PDA

View Full Version : Is Messi the greatest player with the Ball?

whitemamba
10-08-2012, 12:29 PM
ive been watching his ball handle and he is honestly amazing, he runs circles around defenses... i still personally give zidane the edge, but cant count out pirlo or ronaldinho(in his prime), but messi is just so smooth with it,

discuss

ElNono
10-08-2012, 02:04 PM
see:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149129

Jodelo
10-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Agree with Zidane. There is no better player than him.

Not taking anything away from Messi, amazing what he does!

DAF86
10-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Zidane's ball control was more elegant, kinda of artistic but Messi is more effective, more of a non nonsense straightforward style.

Zidane could have never scored a goal like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vmm-xCq4To

In terms of ball-control/dribbling only Maradona can be compared to Messi.

lefty
10-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Lol Maradonna shits on Messi

DAF86
10-08-2012, 07:05 PM
I won't post any fact, analysis or reason. I will just say something with "lol" in front and hope people buy it.

Bitching!

SAtown
10-08-2012, 07:32 PM
I don't think I'll ever see a better ball handler than Ronaldinho in his Barcelona days. Absolutely ridiculous skill

ALVAREZ6
10-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Current players, I think Messi and Iniesta are ball control equals. You can't forget about Iniesta, he's so damn smooth with the ball the way he dances around several defenders. What separates Messi from all else is basically his control of the ball at full (or nearly full) sprint. I'd say he and Iniesta have about equal ball control, but Messi can simply sustain it at higher speeds.

lefty
10-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Bitching!
Yeah because your "facts" are facts :lmao

SAtown
10-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Messi is ridiculous though when he's "slaloming" through defenders. It's silky smooth, reminds me of a cat. His height is his strength tbh

DAF86
10-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Yeah because your "facts" are facts :lmao

Last time I checked, all the goals/titles/records I said Messi scored/won/broke really happened.

TDMVPDPOY
10-08-2012, 07:48 PM
being a midget helps

now if he was tall and strong like toure or dembele, who just muscles their way through traffic, now thats different

lefty
10-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Last time I checked, all the goals/titles/records I said Messi scored/won/broke really happened.
Solid facts

Too bad Messi plays on a stacked team in a 2 clubs league

Bynumite
10-08-2012, 09:39 PM
lolno... Ronaldinho completely shits on the midget in that department.

I'm surprised barcafans don't mention him more often but all they see is midget tbh.

People forget how great Ronaldinho was, maybe because he left Barca when a young midget was starting to shine. Youth and senior world cups, Champions League, La Liga, Serie A etc. the man won it all.

Dude had fast, unpredictable moves and tricks with the ball and often humiliated opposing defenders and was also a great passer.

TDMVPDPOY
10-09-2012, 02:19 AM
lolno... Ronaldinho completely shits on the midget in that department.

I'm surprised barcafans don't mention him more often but all they see is midget tbh.

People forget how great Ronaldinho was, maybe because he left Barca when a young midget was starting to shine. Youth and senior world cups, Champions League, La Liga, Serie A etc. the man won it all.

Dude had fast, unpredictable moves and tricks with the ball and often humiliated opposing defenders and was also a great passer.

nah dude got fat, didnt help when eto left too....they were stacked and made barca relevant the period he was there, was also very short

ElNono
10-09-2012, 02:26 AM
I agree with Ronaldinho, Zidane and a few others (ie: Iniesta) having better ball control when standing still or at a slow pace. But on the run, Missi is second to none, IMO. What he has going for him is that he hasn't lost much speed with age.

Maradona, for a great part of his career, was another guy you couldn't take the ball away from him, period. Much like Ronaldinho, when he got older and chunkier he learned how to use his body to protect the ball better.

Just great players all of them, and each one of those could embarrass a defender at any given time.

Bynumite
10-09-2012, 12:04 PM
nah dude got fat, didnt help when eto left too....they were stacked and made barca relevant the period he was there, was also very short
Yeah, because Messi's current team is so unstacked, right? I have yet to see Messi win anything relevant without Barca's midfield behind him. Meanwhile, go check Ronaldinho's trophy case and what he won with multiple teams.

And why are you talking about longevity when i'm clearly discussing Ronaldinho's prime years and his ball handling skills during those years?

Sure, at some point he stopped giving a fuck but when he was great he was really great, that's it.

Relevancy
10-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Yeah, because Messi's current team is so unstacked, right? I have yet to see Messi win anything relevant without Barca's midfield behind him. Meanwhile, go check Ronaldinho's trophy case and what he won with multiple teams.

And why are you talking about longevity when i'm clearly discussing Ronaldinho's prime years and his ball handling skills during those years?

Sure, at some point he stopped giving a fuck but when he was great he was really great, that's it.So let me get this straight, you don't give credit to Messi because he's on a stack team?:lol What about all those records he has broken? Those amazing goals he has scored, Messi hasn't reached anything in the International level because his team is not well equipped defense-wise, I always laugh at people who say Messi doesn't do shit with Argentina, have you even seen Argentina games? It's either because his teammates miss or because of the lack of defense.

Bynumite
10-09-2012, 05:30 PM
So let me get this straight, you don't give credit to Messi because he's on a stack team?:lol What about all those records he has broken? Those amazing goals he has scored, Messi hasn't reached anything in the International level because his team is not well equipped defense-wise, I always laugh at people who say Messi doesn't do shit with Argentina, have you even seen Argentina games? It's either because his teammates miss or because of the lack of defense.

