hopes enormously high. Just the chemistry which the players developed in that short season was amazing to watch. Diaw and Jackson additions and Jefferson's departure gave Spurs new momentum. That streak was amazing. The streak and the way the vets minutes were handled got me to change my mind about Pop and that it indeed could be the Spurs' year... even the head coach wasn't going to stop them! But then the OKC defense, clutch Durant play, and some referee unkindness dashed it all. The WCF meltdown crashed us down to earth, and hard. I didn't look at this site for awhile, but it seems like Pop is not getting the wrath I would expect. As with most failures, there's a host of reasons. But for the coach to scramble shit up like he did indicates how truly unlikely the Spurs' past glories were and that the players should get way more credit than this coach's "genius." This is the coach who masterminded losing 4 straight with a 2-0 lead in the WCF. I'm never going to forget that. The "hangover" from last year will go away slowly, but all will be forgotten at least temporarily once college football and the NFL have finished their business and basketball is all this town has to focus on. I'm tired of second guessing the moron coach, I just have to live with what he does and enjoy the great play by the Spurs. Everyone knows it will be Lakers / Heat.

superbigtime
10-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Are season ticket holders still forced to buy preseason games?

YES. And you're so totally right about EVERYTHING going the right way for the Spurs last season, including the short season. It made the end all the more hard to take. A long 82 game season is not what this team needs. This team needs a 60 game season.

superbigtime
10-08-2012, 09:27 AM
I'll watch every game still, but I can't get too emotionally involved until football season ends anyway, because of work.

Also, last season's playoffs kind of took the wind out of my sails. I'm convinced they were boned by the league/refs and the whole thing was rigged for an OKC/Miami final. The officiating in game 6 especially was a joke. I just feel, even if by some miracle all the main guys on the team stay healthy for the playoffs, that it'll be fixed to have a Lakers-Heat finals or at least a rematch of last year's and that the Spurs won't get a fair shake because they're ratings poison and Stern just wants that TV money.

Amen.

Cane
10-08-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm excited, especially now that RJ is gone and it'll be fun to watch Kawhi Leonard's sophomore season. My brother is still pretty bummed though.

NBA games also give me an excuse to keep the cable TV plan

DD
10-08-2012, 10:53 AM
San Antonio is easily the best coached team in the league since PJ retired, and Pop deserves beaucoup credit for the Spurs overachieving with largely sub-standard talent. His player/minutes management is superb and he puts guys in great positions to maximize their talent and succeed--so they will always be a thorn in your side in the playoffs. They also have the enviable position of being underdogs again going into the year.

All that being said, the NBA is a game of haves and have-nots, and San Antonio can't beat a healthy OKC or LAL team in the playoffs because they don't have the bosses to do it anymore. It's been said a million times, but you have almost a 0% chance of winning a title if your PG is the best player on your team.

Fabbs
10-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Need something between:
Last year's disappointment is too fresh. I need more time.

I'm done being a hardcore Spurs fan.

Rigged NBA combined with joke of a coach makes hoping for another legit Championship at .00000000001
So I'm saying I'll still give it a chance.

Fabbs
10-08-2012, 01:56 PM
All that being said, the NBA is a game of haves and have-nots,
Or bullshit hand-outs.
Enjoy rooting for Food Stamps. :lol

baseline bum
10-08-2012, 05:17 PM
:cry :cry :cry I only like the team when they win the title :cry :cry :cry

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-08-2012, 05:20 PM
I feel like we missed the last true opportunity of the Duncan-Manu era to win a ring last year, and I think going out to OKC that way will always stay with me alongside 0.4sec and Manu's foul in 06, but still I'm excited to watch this Spurs squad rip other teams apart like they did last year. All we need to be true contenders is a good big from somewhere, and that could happen any time. This team has an almost limitless offensive ceiling, so let the carnage begin! :)

Floyd Pacquiao
10-08-2012, 05:35 PM
still stings a little tbh...the spurs were so close to the finals and were looking like the most well oiled machine in recent nba times...I really thought they were gonna win the chip, everything seemed so perfect jack coming back, tim turning back the clock, tony playing like a mvp and kawhi coming into his own...just wasn't meant to be I guess...2012 is up their with 06 and 04, hopefully they comeback strong because the days of being a contender are coming to an end...

Morg1411
10-08-2012, 06:14 PM
I want to get excited. I really do. But I'm still not over the WCF. I kept waiting for that old magic, waiting for them to win Game 4, or 5....I think Game 5 was the last straw for me. I haven't been able to get excited since.

I'm sure that'll change with the regular season getting underway. But God damn that still stings...

therealtruth
10-08-2012, 07:23 PM
I feel like we missed the last true opportunity of the Duncan-Manu era to win a ring last year, and I think going out to OKC that way will always stay with me alongside 0.4sec and Manu's foul in 06, but still I'm excited to watch this Spurs squad rip other teams apart like they did last year. All we need to be true contenders is a good big from somewhere, and that could happen any time. This team has an almost limitless offensive ceiling, so let the carnage begin! :)

That's the thing that. The Spurs are so good on offense if they focus on defense they can win the ring. That defense focus has to come from Pop emphasizing it and making sure they don't make defensive mistakes. It's one thing for them to be less athletic but it's another thing to practice to make sure they don't make stupid defensive mistakes. I really hope Pop is serious about defense this year.

DAF86
10-08-2012, 07:37 PM
I'm in a strange place right now. I expect a 60ish win season but I think A LOT of things have to go our way for the Spurs to be able to trully contend for a championship.

