PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Does the 2007 Finals winner deserve an asterisk?

LkrFan
10-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Man oh man. Looking at the below vid gets me to wondering. Does the 2007 Finals winner deserve another asterisk? The Suns were up 100-97 (after a ferocious and impressive comeback on the road no less) with 32.5 seconds remaining in the game. Horry could have just tapped Nash in an obvious foul situation to stop the clock. Instead, well, see for yourself:

Hs147_VdQXs&sns=em

20*7 championship was a farce. There is no doubt in my mind that the Suns were the better team. I get PO'd every time I read this BSPN snippet:

PHOENIX -- There was heartbreak in the desert for the severely short-handed Phoenix Suns, and the San Antonio Spurs are one win away from the Western Conference finals.

Bruce Bowen, labeled a dirty player by the Suns' Amare Stoudemire and the subject of taunts all night from the Phoenix crowd, sank a tiebreaking 3-pointer with 36 seconds to play. That gave the Spurs their first lead since the game's opening six minutes, and they pulled out an 88-85 victory on Wednesday night.

"It felt great," Bowen said. "After all the things I was hearing from the sidelines it was great. The people were calling me choice names I had never heard before."

San Antonio took a 3-2 lead in the best-of-seven series and can close it out by winning at home in Game 6 Friday night.

The Suns, without their all-NBA center Stoudemire and replacement Boris Diaw, and using essentially a six-man rotation, nearly won a grind-it-out kind of game the Suns aren't supposed to be able to play.

LINK (http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?id=270516021)

Bruce Lee kicked Nash in the family jewels (no suspension), but Stat and Diaw both got suspended "for leaving the bench" when he was sticking up for Nash after Horry's cowardly heinous act. No doubt in my mind they would have been up 3-2 going back to the 210 with all the momentum.
Discuss sons. :downspin:

Latarian Milton
10-13-2012, 08:40 AM
any team winning the west would of beaten the cavs in the finals eventually. had the mavs not got robbed in the first round that year they would have a decent chance to surmount the spurs and go on to win the title tbh.

LkrFan
10-13-2012, 09:05 AM
any team winning the west would of beaten the cavs in the finals eventually. had the mavs not got robbed in the first round that year they would have a decent chance to surmount the spurs and go on to win the title tbh.
True, but the Suns would have taken out the Mavs too IMO. 2007 was their year but they were Robbed tbh.

Latarian Milton
10-13-2012, 09:24 AM
the suns never had the edge against the spurs, the team they got assraped by 3 years in a row IIRC

Tuddy
Too obvious

Koolaid_Man
Man oh man. Looking at the below vid gets me to wondering. Does the 2007 Finals winner deserve another asterisk? The Suns were up 100-97 (after a ferocious and impressive comeback on the road no less) with 32.5 seconds remaining in the game. Horry could have just tapped Nash in an obvious foul situation to stop the clock. Instead, well, see for yourself:

Hs147_VdQXs&sns=em

20*7 championship was a farce. There is no doubt in my mind that the Suns were the better team. I get PO'd every time I read this BSPN snippet:

LINK (http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?id=270516021)

Bruce Lee kicked Nash in the family jewels (no suspension), but Stat and Diaw both got suspended "for leaving the bench" when he was sticking up for Nas
h after Horry's cowardly heinous act. No doubt in my mind they would have been up 3-2 going back to the 210 with all the momentum.
Discuss sons. :downspin:

I won't give the Spurs an asterisk for that one. They won it...they played nasty and it was more palatable seeing the Spurs win it than the Suns at the time...I abhorred the Suns and even though they best us twice I took solace in the fact that they never went on to ring.
Duncan only truly deserves 1 main asterisk that was the 99 title...just like the licked 2012 title...

Stephen A. Smith
10-13-2012, 09:57 AM
My sources tell me that the fix was in for that series before Horry's foul and Boris and 'A'm'a'r'e's' ill advised exit from the bench. Stern wanted the Suns and their exiciting brand of ball in the finals, HOWEVA he also knew that if the Suns won that series and went on to win the championship the NBA might very well fold under the weight of the Suns lack of legitimacy. Quite frankly they knew that no fan or journalist in their right mind would ever accept the idea that a team that couldn't sweep a Kobe Bryant "led" team in the first round was a true champion.

