PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade Parker for Rondo?

szkorhetz
10-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Personally, I would. Better defender, better play making skills, I would love to have him.

Drz
10-13-2012, 05:56 PM
The question of which of those two is better has been out there for a long time, and I think it's pretty obvious that they're extremely close in ability. Rondo has better speed and athleticism, while Parker is a better shooter and turns it over less often.

Since ability is so close, I'd stay with Parker, simply because he knows the Spurs system. Also, Rondo has the reputation of being a whiny bee-atch and not loved in the Boston clubhouse... not sure if it's true, but it's not the sort of thing I'd want to take a chance on.

spurraider21
10-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Tony is the perfect fit for our team right now but I'd take that trade in a heartbeat cause rondo is younger, more athletic, and is still getting better

timvp
10-13-2012, 06:10 PM
No. San Antonio's chances of winning a championship revolve around their chemistry. Messing with that chemistry for someone who might not even be an upgrade would be dumb.

TDMVPDPOY
10-13-2012, 06:21 PM
i do that trade in a heart beat, we get younger and he also passes alot which is a + in my book...

problem is his scoring, but we dont need that since we have so many offensive weapons on the team

rondo has outplayed parker every h2h

lol timvp using the chemistry excuse, when the big 3 form in boston for the first year...didnt stop them from makn the finals..

baseline bum
10-13-2012, 06:44 PM
lol timvp using the chemistry excuse, when the big 3 form in boston for the first year...didnt stop them from makn the finals..

Dude, that was five years ago when Pierce, Garnett, and Allen were still in their respective primes.

spurraider21
10-13-2012, 06:46 PM
I agree with timvp that Parker gives us our best chance to win with this squad. But dealing for rondo would set us up for the future. Rondo and kawhi would be nasty in the same lineup

capek
10-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Yes. San Antonio's chances of winning a championship revolve around their defense. Not going after a player would could potentially provide a significant boost to our perimeter defense would be dumb.

/fixed :toast

therealtruth
10-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Rondo is actually a better fit. Who would you expect to help get easy baskets for guys who are struggling with their shots like DG was during WCF? That says it all. Also Rondo is a much better defender. TP's strength is his offense but that is much less useful on a team with as many shooters as the Spurs. It's the shooters who should be taking most of the shots. Rondo would make sure everyone got plenty of shots. Heck he might even make Bonner useful in the playoffs. Also nothing helps chemistry better than playing good defense and getting guys good shots, things Rondo excels at.

spurraider21
10-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Rondo is actually a better fit. Who would you expect to help get easy baskets for guys who are struggling with their shots like DG was during WCF? That says it all. Also Rondo is a much better defender. TP's strength is his offense but that is much less useful on a team with as many shooters as the Spurs. It's the shooters who should be taking most of the shots. Rondo would make sure everyone got plenty of shots. Heck he might even make Bonner useful in the playoffs. Also nothing helps chemistry better than playing good defense and getting guys good shots, things Rondo excels at.
It's not like green wasn't getting good open looks. He was just cold. Magic could have given those passes. He wwas missing good open shots. Keep in mind our offense/team is built on pick and roll. Rondo ccan't pull up like tiny nor can he hit free throws

therealtruth
10-13-2012, 07:18 PM
It's not like green wasn't getting good open looks. He was just cold. Magic could have given those passes. He wwas missing good open shots. Keep in mind our offense/team is built on pick and roll. Rondo ccan't pull up like tiny nor can he hit free throws

Sometimes you have to get easier baskets if you're struggling with your shot. You see it all the time. A player is struggling and then he gets a easy basket or layup and he finally finds his shot. What changed? The player's confidence level. The easy basket increased his confidence. The point guard has to be able to figure out ways to get guys confidence going if they are struggling.

ElNono
10-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Yes

Juggity
10-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Actually, it's a tougher call than it looks on first glance. Rondo is kind of a bad seed/team cancer. He forced Ray Allen out of Boston.

His pass-first/defensive game is great, and if that were the only basis for evaluation, I'd do the trade without hesitation.

But I have a feeling Rondo is the type that might get frustrated with Pop or anyone telling him what to do.

TDMVPDPOY
10-13-2012, 08:27 PM
parker giving us a chance to win hahahahahaha what happen last season, beating a scrub in devin harris, beating a injured fat kid, gettin exposed by the frog he called out b4 the series....

