PDA

View Full Version : 5-6 years later and the Spurs still haven't addressed their basic needs....

SequSpur
10-11-2012, 04:33 PM
The Post Defense!

Go Matt.

Leetonidas
10-11-2012, 04:44 PM
5 years ago the Spurs were the defending champs.

freetiago
10-11-2012, 04:46 PM
This is a new and exciting thread

TDMVPDPOY
10-11-2012, 04:49 PM
who let the midget out

Solid D
10-11-2012, 05:45 PM
The Post Defense!

Amen!

spurraider21
10-11-2012, 06:17 PM
5-6 years later and we're still among the league's elite. shame on management

Kidd K
10-11-2012, 06:28 PM
OP, it's not as easy as you think to just go out and add a great post player. San Antonio is not a big, prime free agent destination. Antonio McDyess and TJ Ford were pretty much the only decent free agents I recall us getting in like. . .15 years. People just don't come to San Antonio. It doesn't get you props and you can get more money elsewhere.

When you see terrible players like Omer Asik getting eight million (whoa!) just for being halfway decent on defense, it should shed a little light on why we don't get those players. Tiago Splitter was the best we could do unless we went way into the luxury tax to overpay for it. Those guys will take their paydays when they can get 'em because the window's not big.

It's also not easy to stay as relevant as the Spurs have for as long as they have. 4 titles as a non large market team? That's the most in NBA history. And it came in a 9 year span which is unheard of. We've also seriously challenged for the title for at least an additional 5 times. Sometimes our runs getting cut short due to injuries. It happens. But when you look back, there is nothing to complain about whatsoever with what the Spurs have done. Can you nitpick? Sure. But did they perform way above and beyond what any reasonable person would have expected? Damn straight.

Better yet, the Spurs are still a top 5 team in the NBA this year, at least going into the season. We didn't get a good post defender, it sucks. But it's not a big deal. Spurs are still good, fun to watch, and brought up a shit ton of wins and titles.

Solid D
10-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Even though the Spurs have not addressed their hole in the middle defensively, in Kawhi, they did finally address the "long 3" issue that haunted the Spurs for years. They also found a way to get Jack back, even though he is an older version of Jack.

Arcadian
10-11-2012, 06:56 PM
But when you look back, there is nothing to complain about whatsoever with what the Spurs have done. Can you nitpick? Sure. But did they perform way above and beyond what any reasonable person would have expected? Damn straight.

I don't know man, I have to disagree. It seems like you're short-changing them by saying they "overachieved" or something. I don't look at it that way. I think the Spurs of the late 90s to early 2010s have been one of the best franchises in sports history, and they had one of the best players ever in Tim Duncan. Based on those criteria, any reasonable person should expect them to win at least 4 championships in 10+ years, and it easily could (should) have been more.

I'm not really complaining or promoting complaining, but we shouldn't say they overachieved. I don't think they either underachieved or overachieved; they just dominated the game for a decade. So if people aren't interested in playing for the Spurs - one of the best franchises in sports history - how do they justify that? It's bullshit.

SequSpur
10-11-2012, 07:15 PM
So great...now competition includes good and fun to watch? wtf is that? It's painfully obvious the Spurs have a chance to make the playoffs but no chance in hell to beat the elite.. As for money...shit, they have been pissing away money on non playoff talent for years. You want to make money, then spend money. And no, they are not that fun to watch...they are predictable all the way up until their wheels fall off like they did against the OK Sooners...

Give me a break...same ol story, same ol ending.... The only thing fresh is this new look to the forum and hopefully solid d's panties...

Go Matt.

racm
10-11-2012, 07:37 PM
OP, it's not as easy as you think to just go out and add a great post player. San Antonio is not a big, prime free agent destination. Antonio McDyess and TJ Ford were pretty much the only decent free agents I recall us getting in like. . .15 years. People just don't come to San Antonio. It doesn't get you props and you can get more money elsewhere.

When you see terrible players like Omer Asik getting eight million (whoa!) just for being halfway decent on defense, it should shed a little light on why we don't get those players. Tiago Splitter was the best we could do unless we went way into the luxury tax to overpay for it. Those guys will take their paydays when they can get 'em because the window's not big.

It's also not easy to stay as relevant as the Spurs have for as long as they have. 4 titles as a non large market team? That's the most in NBA history. And it came in a 9 year span which is unheard of. We've also seriously challenged for the title for at least an additional 5 times. Sometimes our runs getting cut short due to injuries. It happens. But when you look back, there is nothing to complain about whatsoever with what the Spurs have done. Can you nitpick? Sure. But did they perform way above and beyond what any reasonable person would have expected? Damn straight.

Better yet, the Spurs are still a top 5 team in the NBA this year, at least going into the season. We didn't get a good post defender, it sucks. But it's not a big deal. Spurs are still good, fun to watch, and brought up a shit ton of wins and titles.

Co-sign. Truthfully, I wanted a "lost season" so we could go and draft someone like Anthony Davis but no, the big 3 had to be too healthy and too good.

So great...now competition includes good and fun to watch? wtf is that? It's painfully obvious the Spurs have a chance to make the playoffs but no chance in hell to beat the elite.. As for money...shit, they have been pissing away money on non playoff talent for years. You want to make money, then spend money. And no, they are not that fun to watch...they are predictable all the way up until their wheels fall off like they did against the OK Sooners...

