PDA

View Full Version : Family-friendly vegetarian recipes? (no carnivorist)

Summers
10-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Okay, so maybe we *are* hippie commie pinko fags, but we don't consider ourselves vegetarians. Recently, however, I've decided to try to meal-plan around a lot less meat than we usually buy, for health, financial, and environmental reasons. Turns out we don't miss or crave the meat like we thought we would and we're all eating a lot more veggies, which can't be bad for us. Looking for vegetarian recipes that won't frighten the children has been challenging, because I don't think it'd be fair to try to force kale or tofu on them when our diet until now has been a standard Southern repertoire. I've found a handful of really good, filling recipes that we all liked. I was wondering if anyone has any yummy go-to vegetarian dinner recipes you can share. And let me preempt the pervs on the board by saying you don't need to feel sorry for RG--I still like the bone. :rolleyes

Latarian Milton
10-08-2012, 10:44 AM
vegetables are better food than meat imho it makes me feel disgusted eating meat everytime i think of the fact that it's actually animals' dead corpses

clambake
10-08-2012, 10:53 AM
slice eggplant like sandwich bread
mix evoo and balsamic, brush on both sides and grill both sides
take off grill
build like sandwich
basil leaves, very thin slice onion or shallot, thin slice tomato and a little goat cheese, a little salt and pepper
(i recommend a little prosciutto added)
put back on grill for short time to re-heat (both sides)
use knife and fork (don't attempt to eat like sandwich)

Drachen
10-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Ok, take a chili pot and slice portobella mushrooms and brown them with fajita seasoning, crushed garlic, diced onions, salt and pepper (use a small amount of olive oil and about a half cup of water in the bottom. After all is browned, put two cartons of vegetable stock (I use chicken stock, but whatever) into the pot and add dried beans/lentils/etc. I use 3 cups of this stuff (http://nutmegnotebook.com/2011/02/tru-roots-sprouted-bean-trio-review-weight-watchers-pointsplus-3/). Then I add a can of black beans and a can of corn (obviously you could get dry versions of these too). I also add a can of diced tomatoes. Let it simmer until the dried beans are done while checking the taste and amending if necessary. It makes about 16 cups. I usually make some on sunday and it is a good stew type of meal to have throughout the week for lunch(and very filling) .

mrsmaalox
10-08-2012, 12:18 PM
For fast dinners I usually go for the filled pastas; all kids love ravioli and a mix of cheese filled with mushroom or squash filled is really good. I love tofu, it's the only way I prepare stir fry but most kids are too smart to fall for the "it's like cheese" line :lol

I suggest you look up Mollie Katzen's Moosewood cookbooks. I have several that I have cooked from for years, they are very family friendly.

timvp
10-08-2012, 01:05 PM
I had to learn to cook vegetarian with the added challenge of no diary, grains/starches, oil or processed foods. After some rough patches early, I actually grew to like it ... even though it's always difficult to convince the kids to eat it.

Random recommendations:

Crockpot chili
Add a bag of kidney beans and two cups of water plus an assortment of diced vegetables (onion, red bell pepper, zucchini and garlic is my favorite combo) to the crockpot. Season with a teaspoon of cumin and two teaspoons of chili powder. Put on low for seven hours.

Oven-roasted asparagus
Put the oven at 450 degrees and season a tray of asparagus with garlic powder and chili powder. Roast for about 15 minutes until they start to turn brown. (Works best with fatter asparagus because it remains juicier after cooking.)

Grilled Tofu
Get a package of tofu. Drain the water but don't dry the tofu. Cut it length-wise into big strips. Grill with soy sauce on high until golden.

Green shake
Three cups of spinach, one cup of kale, two whole tomatoes, one cucumber (a big one) and juice from a lime (or lemon). Add four or five ice cubes and half a cup of water. Put it in a blender. Enjoy.

Those are some of my go-to items that I can also usually force on the kids. If I'm making a salad for myself or the kids, I like to add cinnamon and paprika instead of salad dressing. Kori thinks it's disgusting but I (and the kids) like it.

Oh, and by far the best places to shop for vegetables in S.A. is Sprouts and Green Fields Market. It's usually cheaper than you can find elsewhere (especially if you build your menu around what's on sale that week) and the quality is much better.

Summers
10-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Y'all have given me some good ideas! Thanks so much! :)

Maalox, I'll check out the cookbook. Also, do you buy fresh ravioli rounds or make them?

Timvp, people keep telling me asparagus is delicious if it's cooked right, but I've never tasted an asparagus I thought was good. I'm willing to try it again. Also, regarding salad dressing, I usually add salt to salad dressing (I know, it's already really salty) because I'll use a lot less. I used to thin Ranch down with soy sauce and milk and use very little. Then I realized how easy it is to whip up homemade dressing and we don't even keep dressing in the fridge any more. I just make a little as I'm making dinner (vinaigrette for RG, ranch for me and the kids). I make it a little thin and salty so I don't use much. The kids use too much, of course, but, on the other hand, they're eating their salad!

DieMrBond
10-09-2012, 09:36 AM
These are a couple of our favourites at the moment...

Helen's Crockpot Vegetable Soup
http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotsoup/r/bl77c6.htm

Cumin Pumpkin Noodles with Ginger & Lime
http://foodiewanderings.blogspot.com.au/2010/01/cumin-pumpkin-noodles-with-ginger-lime.html

Raw Pad Thai
http://rawon10.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/may-1-2011.html

Wild mushroom ragout
http://www.mainlyveggie.com/2011/01/wild-mushroom-ragout-4-servings.html

Barbecue Portobello Quesadillas
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/barbecue_portobello_quesadillas.html

Vietnamese Summer Rolls with Mango and Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce
http://www.veggiebelly.com/2010/08/vietnamese-summer-rolls-mango-sweet-chili-dipping-sauce.html

And of course, Sushi with Cucumber, Carrot and Avocado.

