PDA

View Full Version : DVD compliation of Coverage/Ceramonies/Key Moments.

MannyIsGod
06-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Ok Spurs fans, here's what I want to do.

I realize that there is a large group of people out there with DVD copies or at least digital copies of many of the games, the parade and championship celebration as well as some coverage from the media.

I am interested in gathering this media and compiling it together onto a DVD or a series of discs in order to have something in a very raw form to go along with what the NBA will put out in the championship DVD.

Also, the double OT games, the Pheonix game, and any other key moments from the season would be nice to archive as well.

I've heard rumblings and rumors of people doing this for money, but I have no interest in making any money off of this, I simply want to have a way to look back at some of the moments of this year. I think this was going to be attempted by some posters in 2003, but at that time there wasn't as much digital media of the Spurs floating around.

So, basically, who out there would be willing to supply me with footage and videos on DVDs? I'd be more than willing to pay for the discs to put the games on,and I'd also be more than willing to share the final product for no charge as long as you supply the media you want it on.

T Park
06-26-2005, 01:45 PM
Id be more than willing to supply some blank DVDs Manny to support this.

Ginofan
06-26-2005, 01:50 PM
I have over 60 games recorded on DVR so I can help out with some footage...

EasilyAmused
06-26-2005, 01:51 PM
Ok Spurs fans, here's what I want to do.

I realize that there is a large group of people out there with DVD copies or at least digital copies of many of the games, the parade and championship celebration as well as some coverage from the media.

I am interested in gathering this media and compiling it together onto a DVD or a series of discs in order to have something in a very raw form to go along with what the NBA will put out in the championship DVD.

Also, the double OT games, the Pheonix game, and any other key moments from the season would be nice to archive as well.

I've heard rumblings and rumors of people doing this for money, but I have no interest in making any money off of this, I simply want to have a way to look back at some of the moments of this year. I think this was going to be attempted by some posters in 2003, but at that time there wasn't as much digital media of the Spurs floating around.

So, basically, who out there would be willing to supply me with footage and videos on DVDs? I'd be more than willing to pay for the discs to put the games on,and I'd also be more than willing to share the final product for no charge as long as you supply the media you want it on.

I would be more than happy to help you out. The only problem is I have everything on VHS which I was going to transfer on DVD for my own personal video collection.

T Park
06-26-2005, 01:54 PM
I have over 60 games recorded on DVR so I can help out with some footage

wow thats awesome Gino....

The only complete game on DVR that I have is game 2 of the WCF.

It would be awesome to have in this collection

EVERY playoff win.

Some big wins IMO over the season

the Double OT games near the end.

the infamous comeback VS the Suns where Manu scored i think 48.

T Park
06-26-2005, 01:55 PM
The only problem is I have everything on VHS which I was going to transfer on DVD for my own personal video collection.

Thats cool.

Man I was hopin for this in 03, and it would be great to have this this year.

Slomo
06-26-2005, 02:00 PM
Manny,

Are you planning to create video DVDs that you playback on your tv?

If so I'd like to offer a word of caution. An average game is 3 hrs. long if you record that on a single layer (4.7GB) DVD disc the compression is so high that the picture quality is hardly better than VHS. A single layer DVD disc can basically hold 1 hrs of good quality video - if you encode the video with coders that are available to enthusiast like you and me (you can achieve 90 min. using professional and VERY expensive encoders).
So when you ask for footage try to agree not to have the whole game on a single DVD disc.

How do you plan to edit this? How long is the finished product going to be? Have you done long form editing on this scale before?

I am asking because I may be able to offer advice since I can't offer game footage :)

Mr Dio
06-26-2005, 02:03 PM
GinoFan, are those games of high quality?

I have (or will have) 3 dbl layered discs , ea. w/a Finals diff game.
I will have game #s 1, 5 & 7.
They are only of VHS type quality.

SequSpur
06-26-2005, 02:07 PM
Ass or Gas.

No Free Ride.

MannyIsGod
06-26-2005, 02:15 PM
Manny,

If so I'd like to offer a word of caution. An average game is 3 hrs. long if you record that on a single layer (4.7GB) DVD disc the compression is so high that the picture quality is hardly better than VHS. A single layer DVD disc can basically hold 1 hrs of good quality video - if you encode the video with coders that are available to enthusiast like you and me (you can achieve 90 min. using professional and VERY expensive encoders).
So when you ask for footage try to agree not to have the whole game on a single DVD disc.

How do you plan to edit this? How long is the finished product going to be? Have you done long form editing on this scale before?

I am asking because I may be able to offer advice since I can't offer game footage :)
:lmao Funny you should post in here offering advice because I was planning to solicit said advice from you.

I've never done form editing on this scale, but I've done it on smaller scales. It has been awhile, but I don't think anylearning curve will set me back very much at all.

I'm probably not going to include entire games. For one, the most important parts are the 2nd halfs. Also, I'm going to remove commericals of course, which will further shrink the time for each item.

2003's DVD had the clinching 4th quaters, which is great but there have been so many incredible moments in this years playoff run that stand outside that limited time period that I want to capture. Game 5 of the finals, The double OT games, the Pheonix game, etc etc.

I also want to include a compilation of the best plays of the year. Perhaps we can even have the plays choosen by Spurstalk posters in a vote.

Also, I'm not opposed to using dual layer discs. I only have a single layer burner, but an investment in a Dual layer DVD writer is probably a good idea either way.

T Park
06-26-2005, 02:23 PM
I wish there was a way to get all the playoff wins, sans commercials

on DVD.

