PDA

View Full Version : owner of timeshare company threatens to fire employees if Obama wins

Trill Clinton
10-09-2012, 03:09 PM
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/10/09/978211/david-siegel-fire-employees/?mobile=nc

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Screen-shot-2012-10-09-at-3.04.09-PM.pngThe CEO of a massive timeshare company sent an email about the upcoming election to his employees yesterday, threatening to fire some of them if President Obama wins re-election.
David Siegel, who owns Florida-based Westgate Resorts, sent an email (http://gawker.com/5950189/the-ceo-who-built-himself-americas-largest-house-just-threatened-to-fire-his-employees-if-obamas-elected?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_twitter&utm_source=gawker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow) to all his employees yesterday to discuss the upcoming election. “The economy doesn’t currently pose a threat to your job,” Siegel wrote, noting that the company is “the most profitable [it's] ever been.” “What does threaten your job however, is another 4 years of the same Presidential administration.” He went on to say that although he “can’t tell you whom to vote for,” if Obama is re-elected, it would mean “fewer jobs, less benefits and certainly less opportunity for everyone.”
Here are a few select paragraphs from the email:

Subject: Message from David Siegel
Date:Mon, 08 Oct 2012 13:58:05 -0400 (EDT)
To: [All employees]
To All My Valued Employees,
As most of you know our company, Westgate Resorts, has continued to succeed in spite of a very dismal economy. There is no question that the economy has changed for the worse and we have not seen any improvement over the past four years. In spite of all of the challenges we have faced, the good news is this: The economy doesn’t currently pose a threat to your job. What does threaten your job however, is another 4 years of the same Presidential administration. Of course, as your employer, I can’t tell you whom to vote for, and I certainly wouldn’t interfere with your right to vote for whomever you choose. In fact, I encourage you to vote for whomever you think will serve your interests the best.
However, let me share a few facts that might help you decide what is in your best interest.
[...]
So where am I going with all this? It’s quite simple. If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, as our current President plans, I will have no choice but to reduce the size of this company. Rather than grow this company I will be forced to cut back. This means fewer jobs, less benefits and certainly less opportunity for everyone.
So, when you make your decision to vote, ask yourself, which candidate understands the economics of business ownership and who doesn’t? Whose policies will endanger your job? Answer those questions and you should know who might be the one capable of protecting and saving your job. While the media wants to tell you to believe the “1 percenters” are bad, I’m telling you they are not. They create most of the jobs. If you lose your job, it won’t be at the hands of the “1%”; it will be at the hands of a political hurricane that swept through this country.
You can view the email in full here (http://gawker.com/5950189/the-ceo-who-built-himself-americas-largest-house-just-threatened-to-fire-his-employees-if-obamas-elected?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_twitter&utm_source=gawker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow).
Siegel earned national notoriety this year for his quest to build the biggest house in America (http://www.magpictures.com/thequeenofversailles/), “a sprawling, 90,000-square-foot mansion inspired by Versailles.”
In a bizarre twist, Siegel’s email was modeled after a fake letter (http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/valuedemployees.asp) that made the rounds on the internet during the last last presidential election. He confirmed his own email’s authenticity in a phone call to Gawker, saying that “it speaks the truth” and gives employees “something to think about when they go to the polls.”
ThinkProgress reached out to Siegel for comment, but no response was given.

TeyshaBlue
10-09-2012, 03:22 PM
lol thinkprogress.

boutons_deux
10-09-2012, 03:33 PM
King Siegel's golden throne :lol

TB :lol

Wild Cobra
10-09-2012, 03:34 PM
What's wrong with being honest about how new taxed impact a business?

CosmicCowboy
10-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Damn, that dudes a pimp!

jack sommerset
10-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Fire? " I can’t tell you whom to vote for, and I certainly wouldn’t interfere with your right to vote for whomever you choose. In fact, I encourage you to vote for whomever you think will serve your interests the best."