Leetonidas
10-13-2012, 10:06 AM
In the letter submitted by Donaghy's attorney, the following "manipulation" is alleged:

"Referees A, F and G were officiating a playoff series between Teams 5 and 6 in May of 2002. It was the sixth game of a seven-game series, and a Team 5 victory that night would have ended the series. However, Tim learned from Referee A that Referees A and F wanted to extend the series to seven games. Tim knew referees A and F to be 'company men,' always acting in the interest of the NBA, and that night, it was in the NBA's interest to add another game to the series. Referees A and F heavily favored Team 6. Personal fouls [resulting in obviously injured players] were ignored even when they occurred in full view of the referees. Conversely, the referees called made-up fouls on Team 5 in order to give additional free throw opportunities for Team 6. Their foul-calling also led to the ejection of two Team 5 players. The referees' favoring of Team 6 led to that team's victory that night, and Team 6 came back from behind to win that series."

Although no teams are specifically named, it is not hard to deduce the game in question. The Lakers-Kings series was the only one that postseason that went seven games, and the officiating in Game 6 was so questionable that consumer advocate and former presidential candidate Ralph Nader called for a formal investigation.

The Lakers attempted 40 free throws to the Kings' 25 in that game, and Los Angeles made 21 of 27 from the line while Sacramento converted 7 of 9 in the fourth quarter alone.

In addition, a foul was called against Mike Bibby of the Kings after he was shoved and elbowed by Kobe Bryant, denying the Kings an opportunity to try for a tying basket. Also in that game, Kings centers Vlade Divac and Scot Pollard fouled out, and Kings coach Rick Adelman was highly critical of the officiating afterward.

"My first thought [upon hearing Donaghy's allegation] was: I knew it," Pollard said Tuesday night. "I'm not going to say there was a conspiracy. I just think something wasn't right. It was unfair. We didn't have a chance to win that game."

The Lakers went on to win the 2002 NBA championship*

Leetonidas
10-13-2012, 10:08 AM
I won't give the Spurs an asterisk for that one. They won it...they played nasty and it was more palatable seeing the Spurs win it than the Suns at the time...I abhorred the Suns and even though they best us twice I took solace in the fact that they never went on to ring.
Duncan only truly deserves 1 main asterisk that was the 99 title...just like the licked 2012 title...

you had me until the 99 asterisk talk. lol phil jackson parrots. still mad that young Duncan swept your asses and closed down the forum :lol

DMC
10-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Laker fan is eternally lamenting the fact that a small market franchise from a city full of be@ners and a river of piss water took a huge shit on what would have otherwise been one of the most dominant decades by any team in NBA history.

Juggity
10-13-2012, 11:46 AM
:lol suddenly concerned about aggressive plays that cost a team a series

Maybe we should talk about the foul on Brent Barry

Clipper Nation
10-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Speaking of asterisks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjRcTiwVEwo

Leetonidas
10-13-2012, 12:34 PM
:lol suddenly concerned about aggressive plays that cost a team a series

Maybe we should talk about the foul on Brent Barry

:cry :cry b-b-b-but bones traveled first :cry :cry

baseline bum
10-13-2012, 12:53 PM
:lol LOL Nash's flop cost him his only shot at a ring. :lol

ElNono
10-13-2012, 01:26 PM
:lol calling me #obsessed

bbarry
10-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Nash admitted to flopping on that hip-check.

Nothing else needs to be said.

timvp
10-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Tbh, that Game 4 win by the Suns was a fluke anyways. The Spurs had it in the bag but just took their foot off the gas too early. And it's not like the Spurs couldn't win big games in Phoenix. Phoenix was a second home for those Spurs teams.