Kidd K
10-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Would not trade Parker for Rondo. The Spurs have a good offense, but Tony Parker is a key piece in it. I'm not ready to dump a guy who's been a 10 year fixture on the team and helped bring 3 titles to the town for a guy I've always felt is overrated. Honestly, starting Point Guard is the one position I have zero complaints about whatsoever. He's the most reliable (still good) player on the team. Last dude I want to trade. Even for Rondo. Rondo's extra few assists doesn't make up for the loss of offensive punch that the other Spurs have been playing off of anyway.

parker giving us a chance to win hahahahahaha what happen last season, beating a scrub in devin harris, beating a injured fat kid, gettin exposed by the frog he called out b4 the series....

How'd Parker get exposed?

He held Westbrook to 18 PPG/37% shooting for the series. 7.3 APG, 3.3 TOs/game

Parker put up 21.5 PPG/48% shooting for the series. 6.3 APG, 3 TOs/game

Parker handled him. Nothing got "exposed". You're just only remembering Parker's 2 mediocre games and forgetting the good ones. Westbrook only had 2 good games and of those 2 good games, Parker had an even better game than Westbrook and OKC was 1-1 in those 2 games.

Parker made Westbrook, the supposed "better PG", the inferior PG. He gave the Spurs an edge at PG. Stop playing revisionist historian because he didn't completely destroy him. Parker still out-played Westbrook.

sananspursfan21
10-13-2012, 09:03 PM
agreed with timvp, no way would i wanna trade away any of the core. team chemistry is incredible and it's going to be the only thing that gives the spurs a chance for a championship this year. at this point, it would be foolish to trade any of our top 5-6 guys. All that ball movement and cuts and knowing where everybody's going to be on the court was the biggest success last year and will be this year, and it was a result of strong team chemistry

Drz
10-13-2012, 10:16 PM
A few of you seem to be underestimating how important Tony's offense is. The offense isn't just about "getting it to the shooters," it's also about (and more about in my opinion) having a player who can slash to the rim. Parker is far better at that than Rondo.

therealtruth
10-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Would not trade Parker for Rondo. The Spurs have a good offense, but Tony Parker is a key piece in it. I'm not ready to dump a guy who's been a 10 year fixture on the team and helped bring 3 titles to the town for a guy I've always felt is overrated. Honestly, starting Point Guard is the one position I have zero complaints about whatsoever. He's the most reliable (still good) player on the team. Last dude I want to trade. Even for Rondo. Rondo's extra few assists doesn't make up for the loss of offensive punch that the other Spurs have been playing off of anyway.

Parker handled him. Nothing got "exposed". You're just only remembering Parker's 2 mediocre games and forgetting the good ones. Westbrook only had 2 good games and of those 2 good games, Parker had an even better game than Westbrook and OKC was 1-1 in those 2 games.

Parker made Westbrook, the supposed "better PG", the inferior PG. He gave the Spurs an edge at PG. Stop playing revisionist historian because he didn't completely destroy him. Parker still out-played Westbrook.

That's not a fair comparison. Westbrook was the second best on his team. Parker was the MVP of the team. You can't seriously be comparing an MVP's performance to someone who is the second best on his team? Parker slightly outplaying their second best player, which is debatable, was not going to get it done for us. If anything Westbrook played more of a PG role. He distributed the ball and got out of the way so his teammates could do their thing. Parker's scoring wasn't enough to make up for the scoring drop-off from his teammates and his passing/distribution wasn't good enough to get them going either.

elemento
10-14-2012, 12:50 AM
C'mon Westbrook played more of a PG role because 1 more apg? Westbrook was the same dumb player in the SA series. The same moronic plays and the same bad shot selection.

The difference was the fact that SA had nobody to stop Durant/Harden and their bench actually stepped up for the challenge. For SA, the only bench player that played well was Jack.

It's pretty clear that Parker struggled after OKC put Sefolosha on him and after the OKC started to switch the P&R, but to put everything on Parker's back in simply wrong.

Matt Bonner in the RS - 6.6ppg / 3.3rpg FG 44% 3P 42%
Matt Bonner in OKC series - 0.8ppg / 1.8rpg FG 11.1% 3P 14.3%

Danny Green in the RS - 9.1ppg / 3.5rpg FG 44.2% 3P 43.6%
Danny Green in the OKC series - 3.3ppg / 2.2rpg FG 25.8% 3P 17.4%

Can we really blame Parker for this kind of choking job ? And they got a lot of open looks and still couldn't deliver.

You guys hate Parker too much.