Doesn't sound like he will fire anyone plus no way he will know who voted for who so no story. God bless

scott
10-09-2012, 03:52 PM
What's wrong with being honest about how new taxed impact a business?

Great question. Why can't people be honest?

If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, as our current President plans, I will have no choice but to reduce the size of this company.

Is this what you call honest? Because it sounds like bullshit to most people with a brain.

TeyshaBlue
10-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Dude says higher taxes will hurt the bottom line.

That's some hard-hitting analysis from the moonbats at thinkprogress.borg.

TeyshaBlue
10-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Pretty sure that's a dead cat on his baby grand piano.

scott
10-09-2012, 03:54 PM
"If I only get to keep 62 cents on the dollar instead of 65, I will be forced to forgo millions!"

It's either dishonest or really stupid business.

TeyshaBlue
10-09-2012, 03:55 PM
"If I only get to keep 62 cents on the dollar instead of 65, I will be forced to forgo millions!"

It's either dishonest or really stupid business.

The dude has a throne. Shut your piehole.

scott
10-09-2012, 03:56 PM
But I suppose all these business that close because Obama wins can just move to Canada and sell to all the Americans who moved there after Bush won.

scott
10-09-2012, 03:56 PM

scott
10-09-2012, 03:57 PM
The dude has a throne. Shut your piehole.

Game. Set. Match.

TeyshaBlue
10-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Cant argue with a throne, or a dead cat.

Wild Cobra
10-09-2012, 04:02 PM
How many of you read his whole email?

TeyshaBlue
10-09-2012, 04:05 PM
I did. But srsly. A throne?

TeyshaBlue
10-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Where you been coyotes_geek?

RandomGuy
10-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Color me unsurprised.

Apologetics for a red teamer telling his employees how to vote, and the usual suspects see nothing wrong.

Sigh.

Does anyone doubt that if this guy had told his employees that voting for Romney would potentially endanger their jobs, the same people who don't see a problem here would suddently be screaming bloody murder?

coyotes_geek
10-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Pretty sure that's a dead cat on his baby grand piano.

Poor cat. Just couldn't hang on long enough to see his owner, Ernst Blofeld aka David Siegel, go legit by getting Spectre into the timeshare business..........

http://files.stickytrigger.com/200002826-6ba976ca35/3.png

RandomGuy
10-09-2012, 04:15 PM
You see, I can no longer support a system that penalizes the productive and gives to the unproductive. My motivation to work and to provide jobs will be destroyed, and with it, so will your opportunities.

Oh the drama. (rolls eyes)

"If my taxes go up even slightly, I will suddenly throw my hands up and give up earning all this money, and throw in the towel"

GMAFB.

Go ahead. We will call your bluff, fuckwad. Get the fuck out of business, and someone else will step in and do the exact same thing, who will bitch less. Welcome to capitalism.

TeyshaBlue
10-09-2012, 04:17 PM
I've gone through this for more than one election cycle and have been appraised of problems with voting Bush & Co. I've never felt like it was worth a thread....much less a blog article.

But, blue team seems to enjoy them, so all's good.

RandomGuy
http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Screen-shot-2012-10-09-at-3.04.09-PM.png

[/B]

http://sfist.com/attachments/SFist_Brock/crybaby.png

TeyshaBlue
Poor cat. Just couldn't hang on long enough to see his owner, Ernst Blofeld aka David Siegel, go legit by getting Spectre into the timeshare business..........

http://files.stickytrigger.com/200002826-6ba976ca35/3.png

:lmao:lmao

jack sommerset
10-09-2012, 04:18 PM
How many of you read his whole email?

I think they read it but they are confused. No one is going to get fired for voting for the blue team. No one is "telling" them how to vote.. Think progress got em worked up. Silly. God bless

coyotes_geek
Where you been coyotes_geek?

Been a busy couple of weeks. Took a vacation with a bunch of work piled up before I went and after I got back.

TeyshaBlue
This just in:

People can be douchebags!

Go figure.

