PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Toni Kukoc

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 06:23 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_toni_kukoc.jpghttp://www.nba.com/bucks/images/bucks_logo.gif

Toni Kukoc | 7
Position: F
Born: Sep 18, 1968
Height: 6-11 / 2,11
Weight: 235 lbs. / 106,6 kg.

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/toni_kukoc/index.html)

I'd rather have Glenn Robinson backing up Bruce but if not, Kukoc could be a low cost alternative.

MannyIsGod
06-26-2005, 06:26 PM
Fuck, NO.

I'd rather have a wet towel making 100k a year and a locker. Kukoc was washed up years ago and is now beyond washed up.

No, just no.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Horry was washed up a couple years ago too. Not that Kukoc would be worth the same, but we're talking about the 10th-12th guys on the roster, assuming Devin and Horry are brought back.

Brodels
06-26-2005, 06:29 PM
I think the Spurs would be better served to find a small forward with a little bit of size and defensive ability and a few less years on the birth certificate.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Kukoc? :lol Why not just bring back Jack Haley?

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 06:34 PM
When the Spurs have $10 mil in cap room, then they won't have to scrape the bottom of the barrel. Figure it out.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2005, 06:35 PM
Just because they're "scraping the bottom of the barrel", doesn't mean they need to look this low. Figure it out.

ducks
06-26-2005, 06:36 PM
spurs need some vet leadership
if horry leaves toni might not be bad
he was a winner at one time

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Oh, I've figured it out already kiddo.

timvp
06-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Well considering the Spurs almost traded for HITA last season, Kukoc is a step up from that.

Horry For 3!
06-26-2005, 06:38 PM
Kukoc USED to be good. Not ANYMORE.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2005, 06:40 PM
ducks - Horry ain't going anywhere.

MB - if you figured it out then why are you eyeing such a super scrub here?

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 06:43 PM
Because the Spurs will be looking at scrubs with about $2.5 mil or less to offer as a starting salary...

Mr. Body
06-26-2005, 06:55 PM
He's like a washed-up, less accomplished version of Robert Horry. Is it really necessary to post this dreck?

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Well these are the types of players the Spurs will be looking at this summer to fill out the roster, especially if they move Rasho. We do want to discuss what the Spurs will actually be doing instead of crack addled wet dreams, no?

whottt
06-26-2005, 07:41 PM
:td to this guy...whoever said he was washed up years ago is right...

At this stage he won't be much more than what Ferry was in his last years with this team...difference is that we have Robert Horry to fill that spot now...

I might be willing to consider this guy only if the alternative is a mediocre project. He can probably still knock down some shots for you...but I wasn't that impressed with him even when he was in his prime...Manu Ginobili he aint.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 07:44 PM
Basically the guy has some length, experience, and an outside J. Sure his best years are behind him, but if the Spurs are looking for someone who can fill in at the 3 in spots and on the cheap, well, this could be it...

AI-square
06-26-2005, 10:13 PM
I'd take Kukoc over Rodney Rogers any day. I don't think Kukoc would fit the Spurs, but he might work be useful in Philly.

conversekid
06-26-2005, 10:16 PM
:td to Kukoc

he is a robert horry type player, but about 1/10th as good. Kukoc doesn't bring anything to the table we don't already have.

Mr. Body
06-26-2005, 10:23 PM
Well these are the types of players the Spurs will be looking at this summer to fill out the roster, especially if they move Rasho. We do want to discuss what the Spurs will actually be doing instead of crack addled wet dreams, no?

I'm not into talking about crack addled wet dreams, either (whatever those are). The Spurs will not round out their roster with the washed-up or the never-were. They would do it with young players with some promise, like they did with Linton Johnson and Sato last year. Kukoc has no part on this team, since he can't play a lick of defense. There are no Jerome Kerseys out there that I can see, veterans who can play tough spot minutes. The only one I can see, who can fill a role as a backup SF in big minutes is already attached to the team: Glenn Robinson.

Otherwise, the Spurs will draft a SF prospect that can perhaps get some time right away but not be depended on. See: Beno Udrih.

MI21
06-26-2005, 11:51 PM
Kukoc would be an interesting zone buster to add to the Spurs, as long as most of time he gets a DNP-CD or at best, 3-6 mpg during the regular season. He can still shoot, and is able to hit 2/3 3-Pointers in a short stretch of playing time.

When you have a team like the Spurs who are in there prime, it is better to have players who may be able to do something at 11th and 12th man rather than having young players that can't contribute anything. Let them learn in practice untill they are no longer an absolute liability on the playing roster, and let tested veterans play little roles.

Karl Mundt
07-04-2005, 08:43 AM
According to an interview he gave here, Toni has narrowed down his options to the Bucks, Bulls and the Spurs. If Devin is resigned, he might be the 12th man on the roster.