Kidd K
10-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Combination of being excited since it's a new season and we're still pretty good, but also disappointment because of last year's fixed WCF, and the fact that we didn't exactly upgrade the team. We needed a halfway decent C or PF addition. Imo, we need it worse than ever with Howard going to LA.

OKC we can beat. But the Lakers? If they're healthy, the Spurs' current team cannot defeat them unless Kobe goes into full Chucky Bryant mode and jacks up 30 a game and only shoots 35-40%, or somehow Jackson turns back the clock to how he was 5 years ago. . .or Leonard, Mills, and Splitter make warp drive leaps forward in ability to help.

spurspokesman
10-09-2012, 07:22 AM
I dont expect much barring a trade that improves this teams interior. But im still riding with my spurs sun up or sun down.

gameFACE
10-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Got over last season pretty quick. My expectations built up as they went along in the post season, of course. But deep down inside I always knew that Tim not being in his prime, lack of decent bigs and token defense were not going to get it done. I feel the same way to start the season. But this should be a fun team to watch.

LongtimeSpursFan
10-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Magic Johnson, Isaiah Thomas and Dwayne Wade say 'hi'.

LongtimeSpursFan
10-09-2012, 11:31 AM
San Antonio is easily the best coached team in the league since PJ retired, and Pop deserves beaucoup credit for the Spurs overachieving with largely sub-standard talent. His player/minutes management is superb and he puts guys in great positions to maximize their talent and succeed--so they will always be a thorn in your side in the playoffs. They also have the enviable position of being underdogs again going into the year.

All that being said, the NBA is a game of haves and have-nots, and San Antonio can't beat a healthy OKC or LAL team in the playoffs because they don't have the bosses to do it anymore. It's been said a million times, but you have almost a 0% chance of winning a title if your PG is the best player on your team.

Magic Johnson, Isaiah Thomas, Chauncey Billups and Dwayne Wade say 'hi'.

Fabbs
10-09-2012, 11:40 AM
baseline bum and the PPoppers
Great playoffs last year. Very happy with everything and Pop is the best.

Couple insertions for ya:

Last year built everyone's hopes enormously high. Just the chemistry which the players developed in that short season was amazing to watch. Diaw and Jackson additions and Jefferson's departure gave Spurs new momentum. That streak was amazing. The streak and the way the vets minutes were handled got me to change my mind about Pop and that it indeed could be the Spurs' year... even the head coach wasn't going to stop them! But then the OKC defense, clutch Durant play, and some referee unkindness dashed it all. The WCF meltdown crashed us down to earth, and hard. I didn't look at this site for awhile, but it seems like Pop is not getting the wrath I would expect. As with most failures, there's a host of reasons. But for the coach to scramble shit up like he did indicates how truly unlikely the Spurs' past glories were and that the players should get way more credit than this coach's "genius." This is the coach who masterminded losing 4 straight with a 2-0 lead in the WCF. I'm never going to forget that. The "hangover" from last year will go away slowly, but all will be forgotten at least temporarily once college football and the NFL have finished their business and basketball is all this town has to focus on. I'm tired of second guessing the moron coach, I just have to live with what he does and enjoy the great play by the Spurs. Everyone knows it will be Lakers / Heat.

roycrickside

:toast Truth bombs. Couple of many on the thread.

Fabbs
10-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Unfortunately I'm quite discouraged. I have never been a fan of "blowing it up" but I feel like the time has come to do just that. In today's NBA the current spurs are not more than a regular season money-grab type of team. Guys like..... Matt Bonner are just gonna fail epically again and let me down.

Kori Ellis

But it was perfect for us... When else could we buy 10 lower level tickets for $20?
:lol good one!

Drom John
10-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Bullets winning the Eastern Conference in 1979 was almost as tough as Thunder winning the West in 2012.
Washington was the #1 seed, but the Spurs had a 3-1 lead.

SequSpur
10-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Just answer the damn poll question..shit..

DD
10-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Magic Johnson, Isaiah Thomas, Chauncey Billups and Dwayne Wade say 'hi'.

Magic and Zeke were 2+ decades ago, so that really supports your argument. A lot.
lol Wade the PG...just like calling LeBron the PG on this most recent team. White Chocolate and Payton were their PGs, but nice try grabbing dudes from different positions and crowbarring them into your take.

Chauncey Billups was the FMVP, but then again so was Parker and he wasn't even the 2nd best player on that 2007 team. The Pistons were pretenders until they acquired Sheed...they also had DPOY Ben Wallace.

In summation, you have provided one actual PG since 1990, and even his status is questionable as best player on that team.

shorttotry
10-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Chemistry is the key word in this regard. We dumped RJ and gained JAX and Diaw; that along with the development of Green and Leonard is the what will make the difference this year. We know what to expect from the the Big 3, barring injury, so the integration of these guys are what is going to be the deciding factor. TBH, I have high hopes... just because its the fucking SPURS.

racm
10-09-2012, 06:01 PM
While the Spurs don't have the best chances of winning it all, I like their chances better than the Lakers tbh.

The Spurs got into contender status the moment they dumped RJ and added Diaw and Mills. Sure, the 20 win streak was unsustainable, but the Spurs finally have a full training camp with that same team. The development of the young talent is key, as well as the health of the older guys. The emphasis on defense in camp seems to be paying off. Even Cory Joseph has been increasingly comfortable.