I wish the NBA offered somethin like taht for godssake...

baseline bum
06-26-2005, 02:32 PM
Manny,

I actually have video from game 1 and game 2 that's about 1.4 GB each that looks really amazing. It's from an HD broadcast and looks cleaner than the footage on any of the DVD games I have, and way better than VCR. It doesn't have the blockiness that MPEG encoding introduces. The video codec is X264 and the audio is Vorbis. The colors are spectacular and fullscreen on my monitor looks flat-out amazing... so good that when I showed my roommate a shot where they showed the SA skyline he said it was like looking through a window. I got an XViD (MPEG-4) encoded version of game 7 from an HD source that was 1.3 GB and it looked terrible... way worse than VCR quality even. I can't believe how good X264 looks.

Slomo
06-26-2005, 02:33 PM
:lmao Funny you should post in here offering advice because I was planning to solicit said advice from you.

I've never done form editing on this scale, but I've done it on smaller scales. It has been awhile, but I don't think anylearning curve will set me back very much at all.

I'm probably not going to include entire games. For one, the most important parts are the 2nd halfs. Also, I'm going to remove commericals of course, which will further shrink the time for each item.

2003's DVD had the clinching 4th quaters, which is great but there have been so many incredible moments in this years playoff run that stand outside that limited time period that I want to capture. Game 5 of the finals, The double OT games, the Pheonix game, etc etc.

I also want to include a compilation of the best plays of the year. Perhaps we can even have the plays choosen by Spurstalk posters in a vote.

Also, I'm not opposed to using dual layer discs. I only have a single layer burner, but an investment in a Dual layer DVD writer is probably a good idea either way. :)

OK Manny we'll talk as the projects evolves the first step is gathering the raw footage. Try to get the best quality you can, if people are offering things like footage on DV cassettes, takes those over DVD any day.

Catalogue the footage carefully - the main pain in long form is you get lost in all the many hrs. of footage. When you're in the middle of editing it can literally drive you crazy.

I would limit the final product to a single dual layer DVD which will hold between 2 and 3 hours of video - but that's just my opinion. If you don't pay enough attention to the quality of the picture it will be unwatchable on today's big screen TVs.

Of course he easiest way would be for you to gather the materials and fly over here and spend a couple of months editing in my basement :lol

baseline bum
06-26-2005, 02:35 PM
whoops... meant to send this as a PM

Slomo
06-26-2005, 02:37 PM
I actually have video from game 1 and game 2 that's about 1.4 GB each that looks really amazing. It's from an HD broadcast and looks cleaner than the footage on any of the DVD games I have, and way better than VCR. It doesn't have the blockiness that MPEG encoding introduces. The video codec is X264 and the audio is Vorbis. The colors are spectacular and fullscreen on my monitor looks flat-out amazing... so good that when I showed my roommate a shot where they showed the SA skyline he said it was like looking through a window. I got an XViD (MPEG-4) encoded version of game 7 from an HD source that was 1.3 GB and it looked terrible... way worse than VCR quality even. I can't believe how good X264 looks.
There a few very good codecs like the X264 out there. The main problem is that they are designed fot IT and are very difficult to translate to classic video - but it can be done and if the source material is really good (as in your example) it's worth the extra work. The only problem is that you need a lot of disc space since once converted it will not be as small.

BB what's the resolution of the picture? With which software do you watch it?

T Park
06-26-2005, 02:39 PM
what would be most awesome.

Is to get every win from the regular season and the post season.

Id pay 500 or more for that.

slayermin
06-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Dual layer DVD's were $8.00 each, the last time I checked. Compared to the single layer DVD's that are like 50cents or so each, using dual layered DVD's could be expensive.

You may not need a dual layered burner, just another hard disk to complete the editing.

spurschick
06-26-2005, 03:16 PM
Unfortunately, everything I have is on VHS, but I will contribute to DVD disks or help in any way to get this project moving. My VCR chose to not work yesterday, so I didn't get a recording of the parade or dome rally and I'm really bummed. What you're doing sounds awesome!

Kori Ellis
06-26-2005, 03:20 PM
As I've said on this forum at least 1,000 times. You cannot copy/redistribute NBA game tape in any way, shape or form. So any project such as this CANNOT include any tape of any Spurs games unless you have written the NBA and received permission.

Thanks.

LilMissSPURfect
06-26-2005, 03:23 PM
where do i place my order? :spin

I think its awesome if anyone can get all these celebrations onto dvd! "A moment to remeber thats for sure!" Please count me in if you get it on dvd. Even if you don't want to charge. I think just the work alone it worth a little some thing.
thanks in advance!

Slomo
06-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Actually I thought that if it was done for free - without any comercial value - as a fan project for a group of friends that it would be OK.

But I checked and I'm afraid Kori is correct. Any distribution is prohibited.

Horry For 3!
06-26-2005, 03:26 PM
I wish I could help out but I have no games saved :(. I might could get some DVD-RWs though.

Kori Ellis
06-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Actually I thought that if it was done for free - without any comercial value - as a fan project for a group of friends that it would be OK.

But I checked and I'm afraid Kori is correct. Any distribution is prohibited.

Not only is it prohibited, but sites like ours can get shut down for promoting such a thing.

So like I just said, you guys CANNOT include game tape on this project. Unless you want to write to the NBA and somehow get permission.

MannyIsGod
06-26-2005, 04:34 PM
Kori, I'm sorry.

I was under the impression it was ok as long as it was not for profit.

The project is now officaly over.

Faccia di Angelo
06-26-2005, 04:38 PM
:( That sucks. Sounds like it would have been great! But we definitely don't want to jeoporadize anything.

It is now officially an 'underground' project..hehe j/k :)

jalbre6
06-26-2005, 04:45 PM
This is like going to a head shop and asking for tobacco rolling papers.

Kong
06-26-2005, 05:20 PM
Kori, may I make a suggestion that this thread be locked and deleted? Nothing against any one in here, but as a librarian, I don't think any one wants to get caught up in copyright infringement litigation.