PDA

View Full Version : Link to ”21 reasons the Pre-K tax is bad for San Antonio

Blake
10-12-2012, 02:03 PM
On November 6, voters in San Antonio, Texas will vote on whether the city should own and operate a network of early childhood education centers. The initiative is controversial, and rightly so. There are many reasons to question whether such a network, which would operate in competition with existing private and public day-care and pre-school programs, is the best or even an appropriate use of taxpayer dollars.

This Policy Brief describes the initiative and then presents 21 reasons the plan is a bad idea. Sources for facts and numbers that appear here are readily found from public sources, which the author is willing to help readers find.

http://heartland.org/policy-documents/21-reasons-why-san-antonio-pre-k-tax-plan-bad-idea

This plan is getting pushed hard by Castro and is getting a huge boost from some prominent business leaders like HEB.

if anyone wants to throw out some logical reasons why San Antonio should be footing this bill in the form of a tax increase, I'll be glad to listen.

At the moment, I see many, many more negatives than positives and I would encourage everyone that can vote to vote it down.

boutons_deux
10-12-2012, 02:08 PM
I don't know why they use sales tax, when property tax rise would be much less regressive.

ElNono
10-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Do a search... this was discussed on another thread not long ago, IIRC.

Blake
10-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Do a search... this was discussed on another thread not long ago, IIRC.

It was.

But since then it now is officially on the Nov 6th ballot.

boutons_deux
10-12-2012, 02:15 PM
http://heartland.org/policy-documents/21-reasons-why-san-antonio-pre-k-tax-plan-bad-idea

This plan is getting pushed hard by Castro and is getting a huge boost from some prominent business leaders like HEB.

if anyone wants to throw out some logical reasons why San Antonio should be footing this bill in the form of a tax increase, I'll be glad to listen.

At the moment, I see many, many more negatives than positives and I would encourage everyone that can vote to vote it down.

you are against the tax or against the Pre-K education no matter what funding source?

Blake
10-12-2012, 02:17 PM
you are against the tax or against the Pre-K education no matter what funding source?

I'm against this particular tax.

No problem with funding it through other means.

TeyshaBlue
10-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Still a breathtakingly stupid idea.

ElNono
10-12-2012, 02:32 PM
It was.

But since then it now is officially on the Nov 6th ballot.

Oh, ok. Carry on.

TeyshaBlue
10-12-2012, 02:34 PM
This thread has the EN Seal of Approval!

ElNono
10-12-2012, 02:39 PM
This thread has the EN Seal of Approval!

Express News?

TeyshaBlue
10-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Express News?

ElNono News?

TeyshaBlue
10-12-2012, 02:43 PM
That would be ENN.

TeyshaBlue
10-12-2012, 02:43 PM
(James Earl Jones Voice)

ElNono