TeyshaBlue
10-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Been a busy couple of weeks. Took a vacation with a bunch of work piled up before I went and after I got back.

What? You don't have peasants for those chores?

#greypoupon

Wild Cobra
10-09-2012, 04:20 PM
I did. But srsly. A throne?
Yes, the throne looks bad. Are you going to assume it's purpose? Aren't there any positive possibilities as to why he has it? Is it possible someone wanting to do a hit piece asked him for a picture in that chair?

The media is constantly telling people what to think. They do it with imagery as well. I don't read that much into it like most people seem to.

TeyshaBlue
10-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Yes, the throne looks bad. Are you going to assume it's purpose? Aren't there any positive possibilities as to why he has it? Is it possible someone wanting to do a hit piece asked him for a picture in that chair?

The media is constantly telling people what to think. They do it with imagery as well. I don't read that much into it like most people seem to.

There are zero good reasons for a chair that hideous + dead cat + Liberace's Faberge Egg = douchebag.

clambake
10-09-2012, 04:25 PM
if he had any real friends, they'd talk to him about his furnishings.

TeyshaBlue
10-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Friends don't let friends decorate like 80 year old women.

coyotes_geek
10-09-2012, 04:26 PM
What? You don't have peasants for those chores?

#greypoupon

I do, but I've always been fond of making sure there's a noticable, yet not completely disruptive, amount of chaos around the office when I'm gone. :)

coyotes_geek
10-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Friends don't let friends decorate like 80 year old women.

He owns timeshares. In Florida. It's statistically impossible for his friends to be anything but 80 year old women.

TeyshaBlue
10-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Good point.

TeyshaBlue
10-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Must have plastic covers on the couch too.:lol

RandomGuy
10-09-2012, 04:32 PM
I think they read it but they are confused. No one is going to get fired for voting for the blue team. No one is "telling" them how to vote.. Think progress got em worked up. Silly. God bless

The implication was pretty clear, if somewhat couched.

Yes, I read the whole email.

I sympathize withe business owners, and do quite understand where he is coming from.

He could have been a bit less partisan in making his point though. He was also very one-sided in blaming government for problems, but not acknowledging the existence of public goods.

Indicative of how right-wingers can be blind to aspects of economics that they find inconvenient to their worldview, even as he rightly points out some of the shortcomings of left-wing rhetoric.

Nothing new.

baseline bum
10-09-2012, 04:33 PM
The CEO of a massive timeshare company sent an email about the upcoming election to his employees yesterday, threatening to fire some of them if President Obama wins re-election.

So a vote for Obama is a vote for less asshole scammers preying on stupid people?

clambake
10-09-2012, 04:35 PM
wants to build a 90k sf. house filled with that crap?

could you imagine having to work for this guy?

TeyshaBlue
10-09-2012, 04:41 PM
This is why thinkprogress.borg is a fucking joke. Moonbats at TP, take notice please.

http://www.salon.com/2012/10/09/the_two_forms_of_corporate_executive_influence_ill ustrated/

Trainwreck2100
10-09-2012, 04:54 PM
An interesting stratagem "I am tired of people getting paid for not working so ill make more people who can get paid for not working"

jack sommerset
10-09-2012, 04:59 PM
The implication was pretty clear, if somewhat couched.

Yes, I read the whole email.

I sympathize withe business owners, and do quite understand where he is coming from.

He could have been a bit less partisan in making his point though. He was also very one-sided in blaming government for problems, but not acknowledging the existence of public goods.

Indicative of how right-wingers can be blind to aspects of economics that they find inconvenient to their worldview, even as he rightly points out some of the shortcomings of left-wing rhetoric.

Nothing new.

Nothing new is right. God bless

boutons_deux
10-09-2012, 06:57 PM
If tasteful bully King Siegel will dispose of these people just because his taxes go up, then why are they working now? They seem to be unneeded moochers on his welfare roll.

LnGrrrR
10-09-2012, 07:16 PM
:lol I was like, "What the fuck are all these people talking about dead cats for?!?" until I spotted it. Kudos.

