PDA

View Full Version : Is Pop Souring on Tiago Splitter?

timvp
10-12-2012, 11:17 PM
I thought it was odd that Tiago Splitter didn't play in the first half of last game. Tonight against the Nuggets, he only played when Denver went big with two centers. Josh Powell and DeJuan Blair were the first two bigmen off the bench. Splitter didn't re-enter in the second half. In total he played only eight minutes -- and that's with Pop giving Matt Bonner the night off.

When Splitter got hurt shortly after the start of training camp, Pop had this to say: "Tiago’s getting better, but he’s going to miss the beginning of training camp again, unfortunately. It’s been a habit for him."

Maybe I'm being paranoid but that sounds a lot like the quotes Pop had about Beno Udrih when that situation went south. Beno eventually proved to be an NBA caliber player but -- largely due to nagging injuries -- Pop got tired of him and eventually nudged him out of the rotation.

Personally, I hope I'm overreacting. Splitter had a damn good season last year (before the Thunder went Hack-a-Splitter against him) and he has the potential to be the best backup center in the league. I'm hoping Pop finds a way to play him about 25 minutes per game this season.

But looking at just the facts (mostly the quote and the subsequent playing time), it looks like Splitter is in Pop's doghouse right now.

TDMVPDPOY
10-12-2012, 11:24 PM
pop is playing it safe with him, if pop thinks splitter wont hold up for the season...the spurs wouldve signed curry already

it didnt help when pop continue with the small ball midget lineup b4 going big for the 2nd half...

as with beno, he only had one bad series against the pistons and got fat, then bring in a chucker in NVE...beno was too good to be bench warmer, let alone his price tag...

Leetonidas
10-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Just the preseason, if Pop starts pulling this shit in the regular season when Splitter was dominating at times last season then he's insane. Like you said, he has the potential to be the best backup C in the NBA.

I also just bought myself a new Splitter swingman so he better not get traded :lol

TDMVPDPOY
10-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Just the preseason, if Pop starts pulling this shit in the regular season when Splitter was dominating at times last season then he's insane. Like you said, he has the potential to be the best backup C in the NBA.

I also just bought myself a new Splitter swingman so he better not get traded :lol

ill tell you, when a player on this team gets hot....the other 4 morons on the court start to jack up shots or not continue feeding the guy with the hot hand, or pop benching the guy with the hot hand for no apparent legitimate reason....this was the case with duncan last season and was really frustrating to continue to watch....

racm
10-12-2012, 11:54 PM
It's preseason. Curry and the others are working themselves off.

Leetonidas
10-12-2012, 11:57 PM
That's another strong possibility since Splitter is guaranteed a spot in the rotation and he is injury prone, maybe Pop wanted to give the guys fighting for the last spot an extended look while not giving Tiago a chance to get injured in a meaningless game

Bruno
10-12-2012, 11:59 PM
I find it way more intriguing to see Bonner receiving a second DNP-CD in a row than to see Splitter playing only 8 minutes while he is coming back from an injury.

ElNono
10-13-2012, 12:01 AM
He needs to rub off some nasty off Jack or Curry, tbh... He also needs to attend back to the basket school.

racm
10-13-2012, 12:02 AM
That's another strong possibility since Splitter is guaranteed a spot in the rotation and he is injury prone, maybe Pop wanted to give the guys fighting for the last spot an extended look while not giving Tiago a chance to get injured in a meaningless game

Exactly, and he'll be backing up Tim Duncan for most of the season.

I find it way more intriguing to see Bonner receiving a second DNP-CD in a row than to see Splitter playing only 8 minutes while he is coming back from an injury.

It's worth noting the last time he scored points was in game 2 of the WCF.

ElNono
10-13-2012, 12:04 AM

Derek Fisher still without a team, and now Bonner getting no playing time...

Union cleanup? :stirpot:

racm
10-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Derek Fisher still without a team, and now Bonner getting no playing time...

Union cleanup? :stirpot:

Billy Hunter with the purge tbh

CGD
10-13-2012, 12:50 AM
Sounds like Pop is just frustrated at the situation, not Splitter. The timing of the injuries are out of his control. Pop recognizes the important role Splitter had last year, and values his production.

