PDA

View Full Version : Catholic Archbishop to a mother: Spurn your gay son or go to hell

boutons_deux
10-10-2012, 08:38 AM
(can't edit the subject, stupid software: should be gay son )

Catholic power players catching up the Protestants in the hate game. "Christians", Christ would really, really love them as followers of His world-shaking message of Love.

a letter has surfaced he wrote in 2010 (http://www.startribune.com/local/172975931.html?refer=y) “to a mother who pleaded for acceptance for her gay child,”

I write to inform you that the teaching of the Catholic Church on homosexuality,a s described in paragraphs 2357 and 2358 and 2359 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church is rooted in Scripture and based on the Natural Moral Law. It, therefore, shares in God’s revelation to us. Catholics are bound in conscience to believe this teaching. Those who do not cannot consider themselves to be Catholic and ought not to participate in the sacramental life of the Church.

Indeed, some might find this is a hard saying by many of Jesus’ teachings were likewise received as such. I urge you to reconsider the position that you expressed in your letter. Your eternal salvation may well depend upon a conversation of heart on this topic.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/10/09/976841/minnesota-archbishop-told-mother-to-reject-her-gay-son-or-go-to-hell/

Old Archie is pretty weak in the love and compassion categories, and also in the English vernacular, although I do give him some slack for using Catholic jargon and technical terms.

Blake
10-10-2012, 10:15 AM
I give the archbishop credit for sticking to Bible God's policy on homosexuality.

If the mother is that worried, maybe she ought to switch teams and go Episcopalian where they don't take the Old Testament very seriously in that regard.

clambake
10-10-2012, 10:23 AM
stfu until you clean your house.

boutons_deux
10-10-2012, 10:58 AM
I give the archbishop credit for sticking to Bible God's policy on homosexuality.

If the mother is that worried, maybe she ought to switch teams and go Episcopalian where they don't take the Old Testament very seriously in that regard.

That assumes that the OT (crazy, vengeful, pissed off, war-like) trumps the NT (love, acceptance, peaceful), and that God's policies are even in either one.

z0sa
10-10-2012, 11:01 AM
John 13:34, New Living Translation

So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other.

John 15:17, same translation

This is my command: Love each other.

Not from Jesus but from Paul, has implications on gay marriage:

Romans 13:10 New International Version

Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Blake
10-10-2012, 02:31 PM
That assumes that the OT (crazy, vengeful, pissed off, war-like) trumps the NT (love, acceptance, peaceful), and that God's policies are even in either one.

Logic assumes that Christians can't ignore the crazy Old Testament no matter how much they want to.

Blake
10-10-2012, 02:42 PM
John 13:34, New Living Translation

So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other.

John 15:17, same translation

This is my command: Love each other.

Not from Jesus but from Paul, has implications on gay marriage:

Romans 13:10 New International Version

Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Romans 1:26-27 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

26 Because of this did God give them up to dishonourable affections, for even their females did change the natural use into that against nature;

27 and in like manner also the males having left the natural use of the female, did burn in their longing toward one another; males with males working shame, and the recompense of their error that was fit, in themselves receiving.

boutons_deux
10-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Logic assumes that Christians can't ignore the crazy Old Testament no matter how much they want to.

The OT wars, blood, guts, fire, revenge, ethnic cleansing, End Times and scare-mongering certainly make for better TeeVee entertainment (and selling Jesus Own merchandise).

"can't ignore" ? no, they WON'T ignore.

Blake
10-10-2012, 02:45 PM
"can't ignore" ? no, they WON'T ignore.

They ignore the parts that don't fit their agendas.

I.e. slavery

TeyshaBlue
10-10-2012, 02:49 PM
I get a kick out of "Bible Hour-Hosted by Board Athiests"

Ya'll should take that act on the road.

Blake
10-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Political Forum (77 Viewing) Post about politics, news, government, religion] and business.

If I ever do take this act on the road, it's good to know I can come here to fine tune it. :tu

TeyshaBlue
10-10-2012, 03:00 PM
If I ever do take this act on the road, it's good to know I can come here to fine tune it. :tu

doh!:lol

FuzzyLumpkins
10-10-2012, 06:31 PM

While they do twist it into a FFA pick and choose session there are some cryptic verses from Jesus saying that he is the way. Keep in mind that Jesus basically told the Orthodoxy at the time that they could go fuck themselves. It's why they killed him.

Blake
10-10-2012, 07:21 PM
While they do twist it into a FFA pick and choose session there are some cryptic verses from Jesus saying that he is the way. Keep in mind that Jesus basically told the Orthodoxy at the time that they could go fuck themselves. It's why they killed him.

yeah, but even in the end, Jesus still clearly defers to O.T. God.

It's why he still let his daddeh forsake him and sacrifice him.

AussieFanKurt
10-10-2012, 08:48 PM
I don't understand. What did Jesus even say about homosexuality?

Blake
10-10-2012, 09:19 PM
I don't understand. What did Jesus even say about homosexuality?

nothing directly

I could twist Matthew 19 around, but among other reasons, the most relevant fact, imo, is that because Jesus was a practicing Jew, by default he was/is against homosexuality.