MannyIsGod
10-09-2012, 08:57 PM
lol thinkprogress.

Its all over the net. Not sure what it matters if TP has it too.

MannyIsGod
10-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Fire? " I can’t tell you whom to vote for, and I certainly wouldn’t interfere with your right to vote for whomever you choose. In fact, I encourage you to vote for whomever you think will serve your interests the best."

Doesn't sound like he will fire anyone plus no way he will know who voted for who so no story. God bless

My shit smells like roses. I said it so it must be true.

The rest of that letter reads like an obvious threat. He's obviously trying to sway who his employees vote for even if he says he's not.

TeyshaBlue
10-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Its all over the net. Not sure what it matters if TP has it too.
I linked a Salon article that actually contained rational commentary.....something that escapes the ZOMG MY HAIR'S ON FIRE!!!111 take from TP.borg.

boutons_deux
10-09-2012, 09:43 PM
It was a general threat, not to any specific employee. He doesn't have to know who votes which way. And it's Gecko talking about cutting taxes 20% and cutting, maybe zeroing, corporate taxes, so OBVIOUSLY this asshole wants his employees to vote for the tax cutter. Maybe his employees are better at reading between his lines than his defenders here.

z0sa
10-09-2012, 10:12 PM
:lol :lol TB

err

in a good way I mean

mavs>spurs
10-09-2012, 10:17 PM
boutons but remember romney paid a higher tax rate than you

Wild Cobra
10-10-2012, 03:21 AM
AdJYzgJ4CwI

RandomGuy
10-10-2012, 11:42 AM
This is why thinkprogress.borg is a fucking joke. Moonbats at TP, take notice please.

http://www.salon.com/2012/10/09/the_two_forms_of_corporate_executive_influence_ill ustrated/

“self-pitying, endlessly aggrieved”

Indeed.

The culture of victimhood is alive and well on the right.

"boo-hoo, i'm a victim".

GMAFB.

RandomGuy
10-10-2012, 11:44 AM
I linked a Salon article that actually contained rational commentary.....something that escapes the ZOMG MY HAIR'S ON FIRE!!!111 take from TP.borg.

Though it’s not that that confusing when you remember rich people are just as idiotic about politics as anyone else, despite what our news media always insists.

LOL

Good aricle, and you are right. It is far better than TP's take, and more informative.

TDMVPDPOY
10-10-2012, 11:49 AM

sounds like a liam nelson speech

boutons_deux
10-11-2012, 05:25 AM
Siegel is just another scumbag Gecko Man

Outrageous fortune

And so when he wasn't in the Magic Kingdom, Philippart scouted land. He settled on a site in Osceola County near Disney World called Lake Davenport Village where, he recalls, a salesman promised a subdivision to include a beach house and tennis courts. Philippart bought the pitch; three months later, he paid $8,995 cash for a 1.25-acre lot. The seller was Central Florida Investments, whose motto was "A company that can be trusted."
But 20 years later, there is no subdivision, no beach house and no tennis courts. There is not even dirt-road access to Philippart's lot. Moreover, the land remains zoned for "agricultural-conservation" use, meaning that he couldn't build a house there on fewer than five acres even if he wanted to.

Worse for Philippart, his investment did not beat inflation. Today, the Osceola County property appraiser values his land at $6,750 -- or $2,245 less than Philippart paid for it. Now a widower at 80, Philippart "would like to sell the lot so I can give the money to my daughters before I die." But he can't find a buyer.

But there's another side to the story. An examination of subdivisions that Siegel owned and sold during the 1970s and 1980s found land that is still undeveloped -- and some that is not even suitable for development, according to environmental regulators, county planning officials and private appraisers.

How did Siegel sell it at up to 600 percent markup?

By touting its proximity to Disney World, mostly. And by offering buyers easy terms: Most of Siegel's land customers financed their parcels over 10 years, paying him sometimes less than $100 a month. Siegel also cut roads through some of his land and promised to "improve" it. He even launched a boat into Lake Davenport.