I was being sarcastic because the poster i quoted used the stacked argument when referring to Ronaldinho's Barca team, as if Messi plays on shit teams. I wasn't discrediting what the midget accomplished throughout his career.

But what Ronaldinho accomplished on a national team level with Brazil is something Messi can only dream about and that's a fact. Like i said before, youth and senior World Cup winner.

Right now, Ronaldinho has the superior resume but he's nearing the end of his career, while the midget is 25 years old and in his prime.

whitemamba
10-09-2012, 06:52 PM
I agree with Ronaldinho, Zidane and a few others (ie: Iniesta) having better ball control when standing still or at a slow pace. But on the run, Missi is second to none, IMO. What he has going for him is that he hasn't lost much speed with age.

Maradona, for a great part of his career, was another guy you couldn't take the ball away from him, period. Much like Ronaldinho, when he got older and chunkier he learned how to use his body to protect the ball better.

Just great players all of them, and each one of those could embarrass a defender at any given time.

lost speed to to age?? wtf hes 25... hes at the prime of his career,,

i do agree with you though i think right now on the run, he is the best... u see him regularly shit on defenses...his passing ability as well during the multiple defender situations are pretty good as well. but all time, im still thinkin zidane

ALVAREZ6
10-09-2012, 07:36 PM
I was being sarcastic because the poster i quoted used the stacked argument when referring to Ronaldinho's Barca team, as if Messi plays on shit teams. I wasn't discrediting what the midget accomplished throughout his career.

But what Ronaldinho accomplished on a national team level with Brazil is something Messi can only dream about and that's a fact. Like i said before, youth and senior World Cup winner.

Right now, Ronaldinho has the superior resume but he's nearing the end of his career, while the midget is 25 years old and in his prime.
I'm sure Ronaldinho's Brazil teams had defenses...even the benched defensive players...much better than what Argentina is putting out there. In this era, all great teams start with a solid, reliable defense. You can't win shit without one no matter how stacked you are offensively, period. Argentina is really only stacked at forward/winger position. There are some good midfielders as well, one good attacking midfielder in Pastore (who never gets playing time for Argentina anyway), but nothing along the lines of Pirlo, Xavi, Iniesta, Ozil, etc.

That's just my opinion on the repetitive "Messi doesn't do shit with Argentina" argument that is so popular. It's like when LeBron didn't do shit during the 7-8 years in Cleveland...well no shit, it's a team game, and everyone with functional eyes can see he was still clearly the best all around player in the league, without a doubt. Championship count arguments are retarded in 90% of cases imo, especially when it comes to the WC which is played every 4 years (so a great player may only get 2-4 cases depending on injuries) and is in a sport where chemistry among 11 players is critical.

Getting back on topic though...it doesn't get much better than Ronaldinho and Maradona, probably Zidane too but I haven't seen much of him in action. I still hold my opinion that Iniesta probably has the best ball control in the game today, but he's simply not as fast as Messi and can't control the ball past defenders at the same speeds.

ElNono
10-10-2012, 11:04 PM
lost speed to to age?? wtf hes 25... hes at the prime of his career

Maradona was also a player that was fast when he was young, but at around that age (25 years old, 1986), he started to lose speed and became more of a pass/assist guy. He was still phenomenal, but age and speed eventually matters.

The good thing about Messi is that he's been improving in other areas, like passing and free kicks.

Relevancy
10-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Maradona was also a player that was fast when he was young, but at around that age (25 years old, 1986), he started to lose speed and became more of a pass/assist guy. He was still phenomenal, but age and speed eventually matters.

The good thing about Messi is that he's been improving in other areas, like passing and free kicks.Who do you think is more of a "once in a decade" player Nono, Ronaldo or Messi?

lefty
10-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Who do you think is more of a "once in a decade" player Nono, Ronaldo or Messi?

Neither

whitemamba
10-12-2012, 01:44 AM

The good thing about Messi is that he's been improving in other areas, like passing and free kicks.

i havent really seen messi slow down yet, like soccer players hit that wall and you begin to see the decline... i still think he is at the peak right now

ElNono
10-12-2012, 01:57 AM
Who do you think is more of a "once in a decade" player Nono, Ronaldo or Messi?

I think Messi is doing something special, tbh... you can always argue Barca is a stacked team, but you gotta go out there and score the goals. Etoo, Ibra, Villa, Pedro, etc are not the ones setting records out there...

I have the utmost respect for Ronaldo though. He was incredible when he played for Barca and really the top man for Brazil in the 2002 World Cup...

100%duncan
10-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Zidane imo.

lefty
10-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Please

Those guys shit on everybody else:

http://www.parlonsfoot.com/images/user/Olive%20et%20tom.gifhttp://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/3697921_o.gifhttp://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs7/3473777_o.gif

symple19
10-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Zidane was amazing. Messi is still probably the best today, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this guy (who is very close, imo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqGA6tr7FaU&hd=1

symple19
10-13-2012, 11:07 PM
1. Messi

2. Neymar

3. Iniesta

4. Ronaldo

ALVAREZ6
10-15-2012, 07:48 PM
If Messi, Iniesta, Neymar, and Ronaldo all played on the same team they could straight clown around with the ball on offense and hold onto it forever. CROFL 3/4 of them might be on the same team within a year or two.

resistanze
10-16-2012, 02:28 PM
If Messi, Iniesta, Neymar, and Ronaldo all played on the same team they could straight clown around with the ball on offense and hold onto it forever. CROFL 3/4 of them might be on the same team within a year or two.

Throw Demebele in central midfield for extra lulz.

symple19
10-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Dembele is a boss. Love watching him too