PDA

View Full Version : Food and running

mrsmaalox
10-12-2012, 08:52 AM
I skimmed the old "getting in shape" thread and I found a lot of good meal advice, but I'm specifically looking for pre-run and post-run snacks or small meals. I like to just get up out of bed and go for my run; I'm never hungry first thing in the morning and have never been much of a breakfast eater, and I just feel better running without food in my stomach. But as my distance increases I know I need fuel. Timing is another thing, I read that optimately I should eat at least an hour before I go, but again that doesn't work with my get up and go routine. Lately I've begun to manage a couple of spoonfuls of yogurt with granola as I head out the door but that's about it. After my run, I'm tired but still not hungry and managing to get enough water down me is challenging enough. I'll eat a piece of fruit within a short while of finishing but if I understand correctly, I should be consuming protein post-run for maximum fat burn? I'm down 26 lbs and I don't want to be working against myself at this point, so I'd love to hear some personal experiences/opinions from other non-pros. Thanks :)

slacker77
10-12-2012, 09:07 AM
My morning routine sounds like yours.I didn't want to run on a meal nor did I have time to wait and digest.A friend of mine introduced me to product called E&E(energy and endurance) by beachbody.I simply put one scoop in a cup of water,down it,and wait about 10 mins to do its thing.It has a combination of nitric oxcide boosters,electrolytes,natural energizers,and essential b vitamins.While the taste is a bit to be desired,it has always done the trick for me.

cantthinkofanything
10-12-2012, 09:08 AM
http://www.boozingear.com/media/catalog/product/cache/7/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/M/S/MSC-0131/-Beer-Helmet-Camo-Beer-Hat.jpg

TheRunningMan
10-12-2012, 09:15 AM
I too don't like to eat and run but I'll sometimes eat like half a banana before I start in the mornings.

Wild Cobra
10-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Eggs.

InRareForm
10-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Why not use energy you can easily obtain from fruit?

Drachen
10-12-2012, 10:15 AM
I skimmed the old "getting in shape" thread and I found a lot of good meal advice, but I'm specifically looking for pre-run and post-run snacks or small meals. I like to just get up out of bed and go for my run; I'm never hungry first thing in the morning and have never been much of a breakfast eater, and I just feel better running without food in my stomach. But as my distance increases I know I need fuel. Timing is another thing, I read that optimately I should eat at least an hour before I go, but again that doesn't work with my get up and go routine. Lately I've begun to manage a couple of spoonfuls of yogurt with granola as I head out the door but that's about it. After my run, I'm tired but still not hungry and managing to get enough water down me is challenging enough. I'll eat a piece of fruit within a short while of finishing but if I understand correctly, I should be consuming protein post-run for maximum fat burn? I'm down 26 lbs and I don't want to be working against myself at this point, so I'd love to hear some personal experiences/opinions from other non-pros. Thanks :)

I eat a small apple before I go for a ride (or any other similarly sized fruit), then I drink a protein shake after it is over.

Oh, Gee!!
10-12-2012, 12:32 PM
banana with greek yogurt pre-run followed by protein shake post-run

TheRealCB
10-12-2012, 12:36 PM
A bowl of cereal,wait for 20-25 minutes and go for your run.

mrsmaalox
10-12-2012, 01:43 PM
I guess I need to break my roll out of bed and go habit to allow for some food and digestion time, because even the smallest suggestions here seem like more food than I care to run on.

Cane
10-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Sometimes I drink half a mug of water, but even having that sloshing around can get annoying

In the military and from cross-country, we ran before we chowed down on anything. Eating protein like eggs or one of those god damn protein bars is what I do. I also stock up on carbs so I don't feel the need to eat before running, kind of like preparing for a marathon but not that excessive

Pedobear1
10-12-2012, 02:34 PM
I don't see how you feel at all comfortable running in bra and panties...

baseline bum
10-12-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm always pretty hungry after running, so I eat a grip of peanuts after. High in calories, don't have to cook shit, and pretty good for you unless you get the heavily salted ones.

ashbeeigh
10-12-2012, 06:30 PM
It really depends on how long of a run you're going to go on. If it's short, like 1-5 miles then not eating is okay. The coaches for my Team in Training recommend some toast or a granola bar before a run. I try a banana if I can get myself up early enough. Avoid fiber and dairy. It literally can make you run to the bathroom after or during a run. Also look into the little Engery goos or gummies. Those help too throughout a run and they're pretty delicious.

Post long run get in some protein. That's all I have to say. And if you start to cramp try some pickle juice. Look into a foam roller as well.

mavs>spurs
10-12-2012, 06:59 PM
why is there one of these threads like every other month? man you old mid-life crisis havin bitches don't actually work out, ya'll do it for like a month then stop and make a new thread a few months later.

ashbeeigh
10-12-2012, 07:30 PM
why is there one of these threads like every other month? man you old mid-life crisis havin bitches don't actually work out, ya'll do it for like a month then stop and make a new thread a few months later.