-21-
10-13-2012, 12:54 AM
I thought Splitter was in the doghouse ever since he arrived tbh.

Fabbs
10-13-2012, 01:13 AM
Personally, I hope I'm overreacting. Splitter had a damn good season last year (before the Thunder went Hack-a-Splitter against him) ....... it looks like Splitter is in Pop's doghouse right now.
Are you including the temper tantrum Popped threw when he might have missed ONE defensive assignment vs OKC last year?
Splitter in Pops **dawghowse** now or has been for quite some time. Or as one said "ever since he got here"?
I remember you posting last year that CIA Popped needed to develop Tim and Splitter working together if we were going to have playoff success vs. playoff opponent front lines. We pretty much one and all agreed and yet, into the **dawghowse** went Splitter.

I also hope its as poster above mentioned that Splitter is guaranteed a spot so CIA Petty Tyrant is just giving some other players more playingtime.

dunkman
10-13-2012, 04:40 AM
It seems that Pop wants to motivate Splitter to show more fire. He was hard on Parker too, and TP eventually became a great player. It was the same with Beno, he liked Vaughn better because he was more motivated.

lurker23
10-13-2012, 04:56 AM
I won't be worried too much until Splitter has reduced minutes in regular season games. As I said in a previous thread, I think the main reason Bonner isn't playing much is because he's a known quantity and the Spurs want to evaluate other players. While I think Splitter needs more reps this preseason than Bonner does (primarily due to Tiago's upside), I'll choose to believe that Splitter is being benched for a similar reasons (plus return from injury).

All this being said, if Pop truly is souring on Splitter (and is planning on giving him less than 15 mpg come late season), then they absolutely have to trade him this year. Value-wise, you're not likely to get much from a package revolving around Neal/Blair/Bonner. However, if you throw Splitter into that mix, you have a serious chance of getting a rotation caliber big in return.

therealtruth
10-13-2012, 05:51 AM
Spurs need to dump Splitter. Pop isn't the right coach for him. He can be more than a backup center.

ceperez
10-13-2012, 07:57 AM
It is preseason.

Splitter in injury prone.

No need to play in when 3 other guys are vying for a spot.

superbigtime
10-13-2012, 08:19 AM
I wish Pop would take Splitter out of the woodshed and doghouse and into the living room. This guy's talent is going largely to waste. Coach of the Year should be able to figure out how to better utilize an Olympian center.

racm
10-13-2012, 08:21 AM
It's preseason people. No need to play a talented yet injury prone big man heavy minutes in a game meant for 15th men to fight for roster spots.

ploto
10-13-2012, 09:37 AM
I am more with timvp on this one! Pop values training camp so much, and he gets very frustrated with guys who always seem to have these nagging injuries during the time of the season when they need to practice hard and learn so much. It has also seemed at times that maybe Pop questions just how injured Splitter is compared to guys like Manu and Tim who are bugging him to get to play when they are hurt.

SpurNation
10-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Not sure of the "it's pre-season and he's a known commodity". Duncan is a known commodity as well and has logged more time this pre-season than Splitter. Who...if was struggling in playoffs last season would think he would be getting more time to help improve his role before the season starts.

Pop was noticeably not pleased with Splitter in the OKC series. And reactively, Tiago noticeably not pleased with Pop. That's a recipe for getting soured when it comes to Pop so I don't think it may be out of the question if Pop is souring on Tiago.

therealtruth
10-13-2012, 11:34 AM
It is preseason.

Splitter in injury prone.

No need to play in when 3 other guys are vying for a spot.

Why do we keep giving excuses for Pop when he refuses to play Splitter? He's already shown a pattern of not playing him.

jjktkk
10-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Because every time Splitter starts to get meaningful minutes, he seemingly gets dinged up. Hard to rely on a guy who can't stay healthy.

silverblk mystix
10-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Like I said before- Splitter should have been traded as he will never ever get a true chance to play here. Maybe some team will see his value and as a bonus- the Spurs can get some talent. Someone who will actually get a fair chance from Pop.

