PDA

View Full Version : Could Curry, Powell and Brown's good play cause a trade?

Buddy Holly
10-11-2012, 02:55 AM
Will their good play so far entice the Spurs to trade Blair and Bonner? Hell, just Blair to free up two spots.

My theory is the spurs have been hesitant to trade Blair because they'd have no one to replace him. Well, it legitimately seems like powell and curry are capable of doing so.

lakerhaterade
10-11-2012, 02:57 AM
Do you still like NSYNC?

Nah just trolling...and Im not sure. We all know Pop's love with both turd tower components. I really liked what I saw when Curry and Powell were on the court together. Granted it was against inferior competition, but the potential is there. Any smart basketball mind would pull the trigger on both. They're keepers.

baseline bum
10-11-2012, 02:58 AM
I think they're hesitant to trade Blair because his contract is way too cheap to get anything in return. Just to eat regular season minutes his contract is a huge bargain.

Fireball
10-11-2012, 03:14 AM
Normally trades do not happen after start of training camp, don't they? Then we have to cut 2 of the 3 mentioned players anyways. Perhaps keep them with the Toros?

TDMVPDPOY
10-11-2012, 03:21 AM
cant we just trade someone for a future pick?

NickiRasgo
10-11-2012, 05:35 AM
I'm also in for keeping them all.

racm
10-11-2012, 05:46 AM
cant we just trade someone for a future pick?

Pop likes Bonner too much for him to be Ratliff'd, tbh

ceperez
10-11-2012, 06:04 AM
Nice dilemma to have.

Curry - Probably best based on need.
Powell - Best performance so far. However redundant with Bonner or Blair.
Brown - Lot's of length and may have potential, but will need to learn the system.

I say take Curry for the open spot. Team has a shortage of centers. I expect Splitter to be injured at least a couple times this season. So who is going to backup Duncan?

Powell is ready to go but he has to replace someone. Hopefully Bonner choses to retire early and join the coaching staff.

Brown is a project. The team can afford to waive Joseph.

racm
10-11-2012, 06:13 AM
My understanding is that Joseph's on the team as a prospect, not as a camp body. Sure he doesn't fill a need but Neal is expiring, Mills is only signed for two years and Tony Parker isn't getting younger.

ceperez
10-11-2012, 06:18 AM
My understanding is that Joseph's on the team as a prospect, not as a camp body. Sure he doesn't fill a need but Neal is expiring, Mills is only signed for two years and Tony Parker isn't getting younger.

But de Colo just showed that he's a better point guard than Joseph.

TDMVPDPOY
10-11-2012, 06:40 AM
theres a few guys on the team in a contract year....if their salary $ demand is higher than what the team is willing to offer or can easily be replaced by the 3 guys mention....then i approve of such a move....

curry, powell, brown addresses our teams issue, we get bigger and more athletic

mountainballer
10-11-2012, 07:49 AM
traditionally there are not many trades in November (not saying there are not any), so IF we see a roster move to clear a spot it will likely be the cutting of a player. Neal would be the obvious choice considering his contract (not guaranteed) and the depth at PG/SG. that said, it wouldn't be exactly a high class move from the FO, so I'm not sure they would do something like that. (Neal has been on the team for 2 years on a pretty cheap contract and, as far as I know, there wasn't anything to complain about, be it about his work ethic, coachability, or as a teammate). if they cut him in November, his chance to get a good contract from an Euro team is slim, same goes for NBA teams. Same goes for Blair, who obviously worked his ass off during the summer.
so no, I don't think they will either trade or waive a player to make room, they will just keep one out of the trio Curry, Powell and Brown.

Ice009
10-11-2012, 08:06 AM
I'm pretty much thinking that even though Powell has played the best so far, that he can't stay unless someone else is traded. I'd love to have him, but I just think that he needs to replace someone on the roster. Curry on the other hand could be more of a need, and prove very useful throwing that weight around, being physical, banging against Dwight Howard for a few minutes a game. I think it would be great to have someone with size that can really be physical with Dwight and push him around a little bit.

Fireball
10-11-2012, 08:12 AM
then Powell should be in the best position right now ...

therealtruth
10-11-2012, 08:24 AM
But de Colo just showed that he's a better point guard than Joseph.

