PDA

View Full Version : PC's see biggest sales drop since 2001

InRareForm
10-11-2012, 12:19 AM
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/pc-market-sees-biggest-sales-drop-since-2001-2012-10-10?mod=e2tw

symple19
10-11-2012, 03:03 AM
interesting to see Lenovo up at the top. I just bought one of their 3rd gen I5 laptops for $545. Very pleased so far.

Wonder if this drop is more associated with mobile devices or people/companies waiting on Windows 8

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Count me in the crowd that moved to mobile. My wife and I were talking replacing our computer not too long ago, instead got a chance to upgrade to iPhones and I don't think we're looking back any time soon. Might take a look for deals on Black Friday. Interested to see what kind of impact this news could have on that.

lefty
10-11-2012, 10:43 AM
It's still nice to have a PC for streaming sports, heavy document editing, and torrent downloading

Although I just downloaded a bootleg version of TDKR directly on my Android phone (using Utorrent app) :lol

Drachen
10-11-2012, 12:54 PM
yeah, last year my wife's laptop started to die and it was a slow death so we were in no hurry. She mentioned that she wanted something else, but I told her that since she quit school, that it wouldn't be a very high priority and she understood. Then the Touchpad fire sale happened and I told her that for what she uses her laptop for (other than school), that the touchpad would be fine and she agreed, so she has a tablet that she uses. She actually probably uses her phone about 50% of the time and the touchpad 50% of the time.

Drachen
10-11-2012, 12:55 PM
for me, it just depends on the task.

DMC
10-13-2012, 11:43 AM
I rarely use my notebook but I use my desktop PC daily. I recently upgraded to SSD for my boot drive and it rocks. My friend rarely uses his desktop but then he has Alienware laptops (2) that weigh about 12lbs each so his gaming doesn't suffer any.

DMC
10-13-2012, 11:45 AM
interesting to see Lenovo up at the top. I just bought one of their 3rd gen I5 laptops for $545. Very pleased so far.

Wonder if this drop is more associated with mobile devices or people/companies waiting on Windows 8

I have their T420 for work. It's a good laptop but not much for high end stuff.

symple19
10-13-2012, 12:04 PM
I have their T420 for work. It's a good laptop but not much for high end stuff.

I have one that work provides (Toshiba) but wanted something for home/travel that had a decent graphics card so I could play games/download torrents away from my desktop

For the price, the specs are awesome

I5 gen3
6G Ram
500 G HD (upgradeable to SSD, dunno if I want/need to, though. Maybe when prices drop further)
NVidia 630M GT

Venti Quattro
10-13-2012, 12:31 PM
From my experience, work laptops have the most basic stuff. As long as you can do essential work stuff like word processing, Outlook, Communicator and video conferencing, they really don't go out for high-end laptops.

ElNono
10-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Tablets are a fad, tbh... :lol

Juggity
10-13-2012, 02:12 PM
I haven't regularly used a desktop in probably 5 or 6 years...

That said, I find my laptop indispensable. Can't really use photoshop or do video editing or any serious graphical work on a tablet.

I don't think tablets are a fad, but as of right now they are not suited to cover the whole range of what I need in a computer device.

Venti Quattro
10-13-2012, 02:13 PM
I still like the good ol' raw power and specs of desktops, that's why I have a power PC and a Mac Pro.

Cry Havoc
10-13-2012, 03:06 PM
I just priced a portable desktop (mini-ITX config) yesterday with really solid specs and a 7850 for $700. That's absolutely unreal. :wow

DMC
10-13-2012, 03:48 PM
From my experience, work laptops have the most basic stuff. As long as you can do essential work stuff like word processing, Outlook, Communicator and video conferencing, they really don't go out for high-end laptops.

I bought a backup HDD and ghosted (imaged) my work laptop HDD then removed all the governance software so I didn't have to chase down drivers and shit. Then I just loaded the stuff I wanted to have and simply pop one out and pop the other in. It's not as good as having a monster Alienware sitting in your hotel room but then I don't have to lug around 2 notebooks, one that weighs like a desktop.

DMC
10-13-2012, 03:49 PM
I have one that work provides (Toshiba) but wanted something for home/travel that had a decent graphics card so I could play games/download torrents away from my desktop

For the price, the specs are awesome

I5 gen3
6G Ram
500 G HD (upgradeable to SSD, dunno if I want/need to, though. Maybe when prices drop further)
NVidia 630M GT

You want the SSD. You don't think you do right now but after you get it installed you'll wonder why it took you so long to make the change.

DMC
10-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Tablets are a fad, tbh... :lol
I know a lot of people who own an Ipad, but hardly anyone who owns any other brand of tablet (readers notwithstanding). Those who own the Ipad seem to force themselves into using it just because they have it. They use it for internet searches or play the low level games or watch movies. As a media platform it has it's uses, but otherwise it's just a toy for most people and most toys are fads. They are fun, no doubt, but they need to have applications in business that make them desirable replacements for laptops. Few pricey PC platforms could survive in an entertainment only capacity (though I realize some fields are using the tablets already).

symple19
10-13-2012, 03:55 PM
You want the SSD. You don't think you do right now but after you get it installed you'll wonder why it took you so long to make the change.

That's what people keep telling me. Maybe I'll pick one up around xmas time

ElNono
10-13-2012, 03:56 PM

Couldn't agree more. Basically gave new life to my old 2Ghz C2D Mac Mini... to the point where I just don't feel like it needs to be replaced in the near term.

Plus SSDs prices keep plummeting... my associate at work just bought a 512GB Crucial M4 for around $360...

DMC
10-13-2012, 03:57 PM
That's what people keep telling me. Maybe I'll pick one up around xmas time
You don't need the super large capacity drive. As the capacity of HDDs became larger, we seemed to have gotten greedier in what we presume we need. I replaced a 1Tb drive with a 260G SSD and still have 70% of the drive available because I use storage disks for media and only put high use items on the boot drive (games!).

symple19
10-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Couldn't agree more. Basically gave new life to my old 2Ghz C2D Mac Mini... to the point where I just don't feel like it needs to be replaced in the near term.

Plus SSDs prices keep plummeting... my associate at work just bought a 512GB Crucial M4 for around $360...

You don't need the super large capacity drive. As the capacity of HDDs became larger, we seemed to have gotten greedier in what we presume we need. I replaced a 1Tb drive with a 260G SSD and still have 70% of the drive available because I use storage disks for media and only put high use items on the boot drive (games!).

Good stuff. I'll keep my eye on NewEgg and see what the prices are doing in the next month and a half or so. CyberMonday should be a nice opportunity

resistanze
10-13-2012, 05:08 PM
I have friends that work at other pharma companies who got Thinkpads with i5, 6GB ram, etc. This is probably more likely when the company leases its computers rather than retarded ones that buy Pentiums 4 outright back in 2002 and still have them to date.