She already said she read over that thread, And tbh, I think the men of spurstalk start more threads about weight lifting than the women have started. And anytime you wanna come and run my 11 miles with me at 5:45 in the morning on Saturdays you are more than welcome to.

ashbeeigh
10-12-2012, 07:30 PM
double post

mavs>spurs
10-12-2012, 07:38 PM
She already said she read over that thread, And tbh, I think the men of spurstalk start more threads about weight lifting than the women have started. And anytime you wanna come and run my 11 miles with me at 5:45 in the morning on Saturdays you are more than welcome to.

are you REALLY running 11 miles? how are you measuring that, on a track? that would take someone who isn't an athlete like 3-4 hours

Wild Cobra
10-12-2012, 07:43 PM
are you REALLY running 11 miles? how are you measuring that, on a track? that would take someone who isn't an athlete like 3-4 hours
At a normal 4 MPH walking pace, it's 2:45...

ashbeeigh
10-12-2012, 07:44 PM

There are running apps for your phone with GPS. My 10 miles was 1 hour 58 minutes so add on my 11ish mile it would be about 2 hours and 10 minutes to do 11.

www.dailymile.com/people/ashley_shute#ref=tophd

Viva Las Espuelas
10-12-2012, 07:45 PM

You must have one helluva sports bra

ashbeeigh
10-12-2012, 07:47 PM

I wear five.

mavs>spurs
10-12-2012, 07:48 PM
i used to run cross country back in high school but i've never ran anything like 10 miles before in my life. i think the typical cross country meet was like 3-6 miles..and even that was really stretching it for me. i'm no good at those extreme distances, i'm a mid distance guy. anything between 400 meters and a mile. i could run a mean mile back in the day.

@WildCobra I was guestimating and assuming a woman just getting into fitness would stop at times during a 10 mile.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-12-2012, 07:48 PM
I wear five.

Wow. That's amazing.

mavs>spurs
10-12-2012, 07:49 PM
I wear five.

lol i know a girl with F's who doesn't even do that. you lie.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-12-2012, 07:50 PM
lol i know a girl with F's who doesn't even do that. you lie.

Wow. That's amazing.

ashbeeigh
10-12-2012, 07:52 PM
i used to run cross country back in high school but i've never ran anything like 10 miles before in my life. i think the typical cross country meet was like 3-6 miles..and even that was really stretching it for me. i'm no good at those extreme distances, i'm a mid distance guy. anything between 400 meters and a mile. i could run a mean mile back in the day.

@WildCobra I was guestimating and assuming a woman just getting into fitness would stop at times during a 10 mile.

So, I huess you won't be running with me this weekend then? And truth is, I don't run straight. I do 3:1 intervals.

Wow. That's amazing.

I know it. I gotta keep myself safe from the black eyes.

mavs>spurs
10-12-2012, 07:54 PM
lol run with you? i'm in dfw..and my heart would explode if i tried doing that now. i haven't done any physical activity outside of randomly showing up to a bball GTG with bump since hs..that was 5 years ago.

ashbeeigh
10-12-2012, 07:56 PM
lol run with you? i'm in dfw..and my heart would explode if i tried doing that now. i haven't done any physical activity outside of randomly showing up to a bball GTG with bump since hs..that was 5 years ago.

Ashbeeigh: 1 mavs spurs: 0.

mavs>spurs
10-12-2012, 07:57 PM
hey i'll admit that i'm out of shape if it's the truth. i still doubt you'd be able to outrun me though..let's do 1 mile and you got a deal :)

baseline bum
10-12-2012, 10:02 PM

:rollin

mrsmaalox
10-12-2012, 10:26 PM
I don't see how you feel at all comfortable running in bra and panties...

Why not? :lol

mrsmaalox
10-12-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm always pretty hungry after running, so I eat a grip of peanuts after. High in calories, don't have to cook shit, and pretty good for you unless you get the heavily salted ones.

This sounds the best and I always have nuts available, mostly almonds and pistachios. Like the idea of a hardboiled egg too, if I can remember to cook a few each week to have ready.

Pre-run I'll probably just stick to water, as Ash pointed out I'm under 5 miles still, and by the time I swallow my handful of supplements I don't have room for anything else.

mavs>spurs
10-12-2012, 10:35 PM
if your tits are so big that you need 15 sports bras just to run, running ain't the exercise for you at all imho. she should just fuck to stay in shape, and believe me she could get plenty of it. it's good exercise tbh.

mrsmaalox
10-12-2012, 10:35 PM
I wear five.

Damn, you must have some really dense breasts! :lol

baseline bum
10-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Damn, you must have some really dense breasts! :lol

Can't tell without pics or video tbh.

TE
10-12-2012, 11:36 PM
if your tits are so big that you need 15 sports bras just to run, running ain't the exercise for you at all imho. she should just fuck to stay in shape, and believe me she could get plenty of it. it's good exercise tbh.