Obstructed_View
10-14-2012, 01:06 AM
The sound on the other end of the phone is Danny Ainge's laughter.

racm
10-14-2012, 01:15 AM

True, it was Durant, Harden, and Ibaka/Collison playing out of their minds who beat up the Spurs. And the games weren't really decisive wins for either team save game 3.

szkorhetz
10-14-2012, 04:29 AM

With RayRay out of house, the C's would very welcome the scoring what Parker could bring. I would love the defense and ball distribution of Rondo.
But, yeah. I wouldn't trade Rondo for Parker, even if that the Celtics have got no future. The only promising young player they have is Bradley. So Parker would give them a chance to run at the title, and then full rebuild which is very much necessary in Boston, while the Spurs is locked in for another 5-6 years in the playoffs no matter if the PG is Parker or Rondo.

Raven
10-14-2012, 07:12 AM
I would trade him.. He's younger and is both the best passer in the league and the best defender at the pg.. That should be enough, in the cluth just give the ball to manu.

racm
10-14-2012, 07:34 AM
Rondo hasn't helmed an efficient offense, ever. The best offense the Celtics had was in their 2008 championship season, where they had a top 10 offense. The Spurs were amazing on both ends in all of their championship runs.

spurspokesman
10-14-2012, 07:43 AM

With some other team calling.

Cane
10-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Chemistry is huge, cue Brent Barry. But the Spurs have shown the resilience and depth to withstand injuries to the Big 3 and still get into the playoffs. Wasn't too long ago that Parker was coming off the bench

Rondo is younger, healthier, and the better playmaker, and better defender. No way in hell the Celtics make this trade but the Spurs would consider it.

CGD
10-14-2012, 10:20 AM
No. I don't see the huge upgrade. Sure the defense is better, but TP is our primary offensive weapon right now. Not sure you can give that up. Plus TP's fit is unquestionably better. Now if you we're talking Chris Paul for TP...

racm
10-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Didn't TP start in his rookie season?

IIRC the only playoffs where he really came off the bench was his injury-plagued 2010 campaign.

therealtruth
10-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Parker is way underrated he creates all kinds of problems for opposing defenses with his ability to score in the paint. The reason the Spurs offence has been so good these last couple of years is because of Parker. Parker is the best PG in the league at attacking and finishing at the rim.

That's true but when TP decides to be non-aggressive on offense it hurt the team even more.

Pauleta14
10-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Can someone pm me a link please, mine (sportslemon) has an add I can't remove in the middle...

thanks!

SpursNextRomanEmpire
10-14-2012, 02:22 PM
No, easily.

Brazil
10-14-2012, 04:03 PM
the yearly trade parker for rondo thread ! good to see the next nba season starting

Timmy4ever
10-14-2012, 11:45 PM
It will never happens

eric365
10-15-2012, 08:41 AM
the yearly trade parker for rondo thread ! good to see the next nba season starting

It's the trade parker for CP3 usually
Does it means that Rondo is now > to CP3 or that Parker is not as good as before?

szkorhetz
10-15-2012, 09:09 AM
It's the trade parker for CP3 usually
Does it means that Rondo is now > to CP3 or that Parker is not as good as before?
I would easily pick Rondo before Cp3, TBH.

Kidd K
10-18-2012, 03:43 AM
That's not a fair comparison. Westbrook was the second best on his team. Parker was the MVP of the team. You can't seriously be comparing an MVP's performance to someone who is the second best on his team? Parker slightly outplaying their second best player, which is debatable, was not going to get it done for us. If anything Westbrook played more of a PG role. He distributed the ball and got out of the way so his teammates could do their thing. Parker's scoring wasn't enough to make up for the scoring drop-off from his teammates and his passing/distribution wasn't good enough to get them going either.

It's a perfectly fair comparison. Westbrook was frequently spoke of as better than Tony Parker for each of the last two seasons. Parker has outplayed Westbrook in almost EVERY meeting they've had.

Before the series, I was saying watch Westbrook suck at scoring. Why would I think that? He shoots 37% against Parker career. What did he shoot in the series? Shocker, 37%. Parker held his him down and you aren't giving him credit for it because you expected Parker to average 30/10 or something?

We got our asses kicked by insanely lucky shooting by people like Serge Ibaka, having no answer for Durant, getting jobbed by the refs on several occaisions (not just game 6), and certain fairly important players (Green, Splitter) being ghosts for us all series.