I am thinking De Colo should be the backup PG. He can pass and you can't gameplan against him because of his creativity.

SenorSpur
10-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Good lord, if only.

Please make it happen.

Fireball
10-11-2012, 09:44 AM
I am thinking De Colo should be the backup PG. He can pass and you can't gameplan against him because of his creativity.

Just because of one highlight game we should not make our decision too early regarding De Colo. I liked what I saw as well, but knowing Pop it will be extremely difficult for De Colo to get minutes of no major injuries happen ...

baseline bum
10-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Neal's way too good of a player to just cut. I mean a shooter who can deliver when it actually matters for $972,000? That's an enormous bargain and I'd definitely trust him over DeColo and Joseph, and Mills is going to have to earn his way ahead of Neal in the rotation.

dbestpro
10-11-2012, 01:07 PM
It's time to take 2 or 3 level 6 players and trade them for a level 8 player.

Two10Whitey
10-11-2012, 01:11 PM
I'm really hoping Curry works out for us. He's 100 pounds lighter, has had a decent preseason so far, and seems quite happy to be here. Personally, I wouldn't want to play basketball for a long time if I was hit with a bullshit harassment case followed by the murders of my ex-girlfriend and daughter. For him to lose all of that weight and play for an organization who doesn't tolerate too much b/s means alot. Blair is just too short and Splitter is not reliable with his injuries. If Curry learns our system, we need to keep him.

ElNono
10-11-2012, 01:23 PM
It's time to take 2 or 3 level 6 players and trade them for a level 8 player.

???

Andthentherewas21
10-11-2012, 01:30 PM
I think they're hesitant to trade Blair because his contract is way too cheap to get anything in return. Just to eat regular season minutes his contract is a huge bargain.

This. The redundancies the Spurs have (Blair, Neal) are too productive to just cut or trade for a 2nd rounder. Then there is Bonner, but no one else in the league would pay 3-4 million a season to have a 6'10 bigman with limited D who plays on the perimeter instead of in the paint.

TimDunkem
10-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Neal's way too good of a player to just cut. I mean a shooter who can deliver when it actually matters for $972,000? That's an enormous bargain and I'd definitely trust him over DeColo and Joseph, and Mills is going to have to earn his way ahead of Neal in the rotation.

I'd like to see a DeColo/Neal guard combination get extended PT.

Shifty
10-11-2012, 03:48 PM
This. The redundancies the Spurs have (Blair, Neal) are too productive to just cut or trade for a 2nd rounder. Then there is Bonner, but no one else in the league would pay 3-4 million a season to have a 6'10 bigman with limited D who plays on the perimeter instead of in the paint.
Actually...

that is what happens in a few teams and they actually pay them more than Bonner. Sometimes way more. Rashard Lewis and Andrea Bargnani come to mind.

TD 21
10-11-2012, 05:17 PM
I don't see it.

Anyone who thinks they'd waive Neal is delusional. You don't cut a quality, vastly underpaid player, just to keep multiple fringe players who, barring a rash of injuries, won't see a meaningful second.

Not to take anything away from how well Powell is playing, but he's playing well over his head right now (if he weren't, he wouldn't be a fighting for a spot on a roster) and is redundant. Which is why, no matter how well he plays, he should be cut . . . but I don't think he will be.

Curry should be kept for the time being. If they don't like what they see throughout the next few weeks or months, he can always be cut at any time. But the 15th spot should be reserved for a center (preferably) or a small forward/combo forward; not a slightly undersized power forward, with mediocre athleticism, who can't protect the rim. They have too many of those as is.

99 Problems
10-11-2012, 05:49 PM
You betcha. But when is the question. Some can't be traded yet etc, some have rotation upside, some injury insurance backup value.

lcroock
10-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Don't get carried away from a couple of preseason games. Powell and Curry have had subpar careers to date. It's true they could be good fits in this system but no way do they beat out Bonner is Pop's system.

Ice009
10-12-2012, 12:08 AM
I don't see it.

Anyone who thinks they'd waive Neal is delusional. You don't cut a quality, vastly underpaid player, just to keep multiple fringe players who, barring a rash of injuries, won't see a meaningful second.