Summers
10-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Surprisingly, that cumin pumpkin noodles recipe looks delicious. I printed the recipe and will give it a try in the next week or two. Thanks!

Agloco
10-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Green shake
Three cups of spinach, one cup of kale, two whole tomatoes, one cucumber (a big one) and juice from a lime (or lemon). Add four or five ice cubes and half a cup of water. Put it in a blender. Enjoy.

I've tried a variant of this before. Highly recommend. I think they used kelp? Not sure though

leemajors
10-09-2012, 10:39 AM
I've tried a variant of this before. Highly recommend. I think they used kelp? Not sure though

probably Kale. Kale, ginger, peach and agave is another good one.

gameFACE
10-09-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm not a vegan but I make a bad ass mushroom and avocado omlette. Sautee crimini mushrooms in a little olive oil. Mash the avocado like guac. Whip up 2 eggs and put the batter in a pan also with olive oil. Flip the omlette, spread 1/2 the guac and shrooms. Fold or roll the egg and add the other 1/2 on top. I sometimes add grated parmesan or oaxaca cheese.

Agloco
10-09-2012, 08:39 PM

:lol

Yeah, that was it I think. I just remember it being remarkably good.

phxspurfan
10-09-2012, 08:44 PM
smoothie I have every morning

1 cup fresh kale (about a half of the big leaf)
half an apple, chopped
3-4 chopped strawberries
5-6 blueberries
5-6 raspberries
1 organic banana
about 2 cups water
1 scoop protein powder and 1 small capfull of glutamine (if the day after a workout or the day before a workout)

blend (Nutribullet)

I also have one hard boiled egg. All vegetarian unless you count eggs. Then just don't use the egg. It's a tasty treat

phxspurfan
10-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Dinner: baked sweet potato (pierce with fork, cut down middle, use butter if you want, cookie sheet 45m @ 425)
rice (white or brown I usually choose white but if you're hardcore brown)
Tofu if that's your thing, I slapped a huge thing of tofu on the Weber last week and it turned out like a burger
sauteed spinach with more butter, chopped asparagus
boiled beets (I know you're not supposed to boil but w/e, loses some nutrients but tastes good still)

AussieFanKurt
10-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Pasta and a non-meat sauce?

ploto
10-10-2012, 08:14 AM
I second the pasta recommendations, especially for kids. There are all sorts of vegetable lasagnas and pasta sauces that are tomato or cheese-based. You could also try homemade pizzas.

leemajors
10-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Dinner: baked sweet potato (pierce with fork, cut down middle, use butter if you want, cookie sheet 45m @ 425)
rice (white or brown I usually choose white but if you're hardcore brown)
Tofu if that's your thing, I slapped a huge thing of tofu on the Weber last week and it turned out like a burger
sauteed spinach with more butter, chopped asparagus
boiled beets (I know you're not supposed to boil but w/e, loses some nutrients but tastes good still)

you should just steam the beets, or throw them on the weber

mrsmaalox
10-10-2012, 08:30 AM

This one sounds good. My dad forces green shakes on us when he visits and my kids do much better with it than I do. When I visit him next week, I'll come armed with this recipe and hope for a better experience :tu

marini martini
10-10-2012, 09:30 AM
you should just steam the beets, or throw them on the weber

I love beets. I didn't know you weren't supposed to boil them, but then I just buy the jars. LoL! How do you prepare them for the Weber? Do you peel them, wrap them in foil........wha????

InRareForm
10-10-2012, 11:01 AM
I made veggie stuffed green peppers.

Pretty easy. 2 green peppers sliced.

sauted some onions/garlic then in a bowl

mix in breadcrumbs, tomatoes, salt, pepper, parsley. Mix in whatever else you desire tbh..

bake in oven @ 400 degrees in foil for 15 minute, remove foil, put back in oven for 5 more minutes.

good shit

leemajors
10-10-2012, 11:04 AM
I love beets. I didn't know you weren't supposed to boil them, but then I just buy the jars. LoL! How do you prepare them for the Weber? Do you peel them, wrap them in foil........wha????

You can wrap em in foil and roast them like potatoes, or slice, oil, season and grill them. They caramelize quite nicely. Most root veggie preparations can be adapted to any other fairly easily.

leemajors
10-10-2012, 11:04 AM
double

Heath Ledger
05-10-2013, 05:30 AM
Buy a spiralizer on Amazon and make zuchinni noodles as your pasta. Then pour over hot marinara sauce. You will not know the difference between those noodles and regular pasta. You can also do this with the noodles cooked or raw same result they will just have a bit of a crunch. My baby son loves this.

I went through somewhat of a health crisis this past year in an out of hospitals for 7 months doctors gave no diagnosis just kep giving me all kinds of pills would have me believe I might have MS. After I wasn't getting any better I told them to stick the pills up their ass. Quit them all cold turkey and drastically changed my diet. I lost 30 lbs and Im now eating a mostly plant based diet. Fresh juices and smoothies every day, no dairy, cheese, eggs or meat. Problems solved and I had some very serious shit going on. My doctors are officially fucking fired.

My diet falls pretty close to the 80 10 10 diet very high in fruit low in fat.