PDA

View Full Version : UT wins CWS title in sweep over UF

jalbre6
06-26-2005, 05:30 PM
Pretty good week for us UT/ Spurs fans, I'd say! At least we didn't have to worry about this year's team claiming their trophy...

OMAHA, Neb. -- Texas is back on top with another College World Series championship.

Kyle McCulloch pitched 6 2/3 strong innings in 93-degree heat and David Maroul and Chance Wheeless homered Sunday to lead the Longhorns past Florida 6-2 to win the school's sixth CWS title.

Strengthened by a gutsy run through the regional and super regional rounds, when they had to win five elimination games just to get to Omaha, the Longhorns (56-16) completed the sweep of the Gators in the best-of-three championship series. They won the first game with the Gators 4-2 Saturday, and were unbeaten in five games at the CWS.

Florida (48-23) was making its first appearance in the championship round and the Gators couldn't get their offense going until they were behind 6-0.

Reliever J. Brent Cox got the final five outs, including the clincher with a strikeout, and Texas raced to the field and piled on one another in celebration.

The Longhorns last won the championship in 2002 and were runners-up a year ago to Cal State Fullerton.

N.Y. Johnny
06-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Texas has got one hell of a pitching staff.

Congrats on the win man, they made it look easy, Florida really didn't ever threaten them, and everyone was saying Baylor would give Texas problems, i didn't think so because Texas OWNS Baylor and they knew that too., that probably was the best team they beat to win it all.

MissAllThat
06-27-2005, 01:12 AM
It's party time in Austin! Man, this has been an exhausting/amazing week for me :)

Mr Dio
06-27-2005, 07:34 AM
Not sure if this is true or not but does UT have at least 3 pitchers in MLB that have started at least 1 game this yr & are 25yo or younger? Augie has built quite a powerhouse & many youngsters from all over want to play for him.

mookie2001
06-27-2005, 08:18 AM
at least they didnt lose to baylor

Ballcox
06-27-2005, 12:22 PM
Man, this has been a stressful week. First, watching the Spurs pull out a game 7 win and then pacing my living room back and forth on Saturday and Sunday watching the Horns win their 6th NCAA baseball title, AMAZING!! I'm happy as hell for this team, and with all the returning talent/pitching they've got coming back, plus what's shaping up to be one hell of a recruiting class, they should be right back in the mix next season. Hook'em!!

samikeyp
06-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Anyone get a pic of the tower going Orange?

Horry For 3!
06-28-2005, 04:09 AM
I wasn't even that exciting when they won because I already knew coming into the CWS Championship Series that Texas would own Florida and I was right. Texas never lost a game the whole CWS.

Horry For 3!
06-28-2005, 04:10 AM
Not sure if this is true or not but does UT have at least 3 pitchers in MLB that have started at least 1 game this yr & are 25yo or younger? Augie has built quite a powerhouse & many youngsters from all over want to play for him.

All I know of is J.P. Howell has starting like 5 games for the Royals and Huston Street has been the closer for the A's for awhile now but he hurt his hamstring so hasn't been pitching.

Horry For 3!
06-28-2005, 04:13 AM
Texas has got one hell of a pitching staff.

Congrats on the win man, they made it look easy, Florida really didn't ever threaten them, and everyone was saying Baylor would give Texas problems, i didn't think so because Texas OWNS Baylor and they knew that too., that probably was the best team they beat to win it all.
Baylor beat Texas 4 times in the Big 12 and Texas won 0 against Baylor.

During the CWS...Texas won 2 against Baylor and Baylor never won against Texas.

Texas wins in the CWS that is when it counts. Texas dominates in the CWS.

Horry For 3!
06-28-2005, 04:16 AM
Texas rolls to second CWS title in four years
June 26, 2005
OMAHA, Nebraska (Ticker) - Behind outstanding pitching and a devastating offense, Texas surged to its sixth national championship with a perfect 4-0 showing in the College World Series.

The Longhorns (56-16) completed their run with a 6-2 victory over No. 7 Florida on Sunday, capturing their second title in the last four years.

Senior David Maroul had three hits and drove in four runs and sophomore starter Kyle McCulloch tied a career high with eight strikeouts in 6 2/3 innings to lead the charge.

Damn I love 3B David Maroul! That guy was hugeeeee for us in the CWS especially in the Championship Series.

Horry For 3!
06-28-2005, 04:18 AM
Closer J. Brent Cox, a second-round pick of the New York Yankees in this month's draft, saved both games for the Longhorns, allowing just one hit and fanning eight batters in 3 2/3 frames.

Cox could be pitching soon for the Yankees. He has some electric stuff, better than Huston Street. Yet Huston Street was lights out, best closer in College Baseball ever.

Louae
07-11-2005, 10:33 AM
It's too bad our baseball coach couldn't coach football. it's obvious that this guy knows what he's doing.