PDA

View Full Version : Night Terrors

Lincoln
10-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Any of y'all experience this shit? And when you do, do you know about it? My dad turned 59 a few weeks ago and maybe it's been happening a while but sometimes I'll hear a random shout/gasp type noise for literally a second. A minute later and he is back to snoring. I haven't talked to him about it...maybe he doesn't even know its happening?

Anyways, it seems like its more common in adults dealing with sleep deprivation, improper diet, and/or stress and he definitely falls under the stressed category. Any of y'all get this?

ploto
10-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Some kids have night terrors. It is kind of scary to hear a toddler screaming out in the middle of the night.

DMC
10-10-2012, 11:42 PM
I do that. He doesn't even know it because I didn't but my wife does. Possibly related to my time in the military in Nam.

phxspurfan
10-11-2012, 12:46 AM
I think I've gotten one recently. I just woke up and went back to sleep. No harm really

Latarian Milton
10-11-2012, 01:42 AM
never heard anything about it from my friends whose ages range from 20 to 60 tbh, maybe it's just a common syndrome that most asians have to suffer after reaching a certain phase of age where they know they're turning shit very soon. *no racist*

Wild Cobra
10-11-2012, 02:56 AM
I could be really wrong, but when people feel they are near the end of life, and start reflecting on death...

Woo Bum-kon
10-11-2012, 05:00 AM
Your dad was old as fuck when he had you.

mrsmaalox
10-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Maybe your dad has sleep apnea? Gasping, snoring, shouting can all be symptoms especially if he's overweight or has a neck circumference of greater than 17 inches (I learned that last part from reading a poster on the wall of my doctor's phlebotomy room this morning :))

Lincoln
10-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Crofl he ain't overweight at all tbh, 5'11 prob 160. It doesn't happen too often as far as I know but I hear it every now and then because it's loud.

Lincoln
10-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Your dad was old as fuck when he had you.
Yea he was, he worked for EDS which had him travel all over the world especially Asia and western Europe. He didn't settle down and have a family till late

DMC
10-11-2012, 04:49 PM
I could be really wrong, but when people feel they are near the end of life, and start reflecting on death...

I think "reflecting" is the wrong word.

johnsmith
10-11-2012, 04:50 PM
I think "reflecting" is the wrong word.

Plus it was a dumb fucking theory.

mavs>spurs
10-11-2012, 05:55 PM
never heard anything about it from my friends whose ages range from 20 to 60 tbh, maybe it's just a common syndrome that most asians have to suffer after reaching a certain phase of age where they know they're turning shit very soon. *no racist*

:lmao

yeah it could be from ptsd. night terrors are usually as a direct result from some sort of trauma..especially early in life and manifesting in younger kids. children circumcised in infancy have been shown to be many times more likely to have them.

cantthinkofanything
10-11-2012, 06:37 PM
:lmao

yeah it could be from ptsd. night terrors are usually as a direct result from some sort of trauma..especially early in life and manifesting in younger kids. children circumcised in infancy have been shown to be many times more likely to have them.

I've heard this. It's compounded by parents who espouse the Foreskin Fairy. Once the circumcised child turns 5 or 6 and begins to question where his epidermal penis protector is, the parents assure him that the Foreskin Fairy took his foreskin and will reward him with great riches when he gets a little older. Most of the time, the child forgets all about it and things go on fairly normally. But for those few children that latch on to the idea, life is a series of disappointment and nightmares. They are continually trying to reconcile the juxtaposed magnanimity of a reward bearing being with the cruelness of one willing to chop off their foreskin. Studies have shown that about 85% of night terrors are suffered by the circumcised.

mavs>spurs
10-11-2012, 06:57 PM
educate yourself, it's an interesting hypothesis who countless others agree with. just google it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-mngp8mrNg

DAF86
10-11-2012, 07:17 PM
I don't know about night terrors but my brother the other day had "sleep paralysis".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

This must suck.

cantthinkofanything
10-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Good clip. I still don't think the subject has really dug deep enough though. He didn't mention the Foreskin Fairy once. Obvious denial. It would be interesting to follow him for the next few years and see if he can get to the bottom of his pain.

cantthinkofanything
10-11-2012, 07:23 PM
I'd like to detour from this serious discussion for one moment. I was looking for some cases of the Foreskin Fairy and came across the following from Urban Dictionary:

Rumpleforeskin : One who is able to pick pubic hair and spin the hair fibers into pure gold by wrapping the hair around their foreskin. Usually told as a children's fable or fairy tale, but is now in circulation as slang.

DAF86
10-11-2012, 07:24 PM
For you lazy fucks that won't read, what happens on a "sleep paralysis" is basically that you're awake but can't move and have hallucinations, the hallucinations vary depending on the person (although for some odd reason a lot of people see the same things) but they all concur in that they are some kind of evil presence that attacks you.

mavs>spurs
10-11-2012, 07:25 PM
^i've had sleep paralysis..you get it more often when your sleep schedule is fucked up. there was actually a big thread on here about this once.