PDA

View Full Version : New Spurs PA Announcers?

timvp
10-10-2012, 11:44 PM
(Wanted to address this before I forgot. I know a PA announcer doesn't really impact the team but a good PA announcer can enhance game experience for fans -- so it's at least somewhat noteworthy.)

Apparently Big Kev is no longer the PA announcer. Truthfully, I think that's a good decision. Last year it seemed like he lost all enthusiasm for his gig and mumbled his way through games. The only time you could hear him clearly was when someone hit a three-pointer.

But, man, in these first two preseason games, the PA announcing has been amateurish -- to put it mildly. (I'm pretty damn sure it's been two different guys.) Lowlights include: in the first game, three-pointers were announced about half the time while the PA announcer didn't announce three-pointers at all in the second game; there were rarely team fouls announced in the second game and in the first game the announcer announced the "sixth team foul" a couple times :lol; both announcers had dead air after made baskets multiple times; neither announced anything extra like assists or blocks; the first guy never announced substitutions in dead ball situations; the second guy seemed like he was on tape delay whenever the opposition scored.

I realize these guys probably are new to PA announcing but a professional team should be able to find candidates who know the very basics like differentiating three-pointers, calling out the substitutions, knowing elementary NBA rules (sixth team foul :lol), etc. I apologize for the emo rant but either of these guys would be by far the worst PA announcing in the league -- they're basically what you'd expect at a high school game.

Das Texan
10-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Almost sounds like old Stan Kelly would be an improvement over these jokers.

xtremesteven33
10-11-2012, 12:19 AM
We need Stan Kelly back

Russ
10-11-2012, 12:32 AM
We need Stan Kelly back

How about Pat Tallman?

jav
10-11-2012, 12:48 AM
Jim Bob Breazeale did the first game. Apparently there is a competition.

timvp
10-11-2012, 12:55 AM
^Thanks for the info.

I'm pretty sure that guy has a SpursTalk account ... hopefully he doesn't see this thread. :lol

That reminds me of when I criticized the new coyote and he posted to defend himself.

The good thing about both PA announcers is they had pro level voices. /backtrack

El_Mago
10-11-2012, 01:32 AM
^Thanks for the info.

I'm pretty sure that guy has a SpursTalk account ... hopefully he doesn't see this thread. :lol

That reminds me of when I criticized the new coyote and he posted to defend himself.

The good thing about both PA announcers is they had pro level voices. /backtrack

Timvp, I don't post much and I am rarely logged-in, but I had to say: your post was f'n hilarious.

Jim Bob was "ok" on Ticket760, but I don't think either of these dudes should be the PA guy.

After all, who calls "Sixth team foul?"

Next.....

P.S. I hope both see your post. LOLZ..

TimDunkem
10-11-2012, 02:13 AM
Where can I get a P.A. announcer try-out? I would do an excellent job, imo.

baseline bum
10-11-2012, 02:49 AM
Where can I get a P.A. announcer try-out? I would do an excellent job, imo.

Yeah, I'd be great too.

"Goddamn, Ginobili for three!"

"Bullshit call by Joey"

"Snitchin' Kobe to the free throw line, shooting two... a-gain"

"Ginger faggot checking in for Diaw"

-21-
10-11-2012, 02:55 AM
Yeah, I'd be great too.

"Bullshit call by Joey"

:lol

TimDunkem
10-11-2012, 03:35 AM
Yeah, I'd be great too.

"Bullshit call by Joey"

Hoops Czar
10-11-2012, 03:43 AM
Appatently, the Spurs go after PA announces like they go after free agents. No hurry, no rush, whatever's left over on the scrap heap. That's the Spurs new business model.

FromWayDowntown
10-11-2012, 07:25 AM
I thought the reason the Spurs had the Silver Stars and Rampage on the books was to try out new PA announcers.

Dex
10-11-2012, 09:17 AM
I know its silly, but I always picture that the PA guy is hanging out inside the scoreboard. :lol

SpursNextRomanEmpire
10-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Appatently, the Spurs go after PA announces like they go after free agents. No hurry, no rush, whatever's left over on the scrap heap. That's the Spurs new business model.

Because you know how the Spurs go after free agents?

Spursnlego
10-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Actually, I think the Rampage guy is legit tbh...

Solid D
10-11-2012, 09:11 PM
I thought the reason the Spurs had the Silver Stars and Rampage on the books was to try out new PA announcers.

MmP
10-11-2012, 11:57 PM
i miss stan kelly tbh

phxspurfan
10-12-2012, 12:33 PM

i miss stan kelly tbh

Same...those were the good days

flipspursfan
10-12-2012, 12:52 PM
^Thanks for the info.

Someone show me that thread :lol

TimDunkem
10-12-2012, 01:41 PM
The bald guy who filled in for Big Kev in '09 was the worst of the worst.

"ROGER! Mason! JUNIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!!!"

MinuteByMinuteSports
10-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Roland Ruiz does the Rampage games. If they are looking for a new guy, just get him.

AlamoSpursFan
10-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Chris Duel owned the mic as PA Announcer for the Talons. Just sayin'...

MaNu4Tres
10-16-2012, 06:46 AM
Stan Kelly has been missed since his departure in 2008.

Creation88
10-16-2012, 10:56 AM
to those people that miss Stan Kelley.....do you own a rocking chair and dentures? he was god awful. heeeeeere come the spuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurs. ugh rather have silence.

Buddy Holly
10-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Stan Kelly has been missed since his departure in 2008.

No he hasn't. Hated his nasally voice.