PDA

View Full Version : Report: Ferry agreed to five-year, $10 million deal

Manu20
06-26-2005, 02:41 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2094976

The Cleveland Cavaliers were set to make Danny Ferry their general manager on Saturday, but while he was on his way to Cleveland, he stopped short of finalizing the contract for undisclosed reasons, The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported.

Ferry, director of basketball operations for the San Antonio Spurs, reportedly had agreed to a five-year, $10 million deal, the paper reported.

The Cavs had been expected to announce a news conference introducing Ferry to the media early next week.

According to a report by The News-Herald last week, Ferry's hiring hinged on Detroit Pistons coach Larry Brown accepting the Cavs offer of becoming team president.

Ferry has been in the Spurs' front office since September 2003 after playing 13 NBA seasons.

Kori Ellis
06-26-2005, 02:45 PM
So I wonder why it didn't get finalized.

This report says that Ferry wanted to be there if Larry Brown accepted. But some people believe it's the other way around -- he wants to be there if Larry Brown does NOT accept.

Interesting.

T Park
06-26-2005, 02:50 PM
IMO no biggie, I dont think Danny Ferry was any huge prodigy to worry about like Buford or what not.

Be interesting who the Spurs use to fill that position.....

timvp
06-26-2005, 03:01 PM
I doubt Ferry wants to go to Cleveland if Larry Brown has the final call on everything. He'd just be a token GM, then.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2005, 03:09 PM
The new owners better get someone good. Paxson was screwed after pulling off one of the better lemons-to-lemonade turnarounds in recent memory with the Gooden pickup and clearing capspace for this summer.

boutons
06-26-2005, 05:11 PM
$2M year? Team mgmt salaries clearly benefit from the player's inflated salaries.