Spurologist
07-04-2005, 08:49 AM
kukoc best days passed years ago. :td

xcoriate
07-04-2005, 08:53 AM
You could do worse

caŽlo
07-04-2005, 09:41 AM
heck lets just bring kerr out of retirement and bring him back

ChumpDumper
07-04-2005, 10:30 AM
If he wants to be a Spur for the minimum, he's worth a workout I guess; he can still pass and shoot the ball. Hardly any of the SFs we're looking at can march even Toni's 34% career 3pt shooting.

He'll do more than Britton Johnsen, I'll give you that much.

zeleni
07-04-2005, 10:40 AM
bring Toni to get the old Bulls deluxe veteran. He, I am shure, would shape up Beno and Barry (sharpshooters of the team)

KevinTheWrench
07-04-2005, 11:14 AM
I may be a tad bias because Kukoc has been my favourite player for the past decade, but I'd love the Spurs to get him.

He has the championship experience to fit in with the Spurs, and he could provide veteran leadership to some of the Spurs shooters.

In 12 minutes, he could give you like 4 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, and a steal

Out...

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2005, 11:16 AM
According to an interview he gave here, Toni has narrowed down his options to the Bucks, Bulls and the Spurs. If Devin is resigned, he might be the 12th man on the roster.

Interesting.

Again, he'd only be an 11th or 12th man and cost the minimum. Not every Spur bench player can be an All-Star. In spot minutes he would work and it's not like anyone knows what's going to happen with Glenn Robinson.

The Spurs couldn't go wrong with adding some more length in the frontcourt. Kukoc's J is still good enough that teams would have to respect it and his ballhandling ability is sufficient enough to run a break.

The Spurs have limited cap room and an ownership group that isn't full of spendthrifts.

Get used to it.

my2sons
07-04-2005, 11:50 AM
seems to fit the type of player that cia pop brings in to finish off his bench, experiencec, character guy that can dribble hit a three and will not play very much until needed...foul trouble, injury good veteran guy thats had some injury problems and has played on some bad teams. nice alternative if nothing else pans out, but extremely greatful that pop and staff make the decisions rather than so many hell no posts....i remember alot of hell no posts to robert horry and look where he is now, everyone thought he was washed up with his last year in LA and didn't do a whole lot to change peoples mindset his first year here, but pop knew best and if he feels that tony would be a good addition to this team who am i to question it

Karl Mundt
07-04-2005, 12:43 PM
He said he's gonna play one more season, then retire. He'd like to either stay with the Bucks for his family's sake, go to the Bulls for sentimental reasons or go to the Spurs to win one more ring. The Spurs will probably have 5 big men on the roster and 7 backcourt players. With Tony, Manu, Bruce, Beno, Brent and Devon it only leaves one place on the roster, which will either be filled with another swingman to played behind Brent and Devon in sparse minutes, or another back-up point guard. Toni could be the desired long SF for one season, while Devon gets most of the minutes behind Bruce. He can still provide some shooting, passing and court vision, not to mention veteran leadership. I think the Spurs might show interest and i wouldn't be surprized if he actually ends up here. Considering he recently played with Beno and Rasho in the exhibition game, i wonder if they had any influence in swaying him towards choosing the Spurs. It really depends on what Popovich thinks of him though.

On a side note, there was also an interview with Bodiroga and he's mentioned the Spurs among three NBA teams that ever offered him a contract, but didn't specify when this occured. And Jasikevicious is very likely to play in the NBA next year.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Starters
1 Parker
2 Ginobili
3 Bowen
4 Duncan
5 Mohammed

Bench
1 Beno
1/2 Barry
2/3 Brown
3 Kukoc
4 Horry
4 Scola
5 Nesterovic

IR
1 Wilks or other PG
3 LJohnson III or other young SF
5 Massenburg or younger PF/C

That's a pretty solid roster. Kukoc shouldn't take a lot of time to fit into Pop's system. He has range on his shot, he has good enough handles for a perimeter player in the motion offense, he can lead the break, and he can put the ball on the floor and drive. Also, his length would be nice to throw at teams defensively at the 3 when the need arises. Yes, his best years are behind him, but all things considered (cap room, cost, minutes available, and experience) he'd be a solid pickup for the end of the bench.

midgetonadonkey
07-04-2005, 03:18 PM
spurs need some vet leadership
if horry leaves toni might not be bad
he was a winner at one time

I think Duncan can fill the role of veteran leader. I'd rather keep Big Dog on the roster instead of Kukoc.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2005, 03:19 PM
I think Duncan can fill the role of veteran leader. I'd rather keep Big Dog on the roster instead of Kukoc.