Also, saying "Parker is our best player and Durant is their best player", is not a good argument against Parker. Parker isn't close to Durant in dominance. On his best day he might end up with slightly more points than Durant on a normal Durant day. Anyway. . .this thread is about PGs. . .and my reply was to a guy who claimed Westbrook "exposed" Parker. I posted statistical facts proving that it was the other way around if anything, now you're throwing some crap in there about Durant who has nothing to do with it.

Fact is, the Thunder's top 2 players are better than our top 2 players because if you combined both our rosters, Durant would easily be the best player on that team by far. Parker's job was to outplay the guy at his position (who was considered to be better than him) and hold him down as much as possible. Parker's mission was accomplished.

It was up to the rest of the team to step up, and they didn't. Parker is literally the last guy I'd blame for our failure last year. He was our best player the entire season up to and including the WCF.

Much more to blame based on expectations and actual performance are: Splitter, Green, Bonner, Diaw, and Ginobili. And yes Ginobili. 3 terrible games 3 good games. All 3 of his terrible games resulted in losses. Also, 20 turnovers on 20 assists for the series? Garbage stats for our "second playmaker". He was good in a few games but too inconsistent to lead us to the Finals.

Parker's an easy guy to blame, but not only did he have an "expected performance", but he held Westbrook well below his expected level of production. If only mroe Spurs played their matchups as well as Parker, we'd have won that shit despite the refs trying to give it to OKC.

ThaBigFundamental21
10-18-2012, 12:13 PM
I would take Rondo. Parker's biggest strength is his scoring, we all know that. Particularly his scoring in the paint. His jumpshot is very streaky. Over the past few years we have seen Parker get taken away, in the playoffs. Teams with size beg Parker to come inside, he gets swatted, forced into awkward layups, or throws an ill advised pass from inside out. They don't fear his jumpshot, they sag in the paint. He has never been a great passer, and we know he is not a strong defender.
Rondo is more athletic, much better on D, and a much better passer. He could help our guys get better/easier shots. We have a lot of jumpshooters, I could see Rondo feeding them nicely. Also, getting Tim some easy baskets once in a while would be a nice change.
We know the Spurs have to get better on D, Rondo would be a step in the right direction.

portnoy1
10-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Everyone here knows I am not Parkers biggest fan, but this season I thought that Pop (or coach Bud's improved offense) finally gave Parker an advantage. Parker running around with the ball is always something I hated; Think 2009 playoffs. But the motion offense I have been begging for was put in place which allowed Parker to make passes from a safe area on the court without dribbling to much; ie guys coming off curls and off screens for jumpshots. Also the motion offense had guys like Duncan in one on one situations with the defense shifted because of multiple cuts and screens.

Rondo, Cp3 Calderon etc have made an assist killing of motion offense. Its Parkers turn to take advantage of that, and he did last season and will even more this season. I love Rondo's game, but he has negatives that the average fan won't notice like his assist are high, but so are his turnovers. He has a decent defense behind him, so that allows him to "GAMBLE" for steals. Oh an those rebounds are great, but when he runs in to get an offensive rebound and doesnt get it, his man ( a pg, usually a fast one) is able to get out in transition. While those triple dbls are awesome to watch, they come at a price as well. Not to mention his shooting is not that great but then neither is Parkers.

dunkman
10-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Rondo is better, tbh. He sets easy baskets for others when nothing goes well. His defense is also better. He's 3-4 years younger. And I think that if Chip works with him, he will shot too.

Not sure about his character, though.

EJFischer
10-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Sorry Tony. I would make that trade without a moment's hesitation.

Kidd K
10-18-2012, 09:21 PM
I would take Rondo. Parker's biggest strength is his scoring, we all know that. Particularly his scoring in the paint. His jumpshot is very streaky. Over the past few years we have seen Parker get taken away, in the playoffs. Teams with size beg Parker to come inside, he gets swatted, forced into awkward layups, or throws an ill advised pass from inside out. They don't fear his jumpshot, they sag in the paint. He has never been a great passer, and we know he is not a strong defender.
Rondo is more athletic, much better on D, and a much better passer. He could help our guys get better/easier shots. We have a lot of jumpshooters, I could see Rondo feeding them nicely. Also, getting Tim some easy baskets once in a while would be a nice change.
We know the Spurs have to get better on D, Rondo would be a step in the right direction.

I disagree with most of that tbh. I bolded your points so you know what I'm referring to.

on Parker's scoring: Parker is one of the few guys on our team who even score in the paint. He's typically one of our most efficient scorers, yet at the same time one of our biggest sources for points. Two things that usually don't mix. Any scoring we'd get from Rondo's passing, we'd lose with the big drop in scoring output from Parker to Rondo.