:lmao

Viva Las Espuelas
10-12-2012, 11:46 PM
. it's good exercise tbh.
Mmmhmmmm

mrsmaalox
10-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Well this morning I had half an apple and a waffle (it was convenient) and was able to wait an hour before going out because it is cool outside today. I added a quarter mile to my distance and cut 5 minutes from my time, and noticed a big difference in how I felt post run. Thanks for all the suggestions :)

ashbeeigh
10-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Just don't over do it. The first time I added a half a mile and shaved off some time off of my time I ended up coming home and sleeping for 12 hours.

Drachen
10-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Well this morning I had half an apple and a waffle (it was convenient) and was able to wait an hour before going out because it is cool outside today. I added a quarter mile to my distance and cut 5 minutes from my time, and noticed a big difference in how I felt post run. Thanks for all the suggestions :)

That's great. It is thrilling when you do that. That is actually one of the reasons I started to dabble in running. I was reaching my limit with biking (with my current bike). I was stuck at 15 MPH and I rode 28ish miles. I don't have a tone of time, so I couldn't go further to satisfy my need to continually improve and since my speedometer seemed pegged at 15 MPH, I started to get a little bored with it. I needed a new challenge, which is a reason that I started to run (that and the fact that my wife was starting to run and I wanted to really get that inertia going by supporting her with my presence). I like riding better and when I get another bike (probably road bike, if not, hybrid), I will probably be back at it as much as before.

Oh and Ash, it looks like you have really stuck with it. It has done you well it seems.

mrsmaalox
10-15-2012, 01:52 PM
That's great. It is thrilling when you do that. That is actually one of the reasons I started to dabble in running. I was reaching my limit with biking (with my current bike). I was stuck at 15 MPH and I rode 28ish miles. I don't have a tone of time, so I couldn't go further to satisfy my need to continually improve and since my speedometer seemed pegged at 15 MPH, I started to get a little bored with it. I needed a new challenge, which is a reason that I started to run (that and the fact that my wife was starting to run and I wanted to really get that inertia going by supporting her with my presence). I like riding better and when I get another bike (probably road bike, if not, hybrid), I will probably be back at it as much as before.

Oh and Ash, it looks like you have really stuck with it. It has done you well it seems.

Yes I needed a new challenge, and although I've always kept active (aerobics/kickboxing) the last few years I've found myself doing more walk/running because I have a big dog who needs exercise and also because I have some great trails near my house. Because of many negative events in my life this last year, my emotional health was suffering greatly and the physical challenge of a serious running routine, along with the daily connect with nature has made an unbelievable difference for me.

TheMrPeanut
10-16-2012, 07:16 AM

:tu

mrsmaalox
11-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Well I was off my routine for a week, cuz I went home to visit family; I ran a couple of times out there and my friend tried put me through his military PT test one 5am, which was laughable----I gave up and went to sleep in the car after about 10 minutes! Getting back to it this week has been pretty easy in spite of a 4lb Mexican food weight gain, but I think I've decided that no food before running is the best option for me. I keep expecting to crump from lack of fuel but I guess I have enough on "reserve" :lol

mrsmaalox
11-02-2012, 12:49 PM
I wear five.

Oh Ash, I got the best bras ever from Joe Boxer! I can absolutely not wear a bra without underwire, and I can't stand those flattening, binding sports bras. I ordered a couple of high impact, underwire, push-up running bras that are amazing. Nothing moves at all, and the girls look mah-velous under a lycra tank ;)

leemajors
11-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Well I was off my routine for a week, cuz I went home to visit family; I ran a couple of times out there and my friend tried put me through his military PT test one 5am, which was laughable----I gave up and went to sleep in the car after about 10 minutes! Getting back to it this week has been pretty easy in spite of a 4lb Mexican food weight gain, but I think I've decided that no food before running is the best option for me. I keep expecting to crump from lack of fuel but I guess I have enough on "reserve" :lol

I ride my bike 23 miles every morning during the week (weather permitting), and I never eat before I go. I usually eat some eggs and beans when I get back, or just a cup of black beans after.

mrsmaalox
11-02-2012, 12:57 PM
I ride my bike 23 miles every morning during the week (weather permitting), and I never eat before I go. I usually eat some eggs and beans when I get back, or just a cup of black beans after.

23 miles?! Damn that's impressive. I think I'll just do protein afterward too, I've heard that's the key for maximum fat burn.

ashbeeigh
11-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Oh Ash, I got the best bras ever from Joe Boxer! I can absolutely not wear a bra without underwire, and I can't stand those flattening, binding sports bras. I ordered a couple of high impact, underwire, push-up running bras that are amazing. Nothing moves at all, and the girls look mah-velous under a lycra tank ;)
Ordered them? Ugh. I couldn't even do that. I have to try them on. I don't understand it. I found a good one at Target actually. It was a Champion bra. The other one i have is from Dick's Sporting Goods (didn't just want to say Dick's...lol) and leaves horrible marks. I haven't found any with wires in them that fits. So, I keep it with the ones I have and the ones that I try on. :)

I'm glad you're getting into it. I love running. It's so my time to just be by myself.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
11-03-2012, 07:14 PM
hey i'll admit that i'm out of shape if it's the truth. i still doubt you'd be able to outrun me though..let's do 1 mile and you got a deal :)
lol fat