PDA

View Full Version : Pflugerville ISD to offer domestic partner benefits

Winehole23
10-08-2012, 01:30 PM
The Pflugerville school district will be the first in Central Texas — and probably the first in the state — to offer insurance benefits to same-sex and heterosexual domestic partners.

While nearly 200 cities, counties and other municipalities nationwide offer domestic partner benefits, only a few school districts sprinkled across the country offer such benefits.

“It’s a strong statement of anti-discrimination,” Pflugerville Superintendent Charles Dupre said. “We’re going to advocate for equity and social justice and set expectations for valuing our employees. We went into this knowing with our eyes open that there’d be people who weren’t supportive of the idea, but we’d been having hard discussions about social justice.

“You have to make decisions that are not popular but are in the best interest of the organization and the people of the organization,” Dupre said.

National and Texas education groups, as well as civil liberty groups, did not know of any other school districts in Texas that offer domestic partner benefits.

The 23,262-student Pflugerville district, which touts its collaborative decision-making on employee matters, moved forward with the idea after it was recommended by an insurance benefits advisory committee of school workers.

School district employees can begin enrolling the week of Oct. 15; the benefits go into effect Jan. 1. The school board did not need to vote on the issue.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/pflugerville-district-first-in-texas-to-offer-bene/nSWRX/

boutons_deux
10-08-2012, 01:39 PM
they're going straight to hell :lol

George Gervin's Afro
10-08-2012, 01:40 PM
we need domestic partner benefits for non married heteros ..

TeyshaBlue
10-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Ignorant, homo-hating bubbas.

Wait.....

Drachen
10-08-2012, 01:44 PM
we need domestic partner benefits for non married heteros ..

the first line in the article states that it is for both homo and hetero couples.

George Gervin's Afro
10-08-2012, 01:59 PM
the first line in the article states that it is for both homo and hetero couples.

I'm talking about everywhere else

Drachen
10-08-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm talking about everywhere else

are there any places which have same-sex domestic partnership benefits that dont have opposex domestic partner benefits?

George Gervin's Afro
10-08-2012, 02:13 PM
are there any places which have same-sex domestic partnership benefits that dont have opposex domestic partner benefits?

at my company there is same sex but not opposite sex

Drachen
10-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Interesting. I guess they figure you can get married, they cant.

CubanMustGo
10-08-2012, 02:39 PM
P'ville is one of the less-well off suburbs of Austin, for those who may be unaware.

Bartleby
10-08-2012, 02:42 PM
When I was in grad school I could have put my domestic partner on my benefits plan if we had been the same sex, but wasn't able to because we were a hetero couple.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-08-2012, 03:02 PM
If anyone can designate a 'domestic partner' arbitrarily then I fully support this.

If this only benefits married couples and homosexuals but leaves the rest of us out then that is pretty fucked. FWIW, if that is the case then it's just as discriminatory as it was before.

Blake
10-08-2012, 03:17 PM
at my company there is same sex but not opposite sex

That's odd

TeyshaBlue
10-08-2012, 03:48 PM
If anyone can designate a 'domestic partner' arbitrarily then I fully support this.

If this only benefits married couples and homosexuals but leaves the rest of us out then that is pretty fucked. FWIW, if that is the case then it's just as discriminatory as it was before.

No, it's all inclusive....if you're over 50.:p:

CubanMustGo
10-08-2012, 06:46 PM

There was a list of things you had to do to qualify, like show that you're living in the same house. You didn't have to be married. List shown at bottom of the URL in OP's message.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-08-2012, 08:01 PM
No, it's all inclusive....if you're over 50.:p:

Damn ba....

:lol i see what you did there.

There was a list of things you had to do to qualify, like show that you're living in the same house. You didn't have to be married. List shown at bottom of the URL in OP's message.

I completely missed that when i read it. it was a different font bullet point and just tuned it out. Looks like there are pretty easy standards to meet.

Bender
10-08-2012, 09:13 PM

those requirements basically seem like being 95% married :(