Koolaid_Man
10-13-2012, 02:42 PM
:lol LOL Nash's flop cost him his only shot at a ring. :lol

about the realest and funniest thing you've ever posted..now go back to being gay :lol

irishock
10-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Spurs would've won the series anyways had Stoudemire not been suspended.

That was the year where it was either Dallas steamrolls to the championship or the Spurs do it. Suns had no chance against either team

LkrFan
10-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Leetonidas - deflection is the same as an admission. You are presenting circumstantial evidence from a rogue referee (Stern's words, not mines) that will not be admitted into this thread. Therefore, the Spurs are gu*lty. :lol

LkrFan
10-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Kool - if they won without any key Suns players getting suspended, then I agree with you. However, they got an assist from the NBA offices in New York on det one. On one hand, you have man kick another man in the balls and not so much as a flagrant is called. On the other hand you have people come to the aid of a fallen teammate get suspended for a playoff game? That is hardly fair to the Suns. I got a PM from Phillip Jackson and he has given me full authority to put an * next to the 2007 Finals winners. :lol

LkrFan
10-13-2012, 05:56 PM
ElNono - I am not obsessed son, just dropping irrefutable visual truth bomb worthy evidence. :lol

LkrFan
10-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Clipper Nation - this thread is for championship fans only. You may view it but must remain quiet since the only thing the Clipps have won is free rent at Staples.

ElNono
10-13-2012, 06:04 PM
ElNono - I am not obsessed son, just dropping irrefutable visual truth bomb worthy evidence. :lol

That's what I did too, tbh... kettle, pot, per par, lamborghini mercy, etc

Jodelo
10-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Quadruple post, impressive...

LkrFan
10-13-2012, 06:16 PM
That's what I did too, tbh... kettle, pot, per par, lamborghini mercy, etc

:lol

AussieFanKurt
10-13-2012, 06:56 PM
lol Lakerfan not forgetting 2002 WCF, just wanting to stir the pot and the job is done

Clipper Nation
10-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Clipper Nation - this thread is for championship fans only. You may view it but must remain quiet since the only thing the Clipps have won is free rent at Staples.
I'm an LA Kings fan, so therefore, I'm a championship fan, tbh.... :lol

LkrFan
10-13-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm an LA Kings fan, so therefore, I'm a championship fan, tbh.... :lol

:lmao - well played, sir. Well played. :lol

The_Worlds_finest
10-13-2012, 07:10 PM
you bet ya! Why stop at 07, lets go to 03 05 for bonus

Clipper Nation
10-13-2012, 07:12 PM
:cry "Every title not won by the Lakers deserves an asterisk" :cry

LkrFan
10-13-2012, 07:20 PM
^ The Clippers should go back to San Diego tbh. Clipper Fans are really Laker fans that can't afford to go to Laker games. Their tickets are a little more than $2 for courtside seats. And you call Kobe Food Stamp? :lol

Clipper Nation
10-13-2012, 07:39 PM
^ The Clippers should go back to San Diego tbh. Clipper Fans are really Laker fans that can't afford to go to Laker games. Their tickets are a little more than $2 for courtside seats. And you call Kobe Food Stamp? :lol

Yawn... horrendously old material and terrible takes, par for the course from LkrFag....

Latarian Milton
10-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Laker fan is eternally lamenting the fact that a small market franchise from a city full of be@ners and a river of piss water took a huge shit on what would have otherwise been one of the most dominant decades by any team in NBA history.
spurs didn't take on them lakers face-to-face in most of their championship years though. the past record between the two teams in the postseason doesn't count in spurs favor imho. spurs were lucky they got other teams (mavs and suns especially) to handle the lakers and wipe them out

Leetonidas
10-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Kool - if they won without any key Suns players getting suspended, then I agree with you. However, they got an assist from the NBA offices in New York on det one. On one hand, you have man kick another man in the balls and not so much as a flagrant is called. On the other hand you have people come to the aid of a fallen teammate get suspended for a playoff game? That is hardly fair to the Suns. I got a PM from Phillip Jackson and he has given me full authority to put an * next to the 2007 Finals winners. :lol