I still hope Splitter gets traded - there is no way he will ever get out of Pop's doghouse.

dunkman
10-13-2012, 02:18 PM
The Spurs must keep Splitter, he has the tools to become an borderline all-star.

superbigtime
10-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Ride the pine and get ready to be berated on national TV. Gee how come no one wants to come here? Is it because its not a major metro city, or is it because the coach is a fuckin asshole.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
10-13-2012, 03:55 PM
I won't be worried too much until Splitter has reduced minutes in regular season games. As I said in a previous thread, I think the main reason Bonner isn't playing much is because he's a known quantity and the Spurs want to evaluate other players.

There are quite a few other players that are known qualities, but they have seen plenty of action.

elemento
10-13-2012, 04:08 PM
He is coming back from an injury. I think it's a normal move by Pop. As Bruno said, i think it's way more weird to see Bonner collecting his 2nd DNP in a row.

spurraider21
10-13-2012, 04:25 PM
He is coming back from an injury. I think it's a normal move by Pop. As Bruno said, i think it's way more weird to see Bonner collecting his 2nd DNP in a row.
Pop is just resting his secret weapon

lefty
10-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Because Bonner is much better than Splitter

Well according to Pop

lcroock
10-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Trade Tiago + Bonner for Milsap and keep Curry aboard. Spurs need a consistent front court player if they want any shot at another ring with this crew.

TD 21
10-13-2012, 05:47 PM
I won't be worried too much until Splitter has reduced minutes in regular season games. As I said in a previous thread, I think the main reason Bonner isn't playing much is because he's a known quantity and the Spurs want to evaluate other players. While I think Splitter needs more reps this preseason than Bonner does (primarily due to Tiago's upside), I'll choose to believe that Splitter is being benched for a similar reasons (plus return from injury).

All this being said, if Pop truly is souring on Splitter (and is planning on giving him less than 15 mpg come late season), then they absolutely have to trade him this year. Value-wise, you're not likely to get much from a package revolving around Neal/Blair/Bonner. However, if you throw Splitter into that mix, you have a serious chance of getting a rotation caliber big in return.

Rotation caliber? More like starting caliber.

They're in a tough spot, because they clearly want and need to become tougher and better defensively (especially in the paint), but no matter how frustrating Splitter's fragility and softness is, for obvious reasons, they can't drop him from the rotation.

This is why I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he ends up being traded by the deadline. As I've said, I think Smith will be their primary target, but failing that (which is likely), I think they'll turn their attention to Varejao. He's virtually everything they want Splitter to be and he could likely be had for Splitter and Bonner. He's also a financial fit. Most of his $8.4M salary will be gone by the deadline, so they'd only have to pay him $9.1M the following season (he does have a $9.8M team option after that, but they'd definitely decline it).

z0sa
10-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Pop just being power mad per the usual.

team-work
10-13-2012, 07:33 PM
I also tend to agree with timvp. When I read Pop's quote on Splitter's "injury pattern" during training camps, I think he'd be high on Pop's trade list, above Blair, Neal, and of course Bonner.

Solid D
10-13-2012, 08:16 PM
I think youre probably right, timvp. Pop gets frustrated with players missing reps in training camp. It's almost like it ruins his opinion or sours Pop on any player who can't get the full benefit of camp. I think as long as Tiago does what Pop asks him to do during the season, he'll be fine. Beno wouldn't do what Pop asked of him half the time. Particularly on the 40 defense, picking up his man full court to pressure the ball. Beno would do a 30 defense at best.

DPG21920
10-13-2012, 10:26 PM
This thread brings me back to when I said this. I still believe in Tiago, but if he has value around the league, you probably have to trade him both for financial reasons (he will likely get a decent contract) and because Pop seemingly just does not like/trust him & most importantly Pop probably feels Tiago/Tim can't play together.

Also, I think Tiago needs to be on the table. I am about as big of a Tiago fan as you will find, but I don't see him flourishing here. He definitely has the tools to flourish in the NBA, but I am not sure if that is here and I am not sure the time is now.