Give me a break...same ol story, same ol ending.... The only thing fresh is this new look to the forum and hopefully solid d's panties...

Go Matt.

How close have they been to a losing record? I'll take 4 rings and a constant playoff appearance over missing the playoffs in your prime. It's Debbie Downer fans like you who are the reason why the Spurs have a joke of home court advantage.

Solid D
10-11-2012, 08:08 PM
http://www.modugno.it/archivio/lancio_nano.jpg

iPhone pic taken of the last time Sequ said "Go Matt" at a GTG.

racm
10-11-2012, 08:27 PM
http://www.modugno.it/archivio/lancio_nano.jpg

iPhone pic taken of the last time Sequ said "Go Matt" at a GTG.

:lmao

SequSpur
10-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Dumb....

SpurNation
10-11-2012, 11:36 PM
They're working on it.

Kidd K
10-12-2012, 01:04 AM
I don't know man, I have to disagree. It seems like you're short-changing them by saying they "overachieved" or something. I don't look at it that way. I think the Spurs of the late 90s to early 2010s have been one of the best franchises in sports history, and they had one of the best players ever in Tim Duncan. Based on those criteria, any reasonable person should expect them to win at least 4 championships in 10+ years, and it easily could (should) have been more.

I'm not really complaining or promoting complaining, but we shouldn't say they overachieved. I don't think they either underachieved or overachieved; they just dominated the game for a decade. So if people aren't interested in playing for the Spurs - one of the best franchises in sports history - how do they justify that? It's bullshit.

I can respect your opinion, but if you also quoted what was before the quote you replied to there, you'd know my reasoning for sayin that. No big deal, I can just paste it here.

It's also not easy to stay as relevant as the Spurs have for as long as they have. 4 titles as a non large market team? That's the most in NBA history. And it came in a 9 year span which is unheard of.

Basically, if you look at the list of NBA teams who have won the title, and how many titles. . .you're looking at massive domination by large markets. Lakers, Celtics, Bulls. Then you look at small markets. . .only 2 teams have more than 2 titles. Pistons have 3 (16 years apart), and we have 4 (9 years apart).

So it actually is more than fans should have reasonably expected. Did we have Tim Duncan the whole time? Yeah. Robinson? Yes, but he wasn't the same as before we got Duncan.

We had injuries derail our seasons several times, which is probably the main reason we didn't win more. I wouldn't say we "got screwed" besides 2008 and 2012. We visibly got screwed by officiating in at least 2 games each year. But it happens.

When you consider that everyone on our team besides Duncan has been a 20th overall pick or worse until last year (besides old guys we got come in a couple times), I would say yes, we did exceed reasonable expectations for a small market. If you look at the NBA's history for small market team success, you'll know what I mean. We have the most titles for a small market man. . .and we're 4th overall in titles.

We could've had more. . .but I'm not discontent with four. The Duncan/Popovich Spurs will go down as the best "more with less" team in the history of the NBA until some team can surpass them. You could almost argue that in all of sports, no team with draft picks that low has been so successful with almost zero free agent help along the way. It's unheard of man.

You should be happy about what we've accomplished. And we've still got another couple years left of trying before it's time to tank for 2-3 years.

spurspokesman
10-12-2012, 07:37 AM
lmao

dunkman
10-12-2012, 12:57 PM
When they were dominant no GM was going to help them. The situation is different now, they got Kawhi, Diaw and Jack the last season. The only missing piece is an starter (all-star) PF imo.

lefty
10-12-2012, 12:59 PM

A championship-less Elite team

Impressive :wow

spurraider21
10-12-2012, 08:21 PM
considering the age of our core and the superteams of miami and okc, yeah, i think they've done ok. people have been writing off our team as too old for years now, and yet every year we are right there with the best of em. sure, we haven't won a championship in these recent years, but most other organizations would be worse off in our situation

SequSpur
10-17-2012, 11:15 PM
dumb

Sean Cagney
10-18-2012, 01:27 AM
considering the age of our core and the superteams of miami and okc, yeah, i think they've done ok. people have been writing off our team as too old for years now, and yet every year we are right there with the best of em. sure, we haven't won a championship in these recent years, but most other organizations would be worse off in our situation

Most would have a run like the Nets in the early 00's or the Pistons who had a run of an open windown and one title! Spurs get 4 titles and are still contenders since 99 an thats amazing, yet some still bitch.

racm
10-18-2012, 02:14 AM
Let's consider the following:

Pistons - six straight ECFs, two Finals appearances, one title
Spurs - 13 straight 50 win seasons, four Finals appearances (and four titles), never missed the playoffs since 1997
Lakers - 5 titles, 7 finals appearances since 2000, missed playoffs only once since
Celtics - one title since 2000, two Finals appearances, haven't missed playoffs since 2008 after a disastrous 24-58 season
Heat - two titles, 3 Finals appearances, no 60 win seasons since 2000, missed playoffs once since 2004 (and that was a disastrous 15-67 season).
Mavericks - 11 straight 50 win seasons, two Finals appearances, 1 title, get embarrassed in the first round after a historical regular season

dunkman
10-20-2012, 05:03 PM
The Spurs missed the playoffs in 97, that was when Duncan was drafted?

rascal
10-22-2012, 04:40 AM

Regular season champs.