True. But what if Big Dog leaves? I'd rather go with Kukoc for next season than a project backup 3.

timvp
07-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Kukoc as your 11th or 12th man would work. The Spurs wanted him last year but he went back to the Bucks. The Spurs have had some trouble against long small forwards who like to post up. Kukoc being 6-foot-11 would help in those situations.

People wanted no part of Ferry or Horry when they were free agents. Kukoc could be another veteran who when called upon can hit some big shots.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Yeah, Ferry and Horry were both panned by Spurs fans when they were signed.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Just FYI

In an article I read yesterday, Kukoc's agent said that he was going to wait to see what the Bucks were going to do first and he wasn't in any hurry.

midgetonadonkey
07-04-2005, 06:55 PM
Kukoc as your 11th or 12th man would work. The Spurs wanted him last year but he went back to the Bucks.

I bet he is glad he stayed.
:bang

Horry For 3!
07-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Away with Kukoc!

Extra Stout
07-05-2005, 03:47 PM
Kukoc for the vet minimum makes sense. He'd only play like every fourth game. The Spurs' rotation is already pretty much set anyway. No top-flight players are going to take a huge pay cut to get spot minutes on the Spurs bench.

timvp
07-21-2005, 09:13 PM
Toni Kukoc is unlikely to return to the Milwaukee Bucks next season, his agent told the Racine Journal Times this week.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-0507210014jul21,1,6981299.story?coll=cs-basketball-print&ctrack=1&cset=true

Interesting.

It'll probably be between the Bulls and the Spurs.

ace3g
07-21-2005, 09:14 PM
and although I would like to see him in a spurs uniform, he said he would rather be in Chicago( but he did say if he didnt have a ring at this stage in his career, he would definitely sign with the spurs) take that how you please.

ducks
07-21-2005, 09:23 PM
if the spurs sign him and big dog and sign the summer league progject this would be a deeeeeeeeeeeep team

wildbill2u
07-21-2005, 09:40 PM

Because Haley won't play unless you bring back you know who? :lol

Marcus Bryant
07-21-2005, 10:07 PM
if the spurs sign him and big dog and sign the summer league progject this would be a deeeeeeeeeeeep team

It would be him or Big Dog. I'd prefer the latter, but I think the Spurs are set on the former.

Kori Ellis
08-05-2005, 03:27 PM
The Associated Press
August 5, 2005, 2:38 PM CDT

The Milwaukee Bucks re-signed forward Toni Kukoc to a one-year contract on Friday.

Kukoc played the last three of his 12 NBA seasons with Milwaukee, where he's averaged 8.7 points, 3.7 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 189 regular-season games.

The Tribune reported last month that there was a chance the Bulls might decide to bring Kukoc back.

Kukoc has averaged 12.2 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.8 assists in 781 regular-season games. He's played in 96 playoff games and won three championships with the Bulls in the 1990s.

The Bulls drafted him in the second round in 1990. Kukoc also has played with Philadelphia and Atlanta.

"I've always had a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for the way Toni plays the game," Bucks coach Terry Stotts said in a written statement. "In addition to his solid, veteran presence on the floor, Toni's knowledge and experience will be an invaluable asset to the younger players on our roster."

One of those younger players is Andrew Bogut, the No. 1 pick in this year's NBA draft. Bogut, an Australian who is of Croatian descent, considers Kukoc one of his favorite players. Kukoc, 36, is a native of Croatia.

Kukoc won two Olympic silver medals, the first in 1988 with the Yugoslavian team and the second four years later with the Croatian team.

Marcus Bryant
08-05-2005, 03:29 PM
One less option.

CaptainLate
08-05-2005, 07:32 PM
The Spurs will not round out their roster with the washed-up or the never-were. They would do it with young players with some promise, like they did with Linton Johnson and Sato last year.

Whatever happened to Sato and Dion Glover? What about bringing them into camp?

Money316
08-05-2005, 08:17 PM

Wood the fucker sign for $100K/yr? Can he play D? If so screw is age and character.
:fro :fro :fro

Money316
08-05-2005, 08:23 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_toni_kukoc.jpghttp://www.nba.com/bucks/images/bucks_logo.gif

Toni Kukoc | 7
Position: F
Born: Sep 18, 1968
Height: 6-11 / 2,11
Weight: 235 lbs. / 106,6 kg.

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/toni_kukoc/index.html)

Kukoc could be a low cost alternative. :nope NO!

Kori Ellis
08-05-2005, 08:25 PM
Whatever happened to Sato and Dion Glover? What about bringing them into camp?

Sato sucked so bad that he got cut from Phoenix's summer league roster.

T Park
08-06-2005, 12:19 AM
I said last year in when I saw him in Long Beach the guy stunk.

But I was roundly blasted on that.

Guess ol T Park knows somethin once in a while.