With his age and those factors in mind, if a team is pretty high on him and it can net you a solid draft pick I think the Spurs should listen (even if that means taking a step back from a contention standpoint in the next two years- but he was used sparingly anyways and the Spurs still got to the WCF.)

Splitter and Tim aren't going to play together it seems. Tiago still has some overall question marks about his game. I was talking more along the lines of the Hill trade where if he can net you a pick 15 or higher, that's not a bad option.

I guess my thoughts are what is the goal. If Tim plays two more years, that puts Tiago at 29/30 and what is his ceiling to help if the Spurs got the WCF without him playing much and when Tim and him won't see much time together?

I get that he needs to grow into a larger role, but that was my original point, I don't know if he can flourish here because of circumstance (Pop, injuries, Duncan...).

therealtruth
10-13-2012, 11:21 PM
I also tend to agree with timvp. When I read Pop's quote on Splitter's "injury pattern" during training camps, I think he'd be high on Pop's trade list, above Blair, Neal, and of course Bonner.

It's the same as his blue collar non skilled comments he makes when Tiago is doing well. It's ridiculous. It's like everytime Tiago would have a good game Pop would go out of his way to limit his minutes in the next game. I don't think Pop will ever be a fan. Everytime Tiago does well it makes him look like an idiot for not playing him that much.

Obstructed_View
10-14-2012, 01:03 AM
You mean Pop was sweet on Splitter? Ever?

Pop decides he doesn't like a player, and that player never gets out of it. Watching Splitter spend his rookie season on the bench when the Spurs could have really used him is all anyone needs to know. Despite good play, he's never gotten consistent minutes and any setback causes Pop to overreact and blame the player for it. Not really anything new.

ChumpDumper
10-14-2012, 02:52 AM
lol preseason

spurspokesman
10-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Like I said before- Splitter should have been traded as he will never ever get a true chance to play here. Maybe some team will see his value and as a bonus- the Spurs can get some talent. Someone who will actually get a fair chance from Pop.

I still hope Splitter gets traded - there is no way he will ever get out of Pop's doghouse.

And someone who can stay relatively healthy.

silverblk mystix
10-14-2012, 10:58 AM
lol preseason

lol still defending pop-even in preseason-pop fuckups

ChumpDumper
10-14-2012, 12:18 PM
lol still defending pop-even in preseason-pop fuckupsall I said was lol

lol still holding e-grudges

Splitter was never as good as we built him up to be. A lot of folks are still in denial about it.

Fabbs
10-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Splitter was never as good as we built him up to be. A lot of folks are still in denial about it.
Who is "we"? and what did "we" build him up to be?
Who are "a lot of folks"?

ChumpDumper
10-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Who is "we"? and what did "we" build him up to be?
Who are "a lot of folks"?
Definition of WE

1: I and the rest of a group that includes me : you and I : you and I and another or others : I and another or others not including you —used as pronoun of the first person pluralhttp://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/we

We built him up to be better than he actually is. You can include yourself in that group if you want. I would.

Hope this helps your quest for understanding simple English and posting without using stupid nicknames. I believe you can do it.

Fabbs
10-14-2012, 12:36 PM
wimpy backpedal
par.

ChumpDumper
10-14-2012, 12:38 PM
I still don't get it after it was dumbed down for me.Par.

We built him up to be better than he actually is. You can include yourself in that group if you want. I would. Y'know -- if you're honest and realistic.

therealtruth
10-14-2012, 12:58 PM
It seems that Pop wants to motivate Splitter to show more fire. He was hard on Parker too, and TP eventually became a great player. It was the same with Beno, he liked Vaughn better because he was more motivated.

The same approach won't work with every player. That approach would probably backfire with Splitter.

DPG21920
10-14-2012, 01:11 PM
I am not quite sure what people built him up to be, but he has been pretty damn good I think all things considered.

ChumpDumper
10-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Premature preseason thread is premature.

Injured Splitter was injured.

Fabbs
10-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Par.