Parker's jumpshot: It's not that streaky, he's been hitting it very often over the last 2-3 years. All jumpshots are streaky, Parker's is not particularly more streaky than anyone else's. I would even argue that it should be considered consistent based on how the rest of the league performs that shot. It's also leagues better than Rondo's jumpshot which often seems non existant.

"they don't fear his jumpshot, they sag in the paint": Sorry, I thought you were talking about Rondo there for a second, since that comment applies to him far more than it does Parker. I think what you actually meant to say was, "they fear Parker's ability to drive more than his jumpshot", because Parker hits open jumpers far too often to "not fear it".

Rondo is more athletic: Sure, but not exactly faster, and that athleticism doesn't equate to better offense. Rondo's main trait that's superior to Parker's is his passing, and athleticism has nothing to do with it. Defense would be the other thing, but tbh, he's not leagues ahead of Parker since you're underrating Parker's D.

Rondo being "much" better on defense: He's better, but MUCH better? I'm not that sure. Parker is an underrated defender. He's held Russell Westbrook to 37% shooting throughout all of their matchups both in the regular season AND postseason. He also typically outplays Chris Paul when they match up, and gets the better of Steve Nash and many other "elite" point guards as well. Parker's underrated defensively because he doesn't pile up the steals stat. What he does do it stay in front of guys or funnel them the right direction so they can't get a decent look at the basket or their teammates. It isn't flashy, but it statistically works just as well if not better than gambling an extra 4-5 times to get one extra steal per game.

"we have a lot of jumpshooters": And we need to shoot jumpers less. We need to score in the paint more. Part of the reason our defense blows is because we take tons of jumpers and don't get back in time to fully set and get a score forced down out throats as we're not in position to defend yet. The last time it was good was when we were taking less jumpers and more close range post shots.

Spurs do have to get better on D, but the point guard spot, tbh, is pretty much either the #1 or #2 best defensive spot on the team right now. Perimeter defense typically isn't an issue except when we put in Gary Neal or one of the other scrub defenders on the bench. Our defense needs help at C/PF, and off the bench at pretty much every position but SF and maybe SG.

So adding Rondo doesn't really improve our defense, since we'd be going from a B+ defender to an A- or A one at one spot. Meanwhile, we're still a D+ defensively at whichever C/PF spot Tim Duncan isn't currently playing at, and are getting even older at SG.

PG is literally the one position that we're set at for years. No point in trying to improve it when much larger improvement can be done elsewhere.

Spursfan092120
10-18-2012, 11:45 PM
No. San Antonio's chances of winning a championship revolve around their chemistry. Messing with that chemistry for someone who might not even be an upgrade would be dumb.
This x 100. I would not trade anyone for any of our big 3 at this point. Until they're done, they're Spurs...we screw up our chemistry and Tim might as well retire.

Em-City
10-19-2012, 12:22 AM
Kidd K with some great arguments in this thread tbh.

Proxy
10-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Keeping Parker in this hypothetical situation is logical... but it would be nice if Parker could being the toughness that Rondo seems to be a part of with Boston. Having Jack back instead of RJ shows us how big of a difference the attitude of a leader can be for the team.

dunkman
10-20-2012, 11:43 AM
When Miami stiffened the defense (one of the best in the league), Rondo patiently run the point and still managed to found his team mates for the baskets. The effect is similar to having an unstoppable player, like Duncan was in his prime. Miami barely survived that series.

Cry Havoc
02-11-2013, 03:07 PM
i do that trade in a heart beat, we get younger and he also passes alot which is a + in my book...

problem is his scoring, but we dont need that since we have so many offensive weapons on the team

rondo has outplayed parker every h2h

:lmao

Celtics better without their assist whore.

Brazil
02-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Yes

:lol

DesignatedT
02-12-2013, 08:24 PM
:lol

dbreiden83080
02-12-2013, 08:25 PM
His bad attitude is kind of the X factor. Pop and he would likely clash..

SpursIndonesia
02-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Yes

Not sure if serious, a schtick thingy, right ? :lol

lefty
02-12-2013, 09:50 PM
No

TP is a better fit for our team, knows the system, knows how play with TD and Manu, and has a jump shot

exstatic
02-12-2013, 09:58 PM

Celtics better without their assist whore.

