PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Bobby Simmons

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 07:16 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_bobby_simmons.jpghttp://www.nba.com/clippers/images/clippers_logo.gif

Bobby Simmons | 21
Position: F
Born: Jun 2, 1980
Height: 6-6 / 1,98
Weight: 228 lbs. / 103,4 kg.
College : DePaul '02

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/bobby_simmons/index.html)

Most likely out of the Spurs' price range, but he is unrestricted...

Kori Ellis
06-26-2005, 07:17 PM
He'd be an incredible pickup for the Spurs. If things don't work out with getting Scola here, do you think he'd come for the MLE?

King
06-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Yes, please. But, like you said, too expensive, I imagine.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 07:18 PM
Hard to say. Spurs would also have to want to commit that much to him...

Horry For 3!
06-26-2005, 07:18 PM
Now your talking with Bobby Simmons, he is solid and a damn good shooter.

whottt
06-26-2005, 07:29 PM
:tu to signing this guy.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 07:29 PM
Sure, he'd be great. But as Kori points out the only way the Spurs might have a shot at signing him outright would be if Scola doesn't sign.

Mr. Body
06-26-2005, 07:30 PM
Can't afford him. Will get outbidded. Besides, he'd probably want to start, and who can blame him?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2005, 07:40 PM
I'll probably get reemed for this, but I would use the whole MLE on SImmons (if he wanted to come) before I'd sign Scola.

He's going to be an All-Star before he's done in the league. Bowen with an offensive game.

And as Bowen's replacement for the rest of the Duncan era? Damn we'd be set.

Nikos
06-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Yeah Simmons would be nice a solid two way player who could fit very easily in the Spurs system.

But isn't he kind of a pipedream, too much $, even if Scola DOESN'T come?

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 08:13 PM
If the Spurs were somehow able to use their $1 million exception (currently $1.6 mil) on Scola then they'd have the full MLE available for someone else. The only price I recall seeing for Scola was starting at $2 million.

IIRC, Manu was originally signed to that $1 mil exception when he joined the Spurs back in 2002, so perhaps there is some precedent...

T Park
06-26-2005, 08:21 PM
did Manu need money for a buyout??

I thought thats why Scola's contract needed to start so high.

I thought he had like a 2 million dollar buy out.

boutons
06-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Isn't the issue of starting the killer?
Which starter would he replace?
He would be trying to crack the 8-man Spurs championshp rotation or
prefer to start one a top-8 playoff contender?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2005, 08:49 PM
He wouldn't be trying to crack anything. Simmons would be our Sixth Man without question, and eventually take over for Bowen.

It depends on how much teams are willing to throw at him. If it comes down to MLE type offers, I think you could probably talk him into joining the World Champs, especially after being in the purgatory that is being a Clipper.

exstatic
06-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Sign and trade? The Clips usually just don't want to get shown up by losing a player for nothing.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Will Holt Cat really open up the wallet this summer? Hmmm...

Brodels
06-26-2005, 09:26 PM
Shit, I don't know if there's a better fit out of any of the free agents. He would be the perfect signing.

But he hasn't had his big payday yet, and I don't see how a team or two won't offer him more than the MLE. Sure, offer him the MLE and hope he takes it. But it's certainly a long shot. You would probably be asking a young up-and-comer to come off of the bench and take a pay cut.

It's a pipe dream, but make the offer. If for some reason he accepted, the Spurs would have everything they could ever hope for.

Guru of Nothing
06-26-2005, 11:08 PM
Not an option in my small mind.

I'd love for the Spurs to acquire him, but even if the money worked, the PT don't.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2005, 11:11 PM
Actually the PT would be there at the 2 and 3 spots. You can slide Barry to backup point, and send Beno off in a trade.

Get Simmons and you have a nice 2/3 rotation of Manu, Bowen, Simmons, and spot duty from Devin Brown.

He also solves the Bowen replacement equation. The signing is the perfect fit, but financially I just don't think we can swing it.

timvp
06-26-2005, 11:43 PM
He'll get more than the MLE and the Clipper won't do a sign-and-trade. I don't think they ever have.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2005, 11:49 PM
I'd send Sterling draft picks for the rest of his life if he wants them, maybe even rights to one of our Euros if we have a good idea one of them isn't going to pan out.

Teams that will have more than the MLE to offer players:

Atlanta 20 million
Charlotte 10 million
Cleveland 26 million
Denver 40 million
Clips 30 million
Milwaukee 28 million
New Orleans 16 million
Seattle 23 million
Washington 38 million

T Park
06-27-2005, 12:05 AM
fuck trade them Javtokas too.