We built him up to be better than he actually is. You can include yourself in that group if you want. I would. Y'know -- if you're honest and realistic.
If you can substantiate your claim with a link to any of my posts, please do so.
Otherwise it's a Chump fabrication.

ChumpDumper
10-16-2012, 01:05 PM
If you can substantiate your claim with a link to any of my posts, please do so.
Otherwise it's a Chump fabrication.List all your stupid nicknames for Spltter so I can put something in the search field.

Better yet, post a link to any basketball take you had regarding Splitter's game.

I will certainly concede that you never had an actual opinion regarding Splitter's game if that is the case -- let me know.

timvp
10-16-2012, 03:39 PM
List all your stupid nicknames for Spltter so I can put something in the search field.

:lol That literally made me lol.

spurraider21
10-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Splitter is the only player outside Tim that has any sort of defensive presence in the paint. Unless you guys are confident that Curry can protect the basket, prepare to see Tiago in there for about 20-22 minutes a night.

Obstructed_View
10-16-2012, 06:57 PM
We built him up to be better than Dejuan Blair, Antonio McDyess and Matt Bonner. Last check, he's still better than all three. Pop admitted as much when he suddenly put him into the Memphis series after ignoring him most of the year.

rmt
10-16-2012, 10:56 PM
We built him up to be better than Dejuan Blair, Antonio McDyess and Matt Bonner. Last check, he's still better than all three. Pop admitted as much when he suddenly put him into the Memphis series after ignoring him most of the year.

Same with the LAL series - a 30 pt beat down turned around to a 30 pt win. Why Pop is in love with (choking) Bonner and leaves Splitter on the bench is a mystery to me. It's like clock work that Bonner starts missing as soon as April approaches.

SequSpur
10-16-2012, 11:41 PM
Splitter sucks...

ChumpDumper
10-17-2012, 03:14 AM
We built him up to be better than Dejuan Blair, Antonio McDyess and Matt Bonner. Last check, he's still better than all three. Pop admitted as much when he suddenly put him into the Memphis series after ignoring him most of the year.lol ignoring. Dude played almost as much as Bonner and Blair. Probably would have had he not been injured.

People still try to say he's got a great post game.

silverblk mystix
10-18-2012, 08:09 PM
lol ignoring. Dude played almost as much as Bonner and Blair. Probably would have had he not been injured.

lol defending pop's stupidity for about 68,000 of your 70,000 plus posts

ChumpDumper
10-18-2012, 09:05 PM
lol defending pop's stupidity for about 68,000 of your 70,000 plus postslol too preoccupied with your e-grudge for 100% of your posts to actually understand a simple sentence

Gagnrath
10-18-2012, 09:55 PM
People thought that the spurs were getting a player that had the makings of a traditional post presence, with above average mobility for his size and rebounding with adequate defense. He does have the above average mobility, but isn't strong enough to really have much post presence in the NBA. His defense is adequate but he has a tendency to wilt a bit against guys who want to be physical with him and post him up. The beginnings of a post game that we saw on highlights didn't really mature as he went up against physically comparable players though his good hands and mobility for his size make him a pick and roll assassin, (we really wish he would develop a sure 5'8' bunny jumper so that he could pick and pop in with that to really leave the other team guessing). His rebounding suffers because of his dislike of contact, and the fact he can be muscled out of position by most of the guys he faces regularly.

All that added in and you have a guy who is a sub-par starting center or a very good back-up center.

He is only starting his 3rd year in the NBA though and still definitely developing. Its just not at the pace the fans would hope for nor is he what in some ways early signs presented him to be. Part of this is that things he was able to do against 2nd and lower tier euro bigs he can't in the nba, part of it is false hopes on the fans part.

Once you add in the near constant nagging injuries on him that slow his development and make knowing weather or not he will be available at any given time and he does become something of a concern. Another part of this is no-one really knows if he is either fragile, unable to play with a hang-nail or simply unlucky, each of the injuries seems to be fairly legit, and you expect a guy to go down for a game or two a season with a rolled ankle, or a stiff back or neck from taking a hard fall. Each time you see that you go 3 to 5 games, and most players are out 2 and limited the next game; with Splitter its always 5 or he tries to come back in 3 is in effective and then sits 3 more 2 games later. I don't know weather to feel sorry for it, or tell him to suck it up and play when you are feeling 95% because you are rarely going to be at 100%.