Assist whore is right. Read an article that he will make a more difficult less effective pass just to get an assist, rather than making a pass that leads to another easy pass that leads to an easy basket. You could front Duncan all day if Rondo were here. He'd never make the pass to the other big flashing to the FT line leading to a Duncan seal on his man and an easy layup or dunk.

8FOR!3
02-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Rondo's a glorified Andre Miller. But Andre Miller's much more likable. I'll keep the guy in his prime who's won multiple championships. When Rondo's Parker's age he'll be on his way downhill not uphill.

Mikesatx
02-12-2013, 11:24 PM
In the years long Parker vs. Manu debate I have always sided on the side of Manu. He may screw up but he is max effort all the time. Parker has always gone through stretches where he is all world and then can disappear at times. All that being said, Parker has won me over with his game over the last year and a half. The Spurs and their fans have been blessed with great talent, great coaching and great ownership and one of the Spurs tenants is loyalty. Tony, with the way he has been playing for the last two seasons, is a top 10 player in the league maybe top 5. That alone nixes the deal. Add what should be an extremely loyal fan base and it becomes hell no.

Tuddy
02-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Rondo can't shoot for shit

Tuddy
02-12-2013, 11:25 PM
and no player is nba history can finish around the basket like parker at his size

will_spurs
02-13-2013, 04:14 AM
The fail is strong in this thread.

Cry Havoc
02-13-2013, 04:26 AM
Weird, but suddenly there's a lot less stupidity in this thread. Wonder why the haters picked up their tents and left?

romain.star
02-13-2013, 06:48 AM
No

TP is a better fit for our team, knows the system, knows how play with TD and Manu, and has a jump shot

What was that? Are you depressed?

Killakobe81
02-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Weird, but suddenly there's a lot less stupidity in this thread. Wonder why the haters picked up their tents and left?

I never much cared for Frenchy but the kid can ball ...

I just dont get why SOME SPUR fans hate on him so much tbh ... Tony and Pop do not get enough praise support from most Spur fans. But Duncan & Manu can do no wrong ...

I know I lived in San Antonio for almost 3 years ...

ElNono
02-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Rondo fell off a cliff this season. As Bill Simmons points out, there's Local Cable Rondo (that loves to stat pad his assists and won't drive to the basket) and National TV Rondo (who is a terrific player and does everything to win).

When this thread was made, Rondo was overall the better player, IMO. Just like a few seasons ago Deron was beasting and clearly a top 2 PG in the league and now he's fat and done.

will_spurs
02-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Actually the stats say there's no cliff... http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rondora01.html

His production is actually better than it was in the last couple of seasons, including FG%, FT%, rebounds or points.

Rondo didn't fall off a cliff. It's just that the suspicion that he was a stat-padder and an asshole to his teammate has been proven to be true. The cinderella story is over and Boston playing better when he's injured is just icing on the cake.

DesignatedT
02-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Lol trying to justify yourself.

Cry Havoc
02-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Rondo fell off a cliff this season. As Bill Simmons points out, there's Local Cable Rondo (that loves to stat pad his assists and won't drive to the basket) and National TV Rondo (who is a terrific player and does everything to win).

When this thread was made, Rondo was overall the better player, IMO. Just like a few seasons ago Deron was beasting and clearly a top 2 PG in the league and now he's fat and done.

Rondo never passed the eye test tbh. Sure, he had some exceptional games in the playoffs, but just as often I'd find myself wondering how he put up such insane stats when I really never saw him make a play. I've never seen a point guard put up such gaudy numbers yet be invisible as often as being impressive.

Then the whole fiasco over the C's home statkeepers giving him assists for nothing came out, and a lot of things started to make sense.

Rondo is not and should never have been classified in the same category as Parker. He doesn't do anything particularly better than Tony except rebound. He's having his best statistical season and CLEARLY the C's are a better team without him (it might hurt them eventually but that's a depth issue, not a testament to how Rondo helped that team.

Plus, he's always had an attitude. He just would not fit on this Spurs team even if he were clearly better than Parker.

DesignatedT
02-13-2013, 12:23 PM
The fact that anyone would be willing to trade an all star PG who helped win us 3 rings for point guards with obvious attitude problems says one thing. I don't care what the stats are. People are clueless if they don't think Tony could have put up the best #s in the NBA at the PG spot if he played elsewhere.

Mel_13
02-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Parker for Rondo was never a good idea for the Spurs, but it was far from the worst 'TP for other PG' trade idea ever floated on ST:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115571