When some buyers eventually began to doubt the promises they were given and sued, Siegel made heavy use of the statute of limitations. Even when federal regulators told him to offer some of his customers their money back in 1975, Siegel refused to pay. Several investors went to court and got at least part of their money back. But in dozens of cases, buyers of Siegel's property lost both their money and their land.
The celebrated story of Siegel's rise to riches overlooks those who say they were trampled in his climb. It is a cautionary tale for would-be investors, an illustration of the old maxim that the buyer beware.

http://www2.orlandoweekly.com/features/story.asp?id=1599

Behind Siegel's great fortune is the great crime of scamming buyers with worthless swampland.

jack sommerset
10-11-2012, 06:58 AM
My shit smells like roses. I said it so it must be true.

The rest of that letter reads like an obvious threat. He's obviously trying to sway who his employees vote for even if he says he's not.

Brother, that's a pretty nefty trick to get your droppings to smell like that. Asking someone to do something and threatening are two different things. Nobody is going to lose their jobs over this. He may lose some business and IMO there is a good chance some of his employees will vote the other way just out of spite. You should leave sex,politics and religion out of the work place but it is a free country. God bless

Wild Cobra
10-11-2012, 06:59 AM
Brother, that's a pretty nefty trick to get your droppings to smell like that. Asking someone to do something and threatening are two different things. Nobody is going to lose their jobs over this. He may lose some business and IMO there is a good chance his employees will vote the other way just out of spite. You should leave sex,politics and religion out of the work place but it is a free country. God bless
But Manny is God.

Just ask him!

jack sommerset
10-11-2012, 07:09 AM
“You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me."

God bless

RandomGuy
10-11-2012, 09:41 AM
“You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me."

God bless

Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him."

"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin your task right here at the Temple." So they began by killing the seventy leaders. "Defile the Temple!" the LORD commanded. "Fill its courtyards with the bodies of those you kill! Go!" So they went throughout the city and did as they were told."

boutons_deux
10-11-2012, 10:09 AM
so-called "Christians" love to cherry pick the OT and exclude all the insanity, blood-thirsty vengefulness, and ethnic cleansing.

Since the OT was aimed at pre-literate, child-like, ignorant tribal/rural peoples, it is still appropriate for USA's "Christians" today. :lol

boutons_deux
10-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Another CEO Threatens To Fire Employees If Obama Wins (http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/10/14/1009651/ceo-fire-employees-obama/)

Many of you have been with ASG for over 5, 10, 15, and even 20 years. As you know, together, we have been able to keep ASG an independent company while still growing our revenues and customers. But I can tell you, if the US re-elects President Obama, our chances of staying independent are slim to none. I am already heavily involved in considering options that make our independence go away, and with that all of our lives would change forever. I believe that a new President and administration would give US citizens and the world the renewed confidence and optimism we all need to get the global economies started again, and give ASG a chance to stay independent. If we fail as a nation to make the right choice on November 6th, and we lose our independence as a company, I don’t want to hear any complaints regarding the fallout that will most likely come. [...]

I am asking you to give us one more chance to stay independent by voting in a new President and administration on November 6th. Even then, we still might not be able to remain independent, but it will at least give us a chance. If we don’t, that chance goes away.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/10/14/1009651/ceo-fire-employees-obama/

big, wealthy businessmen are such patriots, and respecters of the Constitution, and The American People.

boutons_deux
10-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Koch Sends Pro-Romney Mailing to 45,000 Employees While Stifling Workplace Political Speech
The packet arrived in the mailboxes of all 45,000 Georgia Pacific employees earlier this month. The cover letter, by Koch Industries President and Chief Operating Officer Dave Robertson, read:

While we are typically told before each Presidential election that it is important and historic, I believe the upcoming election will determine what kind of America future generations will inherit.
If we elect candidates who want to spend hundreds of billions in borrowed money on costly new subsidies for a few favored cronies, put unprecedented regulatory burdens on businesses, prevent or delay important new construction projects, and excessively hinder free trade, then many of our more than 50,000 U.S. employees and contractors may suffer the consequences, including higher gasoline prices, runaway inflation, and other ills.