DesignatedT
10-18-2012, 10:52 PM
3rd best big on the team. He should play 20-25 mpg during regular season.

spurs10
10-18-2012, 11:08 PM
3rd best big on the team. He should play 20-25 mpg during regular season.
Tim, Diaw, and Tiago, I presume?

xmas1997
10-19-2012, 07:29 AM
All that fuss about nothing, if we didn't have him we would be wishing we did.

Obstructed_View
10-19-2012, 07:14 PM
lol ignoring. Dude played almost as much as Bonner and Blair. Probably would have had he not been injured.

lol injured. lol almost as much. lol strawman. lol chump fail.

lefty
10-19-2012, 10:50 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/srrOZEhveVc/0.jpg

ChumpDumper
10-19-2012, 11:31 PM
lol injured. lol almost as much. lol strawman. lol chump fail.Are you saying he wasn't injured last season?

Yes or no.

Please answer.

Russo21
10-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Has Pop ever been sweet on Tiago? Don't think so.

Obstructed_View
10-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Are you saying he wasn't injured last season?

Yes or no.

Please answer.

What's last season have to do with Pop not playing him two years ago when he was completely healthy?

ChumpDumper
10-21-2012, 05:08 AM
What's last season have to do with Pop not playing him two years ago when he was completely healthy?Oh, your last check was 2011? When he played more minutes than Bonner in only one game?

Obstructed indeed.

Tiago is overrated. I did it too. Might as well admit it.

ChumpDumper
10-21-2012, 05:09 AM
What's last season have to do with Pop not playing him two years ago when he was completely healthy?Oh, your last check was 2011? When he played more minutes than Bonner in only one game?

Obstructed indeed.

Tiago is overrated. I did it too. Might as well admit it.

Gagnrath
10-21-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure he's so much overrated as over anticipated. People seemed to be expecting a completed borderline allstar bigman, and instead got a rookie with tools to become what he was rumored to be. Now what I find maddening is that his development isn't even close to where I was hoping it would be, and I am starting to become a bit worried that this will be a case of squandered potential.

therealtruth
10-21-2012, 05:58 PM
I'm not sure he's so much overrated as over anticipated. People seemed to be expecting a completed borderline allstar bigman, and instead got a rookie with tools to become what he was rumored to be. Now what I find maddening is that his development isn't even close to where I was hoping it would be, and I am starting to become a bit worried that this will be a case of squandered potential.

Pop isn't the right coach to develop a bigman. He can develop guards but what bigman have developed under Pop's watch?

szkorhetz
10-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Pop isn't the right coach to develop a bigman. He can develop guards but what bigman have developed under Pop's watch?

More than likely this is fucking true.

Gagnrath
10-21-2012, 07:28 PM
There was this rookie I seem to remember coming in right after Pop became head coach, I think he got MVP a couple of times or something like that.....

therealtruth
10-21-2012, 08:01 PM
There was this rookie I seem to remember coming in right after Pop became head coach, I think he got MVP a couple of times or something like that.....

Duncan was already good and had a polished game when he got to the Spurs. He had the footwork and post moves and could pass out of the post. He could defend and rebound. I don't think Pop can take credit for that.

Ice009
10-21-2012, 09:59 PM
Duncan was already good and had a polished game when he got to the Spurs. He had the footwork and post moves and could pass out of the post. He could defend and rebound. I don't think Pop can take credit for that.

David Robinson also said something along the lines of Tim was already better than him the first time they worked out. I think he said Tim had every move in the book.

Pop cannot take much credit at all for Tim, sure he probably helped Tim a little, but Tim was pretty much ready to go.

dylankerouac
10-21-2012, 11:16 PM
What coach does develop bigs well? I would assume this coaches team would make the playoffs every year, even have the flexibility to trade away some of their bigs for stars and just be unstoppable year in and year out.

