PDA

View Full Version : Usage of Gasoline peaked in 2006, will continue to plummet

InRareForm
10-12-2012, 10:57 AM
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1052787_u-s-gasoline-usage-peaked-in-2006-will-plummet-in-future

boutons_deux
10-12-2012, 01:52 PM
The oilcos will just push up the price of oil and gas to maintain their $100Bs in profits rolling in.

LnGrrrR
10-12-2012, 02:00 PM
That's amazingly good news if true.

baseline bum
10-12-2012, 04:44 PM

Is it? Two of the reasons listed are

Ethanol in gasoline, now at 10 percent, could rise to 15 percent or perhaps even more (despite a lawsuit today against the E15 mandate);

Plug-in cars that use far less gasoline, or none at all, like the just-launched electric 2011 Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt, are now entering the vehicle fleet; and

The first is pretty terrible, since it's driving our food prices to hell. The second? Does the electric car have any kind of future stacked against hybrids? Aren't the batteries extremely heavy and extremely expensive?

boutons_deux
10-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Is it? Two of the reasons listed are

The first is pretty terrible, since it's driving our food prices to hell. The second? Does the electric car have any kind of future stacked against hybrids? Aren't the batteries extremely heavy and extremely expensive?

and of course ethanol is tough on engines and is less dense in energy per volume, so less mpg. One big disappointment is that Obama didn't kill the ethanol mandate. (another was not killing Medicare Advantage).

LnGrrrR
10-12-2012, 04:58 PM
I agree that the whole "ethanol" thing is pretty dumb. But on the second point, I think that eventually the electric car will find its way, wether it be through better battery technology, lighter materials, or some other form. And even if hybrids were to take over a bigger piece of the market, that's still a good thing.

baseline bum
10-12-2012, 05:45 PM
I agree that the whole "ethanol" thing is pretty dumb. But on the second point, I think that eventually the electric car will find its way, wether it be through better battery technology, lighter materials, or some other form. And even if hybrids were to take over a bigger piece of the market, that's still a good thing.

I'd be really surprised if the near future (e.g., 20 years from now) natural gas hybrids aren't the dominant type of new car being sold here. Maybe hydrogen fuel cell cars 50 years down the line.

baseline bum
10-12-2012, 05:45 PM
and of course ethanol is tough on engines and is less dense in energy per volume, so less mpg. One big disappointment is that Obama didn't kill the ethanol mandate. (another was not killing Medicare Advantage).

Magic Negro is one disappointment after another.

Wild Cobra
10-12-2012, 06:09 PM
The oilcos will just push up the price of oil and gas to maintain their $100Bs in profits rolling in.

Yes, my mutual fund portfolio thanks you for the info too.

Wild Cobra
10-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Yes, I agree.

We never needed this mandate. Simply tell gasoline providers they can use as much as 15% alcohol and still cal it gasoline, and make then display their percentage value. Remove all subsidies on the corn and alcohol that makes to to the fuel market. Let the consumers decide what they want.

Me, I'll go for the pure hydrocarbon chained stuff. Keep that oxygen atom out of that light paraffin chain!

Other consumers, who wish to be more green can have the ethanol.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Only talking about gas is obfuscating the reality which is oil consumption which is what baselines cost.

http://www.indexmundi.com/energy.aspx

Wild Cobra
10-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Peaked in 2006.

What year was ethanol mandated? I forget. Anyone remember?