Not to take anything away from how well Powell is playing, but he's playing well over his head right now (if he weren't, he wouldn't be a fighting for a spot on a roster) and is redundant. Which is why, no matter how well he plays, he should be cut . . . but I don't think he will be.

Curry should be kept for the time being. If they don't like what they see throughout the next few weeks or months, he can always be cut at any time. But the 15th spot should be reserved for a center (preferably) or a small forward/combo forward; not a slightly undersized power forward, with mediocre athleticism, who can't protect the rim. They have too many of those as is.

I agree with this. I prefer Curry for now. I would like to have Josh Powell too, but I too think that he is playing over his head right now, kind of like how Anthony Tolliver shot lights out when he made the Spurs roster, but then couldn't hit a shot at all once he actually made the team. Curry has a lot more upside, and when he's been in shape, he's been the better overall NBA player than Powell.

ChuckD
10-12-2012, 07:49 AM
I agree with this. I prefer Curry for now. I would like to have Josh Powell too, but I too think that he is playing over his head right now, kind of like how Anthony Tolliver shot lights out when he made the Spurs roster, but then couldn't hit a shot at all once he actually made the team. Curry has a lot more upside, and when he's been in shape, he's been the better overall NBA player than Powell.

Tolliver is still in the NBA, tbh. He just didn't fit here.

Drom John
10-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Steve Novak
Team 2012-13 2013-14 2014-15 2015-16
New York Knicks $4,054,054 $3,750,000 $3,445,946 $3,750,000

Dex
10-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Can't believe we've only got one roster spot left to pick one of these three guys.

I personally hope Curry is the one that makes the cut, but Powell is certainly making a case for himself. However, I can't tell if he's truly coming to form, or just playing way above his ceiling right now. Even with his past history, Curry is probably more of the proven commodity....and he's an actual center with size, instead of another undersized stretch four. If we need someone to fill that role, we already have Bonner (ugh), and Kawhi or Jackson could probably pull it off it in pinch situations.

Would be great to keep Brown around as a project, but apparently the Spurs are more focused on developing guards.

Bruno
10-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Spurs have only played 2 preseason games against an Euro team and a NBA team that has opened a lot his bench too. A small sample size against low quality opponents isn't enough to judge training camp invites and to say that they should be kept or that a trade is needed to make roster space for them. If near the end of the training camp, some of them looks good, it will be time to seriously wonder what Spurs should do.

spurraider21
10-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Powell seems like a better all around player than bonner. Bonner can stretch the floor more but he's not going to show up in the playoffs anyway. Powell is a better defender and rebounder and does have a nice jumper. Problem is bonner has 3 mil guaranteed this season as well as next year so it would be tough to get rid of him. And I doubt holt will use the amnesty. Curse small markets

ElNono
10-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Spurs have only played 2 preseason games against an Euro team and a NBA team that has opened a lot his bench too. A small sample size against low quality opponents isn't enough to judge training camp invites and to say that they should be kept or that a trade is needed to make roster space for them. If near the end of the training camp, some of them looks good, it will be time to seriously wonder what Spurs should do.

While I agree with this, we've also had Bonner for 6 years, and at this point you would think they are aware of his massive choking ways, yet they seemingly feel comfortable with it. I actually think that the fact that Powell and Curry look as intriguing as they do, has a lot to do with the overall lack of quality of our frontline.

KL2
10-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Just remember that this is preseason guys, I remember Blair 2 years ago I think? Looked like an entirely different player in preseason, I mean the guy looked GREAT like he was easily going to be a 16 &10 guy, this all changed as soon as the regular season started. It was back to reality for him, he looked nothing like he did in preseason.

SpurPadre
10-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Just remember that this is preseason guys, I remember Blair 2 years ago I think? Looked like an entirely different player in preseason, I mean the guy looked GREAT like he was easily going to be a 16 &10 guy, this all changed as soon as the regular season started. It was back to reality for him, he looked nothing like he did in preseason.

Yeah, and at least Blair has the excuse that he's still in his early 20's and hasn't hit his prime while with Powell, he'll be 30 at some point this coming season. If we're going to add another 30 and over guy, he'd better be a 7 footer with history of success and that's why I'd take Curry.