Enclosed with the letter was a flyer listing Koch-endorsed candidates, beginning with Romney. Robertson’s letter explained: “At the request of many employees, we have also provided a list of candidates in your state that have been supported by Koch companies or by KOCHPAC, our employee political action committee.”

The Koch’s in-house campaigning for the GOP is part of a larger trend of corporations exercising new freedoms under Citizens United. The Supreme Court decision overturned previous FEC laws prohibiting employers from expressing electoral opinions directly to their employees.

they have also capitalized on weak labor laws to limit the political speech of those employees.

In September, a number of unionized employees at Georgia Pacific’s Toledo, Ore. plant posed for a photo in front of their union hall with Democratic state Senate candidate Arnie Roblan. When the Koch Industries voter information packet arrived in the workers’ mailboxes a few weeks later, they saw that Roblan was not on the list of Koch-endorsed candidates in Oregon.

It was then, says Association of Western Pulp and Paper Workers (AWPPW) Vice President Greg Pallesen, that he started receiving some of the strangest phone calls from workers he’s fielded in his 30-plus years of union involvement. The unionized workers in the photo were worried that they might be fired from their jobs if the image got out on the Internet, because in the backdrop of the photo, the Georgia Pacific plant could be seen.
Their fear comes not only from the mailing, but also from a new Georgia Pacific social media policy implemented earlier this year that warns, “Even if your social media conduct is outside of the workplace and/or non-work related, it must not reflect negatively on GP’s reputation, its products, or its brands.” Given the policy, the workers were scared to appear next to a candidate the Kochs do not support with the plant in the background.

http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/14017/koch_industries_sends_45000_employees_pro_romney_m ailing

BRHornet45
10-15-2012, 01:53 AM
David Siegel = Boss

look at his wife Jackie ...

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2012_The_Queen_of_Versailles/2012_queen_of_versailles_001.jpg

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ap_david_siegel2_jp_121011_wg.jpg

BRHornet45
10-15-2012, 02:07 AM
wants to build a 90k sf. house

http://priceypads.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/aerialview9_1200-1024x681.jpg
http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2010-05/53930300.jpg
http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/5060c38485216d0cc9000c4c/Queen-of-Versaillesx.jpeg

Wild Cobra
10-15-2012, 03:50 AM
SpursTalk sure becomes like a houseful of gossiping women during election season, hasn't it?

baseline bum
10-15-2012, 04:02 AM
:cry can't build my dream house because Obama tanked the real estate market in 2008 before he was elected :cry

:cry I'm not like those poor black people who couldn't afford their homes, I deserve sympathy when I live above my means :cry

TeyshaBlue
10-15-2012, 09:58 AM
David Siegel = Boss

look at his wife Jackie ...

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2012_The_Queen_of_Versailles/2012_queen_of_versailles_001.jpg

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ap_david_siegel2_jp_121011_wg.jpg

There's some serious architectural work there.

RandomGuy
10-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Koch Sends Pro-Romney Mailing to 45,000 Employees While Stifling Workplace Political Speech
The packet arrived in the mailboxes of all 45,000 Georgia Pacific employees earlier this month. The cover letter, by Koch Industries President and Chief Operating Officer Dave Robertson, read:

While we are typically told before each Presidential election that it is important and historic, I believe the upcoming election will determine what kind of America future generations will inherit.
If we elect candidates who want to spend hundreds of billions in borrowed money on costly new subsidies for a few favored cronies, put unprecedented regulatory burdens on businesses, prevent or delay important new construction projects, and excessively hinder free trade, then many of our more than 50,000 U.S. employees and contractors may suffer the consequences, including higher gasoline prices, runaway inflation, and other ills.