I dont think this coach or team exists. Michael, Kobe and Lebron all had to put their own time into developing a post game and some (non coat-tailers) only won championships after post up play was part of their game. Luckily Tim knew the importance of this when he entered the league. TBH I would be excited to hear that Kahwi is working on his post up game, at least he'd be working on it earlier than M,K and L. He has time to make it a major strength and it's a skill that is extremely valuable in the playoffs.

therealtruth
10-21-2012, 11:25 PM
There are definitely coaches that develop bigs. Look at the Rockets with Omer Asik. And they haven't even had him that long.

rmt
10-22-2012, 01:52 AM
If Pop had played Splitter 25-30 mins per game in his rookie year, he would be much further along in his development than he is now. But no, he decided to treat him like Oberto, plant him on the bench, learn the language and NBA and play that choker Bonner instead. Pop's attitude toward him and his "blue-collar" comments make him seem like some scrub whose job it is is to do the "dirty work" when Splitter has more talent (offensive ability, good hands, pick and roll ability, etc) than an Oberto. It's no wonder he seems to lack confidence since he's been treated so. Some of you guys need to look around the NBA and see the lack of quality big men there are out there. Most of them have terrible hands, no b-ball iq and all they can do is jump out of the gym.

Just because Splitter is not exactly what the Spurs need (a defensive big) doesn't mean that he doesn't have value. It seems the Spurs now have 2 backup big men with some semblance of offensive game but not the defensive skills that the Spurs need. Doesn't mean that Splitter can't learn them - he's young and MOBILE enough. Spurs' fans have been spoiled by DRob and Duncan. Trade or bury Bonner on the bench and play Splitter at least 25 minutes. It's way past time to see what he's got - he'll be gone next year and I wouldn't blame him.

Ice009
10-22-2012, 02:14 AM
Well I have actually soured on Splitter. I thought he was better than what he has shown.

I don't like that he seems to get nagging little injuries and sits out games because of them. He's also playing too soft for my liking. I don't think he is soft, but he plays soft at times and that really ruins his game. He needs to be more aggressive and stay aggressive all the time. That's how he will get on the court more, that and not sitting out with minor injuries. It's in his control.

DapDaGenius
10-22-2012, 02:49 AM
Well I have actually soured on Splitter. I thought he was better than what he has shown.

I don't like that he seems to get nagging little injuries and sits out games because of them. He's also playing too soft for my liking. I don't think he is soft, but he plays soft at times and that really ruins his game. He needs to be more aggressive and stay aggressive all the time. That's how he will get on the court more, that and not sitting out with minor injuries. It's in his control.

Agreed 100%.

timvp
10-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Unfortunately, it looks there is a strong possibility that Splitter will be the fifth bigman going into the season. :td

TD 21
10-27-2012, 06:05 PM
Unfortunately, it looks there is a strong possibility that Splitter will be the fifth bigman going into the season. :td

Hopefully, him barely playing is just to give him a kick in the ass and show him that he's not going to just be handed 15-20 minutes every game on the count of him being one of only two centers on the team and that he'll have to play tougher and play through the occasional hang nail to get those minutes.

If not and Pop is seriously contemplating this (or has made a final decision altogether), then he needs to be fired. Seriously. Not only would that be insane, but it would also be hypocritical. Four straight training camps he's pretended as if defense is the focus and going on four straight years, we've seen nothing but evidence to the contrary.

therealtruth
10-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Hopefully, him barely playing is just to give him a kick in the ass and show him that he's not going to just be handed 15-20 minutes every game on the count of him being one of only two centers on the team and that he'll have to play tougher and play through the occasional hang nail to get those minutes.

If not and Pop is seriously contemplating this (or has made a final decision altogether), then he needs to be fired. Seriously. Not only would that be insane, but it would also be hypocritical. Four straight training camps he's pretended as if defense is the focus and going on four straight years, we've seen nothing but evidence to the contrary.

Splitter has to be the first big of the bench for the Spurs to improve and get better defensively. It's that simple.