Rights to javtokas, and 06 and 07 first round picks.

Bobby Simmons is gonna be a stud in 2 years.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2005, 12:14 AM
You can't trade your first round picks in successive years.

Mark in Austin
06-27-2005, 12:20 AM
With Martin, Camby, Miller, and all those first round picks over the past couple years, there's no way Denver has 40 million in cap room. Numbers must from from last summer before the Camby extension and Martin were signed.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2005, 12:38 AM
Mark - those are committed salaries. That's the best I could find scouring the web.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2005, 12:51 AM
The Clips usually just don't want to get shown up by losing a player for nothing.They do it all the time.

All depends on whether Sterling thinks he's worth the asking price.

slayermin
06-27-2005, 01:54 AM
I'll probably get reemed for this, but I would use the whole MLE on SImmons (if he wanted to come) before I'd sign Scola.

He's going to be an All-Star before he's done in the league. Bowen with an offensive game.

I tend to agree. As long as Horry signs on for another year, Scola isn't a dire need in the Spurs rotation. Simmons would be a nice pickup too. I would definitely prefer him over Griffin.

baseline bum
06-27-2005, 01:59 AM
When I see a vet have a good year for the first time in a contract year it throws up red flags to me. I remember one year ago everyone was creaming themselves at the thought of signing Dampier. If the team's going to throw big money around I want it to be for a proven player, not a possible one-hit wonder.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2005, 06:14 PM
I don't really see how you can consider him a "vet."

He's only been in the league four years and only really gotten extensive playing time this year.

Some guys just need to play - he did come out of school early, which probably hurt the development of his game.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2005, 06:15 PM
He's intriguing, no doubt. The thing is, the Spurs would have to offer him minutes and right now they can't do that.

Gino2882
06-29-2005, 12:13 PM
If Simmons was smart he would want come here. If the Spurs are given the chance they should explore EVERY opportunity to get this guy to SA. As for minutes, he can play some SG when Manu is resting and SF when Bowen is resting. I dont think there would be a problem with minutes.

However, the only way he gets to SA is via the sign and trade. Would a future first rounder and Beno do the job for the Clips?

Kori Ellis
07-07-2005, 10:19 PM
I wonder why there hasn't been much buzz around Bobby Simmons yet. I heard that the Clips wanted to keep him but didn't want to go above the MLE. I would think that he would be getting more attention.

His agent said this yesterday ..

"He's going to get offered a lot more than the midlevel," Bartelstein said Wednesday, referring to the midlevel exception of about $5 million. "The Nuggets are a great situation. I just don't know with their salary cap limitations if it's a likely situation."

... but I haven't heard him meeting with other teams that DO have more cap room than that.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Kori -

Bobby was the fallback for a lot of teams that were going (or thought they had a chance at going) after Redd, Allen, and Hughes.

I think after the Hughes sweepstakes are decided, you'll see Bobby's name in the paper a lot more.

ducks
07-07-2005, 10:31 PM
cavs have to go after him now

maybe it is because he is a clipper and q sucked for the suns in the postseason

Kori Ellis
07-07-2005, 10:34 PM
There's rumors that he's been seen hanging out with Sterling for the last few days and is probably staying with the Clips.

ducks
07-07-2005, 10:48 PM
trade scola for him

sterling likes draft picks hummmm.......................................

ducks
07-07-2005, 10:53 PM
spurs own scola

caspian
07-07-2005, 10:53 PM

I'm with ya. And he would be groomed to be a starter on a title team.

ducks
07-07-2005, 10:55 PM
we could trade him without buying him out

exstatic
07-07-2005, 10:58 PM
you're right we do own his rights

but we can't actaully use him unless we buy out his contract

Uh, you can ALWAYS trade his rights. Then, his contract becomes their issue.

ducks
07-07-2005, 10:58 PM
sterling could bring him over after his contract is over

exstatic
07-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Bobby is unrestricted. If the Clips feel they might lose him for nothing, they can work a trade to get something for him, instead of him walking, and he could wind up with a higher salary than the MCE. Man, you're really posting some dense stuff, SM. Think before you hit that post button.

ducks
07-07-2005, 11:02 PM
in case you have not noticed the clippers are more concerned about their payroll then winning

ChumpDumper
07-07-2005, 11:02 PM
When was the last time the Clips did a sign and trade?