Not really, it's just funny and ironic that a Lakerfan would make a thread about a rigged series :lol

Slutter McGee
10-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Lakers Fan pretending the Kings have never been good. Especially not in one specific year.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

LkrFan
10-14-2012, 02:34 AM
:lol calling me #obsessed

rayjayjohnson
10-14-2012, 03:14 AM

:lmao kobe interacts with faggot timberlake courtside

DMC
10-14-2012, 03:38 AM
spurs didn't take on them lakers face-to-face in most of their championship years though. the past record between the two teams in the postseason doesn't count in spurs favor imho. spurs were lucky they got other teams (mavs and suns especially) to handle the lakers and wipe them out

That's a side note to what I was saying, it has nothing to do with my point.

Spursfan092120
10-14-2012, 07:58 PM
Not gonna show that video where Nash admits he flopped, huh? That's cool...no biggie. Scoreboard. Amare and Diaw broke the rules..they left the sideline. Horry got two games. When Amare and Diaw came back, Horry was still gone. Horry was the Spurs spark at that time. They should have won that game..they couldn't do it. They lost..period. Get over it. Oh..by the way...2002. That is all.

Clipper Nation
10-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Not gonna show that video where Nash admits he flopped, huh? That's cool...no biggie. Scoreboard. Amare and Diaw broke the rules..they left the sideline. Horry got two games. When Amare and Diaw came back, Horry was still gone. Horry was the Spurs spark at that time. They should have won that game..they couldn't do it. They lost..period. Get over it. Oh..by the way...2002. That is all.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm7cexa3xm1qag64lo1_250.gif

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-15-2012, 08:37 AM
If the the Spurs had not won the title then yes, there should have been an asterisk after the league specifically targeted the Spurs with a disproportionate punishment. Horry was suspended two (2) games for his foul on Nash. A needlessly hard foul?, Yes, but all body to body, nothing hit from the neck up. Meanwhile, in the other series in the West exactly zero (0) suspensions combined were handed out for these fouls by Warriors players on the Utah Jazz, all of which had obvious malicious intent towards the headological area.
mSNem3XQlt8
Xw4rWb33z10

Vids don't lie. Neither does the rulebook. Boris and Amare broke a rule and got bit by mandatory sentencing. Wouldn't be the first time that policy makers loved how tough that made them sound when they created the rule and stuck the guys who have to enforce with no way to make a punishment actually fit the crime. If anything about this entire episode should upset a fan of the NBA it's the way that the league arbitrarily threw a two game suspension at one of its greatest champions while ignoring truly dangerous fouls by another team.

racm
10-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Tbh, I think it's because nobody viewed either the Jazz or Warriors as contenders... who cared about a couple of teams who were fighting for the right to get flattened by either the Spurs or Suns?

ChuckD
10-15-2012, 07:04 PM
Tbh, that Game 4 win by the Suns was a fluke anyways. The Spurs had it in the bag but just took their foot off the gas too early. And it's not like the Spurs couldn't win big games in Phoenix. Phoenix was a second home for those Spurs teams.

IIRC, the Spurs had a higher win percentage in PHX for those 2003,2005,and 2007 series. I always hear whining about "if only they made it to game seven", and I'm thinking that we would have beaten them up and taken their lunch money like we always did.

LkrFan
10-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Speaking of asterisks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjRcTiwVEwo

Inadmissible Evidence
Testimony or other evidence that fails to meet state or federal court rules governing the types of evidence that can be presented to a judge or jury. The main reason evidence is ruled inadmissible is because it falls into a category deemed so unreliable that a court should not consider it as part of a deciding a case --for example, hearsay evidence or an expert's opinion that is not based on facts generally accepted in the field. Evidence will also be declared inadmissible if it suffers from some other defect -- for example, as compared to its value, it will take too long to present or risks inflaming the jury. In addition, in criminal cases, evidence that is gathered using illegal methods is commonly ruled inadmissible.

:downspin:

LkrFan
10-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Not really, it's just funny and ironic that a Lakerfan would make a thread about a rigged series :lol