Enclosed with the letter was a flyer listing Koch-endorsed candidates, beginning with Romney. Robertson’s letter explained: “At the request of many employees, we have also provided a list of candidates in your state that have been supported by Koch companies or by KOCHPAC, our employee political action committee.”

The Koch’s in-house campaigning for the GOP is part of a larger trend of corporations exercising new freedoms under Citizens United. The Supreme Court decision overturned previous FEC laws prohibiting employers from expressing electoral opinions directly to their employees.

they have also capitalized on weak labor laws to limit the political speech of those employees.

In September, a number of unionized employees at Georgia Pacific’s Toledo, Ore. plant posed for a photo in front of their union hall with Democratic state Senate candidate Arnie Roblan. When the Koch Industries voter information packet arrived in the workers’ mailboxes a few weeks later, they saw that Roblan was not on the list of Koch-endorsed candidates in Oregon.

It was then, says Association of Western Pulp and Paper Workers (AWPPW) Vice President Greg Pallesen, that he started receiving some of the strangest phone calls from workers he’s fielded in his 30-plus years of union involvement. The unionized workers in the photo were worried that they might be fired from their jobs if the image got out on the Internet, because in the backdrop of the photo, the Georgia Pacific plant could be seen.
Their fear comes not only from the mailing, but also from a new Georgia Pacific social media policy implemented earlier this year that warns, “Even if your social media conduct is outside of the workplace and/or non-work related, it must not reflect negatively on GP’s reputation, its products, or its brands.” Given the policy, the workers were scared to appear next to a candidate the Kochs do not support with the plant in the background.

http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/14017/koch_industries_sends_45000_employees_pro_romney_m ailing

I wouldn't be scared for my job. If some Republican somewhere fired someone for voting Democrat, or vice versa, that has $$$$ lawsuit and instant book deal written all over it.

Of course, it is the whiny victim types that tend to be attracted to upper echelon Republican-dom like the dude in the OP, or the Koch brothers, that would be the kind of vindictive shit-head that would pull the trigger.

boutons_deux
10-15-2012, 11:47 AM
"If some Republican somewhere fired someone for voting Democrat"

why is that illegal? under what law? People get fired all the time for getting sick or pregnant (USA being the only industrial country with no pregnancy leave at all).

LnGrrrR
10-15-2012, 12:01 PM
The OP is a flaming pussy. Simple as that.

AFBlue
10-15-2012, 12:31 PM
It's called the Family and Medical Leave Act and it protects against firing for extended illness or pregnancy.

boutons_deux
10-15-2012, 12:42 PM
"The FMLA entitles eligible employees of covered employers ..."

what's a "covered employer"?

Employers Covered by the FMLA

The FMLA generally covers employers with 50 or more employees in 20 or more workweeks per year in the current or preceding calendar year.

Since 10Ks of employers have less that 50 employees, that leaves Ms of employees liable for being fired for only getting sick or pregnant.

coyotes_geek
11-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Anti-Obama CEO gives employees a raise instead of a pink slip
(http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/12/news/companies/ceo-no-layoffs-raises/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-13-2012, 09:39 AM
"If some Republican somewhere fired someone for voting Democrat"

why is that illegal? under what law? People get fired all the time for getting sick or pregnant (USA being the only industrial country with no pregnancy leave at all).

This post isn't serious, is it?

Th'Pusher
11-13-2012, 09:53 AM
(http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/12/news/companies/ceo-no-layoffs-raises/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)
How in the hell did his company have record profitibily last year? O has been president for 4 years now. When are his socialist redistribution policies going to take effect and start tanking this economy and utterly transforming this nation like we all know that he wants to?

RandomGuy
11-13-2012, 12:33 PM

That makes his earlier scaremongering all the more crass.

(edit)

I should be honest:

I think many on the left made waaay too much of the email. It was careful, if ill-considered.

The guy might not have meant it to come off as "if you elect Obama, I will have to fire people", but he should have had the good sense to realize that is how many would interpret it.

To be clear: I still think the guy is a douchbaggy whiner.